Contractors Legal Questions & Answers

If my home was built by a non licensed contractor is he still responsible for bad work?

I had a new house built by a non-licensed person. My roof leaks, is this person liable for repairs ?

02/01/2007 | Category » Contractors  State » ALL  #1449
Where can I find information pertaining to home improvement contracts?

02/05/2007 | Category » Contractors  State » DC  #423
What recourse do contractors have if I terminate the contract and hire someone else?

I hired a construction company for a rebuild of a multi-unit building. It was damaged by fire and I have a contract that pays in three installments. I have paid one installment and they are at the halfway point. The contract stated that work would be completed by 1 Nov 06. Ther...

02/05/2007 | Category » Contractors  State » AK  #435

A letter of commitment, commitment letter or loan commitment is a formal notification from a ...

What is a Letter of Commitment? Also, if a person were going to a bank to borrow up front money, would this letter of commitment from the Project Lender be good as collateral?

03/02/2007 | Category » Contractors  State » CA  #775
By law how much time do I have to give the contractor to do the work he was hired for?

I asked a contractor to cease work on my home because of substandard work. He is now off of the job for about a week and claims breach of contract because I have not yet allowed him the opportunity to return and finish the work. He was asked to return 9 days after his departure. ...

04/03/2007 | Category » Contractors  State » AK  #2522
Can a subcontractor file a notice to ensure a timely payment after a natural disaster?

As hurricane season approaches, many news items related to payment to cleanup contractors still remain. Can a subcontractor file a notice to owner in a county or other munincipality to ensure payment in a timely manner?

04/10/2007 | Category » Contractors  State » FL  #2900
How do I file a complaint against a contractor with the State Board of Contractors and BBB?

How do I file a complaint against a contractor with the State Board of Contractors and Better Business Bureau?

05/02/2007 | Category » Contractors  State » NC  #3568
Should I build my home as a private party or under an LLC for liability reasons?

I am going to be building a home for my family and will be the owner/builder. We have an alternate funding source and will not be getting a bank loan for the construction. The contractors we have selected are all recommended by friends who have had direct experience with them, ...

05/12/2007 | Category » Contractors  State » TX  #4543
What are my options if my new air conditioner is not working properly?

I just had installed a brand new HVAC unit - compressor, condensor and furnace about 37 days ago. They have come out to replace the compressor, the lines to the house, etc. and it still is not working properly. What are my options? I would like to go with another company, but ...

08/18/2007 | Category » Contractors  State » FL  #8035
Can a subcontractor persue payment from a customer if the contractor never paid?

If a subcontractor is not paid by the contractor, can the subcontractor pursue payment from the customer (ie: the entity who hired the contractor and for whom the subcontractor performed the work)? The work was performed in both Colorado (at the customer site) and in Florida ...

01/02/2009 | Category » Contractors  State » FL  #14900
Can an unlicensed contractor file suit for unpaid work?

I hired a man who has a side construction business to do work on my house. The job was delayed by over 2 months, which kept me from having tenants move into the house. It was also shoddy work, so I kicked him out of the house and had to have someone else come in to fix part of t...

01/02/2009 | Category » Contractors  State » AZ  #14904
What is the form called that the mortgage company needs to show home is ready for occupancy?

Mortgage company is asking for a form from builder, kind of like a certificate of occupancy, stating house is complete and liveable now. What is this called?

03/26/2009 | Category » Contractors  State » TX  #15763
I was not happy with work performed by a contractor and now he will not give me a refund

I hired a painter (One Man and a Brush); who by his own admission, his subcontractors did a bad job. After an attempt to fix the issues and various conversations and emails the owner stated to have the painters leave and he would refund my payment ($1195.00). He then retracted th...

04/28/2009 | Category » Contractors  State » ALL  #16246
Can the Contractor Change the Bid Price After Contract is Entered Into?

WE ARE SUBCONTRACTORS IN SARASOTA CO., WE HAVE JUST FINISHED A BIG JOB DOWNTOWN SARASOTA, THE CONTRACTOR KNOW WANTS TOO CHANGE OUR BID PRICE ON LINE ITEMS THAT WERE ON ALL OUR DRAWS ON AN AIA DOCUMENT AND A SIGNED AIA CONTRACT WE HAD WITH THEM BEFORE WE EVEN STARTED THE JOB LAST ...

07/26/2009 | Category » Contractors  State » FL  #17799
What is the Definition of Commencement of Construction?

a condition within a general warranty deed required that the Grantee ' commence construction of its facility within ten years from...Wuat actions would constite commencement of construction and would items like final plat approval and building permits be required to have been com...

01/09/2011 | Category » Contractors  State » OK  #23975