How do I file a complaint against the county district attorney?

02/01/2007 - Category:Courts - Attorneys - State: CA #1371

Full Question:

How do I file a complaint against the county district attorney?


Complaints Against Attorneys
1-800-843-9053 (toll free in California)
213-765-1200 (from outside California)

All lawyers who practice in California must live up to ethical standards imposed by the California Supreme Court and the State Legislature. As an arm of the California Supreme Court, the State Bar investigates and prosecutes complaints against lawyers.

Depending on the seriousness of the offense, a lawyer can be given a warning, put on probation, suspended from practicing law for a period of time, or disbarred - prohibited from practicing law in California.

The Bar has limited authority to discipline lawyers for such behavior as rudeness or making a single honest mistake. It is limited by law only to complaints about unethical behavior as defined in the Rules of Professional Conduct and/or the State Bar Act.

There is no fee to file a complaint. You also do not have to be a U.S. citizen. When you register a complaint, you should supply photocopies of any papers, such as letters or canceled checks, that relate to the problem. The State Bar will let you know by postcard that your complaint form has been received. Your complaint will then be input into the computer system. A State Bar lawyer will read your complaint and determine how the complaint will proceed. This process can take from two to three weeks. Your complaint will then be assigned to the person that will conduct the investigation. You will be informed of its status by a State Bar representative.

At the end of the investigation you will be informed in writing whether or not the matter will proceed to prosecution in the State Bar Court or be closed.

Please see the information at the following links: Please see the forms at the following links:

02/01/2007 - Category: Attorneys - State: CA #1371

See more Questions in the Attorneys Category