Can you explain what conspiracy charges are and what evidence is needed to bring these charges?

11/29/2007 - Criminal - State: NC #13045

My brother was on the run for 2 failures to appear on assualt charges, he learned that the Feds had a Federal Indictment for conspiracy. He has been arrested and is in Federal Prison awaiting trail. I know that the charge involves drugs but that's all. Can you explain what conspiracy charges are and what type of evidence is needed to bring these charges against someone?

Answer:

The following are North Carolina statutes:

§ 90-86. Title of Article.
This Article shall be known and may be cited as the "North Carolina Controlled Substances Act."
§ 90-98. Attempt and conspiracy; penalties.
Except as otherwise provided in this Article, any person who attempts or conspires to commit any offense defined in this Article is guilty of an offense that is the same class as the offense which was the object of the attempt or conspiracy and is punishable as specified for that class of offense and prior record or conviction level in Article 81B of Chapter 15A of the General Statutes.
§ 14-2.4. Punishment for conspiracy to commit a felony.
(a) Unless a different classification is expressly stated, a person who is convicted of a conspiracy to commit a felony is guilty of a felony that is one class lower than the felony he or she conspired to commit, except that a conspiracy to commit a Class A or Class B1 felony is a Class B2 felony, a conspiracy to commit a Class B2 felony is a Class C felony, and a conspiracy to commit a Class I felony is a Class 1 misdemeanor.
(b) Unless a different classification is expressly stated, a person who is convicted of a conspiracy to commit a misdemeanor is guilty of a misdemeanor that is one class lower than the misdemeanor he or she conspired to commit, except that a conspiracy to commit a Class 3 misdemeanor is a Class 3 misdemeanor.

Please see the information at the following links:

http://definitions.uslegal.com/c/conspiracy/

11/29/2007 - Category: Criminal - State: NC #13045

See more Questions in the Criminal Category