Am I Still Liable for Debt That a Judge Awarded My Ex in Our Divorce?

01/09/2007 - Debts and Credit - State: IN #258

My ex-husband was awarded possession of our 2005 Ultra Classic Harley. It states in our divorce papers that he would be responsible for the loan secured by the Harley, and that I would be free of all liability concerning this loan. The judge ordered that he get a loan for the bike so that I would be removed from any liability. He never got a new loan and is now 3 months behind on payments. Harley Davidson credit is calling and harassing me. I have given them his address and phone number. They say that our divorce is a civil suit and that I am still liable for the debt. Is this true?

Answer:

Since repayment of this loan was assigned to your ex-husband by the court, he could be in contempt of court for not refinancing the loan as ordered. From a creditor's viewpoint, a debt incurred by both spouses during the marriage or debts incurred on a joint credit card or line of credit during a separation are the responsibility of both people. The creditor does not care how a divorce judgment assigns the debt. The creditor just wants the debt repaid by the people who promised to pay when the lender made the loan.

Please see the information at the following links: Please see the forms at the following links:

01/09/2007 - Category: Debts and Credit - State: IN #258

See more Questions in the Debts and Credit Category