Where do I need to file for divorce, the state I was married or where I live?

01/03/2007 - Divorce - State: DE #65

Full Question:

I was married in Cambridge, Maryland. Do I have to go to Cambridge, Maryland to get a divorce or can I file papers in Delaware or anywhere in Maryland.


In Delaware, at least one of the parties to the action for divorce must have resided within the State of Delaware for at least six continuous months immediately prior to the commencement of the action for divorce. The petition may be filed in the county where either party resides.

In Maryland, if the grounds for divorce occurred outside of the State of Maryland, at least one of the parties to the divorce must have resided in Maryland for at least one year immediately prior to the filing of the action.

Please see the information at the following links: Please see the forms at the following links:

01/03/2007 - Category: Divorce - State: DE #65

See more Questions in the Divorce Category