When should I stop paying child support if child becomes of age in middle of school year?

04/24/2007 - Category:Divorce - Child Support - State: ALL #3285

Full Question:

If Tennessee divorce decree states that "child support shall terminate when the minor child of the parties reaches the age of majority or otherwise becomes emancipated, or unless otherwise ordered by the court", and the child turns 18 in February but is still a senior in high school, can child support legally stop being paid in February, or can child support be ordered to continue until the end of high school or until the end of college? No past child support is due, all payments are made on time.


Tennessee has no statute or case law holding a parent to a duty to pay for college expenses.

Please see the information at the following links: Please see the forms at the following links:

04/24/2007 - Category: Child Support - State: ALL #3285

See more Questions in the Child Support Category