Divorce » Separation Agreements Legal Questions & Answers

If my father has property but owes for child support if there a way to take his property?

My family and I currently reside in California. Approximately seven years ago, we lived in a small town in Mexico on the border with New Mexico. My parents bought property in New Mexico while we resided in Mexico. The property is under my father's name only. My parents, who wer...

01/03/2007 | Category » Separation Agreements  State » NM  #107
How do I garnish my ex-husband for my alimony?

I need to file a petition and an order to have my alimony garnished from my ex-husband's paycheck. How can I go about doing this without an attorney?

01/04/2007 | Category » Separation Agreements  State » TN  #119
Is there a statute of limitations on when a debt can be collected?

01/09/2007 | Category » Separation Agreements  State » FL  #273
What is the effect of a legal separation in terms of dating other people?

01/09/2007 | Category » Separation Agreements  State » SC  #277
Is it ok to date other people when legally separated from my husband?

When you go through a legal separation and both parties (or just one party) want to see if they are happier dating other people, is that possible without getting into legal trouble when there's a child involved?

01/09/2007 | Category » Separation Agreements  State » GA  #302
What is the law regarding dating when legally separated?

I am filing for my legal separation. What are the laws about dating again in South Carolina? We do have 3 children and my husband is threatening me that if I start dating while we are legally separated, he is going to fight for custody.

02/01/2007 | Category » Separation Agreements  State » SC  #890
If I am not legally separated can I still date?

If I am separated (but not a formal separation), is there any problem with my dating?

02/01/2007 | Category » Separation Agreements  State » NV  #1002

Michigan permits an action for separate maintenance. It is filed in the same manner and on t...

If you are to get a legal separation, is it ok to go on with your life with any other person, and how long would it take to get a separation compared to a divorce?

02/01/2007 | Category » Separation Agreements  State » MI  #1235
How do I legally separate from my husband who has an alcohol abuse problem?

I would like to find out about a legal separation regarding my husband’s alcohol abuse. I would like him to get help for this. He feels he does not have a problem.

02/01/2007 | Category » Separation Agreements  State » MI  #1366
Can I still legally separate from my husband even if he does not want it?

If I want a separation and my husband does not want one, can I still get one?

02/01/2007 | Category » Separation Agreements  State » OK  #1369
What are the requirements in New Jersey to be separated?

What are the requirements in New Jersey to be separated? Do you have to be out of the house or just out of the room. We are not yet considering divorce, but haven't slept in the same room in over 3 months.

02/01/2007 | Category » Separation Agreements  State » NJ  #1458
What happens if my wife dies while we are legally separated?

My husband and I have been legally separated for three years. What happens if he were to die? Am I still considered his wife or does his estate go to his daughter?

02/02/2007 | Category » Separation Agreements  State » PA  #414
Is my ex-wife still entitled to a share of my 401Kif we have been divorced for over year?

I have been divorced for a year and a half. Is my ex-wife still entitled to a share of my 401K?

02/07/2007 | Category » Separation Agreements  State » CA  #457
Could I still get alimony if I have prenuptial agreement?

I have a prenuptial agreement. I have been married one year and three months after having dated this man over ten years. Since we have been married, he has been mentally abusive to me and threatened a divorce and to kick me out of his home numerous times. What are my odds of gett...

02/08/2007 | Category » Separation Agreements  State » TN  #586
What form is needed in Nevada to notify a spouse that we are legally separated?

Need to notify spouse that we are separated. What form can used in the State of Nevada?

02/16/2007 | Category » Separation Agreements  State » NV  #740
How long is a legal separation in California good for?

Legal separation in California: How long is it good for? Can it be stopped for reconciliation? What forms are required? Can I file without an attorney?

03/19/2007 | Category » Separation Agreements  State » CA  #1733
If my husband and I get legally separated can I receive spousal support from him?

If my husband and I get legally separated can I receive spousal support from him? If not spousal support, can I get child support from him? If so how many times a month, because he gets paid every Friday?

04/01/2007 | Category » Separation Agreements  State » MS  #2446
If we signed a legal separation but have moved back in together is the separation void?

We have been married for 5 years. Last year we went to a lawyer’s office to make a separation contract. We signed it March of 2006. However two months later, we came back and began living together again. Are we still legally married? Our attorney said that the separatio...

04/03/2007 | Category » Separation Agreements  State » VA  #2577
What does it take to legally separate a spouses financial debts from each other?

What does it take to legally separate a spouses financial debts from each other in Massachusetts?

05/08/2007 | Category » Separation Agreements  State » MA  #4153
Is a notarized letter of separation dividing marital property worth anything in court?

My friend has been married for about 15 years. He bought a house together with his wife (although he paid for the house out of his own money in cash by himself) and he has it in both of their names. They have no children together. And they also have a cleaning business togethe...

05/15/2007 | Category » Separation Agreements  State » FL  #4858

We would have to see the agreement to adequately respond to your question.

My husband and I were married for 30 years - last year we separated. He had his attorney draw up an agreement between us and because I couldn't afford an attorney - I signed the agreement believing he wouldn't try to do me wrong. Is this separation agreement a final contract - ...

07/06/2007 | Category » Separation Agreements  State » NC  #6960
What is a bona fide separtion?

What is a bona fide separtion?

10/31/2007 | Category » Separation Agreements  State » GA  #11313
How is Child Support and Alimony Calculated in a Separation Agreement

I want to file for legal separation. How should alimony and child support be calculated? I have been a full time student for the past two years and my spouse has been solely responsible for household expenses.

12/09/2007 | Category » Separation Agreements  State » KY  #13611
How do I find a summary of court opinion for North Carolina separation agreement?

How do I find a summary of court opinion for North Carolina separation agreement, and how can I tell if it is a court opinion? Also, I need to find citations on North Carolina laws.

02/20/2009 | Category » Separation Agreements  State » NC  #15303
Where can I find a form for the division of property in a same sex relationship?

I am in a lesbian relationship and I am trying to find a dissolution agreement. I saw a separation agreement but I am not sure if that is the right form. We do have joint property that needs to be split up.

03/29/2009 | Category » Separation Agreements  State » OR  #15810
Do we restate the information from the post nuptial in the separate maintenance agreement?

My husband and I are considering filing a separate maintenance agreement but have a post nuptial agreement that specifies the division of assets and debts not including personal property and our home. Is it necessary to restate the information from the post nuptial in the separa...

04/12/2009 | Category » Separation Agreements  State » MI  #15957
Are my divorce papers now considered to be my legal seperation papers?

I filed for an uncontested divorce in June 2008, it was denied because we haven't been legally seperated for one year. Are my divorce papers now considered to be my legal seperation papers? If I refile for divorce in June 2009 will it be approved?

04/13/2009 | Category » Separation Agreements  State » NY  #15959
Is my fiancee required legally to return the engagement ring to me?

I have broken off the engagement with my fiancee after realizing I did not want to spend the rest of my life with her. I gave her an expensive engagement ring which I paid for but she refuses to return. Legally in GA, should she return the ring to me?

04/15/2009 | Category » Separation Agreements  State » GA  #16017
Please explain what the separation in Separation Agreement mean?

I want to separate with my spouse and set up the grounds to divorce in one year by doing so. I understand that to divorce, a separation agreement may be used (that is notarized by both parties) to facilitate divorce one year after living SEPARATE AND APART. - I would like to know...

04/28/2009 | Category » Separation Agreements  State » ALL  #16330
Do Both Spouses Need to Sign a Separation Agreement?

My son is going to court in the morning to sign a separation agreement. He recently like yesterday found out she had changed their initial agreement for payments. He did not get legal representation as he was told this was an informal event. Does he need a lawyer? What if he does...

07/28/2009 | Category » Separation Agreements  State » SC  #17834
What's the Next Step After A Separation Agreement is Signed in Delaware?

I was forced to sign a temporary separation agreement; which ex-husband wrote and not notarized. What is the next step?

07/30/2009 | Category » Separation Agreements  State » DE  #17877