How can I bring a gold bar to the US legally for sale?

04/27/2009 - Category:Immigration - Passports - State: FL #16218

Full Question:

I will be traveling to the United States soon and I have a 1 kg gold bar that I would like to take to the U.S. to sell; I will be carrying it on me. Do I have to declare it? what is the legal way to proceed?


The answer will depend on all the facts involved, such as whether you are a US resident, the length of your trip, the originating country, and the dollar value. Gold coins, medals, and bullion, formerly prohibited, may be brought into the United States. However, under regulations administered by the Office of Foreign Assets Control, such items originating in or brought from Cuba, Iran, Iraq, Libya, Serbia, and Sudan are prohibited entry. Copies of gold coins are prohibited if not properly marked by country of issuance.

Please see the information at the following link:

Please see the forms at the following links:

Please see the information at the following links to determine applicability:

04/27/2009 - Category: Passports - State: FL #16218

See more Questions in the Passports Category