Minors » Age of Majority Legal Questions & Answers

Can a Minor own or lease real estate?

Can a Minor own or lease real estate?

01/05/2007 | Category » Age of Majority  State » AL  #173
What actions can the finance company take to recoup their money if the purchaser was a minor?

A 16 year old minor responding to an advertisement enters into a contract with Auto Dealer, for the purchase of an auto. The contract calls for the minor to pay $1,000.00 up front and to finance the rest of the purchase price in monthly installments over a three year period to AB...

01/08/2007 | Category » Age of Majority  State » AL  #215
At what age can my step children choose to live with me after the divorce?

At what age can my step children choose to live with me after the divorce? They do not want to live with their real mother.

01/12/2007 | Category » Age of Majority  State » MT  #382
How old does a child have to be to make a decision to live with the other parent in a divorce?

02/01/2007 | Category » Age of Majority  State » AZ  #909
What is the legal age for a child to leave the home with or without parental consent?

03/03/2007 | Category » Age of Majority  State » GA  #790
If my niece is 18 can she leave the state without parental consent to finish school in home state?

My niece will be 18 in Dec. She wants to come back to her home state of Ohio to graduate school. Since she will be 18 isn't she allowed to come back on her own with out parental consent?

03/26/2007 | Category » Age of Majority  State » SC  #1891
What is the age of majority in Missouri?

My two teen daughters, 16 and 17, keep trying to tell me that at age 17 they can make legal decisions on their own, that they can have sex legally with someone over 18 without that person getting into trouble. I do not agree. It is my understanding that I am responsible for them ...

03/30/2007 | Category » Age of Majority  State » MO  #2392
Can my nephew legally move out at age 17 to help care for his son?

My nephew is 16, will be 17 in 2 months. He has a baby, which the mother is 16 also. He lives in Florida with his dad. His mom is here in Georgia. My nephew wants to move to Georgia with the baby. So he can get more help to raise him. What are his rights to the baby as his father...

04/14/2007 | Category » Age of Majority  State » FL  #3100
Can you move out if you are only 17 when you graduate?

I hve a friend that is 17 and is about to graduate. She was wondering if she could move out when she graduates or does she have to wait untill her 18th birthday?

04/15/2007 | Category » Age of Majority  State » MI  #3113
Is there a way for a 17 year old be considered an adult without becoming emancipated?

A friend of my daughters who we will call Harry is 17. His mother is an alcholic and is very verbally abusive and somewhat physically abusive. He wants to move out and move in with his friend and his friends family. Can he do this without having to go through the courts and do...

04/16/2007 | Category » Age of Majority  State » TX  #3123
What age are you considered an adult in Ohio?

What age are you considered an adult?

04/23/2007 | Category » Age of Majority  State » OH  #3278
What property is considered mine when I leave my mother's home?

I'm 18 and planning to move out soon. My mother is quite unhappy and thinks I am still in need of supervision. If I do move out, what exactly determines what property belongs to me? Does everything such as my furniture and everything in my bedroom belong to me? Would my cell phon...

04/28/2007 | Category » Age of Majority  State » FL  #3389
In Pennsylvania if I am 18 can I refuse to go home or will I be put in jail?

I am 18; if i refuse to go home, can the police send me to jail or force me to go home?

04/29/2007 | Category » Age of Majority  State » PA  #3416
At what age are you legally considered an adult in the state of Florida?

05/13/2007 | Category » Age of Majority  State » GA  #4613
What is the Age of Majority in Illinois?

What is the legal age to move out and the legal age to drop out of school? Since I am only 17 my car is in my parents name how would I get that into my name?

05/15/2007 | Category » Age of Majority  State » IL  #4859
What is the age in Georgia to be considered the Age of Majority?

05/27/2007 | Category » Age of Majority  State » GA  #5974

The age of majority in Indiana is twenty-one. Regarding school compulsory attendance, Indiana ...

Can a child who turns 18 leave home while still in high school?

06/01/2007 | Category » Age of Majority  State » IN  #6112
What is the age of majority in Alabama?

What is the age of majority in Alabama?

06/17/2007 | Category » Age of Majority  State » AL  #6485
In New York, at what age is the liability of support for children released?

I have been told that a parent is required to fully support their child in terms of living expenses, i.e. food and shelter until the age of twenty-four. Under New York statutes, is this true?

06/23/2007 | Category » Age of Majority  State » NY  #6631

Conduct that harms other people or their property is generally called a tort. It is a private...

My twenty year old son left home and has applied for social services. Am I responsible for his medical bills or any trouble that he might get in?

07/05/2007 | Category » Age of Majority  State » NY  #6934
In New York, anyone over the age of 18 is considered an adult.

Is the age of majority 18 or 21 for New York State? I've seen conflicting information online. My daughter is 17, planning to attend college and wants to live with her 19 year old boyfriend. I am opposed to this and need to know my legal rights. Once she turns 18 are my hands ...

07/06/2007 | Category » Age of Majority  State » NY  #6939
Is it illegal for a 22 year old to have sex with a 17 year old in NY?

09/23/2007 | Category » Age of Majority  State » NY  #8948
How old do you have to be to move out of your parents home?

09/24/2007 | Category » Age of Majority  State » GA  #9014
What is the age of majority in South Carolina?

Our 16 year old daughter has talked about moving out when she turns 17 to live with friends. Could you tell me what her legal rights are (and possibly what our rights are)? At what age is she allowed to move out on her own without parental consent in South Carolina?

11/05/2007 | Category » Age of Majority  State » SC  #11687
What is the age of majority in Ohio?

What was the date that the age of majority in OHIO (where I grew up) changed from 21 to 18?

11/30/2007 | Category » Age of Majority  State » IA  #13105
Is my son considered an adult at age 18 in South Carolina or should we emancipate him?

In South Carolina, do I have to emancipate my 18 year old defiant-type son? He still lives at home, but we don't want liability for what he does and if he wants to go to college, he will do better obtaining Federal scholarships such as Pell grants if we are 'divorced' from all r...

01/01/2009 | Category » Age of Majority  State » SC  #14899
How Does a Parent of an Adult Protect Their Assets from the Child's Reckless Behavior?

Our 19 year old son puts us in harms way of loosing our home due to being sued. He drives his friends cars without a driver's license and sometimes ours without our knowledge. He does drugs and many other things that could contribute to an accident. He lives at home and current...

04/06/2010 | Category » Age of Majority  State » CA  #21701