Minors » Emancipation of Minor Legal Questions & Answers

What is the legal age to establish emancipation in Louisiana?

What is the legal age to establish emancipation in Louisiana? Does the law vary by the parish?

01/03/2007 | Category » Emancipation of Minor  State » LA  #54
How old does a kid have to be in Alabama to get emancipated?

How old do kids have to be in Alabama to get emancipated?

01/09/2007 | Category » Emancipation of Minor  State » AL  #290
What are the requirements to become emancipated?

I am 14 years old. Both of my parents are alcoholics and I can't depend on them. I have been in foster care for 3 or 4 months now. Is there a way that I can get a job and take care of myself. I have heard the word emancipation. Is it possible for a 14 year old to be emancipated?

01/12/2007 | Category » Emancipation of Minor  State » MN  #359
How can I become emancipated at 16 in Texas if I already have a child myself?

I am 16 years old and have a 2 month old daughter and still currently live with the father of my child and living with my parents. The father is going overseas. How can I get emancipated in Texas?

01/12/2007 | Category » Emancipation of Minor  State » TX  #364
Can the police force a minor to move home even if parents do not want minor at home?

A 17 year old female told mother and stepfather she wanted to leave home after a long time of emotional distress at home, and they allowed this to happen, knowing where she was going to be. She got a job and was still attending school except for one day when she was sick and fail...

01/12/2007 | Category » Emancipation of Minor  State » TX  #365
How old does a minor have to be before he or she can move out of the parent's home?

01/12/2007 | Category » Emancipation of Minor  State » IL  #377
If my son is emancipated will he still be able to receive his father's death benefits?

If a 16yr old boy wants to become emancipated from his mother, can he without her consent? He receives $1200 PER Month death benefit from his father. His mother uses half of this to help pay for home expenses, auto insurance for him ($400/MO). He feels that he should get the w...

02/01/2007 | Category » Emancipation of Minor  State » AK  #1234
What are the requirements for a teen to become emancipated in Washington?

I have two questions:

1. What are the requirements for a teen to become emancipated in Washington?

2. What are the laws on a teen running away from Washington to Oregon?

02/01/2007 | Category » Emancipation of Minor  State » WA  #1291
Does an emancipated minor have the right to purchase tobacco products or enter a bar?

If a 17 year old female is emancipated in the state of Louisiana, does she have the right to purchase tobacco products or go into a bar room as if she were really 18?

02/01/2007 | Category » Emancipation of Minor  State » LA  #1340
What steps do I have to take to become emancipated from my parents?

02/01/2007 | Category » Emancipation of Minor  State » MS  #1367
Can a 17 year old girl with child who is going to an alternative school be emancipated?

Can a 17 year old girl with child who is not working and going to an alternative school be emancipated?

02/01/2007 | Category » Emancipation of Minor  State » IN  #1395
At what age can a minor be emancipated in the state of South Carolina?

02/07/2007 | Category » Emancipation of Minor  State » SC  #456
If a child is emancipated is he able to get married without the permission of the child's parents?

If a child is emancipated is he able to get married without the permission of the child's parents or the court?

02/08/2007 | Category » Emancipation of Minor  State » CA  #503
At what age can my son leave home without my consent?

02/08/2007 | Category » Emancipation of Minor  State » LA  #528
At what age and on what grounds will an emancipation be legally granted?

03/21/2007 | Category » Emancipation of Minor  State » OK  #1992
What are the requirements for emancipation in New York?

What is the legal age a child can emancipate from their parents in New York state and what is the procedure to have this done?

03/23/2007 | Category » Emancipation of Minor  State » NY  #2081
What is the differance between a notarial emancipation and a judicial emancipation?

What is the differance between a notarial emancipation and a judicial emancipation? Are they both equally effective in releasing the parent from civil libility?

03/27/2007 | Category » Emancipation of Minor  State » LA  #2218
What are the requirements to become emancipated in Utah?

I have a 17 year old friend (female) who is living with her mom and dad. Her dad is a drunk, and her mom is totally controlling. My friend is totally deaf, no one talks to her they only email or text to her. There is no physical communication only mechanical. She thinks of her h...

03/27/2007 | Category » Emancipation of Minor  State » UT  #2234
How old do I have to be to legally move out of my parents house?

03/27/2007 | Category » Emancipation of Minor  State » TX  #2238

Title 14, Art. 10, 1.6 (Colorado Statutes): Regarding child support orders, unless a court fin...

My daughter, an 18 year old senior in high school, and is living at home. She enlisted in the Colorado National Guard upon her 18th birthday. Does that impact her status relating to child support, etc, under the Colorado Emancipation of Minors Laws?

03/29/2007 | Category » Emancipation of Minor  State » CO  #2341

I'm 16 years old, and I just found out that I’m pregnant. Now my mother is trying to do a lot so that I can’t talk to the baby’s father or see him. His mother wants me to live with them so that we can be good parents and not be separated. What do I h...

04/02/2007 | Category » Emancipation of Minor  State » PA  #2476

Can a minor age 16 obtain emacipation from a mother who is alcoholic and is living with a man of questionable character and live with step mother?

04/03/2007 | Category » Emancipation of Minor  State » CO  #2571
Is it legal for my sister to movein with me now or will she have to wait for emancipation order?

I with my sister am going to be filing for an emancipation of a minor, but my sister does not yet live separate from her mother. We are filing this under the advice of legal aid and CPS, in order to remove her from having to live with her mother because of severe emotional abuse....

04/05/2007 | Category » Emancipation of Minor  State » TX  #2674

How to go about starting the emancipation process? I'm enquiring for a friend that is 17.

04/10/2007 | Category » Emancipation of Minor  State » PA  #2897
Is a teen who is pregnant considered emancipated?

If a 16 year old girl is pregnant, is she considered emancipated? If pregnancy does not automatically emancipate you, what procedure does one need to follow in order to get emancipated? Can a 16 year old who is pregnant legally choose to live with the father of the baby? Does pre...

04/10/2007 | Category » Emancipation of Minor  State » WA  #2921

If a child is 16 years old, being beaten and molested and raped by her father, can she legally get away from him? And if so, does she have the right to live with people who care about her and want to adopt her? Being that her mother is deceased, it is only her dad and step mothe...

04/11/2007 | Category » Emancipation of Minor  State » GA  #2927
What are the requirements for becoming emancipated?

I needed to know what were the steps in possibly becoming emancipated from my parent in the state of georgia and what all is required for me to qualify for the judge to agree to emancipating me. Also I need to know how does the informal agreement with a parent givivng rights to ...

04/13/2007 | Category » Emancipation of Minor  State » GA  #3084
In Indiana, what is the legal age to move out without having papers signed?

04/13/2007 | Category » Emancipation of Minor  State » IN  #3090

I am 17, and my mother is trying to kick me out of the house. She has legal custody over me, and my dad lives in in another state and I am not willing to move there. And I have a full time job. If my mom agrees to an emancipation, will it be that easy to obtain? Or will we still ...

04/16/2007 | Category » Emancipation of Minor  State » WA  #3120
What are the requirements to become emancipated in Illnois?

In Illinois, can a 17 year old boy become emancipated?

04/16/2007 | Category » Emancipation of Minor  State » IL  #3124
How can I live with my boyfriend if I am only 14 years old?

I'm 14 years of age and 6 months pregnant. My mother has a restriction order against my boyfriend who is the father of the baby. She does not want me to see my boyfriend because of his age. We want to live together and be left alone. What can we do?

04/18/2007 | Category » Emancipation of Minor  State » CO  #3195
If I become emancipated will I still receive my survivor benifits?

I am seventeen years old and am currently living with my parents. I am graduating from high school this year (a year early) and I'm considering filing for emancipation. I receive survivor benifits and my question is this, if I become emancipated will I still receive my survivor ...

04/24/2007 | Category » Emancipation of Minor  State » PA  #3302
How can I become emancipated?

I am 16 years old, me and my mother do not get along because she is to consumed in getting and keeping a man to notice me. My father lives in Indiana with his wife who is already expressed her dislike for his children. The only person that I can depend on for anything is me! Is t...

05/06/2007 | Category » Emancipation of Minor  State » MO  #3906
Can my daughter become emancipated even thought there are no problems at home?

How can a 17 year old emancipate herself if there is no real problem at home other then she wants to live with someone else? What are the options?

05/07/2007 | Category » Emancipation of Minor  State » FL  #4064

All of the references below are to Chapter 31 of Title 2 of the Texas Family Code.

Sec...

Can a seventeen year old move out of her parents house legally without her parents forcing her to return? I have a friend who is nineteen and she and I want to work and put our income into an apartment or house. What is required in order to get emancipated. Do my parents have to ...

05/10/2007 | Category » Emancipation of Minor  State » TX  #4403
What is the procedure of getting emancipated and how long does it take?

05/10/2007 | Category » Emancipation of Minor  State » FL  #4411
Is there a way to emancipate my fourteen year old because she is out of my control?

My fourteen child is a chronic runaway. She does not attend school. I've been to court many times to answer why shes not in school. She has been arrested 3 times and the courts do not do anything to her. She always seems to fall through the cracks. She is now currently on the run...

05/11/2007 | Category » Emancipation of Minor  State » CA  #4457
What is the process for my seventeen year old to become emancipated?

My 17 year old son wants to be emancipated. He is on probation. What requirements must he meet before he can start, and what is the process?

05/12/2007 | Category » Emancipation of Minor  State » LA  #4572
Until what age is a parent legally responsible for his child in the state of Georgia?

A youth has been abandoned by his biological father and mother. This child is living in vacant houses and not going to school. I have been allowing this child to get a meal, take a bath and just give encouragement. However his father seems to think that this young boy is a man an...

05/13/2007 | Category » Emancipation of Minor  State » GA  #4583
Can our 16 year old be emancipated if she is constantly in trouble?

Our 16-1/2 yr old daughter wants to leave home and live with her boyfriends family (whom I think is controlling and abusive). She has been in so much trouble this year w/school, law, drugs, etc. and counseling, juvenile detention has had no effect. I told her if she was to lea...

05/15/2007 | Category » Emancipation of Minor  State » TX  #4838
How old does a person have to be to move out of thier home with out parent consent?

05/16/2007 | Category » Emancipation of Minor  State » KY  #4970
I am a teen father and want to become emancipated?

I am a teen father and my parents will not let me see my daughter. How would I become emancapated?

05/22/2007 | Category » Emancipation of Minor  State » CA  #5546
How long is the process to become emancipated?

How long normally is the legal process of a minor being emancipated?

05/31/2007 | Category » Emancipation of Minor  State » LA  #6085

Termination of parental rights is generally only used in cases of giving up a child for adopti...

My son is 17. He has been in and out of detention for the past 3 years. He has dropped out of school, refused to live with me (he doesn't feel the need to follow rules), currently lives with his sister, sharing rent. He wants to be emancipated now. He'll be 18 in October. He has ...

06/05/2007 | Category » Emancipation of Minor  State » IN  #6172
How do I become emancipated?

I recently visited the juvenile court website in order to find information on becoming emancipated. I am 17, I turn 18 in December, but the situation Im in makes it hard to wait until that time comes. I am currently living with my aunt, who only has temporary guardianship of me. ...

06/07/2007 | Category » Emancipation of Minor  State » IN  #6245
Can I be emancipated at 15 in Alabama?

Im 15 years old Im a very responsible Im engaged to someone and I would like to do the emancipation minor act I understand the rights and I would aide by them.I was wondering if there is a way that I could do the act at the of 15.

06/10/2007 | Category » Emancipation of Minor  State » AL  #6298
How do I become legally emancipated if I am already living on my own?

What if you are an adopted minor and got kicked out of you house and have been living on your own. Is there any way to legally be an adult without bringing your legal gaurdians to court for emancipation?

06/13/2007 | Category » Emancipation of Minor  State » WA  #6420
Would me not listening to my parents or not having a job determine if I can be emancipated?

Im 15 and I can no longer get along with my parents. I dont see them as "parents" anymore because I don't feel they treat me like a child, so I "rebel" against their rules and go my own way. I do not have a job, but would the fact that I don't listen to them, and I don't have a j...

06/14/2007 | Category » Emancipation of Minor  State » NE  #6445
Can I become emancipated at 18 for reasons regarding college financial aid?

I am 18 years old. Can I legally be emancipated from my parents in order for me to go to college since my parents are unable to help me financially and will not provide their taxes for financial aid?

06/15/2007 | Category » Emancipation of Minor  State » FL  #6466
What are the requirements for becoming emancipated in Nebraska?

I live in Nebraska and I'm 16, and I want to get an emancipation, but I don't know how to go about getting one. What are the steps to getting an emancipation in Nebraska, and if I get one will I be able to move to Kansas?

06/17/2007 | Category » Emancipation of Minor  State » NE  #6482

My sister just turned 16 in May, can she request emancipation or separation from our mother in order to live with me? I am 29 years old. Our mother is mentally unstable (severely manic depressive), physically and verbally abusive, and living under those conditions, my sister too ...

06/21/2007 | Category » Emancipation of Minor  State » IN  #6593
What will happen if my parents do not attend my emancipation hearing?

If I have a hearing to become emanciapted and my parents do not attend, what will happen?

06/22/2007 | Category » Emancipation of Minor  State » CA  #6602
What if my parents do not go to my emancipation hearing, what will happen?

If l have a hearing to be emancipated and my parents can not go, what can l do or are they required to go?

06/22/2007 | Category » Emancipation of Minor  State » CA  #6603

As a general rule, a child is “emancipated,” or freed from parental contro...

I am 16 and my mother and I do not get along. She sometimes calls me names. I also have a little sister in my home. I do not want my little sister to see my mom and I yelling and screaming at each other 24/7. Can I be emancipated?

07/06/2007 | Category » Emancipation of Minor  State » OH  #6943
Kentucky has no emancipation law.

What are the requirements in Kentucky for emancipation if the minor has a child?

07/06/2007 | Category » Emancipation of Minor  State » KY  #6951

The state of Ohio does not have an emancipation law. A minor or parent is unable to file a leg...

I am 16 and want to be emancipated. I have a place where I can live and I'm about to start working. My parents will not agree to it. Is this possible? I am also on probation, but it will be terminated in October and I will turn 17 in November.

07/24/2007 | Category » Emancipation of Minor  State » OH  #7451
According to Wisconsin law, a person 18 years of age or older is considered to be an adult.

I am a 17 year old female and turn18 in December. I currently live at home, and my family has a lot of problems. I have a job, and believe that I would be able to support myself if need be. What would it take for me to be emancipated from my family?

08/13/2007 | Category » Emancipation of Minor  State » WI  #7899

In the State of Mississippi, the age of emancipation is twenty-one (21). Earlier emancipation...

What does a sixteen year old girl need to do to get emancipated in Mississippi?

08/20/2007 | Category » Emancipation of Minor  State » ALL  #8080
Can my little brother who is 10 move in with me if I become emancipated?

Im 15 years, I live with my mom and dad. They've been married for a long time now and recently we found out my mom was seeing another man on the side and she has moved out leaving us with my dad who is an alcoholic. I want to get emancipated but I have a little brother who's 10 y...

09/16/2007 | Category » Emancipation of Minor  State » CA  #8798
Is emancipation an option for me to get out of an abusive home?

My father has a past of addiction to drugs. In the past months I have witness him to snorting a pill and smoking pot. He is currently an alcoholic. He gets wild on drugs and threatens my mother, continuously threatening to kill her. I do not want to be around to witness this if i...

09/17/2007 | Category » Emancipation of Minor  State » KY  #8810
How long does the emancipated process usually take?

I'm 17 and my parents and I have had nasty fights on my "rights" for about 2 years. I have a job, a car, and a place to live. I believe all would be happier if I lived on my own. My parents have even suggested it, but when I brought it up to them they denied it. I turn 18 in Dece...

09/18/2007 | Category » Emancipation of Minor  State » CA  #8865
What is the minimum age to become emancipated?

I'm 14, I want to move out so bad. My parents are divorced and blah its been complicated. I know I can support my self by working at the deli. They let people 14 and up work there titusville has changed a lot. Me and my friend both want to move out. If me and her put all of are s...

09/18/2007 | Category » Emancipation of Minor  State » FL  #8867
Can my child's mother become emancipated if she is only 17?

My girlfriend just turned 17 and we just had a baby. Her mom doesn't like me staying there with her and the baby, so I cant help her with the baby. I was wandering if she could be emancipated.

09/20/2007 | Category » Emancipation of Minor  State » KY  #8894
If the parent is in favor of emancipated is the judge more likely to grant it?

My boyfriends dad wants to get him emancipated. So, will it be granted by court if the father of the minor is the one that wants to go through with the emancipation?

09/20/2007 | Category » Emancipation of Minor  State » OH  #8901
Do I need permission from my parents to become emancipated?

Can a minor be emancipated if one parent is willing to consent. The parent with primary custody in a divorce.

09/27/2007 | Category » Emancipation of Minor  State » AK  #9187
Can you become emancipated at age 15?

I was wondering if an 15 year old can get emancipated and if so how do you do it?

09/27/2007 | Category » Emancipation of Minor  State » NC  #9196
What are the requirements for becoming emancipated without parents permission?

My friend is 17 and she wants to become emancipated. Her mother let her move over the weekend and Tuesday my friend called her mother and her mother started laughing at her and told her she was stupid if she (my friend) thought that she(her mother) was going to let her stay. No...

09/27/2007 | Category » Emancipation of Minor  State » CA  #9215

My siutation with my parents haven't been the best for a few years now. They are seperated, which makes communication a struggle. My mother is emotionaly unstable, and my father has postpolio, which makes his nerves on edge constantly. Sometimes, we all get along, though most the...

09/29/2007 | Category » Emancipation of Minor  State » OH  #9297
Can you legally move out of your parents house at 17 in Texas?

10/03/2007 | Category » Emancipation of Minor  State » ALL  #9597
Is my 16 year old daughter emancipated since she just had a baby of her own?

My husband and I are not yet divorced, but we have been seperated for over 1 year. He lives in Las Vegas and I live in Utah. I currently am not employed and I am living with my parents while looking for a job and a home for my children and myself. Because I am not working...

10/04/2007 | Category » Emancipation of Minor  State » UT  #9632
Will I be emancipated by my verbally abusive parents?

If I have a friend to stay with and a job, will I most likely be emancipated by my verbally abusive parents?

10/05/2007 | Category » Emancipation of Minor  State » KS  #9682
How would my 17 year old sister-in-law get emancipated if one parent is deceased?

My sister-in-law is 17 and has a 2 year old. Her mother passed away 4 years ago and her Dad is a non-functional alcoholic. She is currently staying with her brother and I. She is currently not in school but would like to get her GED, drivers license, job, and apartment. Can s...

10/18/2007 | Category » Emancipation of Minor  State » LA  #10495
Do you need both parents permission to become emancipated?

In a situation of the parents being divorced, The minor lives with the father and wishes to be emancipated fom the Mother.

10/18/2007 | Category » Emancipation of Minor  State » CA  #10541
Could you please tell me how old a boy has to be to be emancipated from his mother in Indiana?

Could you please tell me how old a boy has to be to be emancipated from his mother in Indiana? My 15 year old grandson is physically and menally neglected and abused by his mother and he can't get the court to listen. Magistrate in court says he is too young to testify and/or do ...

10/19/2007 | Category » Emancipation of Minor  State » IN  #10560

I am 17 years old and I am in the states custody but I live with my sister. Is there any way for me to get emancipated?

10/19/2007 | Category » Emancipation of Minor  State » KS  #10570
What age do you have to be to be emancipated in the state of Illinois?

What age do you have to be to be emancipated in the state of Illinois? And how do you live after you have been emancipated?

10/19/2007 | Category » Emancipation of Minor  State » IL  #10596
How can I start filing an Emancipation?

How can I start filing an Emancipation? what do i need to do ?

10/19/2007 | Category » Emancipation of Minor  State » AZ  #10598
Do you have to have a parents consent in order to be an emancipated minor?

10/20/2007 | Category » Emancipation of Minor  State » VA  #10636

I'm currently a Sophomore at UNC Chapel Hill, but I want to be emancipated to be independent and transfer to an out of state school in FL. I am enlisted in the National guard which pays for my tuition and provides a steady income. How can I find out more about becoming emancipa...

10/23/2007 | Category » Emancipation of Minor  State » NC  #10797

If a girl of 17 years of age wishes to be emancipation, so that she can live with her fiancee', but she has a child by a another who has not been there and the fiancee' has been there from time of birth, what is the chance that she will be able to do so and live with him? He has ...

10/23/2007 | Category » Emancipation of Minor  State » FL  #10820

I am 16 years old. I would like to emancipate myself and my mom is ok with it. How long will the process take? Will I need parental consent from both parents?

10/24/2007 | Category » Emancipation of Minor  State » AZ  #10848
What are the reasons to become emancipated?

Is this the reasons to become emancipated in colorado: the parent and minor agree that the parent will cease support , the minor marries, the minor moves out of the family home, the minor becomess a member of the armed forces, the minor gives birth, the minor undertakes full-time...

10/25/2007 | Category » Emancipation of Minor  State » ALL  #10944
How old you have to be to become emacipated?

10/26/2007 | Category » Emancipation of Minor  State » CO  #11023

I'm sixteen (almost seventeen) and I'm wondering if there's anyway I can file for emancipation. I only live with one parent, which is my mother, and her only means of financial support are through a man (whom she does not like, but gives her money to support me) and he gives her ...

10/26/2007 | Category » Emancipation of Minor  State » IN  #11031
What are the requirements for emancipation?

I want to be emancipated but I do not know very much about it. What are the requirements for emancipation?

10/30/2007 | Category » Emancipation of Minor  State » MI  #11238
Is my friend's daughter considered emancipated since she became pregnant?

My friend's daughter became pregnant, carried the baby to almost full term, but lost the baby before. My question is: because of this, is she considered emancipated, due to the pregnancy, or is her mother still her guardian? The Dr. said due to the pregnancy, she was now emancipa...

10/30/2007 | Category » Emancipation of Minor  State » TX  #11254

I am 17 and my home life is a wreck. What will it take for me to get emancipated?

10/30/2007 | Category » Emancipation of Minor  State » TX  #11273

I am a 16 year old girl. I will be 17 in a couple of weeks. I was put into foster care when I was 13 and around the time I was 15 I did PLC with a foster family. I currently have a job and have numerous safe and healthy enviroments to stay for as long as needed. I am a junior and...

10/30/2007 | Category » Emancipation of Minor  State » PA  #11282
Can I become emancipated with no driver's license?

I am 16 yrs. old I will be 17 in March. I am in agreement with my parents to be emancipated but I have no job, no permit, or no license. I have really good living skills. Can I be emancipated?

10/31/2007 | Category » Emancipation of Minor  State » NY  #11307

What are the steps for a minor age 17 to take to get emancipation. Mother was arrested for drugs and 17 yr. old went to TX to live with sister in the military who is separating from the military in a week or so and refuses to take the 17 yr. old with her to South Carolina. The 17...

10/31/2007 | Category » Emancipation of Minor  State » TX  #11346

I just turned 17 and I live in Marion Indiana, and my mom and I argue all the time. My dad has nothing to do with me unless I am in trouble, and my mom is always wanting to kick me out of the house. When she says that she is kicking me out she turns around and says if I don't ret...

10/31/2007 | Category » Emancipation of Minor  State » IN  #11347

I'm sixteen years old, seventeen on April 7th. I live with my two younger siblings, my overly stressed mother, and my alcoholic father. I've been struggling with growing depression for about six years. I've been thinking about becoming emancipated for a while now, and I'm even lo...

11/01/2007 | Category » Emancipation of Minor  State » FL  #11440

I am 16 years old and I have been in foster care for almost 10 years. My foster parents drink all the time, they are very hypocritical, and they make me feel emotionally unstable. Is it possible that I can get emancipated in this situaion?

11/02/2007 | Category » Emancipation of Minor  State » CA  #11464

I am fifteen years old. My father has a past of abusing my mother and I, yet he does not do it on a regular basis. He displays emotional abuse on a regular basis, severely beats my mother once or twice a year, and sometimes hits me during his fits of anger. He abuses steroids, an...

11/02/2007 | Category » Emancipation of Minor  State » NC  #11498
What can I do to become emancipated since my mom is an alcoholic?

I am 16 and will be 17 in 4 months. My mom is an alcoholic and we fight all the time. What can I do to get emancipated at 17?

11/02/2007 | Category » Emancipation of Minor  State » ALL  #11502

What is required to be emancipated and what are the reasons allowed for emancipation?

11/02/2007 | Category » Emancipation of Minor  State » OH  #11516
What is the ago one can become emancipated in New York?

11/03/2007 | Category » Emancipation of Minor  State » NY  #11561
What must one do to become emancipated in Michigan?

How likely is it that in MI a 16 yr old daughter would be granted emancipation? What are the steps the daughter should take to be emancipated? Are there any fines or fees?

11/05/2007 | Category » Emancipation of Minor  State » MI  #11636
I do I become emancipated?

My parents just crossed the line and I would like to get emancipated what do I have to prove to the court. How do I tell my parents I really want this?

11/05/2007 | Category » Emancipation of Minor  State » VA  #11652
What are the requirements for me to become emancipated?

I have some situations at home and I would like to try to go to court to be emancipated but my mom is not willing to just sign so I'm going to have to fight her. I need to know if I even have a little bit of a chance. I am sure that a lot of teenagers try to get emancipated to pa...

11/05/2007 | Category » Emancipation of Minor  State » NV  #11654
How do I become emancipated in the state of Florida?

I am 15 and am about to turn 16 in 3 months. I live with my grandparents but they are unsuitable as guardians. They are both 81 and are suffering from many different things, and have "lost they're minds" in a medical sense. My 19 year old friend who financially could support me i...

11/06/2007 | Category » Emancipation of Minor  State » FL  #11729
What can I do to become emancipated?

I am 15 years old and hate my life. I fight with my parents all the time. Can you please explain what emancipation is and what it takes?

11/06/2007 | Category » Emancipation of Minor  State » KS  #11731
What are the requirements to become emancipated in Maine?

If I wanted to get emancipated, could babysitting be considered a job, if I have been babysitting for the same family for the last two years, and I babysit every Thursay, Friday, and Saturday? I do get paid well, and a friends parent said I could stay with them free of rent. So, ...

11/07/2007 | Category » Emancipation of Minor  State » ME  #11791
Can I become emancipated if I am 16 and have a baby already?

I am 16 years old and have a 4 month old baby. Can I move out of my parents house? If not then why?

11/07/2007 | Category » Emancipation of Minor  State » GA  #11817
What are the requirements for me to become emancipated if I am 16?

I am a 16 year old girl living with my father and stepmother. I am having a difficult time living with my parents. There's too much stress and we do not get along at all. Is there anyway I can be emancipated?

11/07/2007 | Category » Emancipation of Minor  State » IA  #11831
How old does a child have to be to become emancipated in North Caroline?

At what age can a child move out of the family home without being a runaway in North Carolina or without parent's consent ?

11/07/2007 | Category » Emancipation of Minor  State » OK  #11846
Is it possible for me to become emancipated even though I have bipolar disorder and am on medication

I am a 16 year old boy turning 17 on soon and I want to be emancipated. I am on medications and I have bipolar disorder. I am not a danger to myself or to those around me. I am pretty much stable. I do not rely on noone but myself and I go to therepy once a week and take my medic...

11/08/2007 | Category » Emancipation of Minor  State » NY  #11879
Is there a way for my younger sister to live with me legally?

My sister is 15 and no longer wants to live with my parents. She wants to live with me, so how would she do that if our parents will not let her?

11/08/2007 | Category » Emancipation of Minor  State » MI  #11881
What can be done if a 17 year old moves out of parents home without permission?

What happens if 17 year old moves out against her parents will due to unstable living conditions?

11/08/2007 | Category » Emancipation of Minor  State » LA  #11896
What are the requirements for a 17 year old to become emancipated?

My son has a friend and he is 17 and his mother and father are deceased and lives with his grandmother and wants to move out and move into our home. His grandmother had full custody of him, and will not let him leave home. If he does she is threatning him by telling him she is go...

11/08/2007 | Category » Emancipation of Minor  State » AL  #11906
Can I divorce my mom and dad if I am 16?

Can I divorce my mom and step dad? I want to live on my own. I am 16 and I can not take living in the house with my step dad.

11/08/2007 | Category » Emancipation of Minor  State » CA  #11913
What are the requirements to become emancipated in New York?

can you emancipate yourself in the state of new york if you have a roof over your head...and other people that you would rather be with caring for you, and taking care of the money in the house, along with helping you find a job for yourself, and also making sure you are going 2 ...

11/09/2007 | Category » Emancipation of Minor  State » NY  #11960

I am 14 but turnning 15 soon and was wondering if I could emancipate myself? I can't live with my dad because he is very abusive. My mom yells at me all the time and I have to take care of her. I have not been to school in about a month and I really need to go back. Is their anyw...

11/09/2007 | Category » Emancipation of Minor  State » OK  #11967

My daughter has a friend who needs to leave her house. Her mother is bipoler and one minute her mother wants her to quit school and get a full time job and get pregnant. The next minute she wants her around the house all the time. Anything this girl does is not right in her mo...

11/15/2007 | Category » Emancipation of Minor  State » GA  #12340
Would both of my parents have to sign for me to become emancipated?

I am 16, but will be turning 17 December 23. My parents are divorced and I live with my dad, but my parents have 50/50 custody. If I wanted to emancipate myself would I have to have both parents to sign for it or jus one parent? And if I only need 1 parent would it have to be my ...

11/26/2007 | Category » Emancipation of Minor  State » LA  #12855
Can I become emancipated if I am pregnant?

Can you get emancipated without your mothers' cooperation while 16 and pregnant?

11/27/2007 | Category » Emancipation of Minor  State » ALL  #12938
And if a teen is emancipated, can they get married without parental consent?

If a teen does get emancipated, does he/she hold the right to move to another state if he/she can finacially support themselves? And if a teen is emancipated, can they get married without parental consent?

12/01/2007 | Category » Emancipation of Minor  State » WA  #13155
How Does A 16 Year Old In The State Of Missouri Become Emancipated

How does a 16 year old child in the state of Missouri become emancipated?

12/18/2007 | Category » Emancipation of Minor  State » MO  #14068
Is It Possible To Become Emancipated From A Single Parent

How can a 15 year old become emancipated from his single parent (father)?

11/21/2008 | Category » Emancipation of Minor  State » CA  #14712
Can I Be Emancipated From One Parent But Not The Other

My parents are getting a divorce in Colorado. I am sixteen years old. My dad asked for and got a custody evaluation for me even though I asked him not to. Can I get an attorney and be emancipated from my dad and not my mom?

11/27/2008 | Category » Emancipation of Minor  State » CO  #14727
Can a 16 year old divorce her parents?

Can a 16 year old divorce her parents? She does not want to be with her mom anymore and her paternal father has never been in her life. If she can divorce her mother can the 'father figure' in her whole life go to court to get custody and adopt her? There is abuse but no evidence...

12/30/2008 | Category » Emancipation of Minor  State » TX  #14882
Can a parent or legal guardian legally emancipate a minor and how would this be done?

01/01/2009 | Category » Emancipation of Minor  State » NM  #14898
How do I become emancipated in Pennsylvania?

With the new financial aid questions on the FAFSA, emancipation becomes a very important planning tool. I know there is no real emancipation in New Jersey but, what are the rules for emancipation in Pennsylvania?

01/08/2009 | Category » Emancipation of Minor  State » NJ  #14943

I am 16 and live in Collin County, Texas. How do I go about being emancipated from my alcoholic mother? I graduate in June at the age of 16 and want to go to college, but I do not have money or scholarships yet. I get $225.00 monthly from my dad's Social Security disability.

01/10/2009 | Category » Emancipation of Minor  State » TX  #14961

I live in Texas and I'm going to be 17 in about 40 days. My parents are divorced and my dad remarried and has custody of me. I know that in the state of Texas the mother is the favorable custody holder of the children and my dad worked really hard to get custody of me and my sist...

01/22/2009 | Category » Emancipation of Minor  State » TX  #15040
How would I help my godchild to become emancipated if her mother is abusing her?

My God-Daughter is 14 years old, will be 15 in 3 months. She has been brutally treated by her mother for many years. She ran away a couple of times, and ultimately her mother sent her to her father, who has been absent (in prison) for most of her life. He tried his best, I gue...

02/05/2009 | Category » Emancipation of Minor  State » NY  #15158
If my son is emancipated does that take all legal responsibility off of me and his father?

I have a son who will be 18 in October that is getting out of control. He has a full time job. I have no control of when he comes or goes. He has his GED. My question is this: If he is emancipated does that take all legal responsibility off of me and his father? If we go th...

02/14/2009 | Category » Emancipation of Minor  State » LA  #15250
At what specific point is my son legally emancipated from my parental control and responsibility?

I consented for my son to enlist in the military last summer when he turned 17. He is starting boot camp next week (February 23), and will finish it May 22nd, returning on 10 days of leave before going back; he won't turn 18 until July. We live in Pennsylvania. At what specific...

02/21/2009 | Category » Emancipation of Minor  State » PA  #15315
Can a child become emancipated from one parent for the purpose of financial aid in school?

My 16 year old daughter is applying for schools. Her father who has been estranged for 7 years has joint legal custody. I (mother) have full physical custody. He refuses to fill out financial aid forms. He does not have $ but we are concerned this will jepordize her chance for fi...

02/28/2009 | Category » Emancipation of Minor  State » MA  #15400
What are the requirements for emancipation in Florida?

I live in Florida and my 16 year old daughter ran away with an 18 year old lesbian. My daughter wants to be emancipated because she hates her father.What are my rights as a parent and can I charge this 18 year old on aiding my daughter and hiding her?

03/04/2009 | Category » Emancipation of Minor  State » FL  #15429
If a 17 Year Old is Pregnant and lives on her on is the parent required to pay child support?

If a 17 year old female is pregnant and lives with her boyfriend (and has lived with him since age 16) would that child be considered emancipated in the state of Missouri? Would that negate a divorcing parent from a legal obligation to pay child support?

03/05/2009 | Category » Emancipation of Minor  State » MO  #15456
Will my son become emancipated once he joins the military?

My son will be entering the Naval Academy this Fall, will this be an emancipation event, and will I be relieved of my obligation of child support? (ZUCKERMAN v. ZUCKERMAN)

03/05/2009 | Category » Emancipation of Minor  State » NY  #15460
Is there a law that allows an adult to remove themselves from a family?

Is there a law that allows an adult (over the age of 18) to remove themselves from a family legally? I thought emancipation was the way to do that but everything I read on emancipation is related to minors. I want to legally remove myself from my family.

03/06/2009 | Category » Emancipation of Minor  State » CA  #15466
Laws Involving Emancipated Minors in Kentucky

What are the laws concerning 'emancipated minors' in the state of Kentucky?

03/10/2009 | Category » Emancipation of Minor  State » KY  #15518
What are the requirements to become emancipated and is a parent's consent needed?

My son is 19 and lives in Illinois with his father. His girlfriend will turn 18 this October. Her mother is dead and her father has been in and out of prison. Her guardian is an aunt. According to my son, the aunt gets money from the State that should go towards the girl but doe...

03/10/2009 | Category » Emancipation of Minor  State » MI  #15519
Should my daughters friend emancipate herself to move in with us

My daughters 17 year old friend wants to move with in us. Her half-sister has custodianship but has effectively thrown her out and our daughter's friend is now back living with her mother. She feels living with her mother would be a unfit situation but has permission from her mot...

03/11/2009 | Category » Emancipation of Minor  State » ALL  #15544

My Girlfriend has been living with her parents her entire life. She does not enjoy living with them and she wants to leave the house and she really can't because her parents are way too high maintenance and they refuse to let her go. Her parents mistreat her and she wants to leav...

03/11/2009 | Category » Emancipation of Minor  State » MD  #15560
Am I still obligated to pay child support for my daughter who is 18 but still in school?

My daughter is 18 years old, as long as she attends school I am obligated to pay child support. She is pregnant and her baby is due next month. Am I still required to pay support for an 18 year old 'child' who will be a single parent? Is it possible to emancipate my 18 year old...

03/12/2009 | Category » Emancipation of Minor  State » OR  #15564

If a young girl (about to turn 16) is living with her grandmother and her mom is estranged, her dad is in prison (spousal abuse of step mom), she feels her grandmother and associated family don't want her, and the plan is for her to go back with her dad when he gets out of prison...

03/16/2009 | Category » Emancipation of Minor  State » CT  #15644
What are the requirements for Emancipation of a Minor in New York?

What are New York state guidelines for a minor to become emancipated?

04/09/2009 | Category » Emancipation of Minor  State » NY  #15944
Who would be responsible for a 17 year old that the mother and father do not want?

We know a 17 year old boy who has been locked out of his home by his mother. We have known this boy for about two years. He is a pleasant, polite person. His mother and father are separated. The mother has serious emotional issues and the father has serious anger issues. He ...

04/15/2009 | Category » Emancipation of Minor  State » OH  #16018
If my daughter is emancipated will I still be able to carry her on my family insurance plan?

If my 17 year old child were to become emancipated for liability reasons would she still be eligible to continue coverage in my health insurance family plan which is a state employee benefits plan or would she be dropped from this plan?

04/21/2009 | Category » Emancipation of Minor  State » LA  #16084
Can I become emancipated in the US if I am a chinese citizen?

I am 16 and I am studying in PA by myself. Both my parents and I want to get myself emancipated. However, should I go to the court here or the court in China since I'm a chinese citizen? If I can go to the court in America to get emancipated, could you please tell my some really ...

04/24/2009 | Category » Emancipation of Minor  State » PA  #16119
What are the requirements for a minor to become emancipated in Mississippi?

My daughter's ex-boyfriend who is turning 17 in September has stayed very close to our family since they decided to be friends. He is having an extremely difficult time living at home with his mother and step father. It is what most would call dysfunctional. The boy would like to...

04/28/2009 | Category » Emancipation of Minor  State » MS  #16240

Can a 17 year-old minor in New York City be emancipated while still living in her parents' home? What are the exact steps that must be taken to emancipate such a minor?

04/29/2009 | Category » Emancipation of Minor  State » NY  #16475
How do I become emancipated from my parents at age 17?

I am 17 years old and I want to legally become independent. What is the first thing that I need to do to emancipate from my parents?

05/04/2009 | Category » Emancipation of Minor  State » ALL  #16534
What can I do if my son's father consented to him getting married while on visitation?

My son is 16. I live in Georgia. I have physical custody orders from California but legal custody is shared. During visitation to his father's in Kansas, per orders, he consented to my son to marry in the state of Nevada. My son will not return nor will the father return him. Wha...

05/12/2009 | Category » Emancipation of Minor  State » GA  #16651
What is the process to become emancipated?

What steps do I have to take to become emancipated from my gaurdian/custodian in the state of Colorado? What steps must be taken for a minor to become emancipated in the county of Mesa in the state of Colorado?

05/13/2009 | Category » Emancipation of Minor  State » CO  #16665
Please see the following link: http://lawdigest.uslegal.com/minors/emancipation-of-minor/6568/

What is the process and time frame for completing emancipation in the state of Missouri?

05/23/2009 | Category » Emancipation of Minor  State » LA  #16762
Do I have to move in with my mom if she just got custody and I am 17?

My mom just got custody of me; I'm 17 years old. She's abusive and a drug addict but she refused to let me be emancipated and demands that I move into her home. What can I do?

06/07/2009 | Category » Emancipation of Minor  State » OR  #16887
Is a Parent Still Liable for A child After Notarial Emancipation in Louisiana?

Does a notarial emancipation of a 15 year old child who wants to live with another family relieve the father and mother of parental obligations such as financial support, financial responsibility if child is negligent, truancy, etc.?

06/10/2009 | Category » Emancipation of Minor  State » LA  #16927

I live in the state of Nebraska. My daughter that I have legal guardianship of only (not step child or blood related) is about to turn 18 and I want to have her emancipated because she is becoming increasingly hard to handle. She will not go by any rules and is drinking and smoki...

07/10/2009 | Category » Emancipation of Minor  State » NE  #17481
How might I become emancipated from my parents in Indiana?

I will be 17 on september 9th and i am interested in being emancipated from my mom. I live in Indiana but want to live with my dad in florida. we don't have the money to go back to court to change custody and my mom will not agree for me to move in with my dad. What options do...

07/20/2009 | Category » Emancipation of Minor  State » IN  #17661
How Does Emancipation Affect Statutory Rape Laws?

Can a Emancipated minor be with someone over 21 of age

07/22/2009 | Category » Emancipation of Minor  State » LA  #17702
Can a 16 year old move out and attend school elsewhere with parent's permission?

can my 16 year old daughter move to another town live on her own to attend high school there if she has permission by both parents to do so?

03/10/2011 | Category » Emancipation of Minor  State » CA  #24375