Real Property » Liens Legal Questions & Answers

Can you put a lien on a home if the person that took out the loan is not listed on the property?

Can you put a lien on a home if the person that took out the loan is not listed on the property in which the lien is on?

01/12/2007 | Category » Liens  State » NC  #378
How do I contest a construction lien that was placed on my residential property?

02/01/2007 | Category » Liens  State » NJ  #1119
How is a property settlement settled if the County is suing for back taxes?

How is a property settlement settled if the County is suing for back taxes, and how can I save my house under these conditions?

02/01/2007 | Category » Liens  State » TX  #1122
If property is sold for back taxes, what is the period in which the owner can redeem the property?

If real property is sold and purchased for back taxes, what is the period in which an the owner can redeem the property? Does the court house have up-to-date records of liens and taxes owed up to the day of the sheriff sale or do I need to run a title check like a week before the...

02/01/2007 | Category » Liens  State » PA  #1124
Does Colorado have a homestead provision to protect your primary residence from legal actions?

02/01/2007 | Category » Liens  State » CO  #1279
What is the law regarding placing a lien on property where work was done?

New York State Law: Article 2 Mechanic's Lien If Section 10 states that filing of notice of lien where improvement was made on a single family dwelling, be filed within four months after the completion of the contract...... Why is a contractor and his attorney sending me notice ...

03/29/2007 | Category » Liens  State » NY  #2330
What are the requirements to file a lien against a business that sold me a lemon?

I would like to know if I can file a lien against an auto repair shop that promised to return the price I paid for a transmission on a used car that I purchased from them, both car and transmission, as they now will not return my money. The "new" transmission blew up a week afte...

03/31/2007 | Category » Liens  State » TX  #2418
How do I place a lien against someone's home before it is foreclosed on?

How do I file a lien against someone's homestead? I have loaned them a large amount of money from 2003 to 2005. They are in the process of selling the home and if not sold by June 2007, the mortgage company will forclose on the property.

04/02/2007 | Category » Liens  State » MN  #2499
What form is used when agreeing to have a lien against your property in order to get a loan?

Which is the correct form to use when agreeing to have a lien against your property in order to get a personal loan. For example "I agree to loan my son $20K and in exchange he agrees to a lien against his home for $20K until the $20K is paid in full (no interest being charged)"...

04/04/2007 | Category » Liens  State » FL  #2603
Can a lien be placed on a home without the homeowner's knowledge?

When a lien is placed on a home, is the owner informed of this fact or can it be placed without his/her knowledge?

04/06/2007 | Category » Liens  State » HI  #2722
Can I place a lien against a property that is being sold for money owed to me?

I hold a promisory note for several thousand dollars. Loaned to help with the down payment of a house. Payments were made in the beginning but now have stopped due to a divorce. I'm concerned that the property will be sold and that I will not recover my loan unless I can place ...

04/06/2007 | Category » Liens  State » CA  #2734
How do I get a lien against my home released?

I need to get a release on lein on my home. I believe the lein filed is not valid. What forms do I need to file to contest the validity?

04/07/2007 | Category » Liens  State » MI  #2743
Can a homeowner's association put a property lien on a property for fees owed?

Can a homeowner's association put a property lien on someone's property because a person is behind with their homeowner association fees?

04/26/2007 | Category » Liens  State » GA  #3329
Can a lien be placed against a house that already has a mortgage on it?

If a house is mortgaged with the mortgage company as lien holder. Can someone else put a lien on that house?

05/11/2007 | Category » Liens  State » NC  #4484

Please read the sale agreement. Did it state that you were to receive the property free and cl...

There is a lein on my home that was put on when the home was still owed by my mother, she had signed and put this property up for my son and his family when they refinanced their home. what does this mean for me now that i am the owner of this property. Could I lose my home if t...

08/16/2007 | Category » Liens  State » PA  #7978
What are the requirements to place a lien on someone's home for money loaned?

Can I put a lien on someone's house that borrowed money from me to help with the purchase of that house?

09/02/2007 | Category » Liens  State » CA  #8382
How would I file a lien against a property for money owed on a job?

I want to know how to file a lien against a property. This is for a tiling and painting job which was not paid for. I'm just an individual, but it owner owes $8,000.

02/03/2009 | Category » Liens  State » FL  #15142
Can I withhold my condo assessment money in escrow until financial documents are released?

I have a condominium assessment of $33,000.00 that is due by the end of March 2009, but I want to withhold it until the board releases the financial documents showing the actual cost to date. Should I deposit it in an escrow account or what?

03/07/2009 | Category » Liens  State » CA  #15479
How to ensure repayment of house payments for a friend who is selling her home

I have made 3 mortgage payments for a friend who is selling her house. What form should I complete, such as a lien, to ensure payment at the closing of the sale of the house?

03/11/2009 | Category » Liens  State » ALL  #15548
How to get a Lien for Work owed on a House that is in Foreclosure

My husband and I acted as the contractor on a house for repairs and improvements before the house went on the market. The home owner agreed fully with the work to be performed and now, months later, has not disagreement with the work or the costs. We paid for all expenses and sub...

03/12/2009 | Category » Liens  State » TX  #15579
Can I put a Friendly Lien on my commercial property in Texas to protect from lawsuits?

I am concerned about frivolous law suits since I own commercial property with lots of equity. I was told I could file a friendly lien so when they check for assets, the will find I have none since I have liens on the property. What are the steps to follow so the lein is legal?

03/17/2009 | Category » Liens  State » TX  #15656
Can not Refinance Home because of Wife's Credit Score

I am trying to refinance my home. But every time I am turned down because of my wife's credit score. She got foreclosed on many years ago but she still shows up on the mortgage. The new owner refuses to take her off and is often late with the payment, killing her credit. The bank...

04/13/2009 | Category » Liens  State » CA  #15972
Is Foreclosure the Way that Liens are Enforced?

I am a home owner having my house renovated. One of the subcontractors served me with a 90-day subcontractors notice stating that the general contractor had not paid him. I didn't know he was a subcontractor, and the general's defense is that no work was rendered. The general and...

04/27/2009 | Category » Liens  State » ALL  #16153
A contractor wants to put a lien on my home but has not satisfied our agreement

A painter wants to put a lien on my house, but we don't have a contract. He started the work after sending a proposal and I paid him 50% of proposal amount but he didn't finish the work and his painting has many problems. I'm not satisfied but he asked for remaining money and add...

04/27/2009 | Category » Liens  State » ALL  #16169
Can I put a lien on a contractor's building/equipment?

We contracted to remodel our condo located in Florida. This was executed in November of 2007. As of January of 2008 the contractor acknowledged that he was unable to do this work due to financial and other business restraints. As of April of 2008 we have not received our deposit ...

04/28/2009 | Category » Liens  State » FL  #16263
How do I place a lien on a property for dues to the HOA?

I'm the treasurer of our property owners association and need to place liens on property owners who have not paid their dues, as per our restrictive covenants filed in our articles of incorporation. What form do I use?

04/29/2009 | Category » Liens  State » ALL  #16367
How do I file a lien against a homeowner for dues owed to the HOA?

How can I obtain a form to file a lien against a homeowner for dues he owes the homeowners association?

04/29/2009 | Category » Liens  State » ALL  #16418
What do I need in order to put a lien on the property I sold to my son?

I have sold my house in Ohio to my son. He owes me $40,000. I want to put a lein on the house. He is getting a divorce and has filed for Bankruptcy. I am 78 years old I do not need this kind of mess.

04/29/2009 | Category » Liens  State » ALL  #16424
What is the time frame for a contractor to get a lien against a property?

A lien was filed against my property, by the contractor, 10 months after the completion of the job. I thought that a lien had to be filed within the first 3 months after. If this is true, what do I do next? Do I have legal recourse without getting a lawyer?

04/29/2009 | Category » Liens  State » ALL  #16427
What is needed to release a lien on property I have sold?

I have sold a piece of real estate property and now need to provide a lien release. Please let me know all the forms required to complete this task.

04/30/2009 | Category » Liens  State » TX  #16487
How do I release a lien on property I have sold?

04/30/2009 | Category » Liens  State » TX  #16493
What forms is needed for a lien on property as security for money owed?

Need a lien doc to file when 2 parties mutually agree to place a lein on the property as security for money owed, not contractor work done.

05/04/2009 | Category » Liens  State » ALL  #16551
Can I place a lien on a home that I have paid money for to protect if from sale until I am paid?

My question involves buying property for a relative. I personally financed a home for a relative and the initial purchased required me to place a deposit of my personal funds for over $50,000. After two years, the relative refinance this property for the existing amount. I have ...

05/04/2009 | Category » Liens  State » FL  #16565
How Do I Sell a Timeshare in Maryland Subject to a Lien?

I want to quitclaim to a time share property in Ocean City, Maryland. They want to put a lien on the property and they refuse to take it back. I can no longer afford the piled up charges on the time share and the association refuses to help me divest myself of it; they just add...

06/10/2009 | Category » Liens  State » MD  #16925