The following are Arizona statutes:
In this chapter, unless the context otherwise requires, "small claims
division" means a forum in justice courts in which procedures shall allow
the inexpensive, speedy and informal resolution of small claims.
22-503. Jurisdiction; exceptions
A. The small claims division has concurrent original jurisdiction with
the justice court in all civil actions in which the debt, damage, tort,
injury or value of the personal property claims either by the plaintiff or
defendant does not exceed two thousand five hundred dollars, exclusive of
interest and costs, and in actions in which a party seeks to disaffirm,
avoid or rescind a contract, or seeks equitable relief, and the amount at
issue does not exceed two thousand five hundred dollars.
B. The small claims division does not have jurisdiction over the
1. Those matters excluded from justice court jurisdiction as provided in
2. Actions involving claims of defamation by libel or slander.
3. Actions in forcible entry, forcible detainer or unlawful detainer.
4. Actions for specific performance.
5. Actions brought or defended on behalf of a class.
6. Actions requesting or involving prejudgment remedies.
7. Actions involving injunctive relief.
8. Traffic violations and other criminal matters.
9. Actions against this state, its political subdivisions or an officer
or employee of the state or its political subdivisions in his official