Abandoned Property Legal Questions & Answers

How do I claim abandoned real estate?

How do I claim abandoned real estate?

01/10/2007 | Category » Abandoned Property  State » MI  #309
How do I file claim of abandoned easement on my property in my County in Arizona?

02/01/2007 | Category » Abandoned Property  State » AZ  #1303
What do I do about the abandoned cars left in the garage at my job where I am security officer?

I am a security officer at a public library. The library runs its own private garage. There are a couple cars that seemed abandoned in the garage. One has no plates or other forms of identification the other has expired plates from Michigan. They both have several layers of dust ...

02/07/2007 | Category » Abandoned Property  State » KY  #463
Can it be argued that another local retailer's price tag on an item is an advertised price?

A local retailer states that they will match any advertised price. Can it be argued that another local retailer's price tag on an item is an advertised price? I am an attorney doing research on this issue, I would appreciate any help with this. I am trying to argue that a sign...

02/16/2007 | Category » Abandoned Property  State » FL  #729
What can my mother do about the land she sold that has not been maintained or taxes paid?

My Mom owned 10 acres of land and sold 5 of those to a friend. Over 25 years have passed and the friend has never been back to the land, never paid the taxes and never contacted my mom. How does my mom get her off of the property that they have been dwelling on for over 25 year...

02/16/2007 | Category » Abandoned Property  State » ALL  #730
What happens to unclaimed funds owed to someone by a creditor?

When a customer does not take the credit on their account after being notified and five years has elapsed, what should happen to the credit? Is it returned to the state?

03/02/2007 | Category » Abandoned Property  State » WI  #779
How long must I hold property before it is considered abandoned?

I live in Jefferson County Alabama and my garage is full of personal property consisting of clothes, household goods, misc. nothing of much value but the owner refuses to pick it up. First, I put it in storage but it was costing me a hundred a month so after 8 months I took it ba...

03/28/2007 | Category » Abandoned Property  State » AL  #2278
What rights do I have to the vehicle that has been left at my property abandoned?

A "friend" left his car in my backyard for over a year. Do I have the legal right to sell it or collect rent on it? I never told him he could "store" it here for a year and he would not come get it.

03/29/2007 | Category » Abandoned Property  State » CO  #2313
Can I place a lien on a vehicle that I fixed and was never paid for?

I own a auto repair shop. I fixed a vehicle and they only paid half the bill. They paid half in a check and there was a stop payment put on that check. I was wondering what paperwork is needed to get a vehicle lien on it or a mechanics title for the vehicle so I can keep it for ...

03/29/2007 | Category » Abandoned Property  State » WI  #2320
What is the law associated with Unclaimed Property?

We are an Aerospace Repair Facility. We've repaired units for a company in Florida. We've been trying to reach them since Dec 2005 with no response. What's the law associated with Unclaimed Property.

05/16/2007 | Category » Abandoned Property  State » WA  #4972
How long does an item have to be left before it is considered abandoned property?

My roommate moved out of my apartment in December . She left a bicycle in my storage shed in the backyard. She is now claiming that she is going to press charges against me because I did not let her come get her bike when she came into town in May of the next year. I assumed that...

05/17/2007 | Category » Abandoned Property  State » VA  #5097

A court generally must declare property to be abandoned as far as real property is concerned....

Who do I contact to find out if the property across from my house has been abandoned?

05/31/2007 | Category » Abandoned Property  State » AZ  #6079
See http://www.dot.state.tx.us/forms/vehicle_titles/vtr_265_s.doc

If an auto has been stored on private property for a number of years, is it possible to sell the auto without a title? The owner of the auto has not interest in it.

07/08/2007 | Category » Abandoned Property  State » TX  #6999
How long does property need to sit before its considered abandoned?

09/25/2007 | Category » Abandoned Property  State » GA  #9051
How long must I wait to dispose of or remove personal property from my residence?

My divorce was finalized on 10/10/2007. In the settlement agreement my husband was given 30 days from the finalization to remove his personal property (nonworking kit-car, sailboat/trailer, misc tools, etc) from the residence we shared. If the property has not been removed at...

10/12/2007 | Category » Abandoned Property  State » FL  #10155
Is it possible to get a title for an abandoned boat and sell it?

We have a small abandoned boat in our driveway. We called the police to have it removed and they stated only the owner of the vehicle can remove it or a towing company at our expense. They did say the boat has not been reported stolen and it is not recorded as being owned or regi...

10/16/2007 | Category » Abandoned Property  State » FL  #10371
How long before property can be considered abandoned

There are three owners for the home my mother lives in - My mother (35%), aunt (22%), and cousin (43%). My aunt lives in the same multi-family dwelling as my mother. However, my mother's apartment is directly underneath the attic where my aunt has stored too much furniture. The ...

10/17/2007 | Category » Abandoned Property  State » NJ  #10446
Rules for Claiming Abandoned Propane Tank

I have changed propane carriers and the previous carried has not removed their tank from my property. It was scheduled a month before I changed carriers. The scheduled date came and went to no avail. I emailed the corporate office telling them I would charge a storage fee on the ...

10/20/2007 | Category » Abandoned Property  State » UT  #10612
Can can I get my stuff from my sister's property if she will not let me enter to get it

My sister will not let me get my property on her land. What do I do to get my property back before she sells it?

11/13/2007 | Category » Abandoned Property  State » DE  #12151
What are my options for an abandoned vehicle on my property

I am half owner of a home and sole owner of the land on which it sits. I recently helped to evict a person who was staying there (off and on--no consecutive days). He called the state police who informed him he has squatters rights. My daughter (who is the other owner of the home...

11/14/2007 | Category » Abandoned Property  State » MI  #12228
Process of Claiming Adjacent Abandoned Property

A new board for our HOA was elected and has the agenda to dissolve the HOA. Does the common areas such as a small park and a jogging path around the neighborhood then become abandoned? The city does not have the resources or any interest to acquire the property. Can I claim any...

11/16/2007 | Category » Abandoned Property  State » OR  #12380
Process of Claiming Jointly Owned Abandoned Property

I have unclaimed property (dividends, shares of stock) in the State of Mississippi. It is listed with another party. Can I claim this by myself as joint tenant, tenant not in common, or do I have to have the other person's signature.

11/20/2007 | Category » Abandoned Property  State » AL  #12626
How Long Does A Repair Shop Need To Store A Computer After Repair

In a computer repair shop how long are you responsible to store a persons computer after the repair is made? Numerous attempts have been made to the customer with no response.

12/28/2007 | Category » Abandoned Property  State » NJ  #14319
What can we do with the items that we were storing for a friend who can not pick them up?

My fiancee's friend asked if we could hold some of her belongings while she temporarily moved to another state. We were expecting to hold the items for a couple of months, but now she says that she is not coming back. She will not pay for us to ship them to her and she will not...

01/20/2009 | Category » Abandoned Property  State » AL  #15028
My ex roommate is saying I stole her stuff since she never picke dit up once the lease was up

A person moved out of leased apartment and changed address even though paying remainder of lease and did not move belongings. The lease was up so I moved in August. I am now accused of theft for taking her belongings. She was gone for 3 months and came to get the items after le...

02/11/2009 | Category » Abandoned Property  State » CO  #15226
Can my mother legally sale my father's abandoned property if they are still married?

My step father and mother lived with me and then they separated. He left and has never came back to get his personal property that includes, a boat, 4-wheeler, and many tools. They are still married. My mom and I have now moved and had to move his personal property to the new add...

02/17/2009 | Category » Abandoned Property  State » TN  #15266
What can I do with property thta was left in a building that was foreclosed on?

I have a commercial warehouse that has 2 vans and tools in it. After repeated concerns to clean out this the building I'm met with 'the bankruptcy person has it', but I'm not given any names or numbers to contact them. It's been 10 months with no activity or correspondence at al...

02/24/2009 | Category » Abandoned Property  State » FL  #15341
What are my options to have the abandoned boat removed from my dock?

I live in Key Largo Florida on a canal. Through an acquaintance I met someone who needed dockage for his 44' boat. We agreed on a monthly fee. The owner has not paid his fee for 5 months and does not return my calls. The boat needs attention and is taking on more water than n...

02/28/2009 | Category » Abandoned Property  State » FL  #15392
How might I gain clear title to vehicles left at my shop after failed attempts to notify owners?

I am the owner of an Auto Repair Shop. I have had a couple of vehicles in storage for over a year. I have sent certifed letters to the address the owners to the address they provided, but the letters were returned. I can nott get a title because I do not know where the owners ...

03/02/2009 | Category » Abandoned Property  State » MS  #15417
What forms do I need to file a judicial Declaration of Abandonment of a mobile home?

I need to file a judicial Declaration of Abandonment of a mobile home. What form do I use?

03/05/2009 | Category » Abandoned Property  State » CA  #15454
What are my options for selling property left in my garage for storage after 4 years?

A one time friend left his painting equipment in my garage almost 4 years ago. We have tried to communicate with them twice concerning this matter with no response. Can I sell it to get it out of my way? What kind of notice do I need to give them if any, after trying to contact t...

03/06/2009 | Category » Abandoned Property  State » OR  #15470
What can I do with the abandoned property left behind by a tenant that was evicted?

I own commercial property in which I have terminated a lease with a tenant for non payment of rent. The tenant has abandoned certain personal property and has been given the mandatory three day notice to vacate in accordance with the lease terms. It has now been two months and ...

03/09/2009 | Category » Abandoned Property  State » CO  #15503
What can I legally do with the things a tenant left in the apartment when he moved owing us rent?

My husband and I inherited a tenant who is a registered sex offender. He and his family moved out in January without giving notice and have abandoned their belongings. The sheriff's department have not managed to track him down yet, and I believe a warrant may have been issued ...

03/19/2009 | Category » Abandoned Property  State » WA  #15688
What can I do with the abandoned property left a my store by customers?

I own a computer repair store near an Indiana college campus. When a notebook computer problem involves a motherboard, the fix costs more than the computer is worth. And, many times the students don't pick up their worthless computer so they don't have to pay our diagnosis fee....

03/30/2009 | Category » Abandoned Property  State » IN  #15816
Who owns a motorcycle that someone bought over two years ago but never picked up from me?

Two years ago an individual purchased a BMW motorcycle from me. The value was approximately $10,000 and that was the purchase price. He paid with a Suntrust cashier's check and I gave him a notarized bill of sale. The date was March 16, 2007. The title was delivered to me one wee...

03/30/2009 | Category » Abandoned Property  State » TN  #15821
How can I proceed in small claims court if I am unable to locate defendant?

A customer has left a piano at our place of business for more than five years. She has refused to pay rental or moving costs and other repairs we did. She has moved and will not give me her current address, though I have her phone number. I have sent papers advising her of sma...

04/15/2009 | Category » Abandoned Property  State » TX  #16021
What can I do legally to sell property that we were never paid for moving?

Our licensed and bonded moving company moved a man (John Doe) from Austin to San Antonio. The move price was based on inventory submitted by 'John Doe' and bid by the company, but upon arrival the guy had 2-3 times more inventory. He wanted the additional amount also loaded and d...

04/28/2009 | Category » Abandoned Property  State » TX  #16275
How long can one abandon property being stored before you can take ownership?

A live-in employee quit and left her belongings for us to store. We have asked her multiple times to pick up her stuff and currently are paying to store it. How long do we have to wait, and what steps can we take to get rid of her stuff?

04/28/2009 | Category » Abandoned Property  State » ALL  #16302
Can I claim the aircraft being stored in my hanger if rent is owed for storage?

I have a renter keeping his aircraft in my hangar. He has not paid rent in almost 3 years. We have a written agreement which says he owes me $100/month. I would like to give him notice that I will start selling parts of his aircraft to cover the almost $3,000 that He owes me. He ...

04/28/2009 | Category » Abandoned Property  State » ALL  #16305
How do I put a lien on some furniture I have been storing for someone?

We have a contract to store property for a client of ours (furniture valued at about $3,000), client is in breach of contract and does not want to pay for storage. My question is What sort of lien do I file on the property and how do I file it?

04/29/2009 | Category » Abandoned Property  State » ALL  #16449
Can the gas station owner tow my son's vehicle for leaving it in the lot for 2 weeks?

My son left my vehicle in Idaho Falls, Idaho at a gas station. The station had the vehicle towed. I was never notified that the vehicle was abandoned and I had to pay 2 weeks of storage fees. Can I dispute those charges because I was not notified that the vehicle was abandoned?

05/02/2009 | Category » Abandoned Property  State » ID  #16521
What are my son's options to recover his belongings from his ex-roommates wife?

My son left the service (Coast Guard) where he was stationed in Florida and returned home to Michigan 3 weeks ago. He left behind a considerable amount of property in a friend's home (where he was living). The friend is involved in a bitter divorce situation and has moved from th...

06/08/2009 | Category » Abandoned Property  State » FL  #16905
How Do I Get Rid of Abandoned Property in Florida?

I'm a Private Investigator in Florida. In September 2008, I contracted with a client to perform Executive Protection at a hearing in Volusia County. The client was involved in a lawsuit brought against him by former business associates. This Executive Protection detail was suc...

07/04/2009 | Category » Abandoned Property  State » FL  #17331
May I keep a propane tank that came with property bought when lease on tank had ended?

I just purchased a home that was foreclosed on. The home was last occupied in July of 2008. There was a propane tank on the property when purchased the house. I am being told by the company that leased the tank to the previous owner that they are owner of the tank. The previous o...

04/28/2011 | Category » Abandoned Property  State » CA  #24744
How Long Does a Tenant Have to Get Property Out After Evcition?

after papers are served in nj how long before he must take all his belongings out of the house

05/17/2011 | Category » Abandoned Property  State » NJ  #24855
How Can I Get Rid of Abandoned Property in Texas?

How do I legally dispose of property left in my shed for 4 and a half years? Have spoken with owner repeatedly and he won't come for it. There's also a van and small utility trailer. He said it would only be for 3 months.

08/23/2011 | Category » Abandoned Property  State » TX  #25392

You can see the following links: