Cohabitation Legal Questions & Answers

Does the state of Louisiana recognize Common law marriages?

What legal rights does the state provide for cohabitors? What about same sex cohabitors? Opposite sex cohabitors? Does the state of Louisiana recognize Common law marriages? What do couples have to do to qualify for these rights in the state of Louisiana?

03/26/2007 | Category » Cohabitation  State » LA  #2190
Will my grandmother have rights to the home she has lived in for 25 years if her partner passes?

My Mother has been living with a gentleman for twenty-five years. They planned on getting married, but never did. He is now very ill in the hospital, and I am concerned if my mother has any rights. Her companion owns the home that they have shared for all these years and one of t...

04/09/2007 | Category » Cohabitation  State » CA  #2853
How do I force my ex-boyfriend to refinance and take my name off the mortgage?

I (unfortunately) bought a home with my Boyfriend 1 1/2 years ago. He could not qualify by himself so I am co-borrower. My name is on the title and the mortgage. Well, needless to say the relationship has ended. I am on Social security disability and I did work part-time last yea...

04/11/2007 | Category » Cohabitation  State » MN  #2936
How can my friend force his live-in partner out of his home?

I have a friend who has a live in partner for 2 years now. They have a son together and live in his home. Things are getting out of hand and the relationship is getting bad. He was asking his live in partner to leave his house, but she refused to leave. Is there any legal action ...

05/10/2007 | Category » Cohabitation  State » MI  #4374
Does Ohio recognize palimony?

Ive lived with the same man for 18 years and hes been the primary bread winner for our family for over 6 years and it can be proven. Do I have a palimony suit should I decide to leave?

10/17/2007 | Category » Cohabitation  State » OH  #10456
Is there a clear definition of 'cohabitation' for Colorado?

10/27/2007 | Category » Cohabitation  State » CO  #11055
What are my rights if I never married but have lived as husband and wife for 13 years?

I have been with my boyfriend now for 23 years. We have 2 children, a home (that I keep clean )! I do everything. I clean, cook, wash, dinner, tend to the kids etc. We have lived together now for 13 years. If he decides to leave us one day what exactly am I entitled to? The hou...

11/05/2007 | Category » Cohabitation  State » NJ  #11649
Can I recoup any of the money I put into the home that I cohabitated in?

I cohabitated with a woman in her home for 8 years and vested over $50,000.00 in home improvements, asphalt driveways, pole barns, interior improvements, attached garage with finished loft etc. Plus made mortgage payments for six 1/2 years. Can I recoup any of these costs?

02/09/2009 | Category » Cohabitation  State » MN  #15207
How to take someone off an Apartment Lease

My girlfriend and I broke up and she moved out. Her name is on the lease and she is refusing to give back her key to the house. She moved a month ago and still has property in the house. What can I do with her stuff and how can I get my key back?

03/13/2009 | Category » Cohabitation  State » CA  #15616
How do I protect equity in my new home in case live in relationship does not work out?

I am in the middle of selling my house which is under my name only. I am in the process of buying another home with my girlfriend who will be on the deed. I would like to protect the money I am putting towards the new home just in case something happens while in the new home. Do ...

03/19/2009 | Category » Cohabitation  State » FL  #15696
Do I have any rights to compensation from my partner of three years for ending the relationship?

What rights and/or compensation could a party be awarded in a common law union of 3 years that ended by one of the parties. Is there any financial responsibility on the part of the one who finished it? After giving up a very desirable job and home, I moved to a different coun...

04/29/2009 | Category » Cohabitation  State » FL  #16370
Am I legally entitled to financial support from my domestic partner after a 12 year relationship?

My question is pertaining to Palimony, in simple terms, after a 12 year relationship, my domestic partner has decided he would like a much younger partner. In the 12yrs. I have given up everything I owned, including a business, to first raise his 4 children, and then to travel th...

05/05/2009 | Category » Cohabitation  State » ALL  #16585
What is the legal definition of rent?

What is the legal definition of rent? I'm going through a divorce. I took in a housemate who is also going through a divorce. She helps with utilities and my mortgage. She does not pay me any money directly. There is no rental agreement, written or oral. My ex is claiming th...

05/10/2009 | Category » Cohabitation  State » CA  #16622
What is the Definition of Cohabitation in Arkansas?

If my girlfriend were to spend the weekend with me at the lake in a separate cabin that was connected (like a duplex/apartment) while my kids and I stay in another cabin would that be considered cohabitating by Arkansas law? What is the definition of cohabitate in Arkansas?

06/29/2009 | Category » Cohabitation  State » AR  #17250
How Do I Prove I'm Not Cohabiting?

I live in smithfield virginia. I recieve money for spousal support recently moved in a home of my boyfriends cousin. How do I prove this is not cohabitiation? My friend takes the kids to school and church and comes over. He lives with his father how do I prove he doesn't live...

03/09/2011 | Category » Cohabitation  State » VA  #24369