Courts Legal Questions & Answers

What is the procedure for filing in propria persona and what paperwork do you have to file?

When being sued in Court of Common Pleas, what is the procedure for filing in propria persona and what paperwork do you have to file? Do you have to be in court?

01/09/2007 | Category » Courts  State » PA  #272
Do I have to appear for a modification of child custody/child support if I live in another state?

I have a court date set in Indiana for modification of child custody and child support. I live in Florida, and was wondering how I go about requesting a telephonic court date.

01/09/2007 | Category » Courts  State » IN  #303
Is their anything I can file against a Judge granting another extension to file certified records?

Judge has granted the Appellees a third extension to file the certified record. Is their anything I can file against this?

01/12/2007 | Category » Courts  State » HI  #371
Can I petition the Supreme Court of PA for a review of a magisterial district judge certification?

Can I petition the Supreme Court of Pennsylvania for a review of a magisterial district judge certification examination score?

01/12/2007 | Category » Courts  State » PA  #388
Where can I find case laws or U.S. Supreme Court Decisions on the topic of a defective summons?

Where can I find case laws or U.S. Supreme Court Decisions on the topic of a defective summons ?

01/12/2007 | Category » Courts  State » GA  #408
What is the jurisprudence of the US Supreme Court on the power of the city to enact local ordinances

What is the leading jurisprudence of the US Supreme Court on the power of the city to enact local ordinance regulating traffic based on the police power of the state?

02/01/2007 | Category » Courts  State » US  #987
What is meant by the doctrine that a supreme court will not hear a moot case?

02/08/2007 | Category » Courts  State » US  #520
What can I do if on appeal the lower court has not done anything with my case?

What do I do if the appeals court files a judgment in my favor and directs the lower court to do something but the lower court is not doing anything?

02/08/2007 | Category » Courts  State » LA  #553
Where I can find a example of a nunc pro tunc letter?

Wanted to know where I can find a example of a nunc pro tunc letter -- A phrase applied to acts allowed to be done after the time when they should be done.

02/13/2007 | Category » Courts  State » TX  #689
What does adjudicated mean in a criminal case?

02/15/2007 | Category » Courts  State » OR  #714
How does an inmate declare indigency for the purposes of getting transcripts of his trial?

How does an inmate declare indigency for the purposes of getting transcripts of his trial? We are being quoted almost $700 for just the motion hearing transcript. His attorney abandoned him after the trial and we are trying to get another attorney but he needs the transcripts t...

02/19/2007 | Category » Courts  State » GA  #746
What is the time limit to file a response for an order to show cause?

04/02/2007 | Category » Courts  State » CA  #2461
Is it legal to use white out for corrections on legal documents?

04/02/2007 | Category » Courts  State » WA  #2511
How can I change a court date?

How can I change a court date?

04/04/2007 | Category » Courts  State » GA  #2640
What form is needed to show the court I am representing myself in a custody hearing?

What form or forms do I fill out for self representation of custody case opposing giving custody of my daughter to her dad? What form or forms are required to enable a judge to review my documents? I have custody of my daughter can I file power of attorney to her grandmother unt...

04/06/2007 | Category » Courts  State » OH  #2721
Can I file an appeal before the judge has made a decision?

I have a court date coming up soon. Can I file an appeal before any decision and would it be wise? Is this time enough to file a civil docket statement in self representation, and is this what I need to file for the judge to look at my evidence?

04/06/2007 | Category » Courts  State » OH  #2723
How do I appeal Refund Intecept Code "B"?

I must appeal Refund Intecept Code "B" ASAP. Please give me instructions on how to do this.

04/07/2007 | Category » Courts  State » MD  #2740
Where could I locate a Federal Law Book that explains sentencing and case law?

I am wanting to buy a federal law book, that explains sentencing, answers to question, and cases. Do you know what book I would need?

04/07/2007 | Category » Courts  State » OH  #2755
Does a subpoena have to be served in person or a signature required?

04/08/2007 | Category » Courts  State » MA  #2784
How do you respond to a subpoena?

My husband received a subpoena in the mail. They have sent it to the wrong party. I tried calling the attorney's office who filed the complaint. They are not returning my call. What type of form do I use to respond to this?

04/10/2007 | Category » Courts  State » CA  #2858
If a verdict results in a hung jury three times in a murder case what happens?

If a jury comes back 3 times hung called a hung jury on a murder case, what happens? Does the judge take over at that point or does the person go free if they don't come up with a verdit?

04/11/2007 | Category » Courts  State » CA  #2973
How to get the sealed documents of a case belonging to my relative unsealed?- Courts

A great uncle's Black Lung documents/case has been sealed. How/why does a person seal this information, and how can you "unseal?"

04/12/2007 | Category » Courts  State » PA  #3037
How do I get visitation rights to see someone?

How do I get a court order to go see someone that is in a place I quite working for and now they won't allow me to see her again and I have the power of attorney's permisson to go see her?

04/12/2007 | Category » Courts  State » WA  #3048
What happens when a jury can not reach a decision about the verdict?

There is an Order or Instruction that a Judge can give the Jury in a criminal trial when they cannot come to an agreement on the verdict (hung jury) which spells out the Jury's obligation to come to a verdict. What is that order/instruction called?

04/25/2007 | Category » Courts  State » TX  #3313
Is my minor daughter required to testify against my minor son if under a subpoena?

Is my minor daughter (11) required to testify against her minor brother (14) if subpoena is given? The charge is indecency with a child.

05/02/2007 | Category » Courts  State » TX  #3579
What is the punishment for perjury and submitting false documents to the courts?

05/05/2007 | Category » Courts  State » LA  #3820
I was issued a citation after having an automobile accident - Courts

I was involved in a one car accident that resulted because my tire blew. I was traveling when all of a sudden my car started to swerve. I hit the brakes because I didn't know what had happened. I tried to get the car to stop. When I applied the brakes the car swerved worse and we...

05/10/2007 | Category » Courts  State » NC  #4446
Can I sue in small claims court for work that I have not been paid for?

My husband and I own a small business, a film processing photo lab. A new customer came in with several large boxes filled with old 35mm slides, which she asked us to scan onto CD. After several minutes of trying to count how many slides were in the boxes, she handed them over an...

05/12/2007 | Category » Courts  State » CA  #4545
In the state of Maine, when are sex offenders required not to register?

05/12/2007 | Category » Courts  State » ME  #4552
What is a motion hearing?

What is a motion hearing?

05/12/2007 | Category » Courts  State » GA  #4563
How would I petition the court for early withdrawal from probation?

Do you have to have a lawyer for Federal Court to re-petition the court for early withdrawal from probation? My husband's attorney was present for the first petition but now wants another $2500 to re-petition the court after completing what the judge had ordered.

05/13/2007 | Category » Courts  State » IN  #4599
How can I force a company to give me the IP address for someone who has ordered goods in my name?

Someone is filing out subscriptions in my name. I am getting the goods and the bills. So far I know one subscription was done by the internet, but they will not give me the IP address. First I want to know how to make them give me the IP address and secondly once I get this inf...

05/13/2007 | Category » Courts  State » AZ  #4601
Does Nolo Contendere allow you say you were never convicted of a crime?

I was told by a lawyer that a nolo contendere (no contest) plea on a felony charge, which resulted in probation, allowed a person to say they were not convicted of a felony. Does this mean the answer to the below question is no?Have you ever been convicted of malfeasance in offi...

05/13/2007 | Category » Courts  State » ALL  #4621
How do I end an ongoing legal dispute?

When reporting my brother-in-law for stealing his 80 year old mother's house I called him a thief and he saw this private email. I've spent $3000 in attorney fees and my lawyer says settle (no way, he is a thief) for around $15K. Three times this case has been dismissed for lac...

05/15/2007 | Category » Courts  State » OR  #4851
What is judicial release and how can I file for one?

06/02/2007 | Category » Courts  State » OH  #6124
Is it legal to own an adult pornography website in Illinois?

I am interested in starting an adult pornography website. I am wondering what are the Illinois State, St. Clair County and City of O'Fallon laws and ordinances pertaining to this? Can I do this legally? If not here then where is it legal in the State of Illinois? What certifi...

06/15/2007 | Category » Courts  State » IL  #6452

If you fail to report for jury duty and have not obtained an excuse, you may be found in conte...

I got a summons for jury service from the U.S. district court southern district of florida.I do not want to serve but I filled out the form that came with it & sent it back.My question is what will happen if I don't call on the date that I am asked to call.I'am 63 and lets sa...

07/13/2007 | Category » Courts  State » FL  #7149
What rights does a prospective juror have if asked a self-incriminating question during voir dire?

07/15/2007 | Category » Courts  State » CA  #7199

Voir dire is used to weed out jurors that may be biased in some way. The judge and the attorne...

I recently was selected to serve as a juror on a DUI case. I was the next to last person selected (the last woman). A man was the last selected and was the alternate. While sitting in the jury room waiting for the trial to begin, the bailiff came in and told me that I had been ...

08/11/2007 | Category » Courts  State » MS  #7874
What is a chain of custody concerning indictments?

Concerning indictments,what is a chain of custody?

09/12/2007 | Category » Courts  State » SC  #8636
How many appeals are allowed to a prisoner on death row?

09/16/2007 | Category » Courts  State » FL  #8789
What is needed in my affidavit for my witness that can not appear in court?

At my hearing, what should be included (terminology) in the affidavits or statements from my witness that will not be able to appear in court? Is there a 'special' notary that have to notarize the affidavits/statements.

09/17/2007 | Category » Courts  State » AZ  #8818
Can the person who requested the order for protect contact the person it is against?

If and order of protection is ganted to a person, is it ok for that person who was granted the protection, to call and harass the person that the order is against? Are they allowed to call the person 1 to 4 times a day? Does that also give the right to change visitation to differ...

09/17/2007 | Category » Courts  State » NY  #8827
What does judgment for a specific litigant mean?

09/18/2007 | Category » Courts  State » IL  #8838
If you are called as a State's Witness who is responsible for payment of your services?

If you are a State Witness and the Defense Counsel request to obtain your deposition is the Defense Counsel required to pay for your services?

09/19/2007 | Category » Courts  State » FL  #8873
Can a non-attorney prepare a subponea for documents?

Can a non-attorney prepare a subponea for documents and if so how would they go about it?

09/25/2007 | Category » Courts  State » IN  #9056
How likely is the court to give custody back to parents who lost custody 5 years ago?

My husband and myself gained parental rights and parental allocation for our 3 grandchildren 5 years ago. We are in control of the visitations, and have just now started getting child support from the parents. My question is two fold, First-the parents are under the impression th...

09/27/2007 | Category » Courts  State » CO  #9182
What does order of dismissal without prejudice mean?

09/27/2007 | Category » Courts  State » TX  #9188
What if you are a juror and feel you were pressured into a certain sentence what should you do?

If a person serves on a jury and gives in or "compromises" to a sentence they really did not agree with, regret it immediately after the sentencing, or some other objection should you tell someone (& who) or is it too late, and they should have stood your ground in the jury r...

10/01/2007 | Category » Courts  State » TX  #9426
Is a Cease Order sent via email considered legal?

1) Can an Individual "Email" another person a Cease Order and it be considered a Legal way of being delivered? 2) If a Cease Oder was sent by an Individual (without an attorney) just from one person to the other, showing the persons email address with only CEASE ORDER as th...

10/10/2007 | Category » Courts  State » VA  #9998
DC Code 42-3509

What is DC code 42-3509?

10/16/2007 | Category » Courts  State » DC  #10334
What is a Case Management Order and how does that work?

I filed a "motion to modify" the child support that I receive from my ex-husband in the amount of double of what it was in the divorce decree. I did this on Sept. 4th. I was under the impression that he only had 15 days to do so. He filed his response on Sept. 27th and never s...

10/17/2007 | Category » Courts  State » CO  #10442
Which state does not require you to be a registered voter to get selected for jury duty

10/18/2007 | Category » Courts  State » PA  #10521
Evidence before Grand Jury in New Mexico

In New Mexico, does the defendant need to be present at the indictment? Also, if not necessary, is it in the best interest of the defendant to be present? Should the defendant have witnesses present on his or her behalf?

10/22/2007 | Category » Courts  State » ALL  #10742
Is there a Time Frame for a Court Arraignment after Someone has been Jailed

How long can someone be in jail before taken to court for arraignment? (example: arrested on a Saturday 2:00 AM and still in jail as of Wednesday 5:00 PM with no court appearance). Is there a statute that I can refer to?

10/24/2007 | Category » Courts  State » NE  #10883
What can I do if I received a subpoena but am suppose to be in the hospital that day?

A subpeana was given to my son outside of my home for me, and I was wondering do I have to appear in court? I am supposed to be in the hospital that day for minor surgery anyway .

10/29/2007 | Category » Courts  State » IL  #11187
What type of law is non-profit law considered?

I am looking to do an internship that is law-related. The type of law that I am looking to go into is non-profit law. I was wondering what type of law that would fall under. My choices are corporate, criminal, public interest, and civil law. Does NPO law fall under any of the...

10/29/2007 | Category » Courts  State » IN  #11188
What is a motion for sanctions?

What is a motion for sanctions? Is this filed against a lawyer or a client?

10/30/2007 | Category » Courts  State » IL  #11257
Where do I get the form to request a continuance for a hearing?

10/31/2007 | Category » Courts  State » AZ  #11331
What does ARD stand for in the court system?

11/03/2007 | Category » Courts  State » PA  #11538
If I was never indicted on a felony charge is it still on my criminal record?

I had a felony charge and was indicted in Kentucky but the case was dismissed, with prejudice. How can I get this off my record?

11/05/2007 | Category » Courts  State » KY  #11679
What is the Statute of Limitations on forgery?

Are there any exceptions to the Statute of Limitations? I have original documents in my possession and located recorded county documents proving a mortgage loan officer committed over one thousand forgeries between 1995 and 2005. Ninety-five percent of the forgeries committed ...

11/08/2007 | Category » Courts  State » WA  #11901
What is the Time Limit for a Discovery Request

After I submit a "discovery request" to the District Attorney's office, how long do they have to return this information to me?

11/11/2007 | Category » Courts  State » CA  #12065
Please explain Health & Safety Code 7750 of California Law

My question is on disinterment. My father's grave at Rose Hills was flooded in 1998. They have been stalling us on moving him. They got a court order in 2000 and moved 3,000 graves. We want to have our dad move to a dry, stable location. They said we can not be present when he is...

11/20/2007 | Category » Courts  State » CA  #12593
How do I subpoena someone who is in jail?

11/24/2007 | Category » Courts  State » FL  #12762
What does it mean if the Judge strikes my answer and rules in favor of the Plaintiff?

I am currently going through an eviction. I answered a summons and do not understand what the judge's reply that I received. Please explain his decision for me as this is what he wrote. Order striking defendant's (myself) answer's, He's saying that the defendant's answer to tenan...

11/24/2007 | Category » Courts  State » FL  #12768
Is my son allowed to carry a gun for hunting if he is a convicted felon?

My son is 26, almost 27. When he was 19 he committed a burglary. He would like to be able to go hunting. His offense was a felony. Is he allowed to carry a gun in the field to hunt?

11/27/2007 | Category » Courts  State » OR  #12937
What is the Process for filing for a Judicial Release in Ohio

How do you file for a judicial release in the state of Ohio?

12/10/2007 | Category » Courts  State » OH  #13683
What Is The New Law For Cocaine In The State Of Tennessee

What is the new law for cocaine in the state of Tennessee?

12/15/2007 | Category » Courts  State » TN  #13948
Who Is Responsible For Retaining Counsel When Applying For Guardianship Of An Incapicated Person

I have applied for guardianship of my mother who has moderate dementia. She has been classified as legally incompetent and legally recognized as so. When I filed the guardianship papers, her brothers and sisters retained an attorney on her behalf, but they are paying his fees wit...

12/23/2007 | Category » Courts  State » OK  #14258
What is the Inconvenience Law In New York for missed appointments that can be billed?

I was told there is a Law called the Inconvenience Law. If you're late or miss an appointment you will be billed and you can turn the tables through this law.

03/09/2009 | Category » Courts  State » NY  #15500
What is Vacate Default

What is Vacate Default?

03/12/2009 | Category » Courts  State » ALL  #15576
How do you defend your self against a restraining order?

How do you defend your self against a restraining order? Does a restraining order go on your legal record? Is it listed in the newspaper?

03/15/2009 | Category » Courts  State » CT  #15634
What does it mean to issue a Subpoena Duces Techum?

My son who will be standing trial for burglary and theft of property, in Brevard County. Although, he has fired his Court Appointed Attorney he is attempting to Subpoena Duces Techum issued reuiring my appearance at court. He wants me to bring his laptop, monitor and a VGA(?) Doe...

03/20/2009 | Category » Courts  State » FL  #15700
How do I file a complaint against a circuit judge for misconduct?

04/07/2009 | Category » Courts  State » FL  #15914
What does it mean when you work in a law office and you see on legal documents pursuant to Rule 9A?

What does it mean when you work in a law office and you see on legal documents pursuant to Rule 9A. What does 9A mean?

04/27/2009 | Category » Courts  State » MA  #16219
I am seeking advice on writing a petition to Child Family Probate for a continuance of a hearing

I am looking for a form sample or advice on writing a petition to Child Family Probate, asking for a continuance of a hearing scheduled for April 9. Presently, my son is incarcerated and is being summoned by the mother of his two boys to have sole legal custody of his two boys. I...

04/28/2009 | Category » Courts  State » ALL  #16257
What could happen if I don not appear in court?

I am raising my 22 month old granddaughter, my daughter is immature, makes wrong choices and has an on going drug problem. My granddaughters father was a 48 year old man married to a close family friend; who had watched my daughter grow up. I was extremely upset and I attempted t...

04/29/2009 | Category » Courts  State » ALL  #16406
Can a taped conversation be used to present evidence?

Can a taped conversation be used to present evidence in all cases? Only one side was aware of conversation. Is there a way to have this evidence dismissed from the court?

05/04/2009 | Category » Courts  State » MS  #16541
Can a Judge select and appoint a pro bono guardian ad liltem?

Is it illegal and/or unethical for a probate judge to select and appoint a pro bono guardian ad liltem?

05/05/2009 | Category » Courts  State » IL  #16584
Can someone be held at an airport for a Writ of Bodily Attachment?

The Miami-Dade family court has ordered a Writ of Bodily Attachment for a friend of mine because of a divorce case. He does not live in Florida; only his wife and son do. I want to know if he can fly into New York without being held at the airport for this court order.

06/03/2009 | Category » Courts  State » FL  #16857