Criminal Legal Questions & Answers

Can I as a paralegal or representative of a legal office go and talk to an inmate in county jail?

Can I as a paralegal or other representative of a legal office go and talk to an inmate in county jail at anytime? I have to advise our client of an exparte motion and need signatures. Whom do I ask for, the watch commander, chief, or just go to the front desk? Visiting hours a...

01/09/2007 | Category » Criminal  State » CA  #279
How do you file a habeas corpus in abeyance?

How do you file a habeas corpus in abeyance? Would filing it in abeyance be a petition or a motion? Is it separate from the habeas corpus? Or should it be in the writ itself?

01/12/2007 | Category » Criminal  State » OK  #363
How can I apply to carry a firearm for hunting purposes if I am a convicted felon?

I was convicted of felony DWI in January 2004. I was sentenced to 5 years probation. I was released from Probation early, December 2006. I am wanting to get hunting and voting privileges back. Can you tell me what I need to do?

02/01/2007 | Category » Criminal  State » MO  #892
What is the inmate treaty program at Centinela State Prison in California?

My brother-in-law is incarcerated in Centinela State Prison in California and has been given the choice to agree to the inmate treaty program. We would like to know the exact details of what this means?

02/01/2007 | Category » Criminal  State » CA  #1093
Where can I get information about the Brady Law?

Where can I get information about the Brady Law and if your company has the so-called “Brady Motion”?

02/01/2007 | Category » Criminal  State » FL  #1203
Would someone convicted of uttering forgery under $500.00 be a felony?

Is Miss. Code Ann. 97-21-59 and /or 97-21-33 a swing statue? Would someone convicted of uttering forgery under $500.00 be a felony?

02/01/2007 | Category » Criminal  State » ALL  #1210

02/01/2007 | Category » Criminal  State » MS  #1213

Indiana Code (Section 20)
Section 14-16-1-20

(c) An individual may not...

Is a DUI and driving without a license a felony?

02/01/2007 | Category » Criminal  State » IN  #1288
What recourse do I have against a competitor using my name to advertise his business?

I own a bail bond company. My competition is trying to advertise using my name using his number to mislead consumers in thinking that they are doing business with me, as I am the only one doing Bonds in this area and have been for 18 years. He is trying to use my reputable name ...

02/01/2007 | Category » Criminal  State » MO  #1313
What is the exact dollar amount or dollar range for a "larceny" to become "grand larceny"?

02/01/2007 | Category » Criminal  State » IN  #1341
What is the time limit on being indicted on a felony count?

What is the time limit on being indicted on a felony count? And if it is four years, what should I do about having the charges taken off of my record?

02/01/2007 | Category » Criminal  State » GA  #1349
Who is responsible for payment of medical services for incarcerated inmates in Oklahoma?

I would like the oklahoma state statue for medical care of inmates incarcerated. Who is responsible for payment of medical services.

02/01/2007 | Category » Criminal  State » OK  #1353
What can I do as mayor if funds for police department were misspent?

I am a mayor in a small borough. Recently I hired a chief of police and one officer, after not having an officer or a police department for a entire budgeted year. When the citizens asked if the 2006 budgeted money was still there they were told "yes" by the president of the cou...

02/01/2007 | Category » Criminal  State » PA  #1394
Is it illegal for a 20 year old to have sex with a 16 year old?

Can a man of age of 20 go to jail for having sexual intercourse with a girl of the age of 16?

02/08/2007 | Category » Criminal  State » OH  #541
What Is Theft-Aggregated?

What Is Theft-Aggregated? I have been searching for information on this topic for hours and I can't get any information on it.

02/08/2007 | Category » Criminal  State » TX  #569
Is abandoning a child and/or wife punishable by law?

Is abandoning a child and/or wife punishable by law? If so, what is the punishment?

02/08/2007 | Category » Criminal  State » FL  #587
How does an inmate declare indigency for the purposes of getting transcripts of his trial?

How does an inmate declare indigency for the purposes of getting transcripts of his trial? We are being quoted almost $700 for just the motion hearing transcript. His attorney abandoned him after the trial and we are trying to get another attorney but he needs the transcripts t...

02/12/2007 | Category » Criminal  State » GA  #677
What is a misdemeanor?

What is a misdemeanor?

02/13/2007 | Category » Criminal  State » WI  #696
What is the difference between rape and gross sexual imposition?

02/16/2007 | Category » Criminal  State » OH  #720
What is the penalty for second degree rape and sexual battery in North Carolina?

02/16/2007 | Category » Criminal  State » NC  #723
If the police say they have probable cause can they arrest you?

If the police say they have probable cause can they arrest you? Can they take your prints? Can they make you come in to the station house?

02/16/2007 | Category » Criminal  State » NJ  #737
Can I revoke the waiver of counsel I signed at the courthouse before court?

Can I revoke the waiver of counsel I signed at the courthouse before court? I have appeared and been given a sentence but feel it is unjust and would like counsel appointed to appeal or amend the sentence.

03/01/2007 | Category » Criminal  State » KS  #759
What would the charge be if I attempted to run over someone with my car?

My son (17yrs) and I had a heated argument. After I left the scene he contacted the police and stated that I tried to run him over with my car. The police have called me in for questioning. What would the charge be and how much time would I be facing if this incident occurred?

03/02/2007 | Category » Criminal  State » TN  #781
Is it illegal for a teacher to have sexual relations with a minor student?

03/02/2007 | Category » Criminal  State » FL  #782
Is there is a public record or free background check website to check if one has a criminal record?

Is there is a public record or a free background check website to check if one has a criminal record?

03/02/2007 | Category » Criminal  State » CA  #786
What is the difference between an excuse defense and a justification defense?

What is the difference between an excuse defense and a justification defense? Also where can I find some court cases involving the two?

03/03/2007 | Category » Criminal  State » GA  #789
How soon after being discharged from prison does a sex offender have before he has to register?

How soon after being discharged from prison does a sex offender have before he has to register as a sex offender?

03/19/2007 | Category » Criminal  State » WV  #1735
What type of form do I need to appeal my sentence if I am representing myself?

I'm trying to appeal my sentence. I don't know what legal form I need. I am representing myself. What kind of motion do I need to turn into the court and district attorney to change this sentence?

03/27/2007 | Category » Criminal  State » CA  #2231
Where can I find information on auto vandalism?

03/28/2007 | Category » Criminal  State » GA  #2260
What is the statue of limitations on filing charges for embezzlement?

03/29/2007 | Category » Criminal  State » OK  #2328
What recourse do I have for false arrest?

Isn't there some kind of law that prohibits any further action based on allegations beginning with false criminal entry into a residential home, false arrest, and detaining children through social services. The whole plan of action was orchestrated and allegations through the dep...

04/01/2007 | Category » Criminal  State » CA  #2428
What is the penalty for a 21 year old male having sexual intercourse with a 17 year old girl?

What is the penalty for consentual sexual intercourse between a 16 year old girl (now 17) and a 21 year old male.Reported by male's ex-girlfriend to authroities. Future contact between the 17 and 21 year old?

04/02/2007 | Category » Criminal  State » WI  #2466
Is sex between a 16 year old male and a 20 year old female illegal in North Carolina?

04/02/2007 | Category » Criminal  State » NC  #2485
If my son is convicted of a misdemeanor involving drugs can he still teach?

My son is a 1st year college student working towards a degree in education. He was out with, what I would call, the wrong crowd one night. After getting pulled over the police retrieved from under the seat of the car where my son was sitting a bag with about $10.00 worth of marij...

04/03/2007 | Category » Criminal  State » OH  #2576
What can I do if I was arrested but was not read my Miranda Rights?

If you were arrested and your rights were not read nor were you told what you were being arrested for. What can you do? If the officer told the family member what you're being arrested for and then once processed you find out later that you have been charged with something else. ...

04/06/2007 | Category » Criminal  State » GA  #2703
If a person gets a restraining order against someone, can they still contact that person via phone?

If a person files a restraining order against someone, and the person is complying with the order against them, but the person who asked for the restraing order is calling the person at their home? Why are they allowed to do that?

04/07/2007 | Category » Criminal  State » PA  #2751
What can you do if someone lies in a statement to the police to have you arrested?

If a person fills out a statement that is false to have you charged on a criminal matter can I bring them to court for false arrest?

04/07/2007 | Category » Criminal  State » NH  #2754
Can my boyfriend's wife have me arrested for trespassing even if she does not live there?

I am involved with a man whose wife wants to divorce him. He is living in their house, she has been living with her parents for about five months. She recently told him that because the house is in both their names, if she ever catches me in the house she will have me arrested fo...

04/07/2007 | Category » Criminal  State » NJ  #2764
Is it legal for someone in the city to point a gun at you?

Is it legal for someone in the city to point a gun or wave a gun at you for no reason?

04/08/2007 | Category » Criminal  State » MT  #2792
Who would I report my employer to for embezzeling funds from his own company?

My employer has who has a partner, has been embezzeling money from his company for years. In the past 3 years he has repeatedly made very delinquent deposits into my 401k and continued to take out payments for insurance for 4 months after he let the policy lapse for non-payment. ...

04/09/2007 | Category » Criminal  State » LA  #2855
What is the law against someone stealing your personal checks and using them?

04/10/2007 | Category » Criminal  State » AL  #2889
Can you actually be charged with drug possession if it is not in your possession?

My son was arrested for marijuana possession and minor consuming. The office said that he had thrown marijuana in a trash can. He said he did not and this was at a party where some kids ran. His bac level was .02 and he swears he hadn't been drinking either. The drinking thin...

04/10/2007 | Category » Criminal  State » IN  #2916
Can a mental person waive his rights when being questioned by police?

If someone is mentally unstable or suicidal at the time they are being questioned by detectives, can they waive their rights to an attorney and what would the terminology for that be?

04/13/2007 | Category » Criminal  State » FL  #3070
In the state of Alabama how much money is involved in a theft of property-2, type F?

04/15/2007 | Category » Criminal  State » TN  #3105
What is the critiria of a tier 3 for Megan's Law?

04/18/2007 | Category » Criminal  State » NJ  #3191
Can I file criminal charges against my husband's adult children who wrote checks without permission?

I have recently learned my husband's adult children (ages 45- 58) have written approximately $40,000 in checks using his bank account. One of them paid their American Express card once for $10,000 and again a month later for $9500. I understand that this could be considered cr...

04/28/2007 | Category » Criminal  State » OH  #3373
Is it a felony for a high speed chase and running on foot from police?

04/28/2007 | Category » Criminal  State » CA  #3399
Where does my witness need to sign the affidavit stating charges against me for false?

I now reside in Florida. Six years ago I was accused by my then wife of attacking her in public. I didn't, but her lawyer used it to make the custody such, that I would have to pick up my children at the Waynesville city jail, where I would be arrested on assault charges, and s...

04/30/2007 | Category » Criminal  State » NC  #3457
Could you please explain the purposes of counts when charged of an offense?

05/02/2007 | Category » Criminal  State » OH  #3544
Is there a time limit for how long after I was pulled over till I was given a blood test?

05/02/2007 | Category » Criminal  State » PA  #3548
May I inquire to the police about the investigation of my cousin?

My cousin was just murdered about two months ago. Can I ask how far along they are in the investigation?

05/05/2007 | Category » Criminal  State » CA  #3802
Is it illegal to pay a ransom?

Is it illegal to pay a ransom?

05/05/2007 | Category » Criminal  State » FL  #3805
Is identity fraud a felony?

Is identity fraud a felony? If so, how many years it carries?

05/05/2007 | Category » Criminal  State » VA  #3825
What will happen at a pretrial?

I have a scheduled date for a “pretrial”? I am not sure what this is or its purpose. Am I to be arrested? I was released on my own recognizance, and I was told that my trial date was scheduled for July. I want to know if I am going to be arrested at this pretr...

05/07/2007 | Category » Criminal  State » KY  #3995
Could 12 counts of forgery count as one criminal act or are they all separate?

If 12 counts of forgery (forged time cards) in this case, could this constitute one criminal act since a first degree theft was charged as a direct result of the forgeries?

05/08/2007 | Category » Criminal  State » WA  #4180
Is it illegal to have moon shine still in Kentucky?

Is it against the law to have a moon shine still?

05/08/2007 | Category » Criminal  State » KY  #4272
Can my Husband Press Charges of Prostitution?

If you are a married female and you took money from someone who asked you to masterbate for them and your husband was there can he press charges of prostitution?

05/09/2007 | Category » Criminal  State » WV  #4357
If you are not read your rights when arrested can the charges be dismissed?

If you are arrested for assult and battery charges and the police do not read you your rights, can this charge be thrown out ?

05/10/2007 | Category » Criminal  State » VA  #4402

Entrapment occurs if the conduct of the investigating officers or their agents in dealing with...

I am an owner of a liquor store. Can the department of revenue come to your business with a minor for the purpose of sending the minor in to your business to purchase alcohol. If so, should the minor also be charged for this illegal purchase?

05/10/2007 | Category » Criminal  State » SC  #4416
What charges can be filed against me if I allow two inmates to fight while working for a jail?

What charges can be filed against me if I allow two inmates to fight while working for a correctional facility?

05/11/2007 | Category » Criminal  State » PA  #4466
Can a rent-to-own company file felony charges against me for not return the property?

Can a Rent to own company file felony charges against you if you left their items in an apartment because you were working out of town and when your job ended you were not able to contact them, but the following working day you called them and told them to pick up their stuff and...

05/11/2007 | Category » Criminal  State » TX  #4490
Is there some way my daughter can have her criminal charges expunged after completing sentencing?

My 18 year old daughter was arrested for shop lifting. The value of the shirts was $60.00. She received a Class B Misdemeanor and will go to court May 15. I have heard that if she pays the fine the charge will stay on her record if she takes probation it would come off her recor...

05/12/2007 | Category » Criminal  State » TX  #4533
Can I be fired due to failure to disclose a crime at work? - Criminal

While I was employed for an online company, a coworker who was carpooling with me told me she had stolen a credit card and placed an order on another website. That coworker was then fired about a week later. Our company policy stated that if you know of any fraud situations, yo...

05/13/2007 | Category » Criminal  State » IA  #4619
What can happen if I have been arrested for underage drinking three times?

I have been arrested for an underage drinking charge 3 times in the state of Georgia. In my most recent case I was sentenced to a first offenders treatment. For some reason, I believe in one of my other cases I was given the first offenders treatment. If this is true, what will h...

05/14/2007 | Category » Criminal  State » GA  #4688
What is the difference between "State felony" as apposed to 1st, 2nd or 3rd degree felony?

05/15/2007 | Category » Criminal  State » TX  #4761
What is the difference between an ex-parte restraining order and a TMO/TMRO?

05/15/2007 | Category » Criminal  State » WA  #4872
What can I legally do if my boyfriend has used my social security number?

I have just recently became aware that my boyfriend has used my social security number without my consent to do so.I have had thirteen inquiries on my credit report from various places he has used my number at.At no time did I authorize any usage of it,and now it is showing that ...

05/22/2007 | Category » Criminal  State » IN  #5601
What does term poss cs pg mean?

What does the term poss cs pg mean in reference to possession of drugs?

05/27/2007 | Category » Criminal  State » TX  #5980
How much time do you serve for resisting arrest?

05/31/2007 | Category » Criminal  State » IN  #6074

The application of the Due Process Clause of the Fourteenth Amendment to criminal prosecutions...

I was arrested and charged with two misdemeanors on February 17, 2007. My court date is June 4. Do I have any rights concerning having a quick and speedy trial?

05/31/2007 | Category » Criminal  State » MN  #6091
The sentence will depend, in part, on the sentencing guidelines for that particular court. A atto...

i would like to know what the possible penalty could be for a first time offense, no previous crimal record for a shoplifting charge, and if an attorney should be retained for this charge. All merchandise was returned however the amount of merchandise returned was in excess if 20...

06/01/2007 | Category » Criminal  State » ME  #6097

Shoplifting is a crime of theft governed by state laws, which vary by state. Shoplifting can i...

Can you be charged with shoplifting two weeks after the incedent took place and without the merchadise?

06/02/2007 | Category » Criminal  State » MN  #6114
Does the state of Maryland have the Rape Shield law?

06/18/2007 | Category » Criminal  State » MD  #6515
What is the penalty for disorderly conduct in Kansas?

I am possibly going to be charged with disorderly conduct for a verbal altercation. Can you tell me the penalty for this offense?

07/10/2007 | Category » Criminal  State » KS  #7073

It varies by case, but generally conviction on a lesser included offense bars retrial on the g...

If a person is arrested for a crime on a warrant, goes to trial, and ends up getting convicted of a lesser crime, can they be arrested and tried for the original crime charged in the first trial? Would double jeopardy apply to a case like this?

07/28/2007 | Category » Criminal  State » CA  #7561
What is the punishment for grand larceny in South Carolina?

What is the punishment for grand larceny?

08/03/2007 | Category » Criminal  State » SC  #7689
What is the montary differance between grand and petty larceny in South Carolina?

What is the montary differance between grand and petty larceny ?

08/03/2007 | Category » Criminal  State » SC  #7701
It is very possible that you were charged with possession of drug paraphernalia as defined in sec...

I was charged with possession of marijuana. However the police found a pipe on me and absoultley no marijuana. Is this a ligit charge?

08/13/2007 | Category » Criminal  State » WV  #7902
Is attempted suicide agaist the law?

Is attempted suicide agaist the law? If yes, what are the charges?

09/20/2007 | Category » Criminal  State » MA  #8918
What is "Theft Third Degree"?

What is "Theft Third Degree"? I pled guilty to this in the state of Washington. Was I convicted of a crime? If so, is it a misdeanor or a felony? I'm applying for a job as a Secretary with a local police department here in Richmond, Virginia and if its a felony, I need to kno...

09/25/2007 | Category » Criminal  State » VA  #9050
What are the requirements to file statutory rape charges?

I have a son who is 17 years old and up till about 4 months ago by his own admission he was a virgin. During the winter time there was a 19 year old girl who was kicked out of her sister's house and needed a place to stay. I let here spend the night. I've just learned that on thi...

09/25/2007 | Category » Criminal  State » TN  #9062
What are the laws in Tennessee for a bigamy?

09/27/2007 | Category » Criminal  State » TN  #9191
What is the Alabama state law for drunk driving?

What is the Alabama state law for drunk driving? Also, what is the penalty for killing someone while driving drunk. My son-in-law was killed by a drunk driver. The man that killed him did not have car insurance. He is now out on bail. We the family want to know what we can d...

10/01/2007 | Category » Criminal  State » SC  #9424
If you drive someone to a drug deal without knowing what is happening are you guilty?

Under the law of parties in Texas - if a person drives someone to a drug deal and does not know what is to take place until it starts happening in front of them are they guilty of delivery of controlled substance or do they have to know what is going on from the beginning? And ar...

10/01/2007 | Category » Criminal  State » TX  #9428

The “Stet Docket” is an inactive court docket in which the court indefinit...

What is a step or stet docket?

10/03/2007 | Category » Criminal  State » MD  #9575
What can I do If I know a family member is using my personal information?

What can I do If I know a family member is using my personal information D.L. and date of birth, and social security number for acts to harm my identity?

10/06/2007 | Category » Criminal  State » TX  #9764
Possible charges for an 18 year old boy sleeping with a 13 year old girl.

If a 13 year old girl had sex with an 18 year old boy, what could be the charges? The girl does not want it to be a rape charge.

10/11/2007 | Category » Criminal  State » MS  #10110
Grounds for statutory rape in Texas

I have a son born April 19, 1989. He is dating a girl who was born April 29,1992. We have just found out that she is pregnant. Can her mother file statutory rape charges against him?

10/14/2007 | Category » Criminal  State » TX  #10257
Is there a time frame for formal charges to be filed after an arrest?

My 19 year old son was arrested for taking a pickup truck. He turned himself in and was arrested for Criminal Defamation of Property. We paid the bail and he was released; however, we cannot find out the formal charges against him so we know whether or not to hire an attorney. ...

10/16/2007 | Category » Criminal  State » KS  #10360
What does it mean if the federal government charges you with conspiracy?

What does the charge conspiracy mean if federal agents arrested a person due to having the phone taped of a person in which they were investigating?

10/17/2007 | Category » Criminal  State » CA  #10461
What is the statute of limitations for obtaining a controlled substance by fraud?

If someone is running from an obtaining a controlled substance by fraud, how long would they have to stay gone before the court could no longer prosecute??

10/18/2007 | Category » Criminal  State » SC  #10520
Rule 21 of the Colorado Rules of Criminal Procedure

I'm trying to find information on Colorado's Rule 21.

10/20/2007 | Category » Criminal  State » OH  #10631
Penalties for Shoplifting an Inexpensive Item

I was caught shoplifting roughly $5.69 worth of cough medicine. I am twenty years old and have no legal record other than this. What is the worst they can do to me?

10/23/2007 | Category » Criminal  State » KY  #10775
Process for filing for an Early Release from an Ohio Prison

For someone who is in prison in Ohio, how can they file for an early release?

10/24/2007 | Category » Criminal  State » IN  #10877
Consequences of Trading Nude Pictures Online

I met this guy online who was 23 and lived in West Virginia. I'm 17 and live in New Jersey. We traded nude pictures, my mom called the police, and now they want to investigate. Is there any way that he could get in trouble? I really hope not because I was at the age of consent as...

10/25/2007 | Category » Criminal  State » NJ  #10915
Is Nebraska a state that participates in the Nonresident Violator Compact?

Is Nebraska a state that participates in the Nonresident Violator Compact? My violation is for possession of drug paraphernalia.

10/25/2007 | Category » Criminal  State » NE  #10947
Consequences of Writing Bad Checks for Not For Profit Organization by President

The writing of checks with insufficient funds by the president cost the not for profit organization a lot of money and penalties which were never re-paid. Is it considered a negligent conduct on his part or is this considered a misdemeanor or felony in the State of Illinois?

10/28/2007 | Category » Criminal  State » IL  #11100
Can a 19 year old face charges for getting his 15 year old girlfriend pregnant

My friend is pregnant and 15. The dad is 19 now, but he was 18 when she got pregnant. She is worried that if she goes along with the pregnancy, the father will get in trouble and go to prison as a sex offender. I have been trying to help her find information, but we both keep hea...

10/29/2007 | Category » Criminal  State » IN  #11207
If you get arrested for shoplifiting do they have to wait until you get outside of the store?

10/29/2007 | Category » Criminal  State » MS  #11215
What is the maximum sentence for the following crimes: use child dsp sx, Cont Sex Del Minor?

What is the maximum sentence a judge can hand down for the following crimes: use child dsp sx, Cont Sex Del Minor?

10/31/2007 | Category » Criminal  State » OR  #11325
Is endangering the welfare of a child in the third degree a felony or misdemeanor?

11/01/2007 | Category » Criminal  State » NJ  #11367
Is reckless driving a class A or B misdemeanor?

In may of 1980 I went to municipal court in Alabama for a DUI charge. I had the charge lowered to reckless driving and would like to know if this falls into the catagory of a class A or B misdemeanor?

11/03/2007 | Category » Criminal  State » AL  #11531
Suspending Privileges for Non-resident for DUI Charge

My son has a DUI in Florida. They are going back 10 years on his record and charging him with his 3rd offense. Is this 3rd offense still valid in Kentucky? All the offenses except one are in Kentucky, which is his legal residence; however, one of them is past 5 years old and thus...

11/05/2007 | Category » Criminal  State » KY  #11637
What is the maximum punishment for battery by a prisoner?

Please help me to understand what is the maximum punishment for battery by prisoner. Also, how can you approach the judge as far as defending yourself.

11/07/2007 | Category » Criminal  State » WI  #11812
Is hit and run with leaving the scene of an accident a felony or misdemeanor?

Is hit and run leaving the scene of an accident with no personal injuries. It was a first offense, so is this a felony or misdemeanor and what is likely penalty?

11/07/2007 | Category » Criminal  State » FL  #11821
In the state of California what is the definition of "under the influence of a controlled substance"

In the state of California what is the definition of "under the influence of a controlled substance" (not driving). I was under the impression that you had to have used within the last 24 hours. Is that correct? In the case of "Meth" use they can only tell if you had used wit...

11/09/2007 | Category » Criminal  State » CA  #11957
What can I do about a concealed weapons charge?

What can I do about a concealed weapon charge I got yesterday for having a gun with no license? If I get my license before I go to court will that prevent me from going to jail? I live in Norfolk, VA.

11/09/2007 | Category » Criminal  State » VA  #11961
Will a domestic violence charge still appear on my criminal record?

I was arrested in Jan. 2007 on a domestic violence charge in North Las Vegas, NV, to which I plead guilty. The judge gave me community sevice, fines, and domestic violence classes. He told me that once the sentence was complete my charge would be ammended to disturbing the peace...

11/09/2007 | Category » Criminal  State » TX  #11971
Is indecent exposure a moral turpitude violation?

11/10/2007 | Category » Criminal  State » OK  #11988
What Constitutes Forgery

I received counterfeit money orders in the mail and sent my daughter to the place they are drawn from to see if they were good. She was sent to a bank to have them verified and was arrested for forgery. How can she be prosecuted for forgery when she didn't sign anything and I tol...

11/10/2007 | Category » Criminal  State » IN  #12006
Can my son be removed from the school bus for an incident that happened off the bus

MY SON IS BEING KICKED OFF THE BUS FOR 6 DAYS FOR AN INCIDENT THAT HAPPENED AFTER HE WAS OFF THE BUS AND HOME FOR AT LEAST 10 MINUTES. HE IS BEING ACCUSED OF MAKING INAPPROPRIATE HAND GESTURES IN OUR FRONT YARD TO ANOTHER KID IN OUR YARD AS THE BUS WENT BY. THE DRIVER STATED HE T...

11/13/2007 | Category » Criminal  State » PA  #12166
Is there anyway if I was given probation in a state I do not live, that it can be moved?

The courts in Florida have charged me with simple battery (misdomeanor) and one year probation. Now they want me to pay restitution which is going to be impossible for me to pay. I support 3 children and my elderly parents. What should I do? I can not afford to keep traveling...

11/14/2007 | Category » Criminal  State » NC  #12220
Is the limit the same for public drunk as it is for driving while drinking in Georgia?

My husband was arrested for public intoxication last night. He was mearly walking down the road (on the sidewalk) and was not causing any kind of problem. He blew a 1.09 which would be considered over the limit for driving but he was walking. Is there a legal limit for public int...

11/14/2007 | Category » Criminal  State » GA  #12230
New Jersey Sentencing Guidelines for Charges of Terroristic Threat

I need to know the New Jersey sentencing guidelines for terroristic threats. My sister lives in Arizona and was just notified over the phone by a police officer in New Jersey that she was being charged with terroristic threats due to a phone call that was supposedly made from Ari...

11/15/2007 | Category » Criminal  State » NJ  #12286
What is the legal definition of obstruction of justice?

If you lie to a police officer about something that would have no effect on another person being arrested is that considered obstruction of Justice?

11/19/2007 | Category » Criminal  State » IL  #12525
What are the Penalties for Fleeing the Scene of an Accident

My 19 year old son borrowed a friends car. It was foggy and the ground was moist. When he stopped at a stop sign and accelerated too fast and lost control, he hit a parked car and then fled the scene. What penalties is he likely to face?

11/19/2007 | Category » Criminal  State » CA  #12563
Is Voyeurism considered an act of moral turpitude?

11/20/2007 | Category » Criminal  State » OH  #12607
What Constitues Grand Theft

What is grand theft? My son was charged with it. He was hit by a department store guard who said my son hit him and was robbing the place. According to this guard, he took under 30 dollars of art items from the store, but he was not trying to run. I was there and the attorney ...

11/20/2007 | Category » Criminal  State » CA  #12628
Consequences of Contributing to the Delinquency of a Minor

Is contributing to the delinquency of a minor a felony or a misdemeanor?

11/21/2007 | Category » Criminal  State » AR  #12647
What is the dollar amount associated with grand larceny versus petty larceny?

What is dollar value associated with the definition of grand larceny, vice petty or petit larceny in the State of Missouri?

11/21/2007 | Category » Criminal  State » MO  #12653
Am I legally required to rent to tenants who have pending criminal charges?

In doing a background check on a potential tenant, I discovered two of the four students have been charged with felony embezzlement with a court date of March 2008. What is the threshold for the felony to be labled as a felony instead of a misdemeanor and what is felony embezzle...

11/21/2007 | Category » Criminal  State » NC  #12684
Penalties for DUI 40-6-391

I would like to know penalties for DUI 40-6-391 including loss of license and any other penalties.

11/25/2007 | Category » Criminal  State » GA  #12810
Is it Legal for a Non-Custodial Parent to Give Alcohol to a Minor Child

Is it legal for a non-custodial step parent to give a minor (age 13) alcohol? If the answer is no, what are the steps to prosecute?

11/27/2007 | Category » Criminal  State » TX  #12920
What is the fine or punishment for baiting deer?

What is the fine or punishment for baiting deer? first time offense

11/27/2007 | Category » Criminal  State » VA  #12927
What is the sentencing guidelines for check theft/forgery?

What is the sentencing guidelines for check theft/forgery. Is it also considered a federal offense? A check was stolen. The signature forged and the check cashed in the amount of $200.00. The forger is an adult.

11/29/2007 | Category » Criminal  State » VA  #13033
Can you explain what conspiracy charges are and what evidence is needed to bring these charges?

My brother was on the run for 2 failures to appear on assualt charges, he learned that the Feds had a Federal Indictment for conspiracy. He has been arrested and is in Federal Prison awaiting trail. I know that the charge involves drugs but that's all. Can you explain what conspi...

11/29/2007 | Category » Criminal  State » NC  #13045
What can I do to have seatbelt violations removed from my driving record?

I am getting my license suspended. I got two tickets for not wearing seatbelt. The tickets are on my intermidate drivers license. My license is very imported to me and my mom because I work 40+ hours a week as a plumber to help support my mom and at night I do my school. What ca...

11/30/2007 | Category » Criminal  State » WA  #13149
Is a DUI a felony in Alabama?

If you get a DUI in Mobile, AL and do not blow. Is it automatically a felony? I was told it was and not just a misdemeanor?

12/01/2007 | Category » Criminal  State » AL  #13169
Kansas Law Regarding Battery against a Law Enforcement Officer

I work in a correctional facility in Kansas and was hurt by an inmate. I have been refused for job-injury-leave. I am mainly interested in aggravated battery against aw enforcement officers. I know that when on duty I carry the same enforcement that regular law officers carry.

12/02/2007 | Category » Criminal  State » KS  #13202
Can an Adult be Punished for Pursuing a Minor over the Internet

An adult (Age 18+) contacted a 15 year old minor over an instant messaging program. He spoke to her and said something along the lines of teaching her to masturbate over the phone or teach her how to have phone sex. He asked her to give him a quantity of nude pictures of hersel...

12/03/2007 | Category » Criminal  State » FL  #13304
Is the consumption of magic mushrooms (shrooms) illegal?

Is the consumption of magic mushrooms (shrooms) prohibited?

12/04/2007 | Category » Criminal  State » CA  #13344
What are the Laws Pertaining to Pornography

I teach sex education to young adults with developmental disabilities. Several of the male students have explored pornography on the internet. What specifically are the laws pertaining to this and what is the definition of pornography?

12/06/2007 | Category » Criminal  State » MI  #13462
Parole Terms Effective January 1, 2008 for Non-Violent Offenses

How will the new parole terms effective January 1, 2008 affect the length of time a parolee will be on parole for non-violent offenses?

12/07/2007 | Category » Criminal  State » CA  #13512
What Constitutes Criminal Impersonation

My 19 year old son was charged with criminal impersonation. He was arrested outside a bar/restaurant with his older brother's driver's license in his pocket; is that criminal impersonation?

12/08/2007 | Category » Criminal  State » CT  #13564
What degrees are there for a felony and what constitutes them?

12/09/2007 | Category » Criminal  State » TX  #13604
What is the Legal Age of Consent in the State of Washington

My friend's 15 year old son is developing a relationship with a 20 year old girl. She will be 21 in February and he will be 16 in May. They have kissed, but they say that's it so far. They plan to start a real dating relationship when he turns 16. I've heard conflicting inform...

12/12/2007 | Category » Criminal  State » WA  #13752
Is it Legal for A Utility Worker to Peep Through the Window at My Wife

The oil guy was standing in my back yard about to deliver oil when my wife went into the bathroom spent sometime in front of the mirror, disrobed, turned the shower on, waited for the water to get hot. She thought that she saw something in the backyard, peered through the window ...

12/12/2007 | Category » Criminal  State » NH  #13763
What Are The Guidelines For Charging Someone With Statutory Rape

My 15 year old daughter had sex with a 17 year old boy. They videotaped it with my camera according to my daughter and the boy's mother destroyed the tape and I have not seen the camera since. Can I sue the boy's mother for destruction of my property and concealing the fact tha...

12/15/2007 | Category » Criminal  State » GA  #13935
Is It Legal To Marry And Have Sex With My Niece

Can an Uncle have sexual relations, marriage, children, ect. with his niece in the state of Texas? What legal actions can be made?

12/19/2007 | Category » Criminal  State » TX  #14103
What Are The Legal Ramifications Of An Adult Communicating With A Minor

What legal ramifications would come to an adult man who is caught inappropriately communicating with a minor either by internet or directly.

12/20/2007 | Category » Criminal  State » OH  #14173
0Is It Possible To Be Charged With Obstructing The Law When That Was Not The Intentions

How do I know if I was really interfering with a law officer and his ongoing investigation in my own yard, if I did not know of the officer's presence nor his ongoing investigation? I was calling a friend before I even knew the officer was present. The suspects the officer was ...

12/20/2007 | Category » Criminal  State » GA  #14208
Is a BB gun considered a firearm that someone can be charged with a felony?

Is a BB gun considered a firearm that someone can be charged with a felony for either shooting it in a city limit and being in possession of or pointing it at someone?

12/21/2007 | Category » Criminal  State » OK  #14218
What Is The Punishment For Leaving The Scene Of An Accident

What is the maximum and the minimum punishment for leaving the scene of an accident?

01/02/2008 | Category » Criminal  State » VA  #14400
Can You Legally Record A Government Employee Without Their Knowledge Or Consent

Is it legal in the state of Ohio to tape record a government employee without their knowledge(specifically a children's services agent or probation officer)?

01/03/2008 | Category » Criminal  State » OH  #14413
What Is The Criteria Of Right To A Speedy Trial In California

What is the criteria of right to a speedy trial in California?

11/25/2008 | Category » Criminal  State » CA  #14723
If I am threatened by a hunter with a firearm do I have the right to defend myself by deadly force?

I live in Arkansas and own several acres of wooded property around the house in which I live. Every year I have problems with hunters trespassing. If I am threatened by a hunter with a firearm do I have the right to defend myself using deadly force? I also possess a concealed h...

12/05/2008 | Category » Criminal  State » AR  #14746
Who is Responsible for Injuries Sustained While Shoplifting

Does a sore clerk have the right to tackle you from behind without saying a word, slam you into stuff, go in your pockets, and lock you in a room, if he suspects that you are shoplifting? Who is responsible for my injuries?

12/13/2008 | Category » Criminal  State » LA  #14798
Is Purchasing a Used Clothing Item and Returning it to a Department Store Considered Theft

I recently returned a suit to a department store. I was unaware that the suit was a knock-off (I purchased it from an online auction). The suit did not have a tag, but being a one time employee there, I knew what the policy was. The policy is to get a tag from a similar item to a...

12/13/2008 | Category » Criminal  State » MD  #14803
What does it mean to be charged with enticing a minor female for prostitution?

F266 ENTICE MINOR FEMALE FOR PROSTITUTION' - what does this mean?

02/10/2009 | Category » Criminal  State » CA  #15216
What are the trafficking of methamphetamine sentencing guidelines for Alabama?

02/11/2009 | Category » Criminal  State » AL  #15225
What does sexual abuse in the first degree mean?

What does sexual abuse in the first degree mean? What are the penalties under the law?

02/17/2009 | Category » Criminal  State » KY  #15262
What are the requirements to be charged with hit and run in the city if incident occured in county?

If you run into property out in the county and give your insurance information to the owner, can you later be charged with hit and run by a city policeman?

02/17/2009 | Category » Criminal  State » NC  #15270
Do citations go on your criminal history if you never go to trial?

I have 3 citations on my criminal history report. Two for disorderly conduct (1 of which was dismissed)and 1 failure to report an accident. I plead guilty and only paid a fine. Do these count as convictions or simply charged, even though I never went to trial for any?

02/18/2009 | Category » Criminal  State » MI  #15281
How can I keep my ex from posting nude pictures of me on the internet if I do not pay him money?

My ex boyfriend paid $10k for plastic surgery for me that we both wanted. Following our break-up, he's threatening to post nude and other intimate pictures of me on the internet unless I pay him the $10,000. We never agreed that I would pay him anything. Now he's calling and e-...

02/23/2009 | Category » Criminal  State » FL  #15334
What can I do if I believe I am being criminally entrapped by the police?

I was at my cousins house when he was arrested for drugs; I was also charged because I was there and I have a prior record (10 yrs ago). I was not involved at this time. My cousin hired lawyers for both of us and they were only interested until my cousins money ran out. They sho...

02/25/2009 | Category » Criminal  State » TX  #15364
Revocation of Probation in Oregon

After my husband got arrested for dealing methamphetamine, our home was raided. I was at home at the time and was charged and later sentenced. It has been 9 months since I was sentenced and I've been reporting to my probation officer, paid my fines, and did my compensatory servic...

03/02/2009 | Category » Criminal  State » OR  #15409
Liability for Fondling an Adult in Illinois

In the state of Illinois, what is the severity level for fondling an 18 year old that happened over 7 years ago? She was 18 at the time and is now 25.

03/08/2009 | Category » Criminal  State » IL  #15484
Prosecutor Lying to a Perspective Witness

Is it legal for a prosecutor to lie to a prospective 'witness' regarding a person or case to try and influence them to testify? Is it legal for a prosecutor to call and make accusations to persons prior to a trial regarding the character of a person.... i.e. can a prosecutor call...

03/10/2009 | Category » Criminal  State » TX  #15505
Should I have been notified when my teen daughter was questioned for Disturbing the Peace at school?

My 15 year old daughter was part of a group of teenagers who 'toilet papered' a house. She was in the group but did not participate. Two months following the incident; while at school, my daughter was questioned and intimidated by threat of Juvenile Hall regarding the event. Sh...

03/12/2009 | Category » Criminal  State » CA  #15575
Does being indicted in a nolle proseculi case automatically start a new case

I am involved in a case which was recently nolle proseculi, I was reindicted 5 days later, does this reindictment constitute a new case does the time line for bringing defendant to trial ( speedy trial issue ) start anew?

03/12/2009 | Category » Criminal  State » VA  #15587
False arrest on a Paid Traffic Ticket

My son (26) was arrested on a warrant for a ticket which was taken care of. He has the ticket stamped by the court. He has been held in jail for 3 days because he was arrested on Saturday & Monday was a holiday. He has lost 2 days of work & embarrassed beyond belief, can ...

03/12/2009 | Category » Criminal  State » ALL  #15590
What can I do for my 13 year old mentally handicapped son who has been charged with a sex crime?

My son is 13 years old he is charged with gross sexual impostion with a 4 year old. He has been in special education all his life, he told the judge that he under stood the charges and penalty involved, I feel that he doesn't. This happen in a county other than ours police quest...

03/15/2009 | Category » Criminal  State » OH  #15631
Sex Offender

My boyfriend of one year has told me that he was arrested 4 months AFTER having sex with a minor whom had lied about her age at that time. now he feels like he is living in hell right now because he couldn't get a job or move in with me; the state made him to be placed on the sex...

03/17/2009 | Category » Criminal  State » ALL  #15663
Is Inappropriate Touching in Tanning Salon viewed as Sexual Harassment?

Spray tanning in an enclosed room. Sexual harassment if touched inappropriately?

03/18/2009 | Category » Criminal  State » MA  #15678
Can my son be placed under arrest for an incident occuring on the school bus three weeks after?

My 14 year old son may be charged with battery for an incident that happened on a school bus. Students on the bus were going back and forth with this girl. She became angry and directed a lot of anger and made threats to my son. As she approached him a few times with a belt an...

03/21/2009 | Category » Criminal  State » IL  #15707
Can a 'Continuance Without a Finding' be considered a misdemeanor if it was dismissed?

Can a person with a 'Continuance Without a Finding' (first offense) for possession on a small amount of a controlled substance B, (whereas the probationary period was successfully terminated, and the case was then dismissed)be considered by the legal system (immediately post dism...

03/24/2009 | Category » Criminal  State » MA  #15750
Are those allowed out of prison while in treatment for addiction considered paroled?

Are those allowed out of prison while in treatment for addiction or alcoholism under California proposition 36 considered to be on parole?

03/26/2009 | Category » Criminal  State » CA  #15760
Deferred Adjudication in Oregon

My daughter recently moved to a dorm in college and received a MIP (minor in possession) citation. She went to court and was offered to take a class that would remove this citation from her record if she successfully completed the course and did not repeat this crime for the year...

03/26/2009 | Category » Criminal  State » OR  #15770
How can my daughter request a change of venue for criminal charges she is facing?

My daughter was arrested in SD. She is being charged with 3 counts of attempted murder. She was in a hotel room VERY depressed and was going to comitt suicide. A welfare ck was called in on her and they went to her door and she was holding a gun (she is a police officer) but i...

03/27/2009 | Category » Criminal  State » CO  #15787
How can someone get charges dropped for a crime they did not commit?

My Grandson worked in receiving at a sporting goods business, and one of his duties was to open boxes and put items on display. He needed a knife to open boxes of products, so he opened, and used, one of the knives he was unpacking. He did not take the knife for his own personal ...

03/27/2009 | Category » Criminal  State » CA  #15791
Is it legal to deny prisoner's in Florida the right to receive mail?

My son is incarcerated at Pasco City Detention Center in Land O'Lakes, Florida. As of March 30th they are not allowed to receive letters, only postcards. Is that legal? He has been there for 1 year today,and doesn't go to trial for over a month still. These letters and pictures a...

03/27/2009 | Category » Criminal  State » ME  #15792
If I use a dummy target with names on it is that considered a terroristic threat?

If I have a 'dummy' on my property with names on it that I use for target practice, does that mean it's a terroristic threat?

03/27/2009 | Category » Criminal  State » TX  #15794
What is a vagrancy offense involving moral turpitude?

03/30/2009 | Category » Criminal  State » TX  #15820
What is the penalty for misdemeanor larceney in North Carolina?

What is the penalty for misdemeanor larceney? ($185.00 and damages to property $200.00)

03/31/2009 | Category » Criminal  State » NC  #15825
What can I do about an employee who threatened me in front of others?

If an employee of a school district of which you are the general contractor makes his brags to various subcontractors that he plans to break you, is this a violation of any laws and if so what can he be charged for in a suit?

03/31/2009 | Category » Criminal  State » SC  #15830
Will the University find out that I was arrested for shoplifting and if so what can happen?

I was charged petty larceny yesterday. I was arrested because I want to steal two sunglasses in macy's and the total value was $125. I removed the security tag of the two glasses in the fitting room and just held them in my left hand. Is there any possibility to say that I did no...

04/02/2009 | Category » Criminal  State » NY  #15851
Could a Crime have been Committed

My ex Girl friend left me and my 4 month old little girl on a Friday. Saturday she told me she wanted to take the child but would not bring her back at a decent hour. I told her no, her parents then came over and only with permission to see the baby went into the house and kidna...

04/13/2009 | Category » Criminal  State » ALL  #15968
Am I legally required to testify against my adult daughter for hitting me?

I have been subpoenaed to testify for the prosecution against my adult daughter for hitting me. I do not want to do this and I will be out of state at the time of the trial. What can I do? My daughter was drunk and I just wanted her out of the house. I called the police and ...

04/15/2009 | Category » Criminal  State » WA  #16025
What are the requirements to be charged with depraved indifference?

My daughter died from peritonitis & gangrene, a complication a year and a half after a kidney transplant. She begged her husband to take her to the hospital. He refused and left her alone for several hours to suffer gangrene, and die later. Is this a case of depraved indiffer...

04/21/2009 | Category » Criminal  State » FL  #16077
As a police officer, can I have my firearm at home since my husband is a convicted felon?

I'm an officer in Texas. My husband has a felony conviction. Can I have my duty firearm at our residence?

04/21/2009 | Category » Criminal  State » TX  #16082
Was CPL 259J amended to grant early parole release to persons convicted of a class A Felony?

Was CPL 259J amended to grant early parole release to persons convicted of a class A Felony? In New York.

04/24/2009 | Category » Criminal  State » NY  #16114
Do I have a right through the courts to receive my daughters medical records for a civil case?

I was in the midst of a divorce while on active duty in the Army. My now ex-wife quit her job applied for loans in my name using a fake power of attorney. She then went to the state police in May 07 (five months after I filed for a divorce) and said I was an alcoholic and I touch...

04/27/2009 | Category » Criminal  State » NY  #16152
What is the penalty for a conviction of Public Indecency for the purpose of urination?

I want to know what the penalty is for a conviction of Public Indecency for the purpose of urination. I got a ticket for it and I just want to know if I will have to pay a fine or if it would leave me with a criminal record that would exclude me from practicing law. What is the w...

04/27/2009 | Category » Criminal  State » ALL  #16164
Is it legal for my son to be fined for possession of paraphernalia based on a witness report?

The police came to the door and stated someone saw my son discard something along a roadside. My son admitted so to the officer. The officer stated that it was a bong and issued him a citation for possession of drug paraphernnelia. It looks like it is a fine of up to $500. Is it ...

04/27/2009 | Category » Criminal  State » ALL  #16195
What if I believe I was defrauded of my inheritance?

A Grandmother passed away and left money for her granddaughter, who is of age to receive such a large amount of money. The granddaughter was recently told about it but never received the money and was told that someone forged her name to cash in on the gift and still never receiv...

04/27/2009 | Category » Criminal  State » FL  #16198
Is a Portable Breath Test valid if it was not shown to anyone

Is a Portable Breath Test valid if it was not shown to anyone, including me after I took it?

04/28/2009 | Category » Criminal  State » ALL  #16274
My ex husband and his girlfriend have stolen my identity

I am in the military and stationed in Texas . When I left Montana in May of 2006 I signed a Durable POA for my husband to take care of any expenses while I was there. He did not want to leave our 'retirement' home in MO. I bought a house in Texas as an 'investment' house. What I ...

04/28/2009 | Category » Criminal  State » ALL  #16281
Could I be charged with rape?

A 20 year male was spending the night with his on again off again girlfriend. They were sleeping in the same bed both in t-shirt and underwear. They have had sex in the past. She started rubbing up against him. He began touching her. She appeared to be in and out of sleep. She wo...

04/28/2009 | Category » Criminal  State » ALL  #16349
What are the grounds to have a restraining order removed?

If a plaintiff has a permanent restraining order in effect but contacts the defendant, can they get in trouble with the law or can the defendant use it against the plaintiff to have the restraining order dropped.

04/29/2009 | Category » Criminal  State » ALL  #16371
My ex wife's husband committed fraud using my name. What can I do?

My ex-wife's husband was involved in a civil action case in Georgia Federal Trade Commission vs "His Company" and in this suit it came out that he used my name as an alias to commit fraud. Do I have any legal recourse?

04/29/2009 | Category » Criminal  State » GA  #16372
How do I get a copy of the information from my felony conviction?

I requested court records or a statement from the court, and then an explanation as to the drug, amount, and means of distribution for which I was convicted. This was back in 1990-91 in the state of West Virginia. The case was tried in Wheeling (federal) court. How do I go about ...

04/29/2009 | Category » Criminal  State » WV  #16469
Can my juvenile record of DUI's have an affect on my new DUI as an adult?

I had two DUIs in the past. I was 17 and 19 years of age. I am now 27 and was charged with a 3rd DUI. It's been over seven years since my last DUI and I fall under the old clause. What's going to happen? Will this be like my first DUI? Can they bring up the one from when I was 17...

04/30/2009 | Category » Criminal  State » PA  #16479
How can I dispute the tow charges since was son was released with no fine?

My son was arrested in Washington State (near Everette, Snohomish County) for malicious mishchief (property damage under $50). My vehicle was towed and impounded. My son was given an unconditional release from the County Jail the very next day. My tow charge was $481 - the tow wa...

05/02/2009 | Category » Criminal  State » ID  #16520
Can I ask to review the evidence in my speeding ticket case?

I am representing myself for a speeding ticket and would like to request evidence such as any media documenting the event such as video (analog or digital) that shows the vehicle and speed. Also, radar calibration, officer training on radar and equipment used to document ...

05/04/2009 | Category » Criminal  State » ALL  #16533
What can I do if someone threatened to come from another state and harm me?

I have someone in Texas who has threatened to fly out to Arizona and cause me physical harm. Do I file charges in Arizona or Texas, and where do I file charges?

05/07/2009 | Category » Criminal  State » AZ  #16604
Where can I find a California Demand for Trail form1381?

I want to download the California Demand for Trail form1381. Am having trouble finding the form or getting access to it.

05/09/2009 | Category » Criminal  State » IN  #16615
Am I required to tell my spouse that I am divorcing that I have an STD?

Is it required for a spouse to announce they have an std to the unknowing spouse throughout a divorce proceeding prior to bifurcating the marriage and signing off on continuing to support the infected spouse with medical insurance? And could it be construed as 'fraud' if found ou...

05/09/2009 | Category » Criminal  State » CA  #16620
what is the definition of disturbing the peace in a public place?

I have been charged with three counts of different misdemeanors. I was at a rock concert and tried to get back into the concert hall after smoking a cigarette. I have been charged with interference (disobeying a lawful order), disturbing the peace and trespassing. My question ...

05/11/2009 | Category » Criminal  State » CO  #16643
What recourse do I have against the police for mistaken identity?

I was arrested when an officer entered my home, asked me my name, and said he knew me and had trouble with me before; which was a cover for his high position as a police officer. Anyway, the facts are, I have never been in any trouble with the law, he did not know me, and has not...

05/11/2009 | Category » Criminal  State » TX  #16644
What can happen if the police want to talk to me for threatening someone?

I told another contractor to stop taking my work from me or I will "f" him up. Now the police wants to talk to me. What can happen?

05/12/2009 | Category » Criminal  State » CO  #16652
Can a company sue someone who has been convicted of shoplifting but paid their fine?

Can a company sue someone who has been caught shop lifting 10 times for the amount of the merchandise they tried to shop lift even knowing they paid a fine in court and did community service time?

05/16/2009 | Category » Criminal  State » OK  #16689
What is the penalty for Contributing to the Delinquency of a Minor in California?

Specifically regarding section P272a1 Contributing to Delinquency of minor: What are the specifics of that section and the possible criminal consequences, jail time etc.? Specific details of section P272a1 regarding Contributing to Delinquency of Minor: What are the specific det...

05/17/2009 | Category » Criminal  State » CA  #16694
Is making threats over the internet illegal?

Is this threatening language reportable to the police and can the police act on this information? To which police department should it be reported? A daughter living in New York City posts the following on a popular social networking web site regarding her mother who resides in ...

05/26/2009 | Category » Criminal  State » CT  #16784
What is the difference between Larceny and Embezzlement?

My company has a criminal case against a former employee for embezzlement and forgery. On the court calendars it is showing some charges with embezzlement and then it shows some that are larceny by employee. What is the difference, and is one worse than the other?

06/03/2009 | Category » Criminal  State » NC  #16853
What is the mandatory sentence for growing 20 marijuana plants in Pennsylvania?

06/03/2009 | Category » Criminal  State » PA  #16861
Is Stealing Cancelled Checks and Distributing Them a Crime in California?

Is stealing someone's copies of personal canceled checks and distributing them to others without consent a crime or a civil matter in California? Any citation?

06/10/2009 | Category » Criminal  State » CA  #16922
Can I Waive My Right to A Remedy for Embezzlement of My Retirement Money?

My retirement was stolen from me by a person that forged my name. I have sent the company a notary letter stating this. The women that set up the retirement for me off a money waiver that I singed was based on money that was stole from my pay. There was a lawsuit that was filed a...

06/14/2009 | Category » Criminal  State » AL  #16969
Is it a Crime to Alter an Affidavit in Florida?

An altered affidavit of a warranty deed 10 days after sworn resulted in the tax sale of my property. Is it a crime to alter an affidavit?

06/17/2009 | Category » Criminal  State » FL  #17024
Do I Need to Report in Alabama for Sex Crime if Rights Restored in Florida?

Regarding federal law for Sex Offender Registration, I entered into a plea agreement October 1988, was released from a Florida prison July 1990, and received a Certificate of Restoration of Civil Rights, issued by the Office of Executive Clemency in Tallahassee, Florida. I have...

06/25/2009 | Category » Criminal  State » AL  #17186
What are Sex Offender Registration Laws in Tennessee?

Regarding Conv/Nolo Sex Offender Registration in Tennessee on or before January 1, 1990. Do they have it today?

06/30/2009 | Category » Criminal  State » TN  #17266
What Are the Consequences of Petty Larceny in New York?

I was arrested for taking a Golf hat at Bristol Harbor Golf Course in the town of South Bristol, Canandaigua, NY this past weekend. Petty Larsen is my charge.I have never been arrested. This was a stupid act on my part. I admitted this to the arresting officer. I'm scheduled to a...

07/20/2009 | Category » Criminal  State » NY  #17657
Is an Attempted Crime the Same as the Underlying Crime in Disqualifying Me for Employment?

I am getting a background and criminal check from the Ohio Bureau of Criminal Identification and Investigation to work as a cook in an elderly care facility and under senate bill 160 no one is eligible if they have been convicted of aggravated menacing. I have not been convicted ...

07/21/2009 | Category » Criminal  State » OH  #17697
When Do the Police Have to Tell You the Charges Against You?

district attorney claims i violated a restraining order and arrested me i asked what i did but all they would say is that we will have a plea bargin for you

01/29/2011 | Category » Criminal  State » CO  #24111
Can I Be in Trouble for Someone Else Selling Drugs on My Property?

If a customer is at my restaurant , and is arrested for selling illegal drugs on my property am I in legal trouble ?

02/08/2011 | Category » Criminal  State » FL  #24178
How Does the Federal Indictment Process Work?

arrested for trafficking a large amount posted bail , waiting to be indicted and the federal courts were going to pick up the case when will they do this and will they re-arrest and will there be another bond set ?

04/07/2011 | Category » Criminal  State » KY  #24586
What is the Penalty for Felony Welfare Fraud?

i am being charged with welfare fraud,(7200.00) if found guilty what is my punishment. I have never been in troubled with the law before. please help

04/28/2011 | Category » Criminal  State » TX  #24738
Can person who tried to deposit a counterfeit check be guilty of a crime?

how can someone makes a deposit for a company and the check was counterfiet ,and the preson that made the deposit name isn't on that business account be arrested when the owner sign the back of the check and ask him to make the deposit

04/29/2011 | Category » Criminal  State » MD  #24745
Who Does the Prosecutor Represent in a Criminal Case?

The People will not bring additional charges..taken from a plea agreement what constitutes the people

07/06/2011 | Category » Criminal  State » MI  #25145