Divorce Legal Questions & Answers

How do I obtain a new attorney since they other one quit once I ran out of money?

A contested divorce has depleted my assets. What direction could I take to get a worthy attorney? My former attorney resigned due to my not adequately paying him.

01/03/2007 | Category » Divorce  State » OH  #56
Can I reopen my divorce case if I signed the papers while in a psychiatric facility?

I signed my divorce papers while in a psychiatric facility without an attorney not knowing that it gave her everything we owned and her pension. Can I reopen in front of a judge to at least get some of my share?

01/03/2007 | Category » Divorce  State » IN  #63
Where do I need to file for divorce, the state I was married or where I live?

I was married in Cambridge, Maryland. Do I have to go to Cambridge, Maryland to get a divorce or can I file papers in Delaware or anywhere in Maryland.

01/03/2007 | Category » Divorce  State » DE  #65
How do I divorce my husband who was deported 10 years ago and I have not heard from since?

My husband left town, possibly the country (he was deported) about 10 years ago. How can I divorce him? He has never made an attempt to contact me.

01/03/2007 | Category » Divorce  State » CA  #68
I do not know where my husband is so how do I file for divorce?

01/03/2007 | Category » Divorce  State » OK  #70
Do I file for divorce in the state I was married or the state I live in?

I was married in SC in 1996 or 1997 and now live is WI. Which state do I have to file for divorce in?

01/03/2007 | Category » Divorce  State » WI  #74
Where no children are involved, what is the benefit of filing for divorce on grounds of adultry?

When there are no children involved, are there any benefits of filing for divorce on grounds of adultery?

01/03/2007 | Category » Divorce  State » VA  #80
If I do not agree on the divorce and do not sign the papers, can the divorce still be granted?

In the State of California if the respondent refuses to sign any of the divorce papers because they do not agree to the divorce, is the petitioner still able to have the divorce finalized in the court and dissolve the marriage? Where can I find more information on this specifical...

01/03/2007 | Category » Divorce  State » CA  #81
What is the definition of a contested divorce in New Mexico?

What is the definition of a contested divorce in New Mexico? If a spouse refuses to sign or otherwise respond to a request for divorce, what is the legal recourse?

01/03/2007 | Category » Divorce  State » NM  #83
Can I file for divorce myself?

I live in Illinois; I have been married for 25 years and would like a divorce. My husband has not worked for almost all of our married years. He told me he would not sign divorce papers. What do I have to do? Needless to say I can not afford a attorney because I have to pay all t...

01/03/2007 | Category » Divorce  State » IL  #85
Can my personal savings account be considered community property?

Can my savings account (that I started after my husband kicked me out) be considered "community property"?

01/03/2007 | Category » Divorce  State » OK  #87
If my soon to be ex-wife is supposedly pregnant will this keep me from filing for divorce?

If my soon to be ex-wife is supposedly pregnant will this keep me from filing for divorce? Also, is there anything that can be done to keep her from prolonging the divorce? She said that she will do everything she can to prolong and stretch out the divorce as along as possible. I...

01/03/2007 | Category » Divorce  State » CA  #90
How can I file an answer to a complaint for divorce without an attorney?

01/03/2007 | Category » Divorce  State » GA  #96
What if the wife is in other country such as Philippines and cannot be located anymore for a divorce

What if the wife is in other country such as Philippines and cannot be located anymore for a divorce?

01/03/2007 | Category » Divorce  State » CA  #100

Any party who (1) is a resident of Washington, or (2) is a member of the armed forces and is s...

How long do you have to be separated from your spouse to file for a divorce?

01/03/2007 | Category » Divorce  State » WA  #101
How do I divorce my husband who is in prison in Illinois?

I would like to divorce my husband with do it yourself forms. However, my husband is in a federal prison. He is not in Illinois. Do I need his signature? Can I do this without his consent?

01/03/2007 | Category » Divorce  State » IL  #106
If 6 months have passed after filing for divorce and you have not received an answer what happens?

If 6 months have passed, after filing for divorce, and you have not received an answer what can be done. I plan on getting re-married soon.

01/03/2007 | Category » Divorce  State » CA  #110
Is joint custody possible if parents live in different states?

Parents live in different States and want to have joint custody of children and for the children to live with both parents at different times of the year. Is joint custody possible in this situation?

01/05/2007 | Category » Divorce  State » AL  #156
Who is obligated to pay child support?

Man A has been married to Woman B for 3 months. Woman B had a child by another man 5 years before the marriage. Woman B owns the home where the couple live. The Father of the child does not pay child support. What will a divorce cost? Will Man A be obligated to pay child support?...

01/05/2007 | Category » Divorce  State » AL  #170
Where do I file for divorce?

Woman is a US Citizen and resident of Tennessee. Man A and Woman were married in England and live in England for 2 years. Man A is a citizen of England. The parties seperate and Woman moves to Tennessee and wants a divorce. Where may the divorce be obtained?

01/05/2007 | Category » Divorce  State » TN  #171
How does joint custody work when one spouse lives overseas and other is in military?

Spouse is in the US Air Force and Spouse is British. They reside in the United States. Spouse wants a divorce and Spouse B wants to return to England. There are 2 children, age 9 and 11. Spouse wants joint physical custody. Spouse is concerned about how this could work.

01/05/2007 | Category » Divorce  State » AL  #175
Where should divorce be filed if wife is in another country and husband is in US?

Wife is in England. Husband is in the US. Wife is British and her residence is in England. Wife and Husband have been seperated for 2 years and wife wants a divorce.

01/05/2007 | Category » Divorce  State » AL  #178

There is a presumption that a child born to a married woman is the child of the Husband. Howev...

My son and his wife have been seperated 6 months - she is now 4 months pregnant by a man she lives with. We live in North Carolina. Is my son considered the father of the child and listed as such on the birth certificate since they will still be married at the time of the birth?

01/05/2007 | Category » Divorce  State » AL  #179
Am I Legally Married if I think my Wife Used a Fake Name and Social When We Got Married?

If my wife knowingly gave a false social security number and I think even a false name, am I legally married since she left me 5 years ago and I have not heard from her since.

01/09/2007 | Category » Divorce  State » NE  #266
If you are married in this state do you need to be divorced in this state?

I need something to tell me about state law in Idaho. If you are married in this state do you need to be divorced in this state, or if you move to a different state can you divorce in that state?

01/09/2007 | Category » Divorce  State » ID  #285
How long must you be separated in the state of West Virginia before a divorce can be granted?

01/12/2007 | Category » Divorce  State » WV  #370
Where do you file for divorce when once spouse is in anther country?

My daughter (a U.S. citizen by birth) got married in July with a Pakistani. It was an arranged marriage because we thought the man was well educated, but it turned out to be a disaster. He married my daughter only to get a green card. We filed a petition for divorce, but it ha...

01/12/2007 | Category » Divorce  State » TX  #374
How do I drop my lawsuit in a divorce action?

01/12/2007 | Category » Divorce  State » NV  #384
What are the divorce laws in the state of North Carolina?

02/01/2007 | Category » Divorce  State » NC  #496
If I am in the military do I get a divorce in the state I am a resident or where I am living?

I am an active duty member of the military, stationed in New York. My wife and I are both residents of Alaska. We want to get a dissolution, and New York State does not offer them. Can we get a dissolution in Alaska even if I am stationed in New York?

02/01/2007 | Category » Divorce  State » AK  #900
What happens if my ex does not show up for divorce hearing?

If I have filed for a divorce, and the other party didn’t go to the deposition, because we have property, bills that need to be divided. Can the judge grant my divorce and split the property and bills?

02/01/2007 | Category » Divorce  State » FL  #906
How do I answer a summons for a no fault divorce?

I was served with a summons, regarding a Michigan “no-fault” divorce. How do I counterclaim and answer the no-fault statement in the summons?

02/01/2007 | Category » Divorce  State » MI  #999
Where do you file for divorce if you have moved from the state you were married in?

If you were married and lived in Louisiana but now reside in Arkansas after a long separation, can you file in either state or do you have to file ( divorce) in the same state you were married.

02/01/2007 | Category » Divorce  State » AR  #1193
How do I file for divorce if my husband and I live in different states?

We have been separated for 2 years and 3 months. I live in Texas and he lives in Idaho, with his parents. Is there anything different that I need to do, since he lives in another state. We were married by a preacher but did not file a marriage license. We have lived as husban...

02/01/2007 | Category » Divorce  State » TX  #1221
How Do I Divorce My Husband I Have Not Seen or Heard From in Three Years?

I moved to New York from North Carolina about a year ago. My husband left me about three years ago while we lived in North Carolina. He moved out of state. I have not been able to locate him in three years. I want to get a divorce from him. What are my options and how do I go ...

02/01/2007 | Category » Divorce  State » NY  #1295
How do I get my divorce if my wife will not sign unless I confess to adultry?

I am a man who filed for divorce May 2006. My wife contested the divorce and retained a lawyer. Due to child support I am unable to retain a lawyer. I have complied with all of her wishes. She is keeping all of the marital property and receiving 75 percent of my pay check each mo...

02/01/2007 | Category » Divorce  State » TN  #1308
Do we have to live under separate roofs during hte 60 day waiting period for a divorce?

I read on a legal website that there is a 60 day waiting period in Kansas after filing for divorce before it can be decreed. Do we have to live under seperate roofs and/or separate bedrooms during this time period?

02/01/2007 | Category » Divorce  State » KS  #1322
How do I use the Newspaper to divorce my husband who I have not heard from in five years?

I have heard there is a way to get a divorce using the newspaper if you don't know where your husband is located. My husband abandoned us more than five years ago. Can you please provide me with insight into this process?

02/01/2007 | Category » Divorce  State » TX  #1364
How is a marriage considered "irretrievably broken?"

02/01/2007 | Category » Divorce  State » GA  #1373
What can I do if I just found out my husband is still married while we are married?

I found out my husband is still married to his second wife and now he has just been caught cheating on my marriage of 5 years. If he is a bigamist, what do I do next?

02/01/2007 | Category » Divorce  State » OH  #1402
How do I divorce my wife if I can not find her?

I can not find my wife to serve her divorce papers. Is there a time limitation in PA so that the divorce can be granted if I can't find her?

02/02/2007 | Category » Divorce  State » PA  #416
What happens if a spouse refuses to sign divorce papers?

02/02/2007 | Category » Divorce  State » MI  #417
What are my options if my wife has abandoned me and our children?

My wife moved out on me and I still have a 16 year old with me. I also have 2 more older ones at home that are 21 and 18 who depend on me. I get no help from her. She has her own company. Is that abandonment and what should I do?

02/02/2007 | Category » Divorce  State » FL  #418
In order to file for divorce do we have to be physically living apart, in separate residences?

In order to file for divorce do the parties have to be physically living apart, in separate residences?

02/02/2007 | Category » Divorce  State » TX  #422
What State Do I File For Divorce In?

I got married about 10 years ago. My spouse is currently in jail and has been there for the past 7 years. We are not together any longer and I really want to divorce him. We got married in New York and I currently live in New Jersey. My spouse is in another state and I don't know...

02/08/2007 | Category » Divorce  State » NJ  #495
Where does my daughter file for divorce if she has moved several times since becoming married?

My daughter was born and raised in WV, married approximately a year ago in WV, and moved to TX about 2 months ago. She left her husband because of abuse and she is now in TN. She has only been here for 2 weeks. Where does she file for divorce?

02/08/2007 | Category » Divorce  State » TN  #505
If my wife kicks me out of the house can she say that I abandoned her?

If, upon asking my wife for divorce, she gets mad and kicks me out of the house, and I do pack up and live elsewhere, can she later say I abandoned her? Would I need some kind of written statement from her (not likely to be obtained, of course) that she wants me out of the house?

02/08/2007 | Category » Divorce  State » VA  #521
Is it legal to get a divorce in a different state than you were married in?

02/08/2007 | Category » Divorce  State » TX  #524
Am I allowed to see other people if I am legally separated?

I am legally separated. Am I allowed to see other people before the divorce is final?

02/08/2007 | Category » Divorce  State » NC  #529
What divorce form is needed in Texas when you can not locate your spouse?

If a person was living in Texas when spouse deserted him/her, and the whereabouts of the spouse who deserted is not known, will Texas uncontested divorce forms suffice? How long does the process take? There are no cash assets, no car, no home, etc.

02/08/2007 | Category » Divorce  State » TX  #536
How do I file a Motion to Set Aside An Order?

I did not file an objection in time, so I lost my case. It was on arrearage on child support. I do not owe money so I would like to go in front of a judge. I was told I could file a Motion to Set Aside. Do you know what form it is? The only one I see is Motion to Set Aside Arrest.

02/08/2007 | Category » Divorce  State » OR  #542
How do I divorce my husband if we have no kids and no property but he will not sign papers?

My husband and I got married November of 1999, and we have been separated since 2003. We have no children or property. I desperately want to be divorced. What if he won't sign the papers?

02/08/2007 | Category » Divorce  State » LA  #545
What is it called when a divorce attorney gets a psychological evaluation of one of the parties?

02/09/2007 | Category » Divorce  State » OR  #597
Does Georgia have any laws pertaining to Marital Interference or Alienation of Affection?

Does Georgia have any laws pertaining to Marital Interference or Alienation of Affection that may be used in either divorce proceedings or in civil litigation?

02/09/2007 | Category » Divorce  State » GA  #601
Is a couple who have not had relations in two years still required to separate before divorcing?

If there has not been any sexual intercourse for more then two years, but both parties still live under same roof but different bedrooms, does the couple still have to "separate" for 6 months to have a divorce granted?

02/09/2007 | Category » Divorce  State » LA  #632
In New Jersey, how long does a couple have to be separated before a no fault divorce can be entered?

In New Jersey, how long does a couple have to be separated before a no fault divorce can be entered and how long does a couple need to be married for the spouse to be entitled to any part of my retirement fund?

02/09/2007 | Category » Divorce  State » NJ  #636
What are my rights regarding my children and my home if my husband left us for another woman?

Last summer my husband and an ex-girlfriend took off together for a few months. I filed for divorce; however he replied with an attorney and wants custody of our children and wants me to move out of our home. What can I do?

02/12/2007 | Category » Divorce  State » CA  #669
How do I reinstate my forms for divorce?

I would like to reinstate my forms for divorce. What form do I need for Reinstatement?

02/13/2007 | Category » Divorce  State » AZ  #681
What Are The Residency Requirements For Filing For A Divorce?

I was living in California and filed for divorce in October 2006. I was going to serve my husband, but I ended up leaving California before doing so. I am living in Indiana now. Additionally, my husband served me in September of 2006. Can I complete the divorce while living in...

02/13/2007 | Category » Divorce  State » CA  #692
If we never had a marriage license was our marriage legal?

We have been separated for 2 years and 3 months. I live in Texas and he lives in Idaho, with his parents. Is there anything different that I need to do, since he lives in another state. We were married by a preacher but did not file a marriage license. We have lived as husb...

02/16/2007 | Category » Divorce  State » TX  #716
How long does someone have to wait after a divorce to remarry?

How long does one have to wait after a divorcing someone (according Louisiana law), to remarry?

02/16/2007 | Category » Divorce  State » LA  #721
Is there a law regarding the timely filing or lack of filing of financial affidavits in divorce?

My spouse and I signed a consent final judgment of dissolution 9/19/99. I signed because he threatened to sell my home. No petition or financial affidavit was filed prior to this nor had it been until 4/13/06. We have not lived together but went to trial in order to establish tha...

02/16/2007 | Category » Divorce  State » FL  #724
What are my rights on divorce for spouse support after being married 19 years?

What are my rights on divorce for spouse support after being married 19 years? Children are grown.

02/16/2007 | Category » Divorce  State » TX  #741
If my husband and I do not live together are we considered legally separated?

I have been married to my spouse for three years but we separated (he left) four months after we married. We have two children and I am carrying our third at this time. Are we considerred legally separated since we have not lived together in almost three years? Also, he has ne...

03/01/2007 | Category » Divorce  State » NY  #762
How long do I have to live in a state before I can file a divorce in Alabama?

03/15/2007 | Category » Divorce  State » AL  #1456
Can we file the divorce ourselved even if there is a child involved?

We have a minor child. We are in agreement as to a property settlement and everything else. What forms do we need to file for divorce ourselves?

03/16/2007 | Category » Divorce  State » TX  #1611
Do I Have To Legally Separate From My Husband Before Filing For Divorce?

Can I live apart from my spouse for 6 months (no children or property) then file for divorce, or do I need a separation agreement to start the 6 month time frame?

03/16/2007 | Category » Divorce  State » VA  #1613
If my spouse currently resides in New York and he files for a divorce is there a waiting period?

If my spouse currently resides in New York and he files for a divorce is there a waiting period on filing and will this cause me to end up in court in New York?

03/21/2007 | Category » Divorce  State » TX  #2020
How long after a divorce can one of the parties get married?

How long after a divorce can one of the parties get married? Is there a waiting period of can we get married the next day?

03/26/2007 | Category » Divorce  State » NC  #2142
Is adultry a grounds for divorce?

Can you use adultry in a divorce? My husband has been seeing another woman and we've been married for 20 years.

03/26/2007 | Category » Divorce  State » MO  #874
What is ireconcilable differences chapter 5:13 when divorcing?

I asked my husband to apply for the divorce because I have no money. He applied for the divorce under ireconcilable differences chapter 5:13 what does this mean? I was the innocent one in all this he was the one committing adultry and abandoned us.

03/26/2007 | Category » Divorce  State » ALL  #1964
Can my wife legally force my to sell the house we lived in and split the money?

My ex-wife and I purchased a house 20 years ago before becoming legally married. We lived together for 10 years before getting married. We were married for 3 years and my wife told me she wanted a divorce and asked me to leave. I moved out and rented a apartment. Six months later...

03/26/2007 | Category » Divorce  State » TX  #2189
Does Mississippi recognize alimony if your married to a member of the MS Band of Choctaw Indians?

Does Mississippi recognize alimony if your married to a member of the MS Band of Choctaw Indians? If so, do I need to file thru Tribal Court?

03/27/2007 | Category » Divorce  State » MS  #2212
Does my stepdad have any rights over me since he has been married to my mother for 6 years?

Does my stepdad have any rights over me since he has been married to my mother for 6 years almost 7 in July?

03/27/2007 | Category » Divorce  State » NC  #2214
Where is the proper location to file for a divorce, the state you live in or where you were married?

My husband lives in Florida and I live in Georgia. We were married in Georgia and seperated 4 years ago. He is filing for the divorce in the State of Florida. Does he need a wavier of jurisdiction since I reside in the state of Georgia.

03/30/2007 | Category » Divorce  State » FL  #2360
Can adultery be brought into a divorce trial?

Can adultery be brought into a divorce trial, or criminal trial, to be used by the procescution for a convicition or means to martial dividing of property in the state of Colorado?

03/30/2007 | Category » Divorce  State » CO  #2369
Does 13 years of separation mean that you are legally divorced?

If you have been apart for 13 years are you legally divorced?

03/30/2007 | Category » Divorce  State » VA  #2391
Can I file for a divorce in the state I live in if my husband lives in another state?

I still live in Florida but my husband moved to Wisconsin 8 months ago. We have agreed on a no fault divorce. Can I file in Florida and does he need to come down here?

03/31/2007 | Category » Divorce  State » FL  #2397
How do I have issues in my divorce revised if I now live in a different state?

I wanted to know how to go about changing issue's that were put in my divorce papers, how long do I have to live in Kentucky to be able to take it to court for changing issue's in my divorce that has already been finalized?

03/31/2007 | Category » Divorce  State » KY  #2413
Is it okay to file for divorce while living in the same house?

My aunt wants to divorce her husband living in California. They have agreed on irreconcilable differences. Is it okay to file for divorce even if they still live together in the same house waiting for the filing of divorce?

03/31/2007 | Category » Divorce  State » ALL  #2416
Does California have no fault divorces?

Can a person file a divorce with ageement of both parties on grounds of "irreconcillable differences" married for more than 10 years before filing the petition?

04/01/2007 | Category » Divorce  State » CA  #2419
What are pertaining documents that needs to be shown during in filing for divorce?

04/01/2007 | Category » Divorce  State » ALL  #2420
What is needed for the publication for my divorce?

What will a publication need to include when I have filed for Divorce but I'm unable to locate my spouse. I've tried the internet and people pc and also phone book. I was told I need to do a publication but I dont know what that intails.

04/02/2007 | Category » Divorce  State » CO  #2513

If there exists grounds for a divorce, or if a party has been deserted by the other spouse fo...

When are you considered legally separated and legally divorced?

04/03/2007 | Category » Divorce  State » NV  #2580
How can I collect money awarded to me in the divorce?

My wife and I divorced in Agust of 2001. We had a simple quick divorce in Lafayette County. As part of the divorce she was to keep everything. All I was promised was $10,000.00. I have not gone after it before because whe did not have it. Now her situation has changed. How can I ...

04/04/2007 | Category » Divorce  State » MS  #2638

If your attorney did not move for a change of venue at the trial of this matter, we see no bas...

My husband filed for divorce. I went to our reservation to respond. I live in California and all of this has caused me to lose my job and now I live with my mother. My question is, can I file for a change of venue to California so that I can appeal the decision that was made at...

04/05/2007 | Category » Divorce  State » AZ  #2684
Can your spouse refuse to grant your request for divorce?

Can your spouse refuse to grant your request for divorce because she does not want the marriage to be over?

04/05/2007 | Category » Divorce  State » MD  #2692
How do I see to it that my ex spouse abides by terms in divorce decree?

How do I see that my former spouse abides by all agreed to in Divorce decree? Specifically, Refinancing vehicle agreed to be done in 30 days. It has been 3 years.

04/06/2007 | Category » Divorce  State » MO  #2718
What is needed to file for a divorce if I have not lived with my wife in over a year?

My wife and I have not co-habitated for a year. What documentation will I need to provide and approximately how after we file for divorce will the divorce be granted? We have no contested issues and one minor child.

04/06/2007 | Category » Divorce  State » MD  #2735
If I am in the middle of a divorce can my spouse take out loans in my name?

While pending a divorce can my spouse take out any loans or do anythng with your name. ETC 2nd mortgage on house, etc.

04/07/2007 | Category » Divorce  State » FL  #2744
How can I enforce an order for support from my divorce?

My husband and I had business together an he abandoned me taking all our cash and assets in June 2002. It has taking me this long to get alimony and now he's trying to get it thrown out of court because he has been living in Daytona Beach, FL. He says he has nothing. I have not r...

04/08/2007 | Category » Divorce  State » DE  #2770
Does my husband hold any interest in the home I owned before we married?

I owned my home before I was married. I was married 10 years and my husbund left me. Is he entitled to my house?

04/08/2007 | Category » Divorce  State » IA  #2788
What will happen when I go to my divorce hearing without an attorney?

My husband filed for divorce. I suffer from depression, anx, I get disable ssi and ss. About $530.00 month, I can't afford a lawyer. I had one but couldn't afford to keep him. I go to court May 9, alone. I don't know what to tell the judge. I don't know what questions to ask?

04/08/2007 | Category » Divorce  State » IA  #2791
What do I do if I just found out that my husband was never divorced from first wife?

I currently found out that my husband for the past 14 months has just filed for absolute divorce from his first wife. What does that entail? What am I suppose to do? Are him and I legally married, though we were married in another state? Would I have to divorce or legally separa...

04/09/2007 | Category » Divorce  State » MD  #2805
I am trying to find out how to have a divorce vacated and if possible?

04/09/2007 | Category » Divorce  State » NY  #2819
Which state do I file for divorce in since I am in the Navy?

I currently am living in Co, I am a resident of MS, but I was married in TN. I got a car that we are both on the registration, but I am the only one on the loan. She has committed adultry and is living with the man the did this with. She wants the car, and wants me to pay for it,...

04/09/2007 | Category » Divorce  State » CO  #2840
Where can I find form asking court to reinstate dismissed divorce case?

I need petition form asking court to reinstate dismissed divorce case. Respondent hasn't provided info ordered (I missed court date).

04/10/2007 | Category » Divorce  State » TX  #2859
Do both parties have to sign for a divoce in North Carolina?

04/10/2007 | Category » Divorce  State » NC  #2863
Is adultery or drug abuse, grounds for a divorce, in the state of Missouri?

04/10/2007 | Category » Divorce  State » MO  #2906
What are the special provisions for compliance with divorce when the husband is incarcerated?

What are the special provisions for compliance when the wife's husband is incarcerated? Parties have agreed to no-fault, and children not an issue.

04/11/2007 | Category » Divorce  State » VA  #2939
What is needed to file a divorce if we have not lived together for two years?

I have not lived with my husband for two years we have one child together which lives with me. I want to get a divorce, what forms would I need to get that I could afford?

04/11/2007 | Category » Divorce  State » TN  #2946
How can I force my husband into signing divorce papers?

After going through court ordered mediation and several court dates, the other party did not show up to the last court date and refuses to sign divorce papers. His attorney kept him from getting in trouble for this somehow. I would like to know how and also what can be done to ...

04/12/2007 | Category » Divorce  State » NV  #3031
Can I file for divorce without his/her signature if we are in seperate countries? - Divorce

My wife lives in Canada. She has agreed to an uncontested divorce. She wants me to do all the work. Can I file for a divorce without her signature?

04/15/2007 | Category » Divorce  State » NJ  #3103
If I am legally separated can I force my husband into signing the divorce papers?

I was married for less than 1 year, and there are no kids involved. If you file for a divorce, can your spouse prevent the divorce from happening by not signing the papers? The legal separation papers are already in place.

04/16/2007 | Category » Divorce  State » VA  #3128
Where do I get divorced if I was married in Hong Kong?

I am a Filipino citizen but my parents are U.S. citizens who live in California, I live in Hong Kong. I got married in Hong Kong on 1994 and the same year when I visited my parents we got married in Las Vegas as well. I filed divorce in Hong Kong and the final decree was granted...

04/17/2007 | Category » Divorce  State » CA  #3133
If my son wants to file for divorce and custody of his son where should he file?

My son lives in Louisiana and his estranged wife lives in California. They got married in Nevada. They also have a son that lives in California, but right now his other grandmother has temporary guardianship in a different county from that in which his mother lives. My questio...

04/20/2007 | Category » Divorce  State » CA  #3226
Can my spouse dispose of my personal possessions while involved in a divorce?

With regard to community and seperate property, can a spouse who has possession of my seperate property and the community property dispose of or sell items while in the process of going through a divorce. They indicated it was for "living expenses", but all rent, utilities, car ...

04/20/2007 | Category » Divorce  State » CA  #3228
Do I need an attorney for an uncontested divorce?

If I have all the correct forms do I need to retain a lawyer to file for an uncontested divorce in Kentucky? Where would I file? In what court?

04/21/2007 | Category » Divorce  State » KY  #3252
How long does my boyfriend have to be divorced before we can get married?

I want to get married however my husband to be has not had his property settelment issues resolved. It seams to be taking forever. Must we wait until this is over before we get married? They only had the family house together, his ex moved out two years ago and purchased a home w...

04/23/2007 | Category » Divorce  State » LA  #3267
Can my husband legally remove me from the house if we are divorcing and it is in his parents name?

I am married, my husband and I have recently been arguing and have decided to end our marraige. I have two minor boys, ages 8 and 3. My husband is living in Atlanta GA where he works with his brother. He is threating to evict me and my kids out of our home we share together which...

05/02/2007 | Category » Divorce  State » GA  #3578
What can I do to prevent my wife from kicking me out if I am the only person paying bills?

If I am the only means of paying for a house, and I recieve mail at the residence, can I legally be kicked out? I am not sure if my name is on the house note. But I have 3 kids, and my wife doesn't work at all. My mother in law lives with us, as well as my brother in law. I do no...

05/03/2007 | Category » Divorce  State » MI  #3668
Can I request that my wife return the wedding ring once we are divorced?

I have only been married for 2 years. My wife has filed for a divorce and I wanted my engagement ring back, since I payed $8000 for it.

05/03/2007 | Category » Divorce  State » MI  #3669
What are my children and I entitled to if I divorce my husband after he has cheated?

I am wanting to divorce my husband, but am afraid of the outcome for my children financially. I havent worked for most of our 7 yr marriage, and want to stay in our current home. I would like child support and think I deserve spousal support to get some education considering his ...

05/06/2007 | Category » Divorce  State » FL  #3933

Pleadings can be amended with the court’s permission. You might consider filing a mo...

Can I contest my divorce even though I have signed the papers. I am the respondent. The papers were filed on 3/30/07 Do I have thirty to sixty days to contest or no options at all?

05/07/2007 | Category » Divorce  State » AZ  #4001
Can I get a divorce without my spouse's signature?

I am filing for a divorce but my spouse will not sign the papers. Can I still get a divorce without his signature?

05/08/2007 | Category » Divorce  State » MS  #4155
What is marital property?

My brother is in the middle of a divorce. He has no children. The house is split 50/50 even though he paid the mortgage. Wife had a restraining order to throw him out of the house. Now wife wants him to pay the gas, electricity, and water bill for the 5 months that he was not liv...

05/08/2007 | Category » Divorce  State » NY  #4267
How would my friend who is incarcerated divorce her husband who is also incarcerated?

I have a friend in the Texas womens prison system and her husband is also incarcerated. She wants a divorce asap, but has no money but has heard she could get one through the prison system, but has noway of finding out how? Can you give assistance?

05/08/2007 | Category » Divorce  State » TX  #4275

A judgment or decree in a divorce case may be modified or vacated for sufficient cause. In th...

I was divorced on 1/7/1987. At that time my husband was in the Air Force. The divorce decree states that I may not able collect his retirement. Can this be changed by a judge since he was not retired at the time of the divorce?

05/09/2007 | Category » Divorce  State » KY  #4311
How can a same Sex Affair effect my Marriage?

If a married woman is having sex with another woman while cohabitating with her husband who doesn't know and walks in on them, is it grounds for divorce and what can he do?

05/09/2007 | Category » Divorce  State » WV  #4356
Is it required for couples in divorce to attend marriage counseling?

Do couples who are divorcing have to attend marriage counseling?

05/12/2007 | Category » Divorce  State » OK  #4564
If I have been married only eight months, would I be required to pay alimony?

I am filing for a divorce 8 months after marriage for reasons of documented domestic violence. I need to purchase a car ASAP but I am concerned about him having any legal rights to my new vehicle. I am also concerned about him seeking alimony since I just got a great new job and ...

05/13/2007 | Category » Divorce  State » NY  #4602
Can I serve divorce papers by publishing it in the newspaper?

I have been trying to serve my husband with divorce papers since December. He won't tell me where he lives or works. He is still using our old mail address for all correspondence. How can I serve him and get on with my life? At present he is stalking me, showing up in the mid...

05/13/2007 | Category » Divorce  State » CA  #4612
Is it true that you can sue the woman who has broken up your marriage?

Is it true that you can sue the woman who has broken up your marriage (i.e. husbands mistress)? Also, how long can I contest the divorce?

05/13/2007 | Category » Divorce  State » TX  #4615
My husband moved back in after I signed divorce papers so are we still married? - Divorce

I signed my divorce papers last year in march 2006 but my ex-husband moved back in the same house with me. Are we still legally divorced, and can he be made to pay the back child support?

05/13/2007 | Category » Divorce  State » AL  #4637
Is the length of my marriage going to be a factor in deciding who gets what property?

I've been married less than a year with our one year anniversary approaching in a few weeks. She came into the marriage with only a vehicle and some furniture. I owned several vehicles prior to the marriage, there is no real estate or biological children involved and no assets ha...

05/14/2007 | Category » Divorce  State » NC  #4693
Will a judge grant a divorce if the woman is pregnant?

When I was married to my first husband of 18 years, we started having problems with our marriage. I had an affair and during that affair I got pregnant with my daughter who is now 12 years old. My first husband and I divorced when I was 6 months pregnant. One month before I had m...

05/15/2007 | Category » Divorce  State » OH  #4771
What are my options for my marital home now that I am divorcing and in bankruptcy?

I now live in Virginia and left an abusive husband in Pennsylvania where we have a home. My name is on the mortgage but not on the deed. The house was refinanced and when I signed I did not know I was not on the deed. We have been apart 4 years and I recently filed Chapter 13 Ban...

05/15/2007 | Category » Divorce  State » VA  #4880
Will I need an attorney to fight my husband for custody of our children since he filed for divorce?

I tried to file for divorce and request joint custody of my 2 kids. My husband beat me to filing for divorce. Will I need an attorney to fight for custody or will a judge make this decision for me? By the way my living arrangement and other things are better than my husbands.

05/17/2007 | Category » Divorce  State » TX  #5079
Can my soon to be ex wife take half of my pay check before we go to court?

Can my soon to be ex wife take half of my pay check before we go to court for the final divorce?

05/18/2007 | Category » Divorce  State » TX  #5197
Can I have my marriage annulled?

I was married June of 2006. I was wondering if I will be able to have the marriage annulled even though I added his last name to my maiden name.We have been together for 12 years and now that we are married it is not working out. Should I look into separation or annullment?

05/18/2007 | Category » Divorce  State » CA  #5200
Can you tell me the main reasons to file for a divorce in New York?

Can you tell me the main reasons to file for a divorce?

05/19/2007 | Category » Divorce  State » NY  #5294
What is the easiest way for my to divorce my husband if we have been separated 7 years with no kids?

My husband and I have been separated for about seven years. We have no kids or anything to split between the two of us. What is the quickest way to obtain a divorce that will be easy on my pockets?

05/19/2007 | Category » Divorce  State » FL  #5343
Can I divorce my husband from another state if we are in different states?

I left my husband in AZ. We lived there for 7yrs. we have one son who is 5yrs. I came to NY, with my son to get away from him. He knows where I am and our son is with me. He took us to the airport and has sent us mail, boxes with our clothes and toys for our son. How do I get a d...

05/21/2007 | Category » Divorce  State » ALL  #5454
Is I divorce my husband how would our assets be divided?

I plan on filing for divorce from my husband of 21 yrs. We have a 20 yr old daughter. We own a home. He thinks I committed adultery. We are basically just living together and that's it. Who would get what?

05/23/2007 | Category » Divorce  State » SC  #5711
If the wife files for divorce can the husband ask her to leave the residence?

If the wife files for divorce can the husband ask her to leave the residence? There are no children. The wife works, the husband is retired and disabled. There are no children involved. The husband pays all the bills, the wife refuses to pay any expenses.

05/24/2007 | Category » Divorce  State » FL  #5876
Is my financial information really needed for an uncontested divorce?

My soon to be ex-huband is trying to do divorce paperwork online. He is asking me for my financial information. Is my financial information really needed for an uncontested divorce? We have been separated for about 6 or 7 years, custody and support has already been establishe...

05/24/2007 | Category » Divorce  State » NY  #5912
Can my Divorce still be Finalized if my spouse does not sign the papers?

What happens when one spouse refuses to sign the divorce papers? Can my divorce still be finalized if I sign and file it? And if so How long before it finalizes?

05/26/2007 | Category » Divorce  State » AL  #5964
Can a spouse be served divorce papers in the state of Maryland when you are filing from Alabama?

05/26/2007 | Category » Divorce  State » AL  #5965
I believe I may be married to two people at the same time without knowing

I found out recently that I am still married to who I thought was my ex. I've been married again for 71/2 years. What laws have I broken, and how do I correct this? My current spouse and I are separated and I have no idea where my "ex" spouse is.

05/26/2007 | Category » Divorce  State » AL  #5966

We are aware of no statutory number of times that an attempt to serve process must be made bef...

How many times does a process server attempt to serve divorce information before it will go to publication in New Jersey?

06/01/2007 | Category » Divorce  State » NJ  #6094
Is my husband still required to pay half of his retirement to his ex wife even though she remarried?

My fiance' has been divorced for approximately 11 years. He is retired army and receives his retirement monthly. His ex-wife receives half of his retirement for what was considered property during the marriage of 16 years. We are questioning weather we could have this reviewed...

06/01/2007 | Category » Divorce  State » NE  #6100
Is there a waiting period after I sign my divorce papers before I can remarry?

Once the divorce papers are served and signed by both parties is there a waiting period before being able to re-marry? Is it true that six months have to go or the marriage is not considered a valid marriage?

06/05/2007 | Category » Divorce  State » CA  #6180
Will my husband committing adultry have any impact on the custody case?

If a spouse has committed adultery, can this be brought up during the proceedings and is it relevant since KY is a no fault state? Also, will adultery, even if ended by the spouse who committed the adultery, have an impact on child custody?

06/10/2007 | Category » Divorce  State » KY  #6299
Am I still entitled to anything in the divorce if I had an affair?

I am a homemaker and have ben married for 25 yrs. I had an affair and my husband knows. Am I not entiitled to anything because of the affai?.

06/14/2007 | Category » Divorce  State » VA  #6449
Is Mississippi code based on Common Law or Community Property?

Is Mississippi code based on Common Law or Community Property? In Mississippi if a person is sole owner of a homestead from a previous marriage and enters into a new marriage with said property and lives with the new spouse on said property does he/she retain sole ownership accor...

06/15/2007 | Category » Divorce  State » OR  #6467
Can you be considered divorced if you are living in a different house for about 1 year?

Can someone be considered divorce if you are living in a different house for about 1 year in the state of New Jersey? How does the divorce work in this state?

06/21/2007 | Category » Divorce  State » NJ  #6571
Does my wife have any rights to stock I bought before we married?

While living in California, I purchased some stocks for myself that are in a retirement account. We now live in Kentucky and after 7 years of marriage she wants a divorce. Does she have any rights to these stocks?

06/24/2007 | Category » Divorce  State » KY  #6648
Do you have to wait until the divorce is final to remarry?

if a person file a sepration agreement from their spouse, are they allowed to get married or do they have to wait unitl the divorce is final

06/25/2007 | Category » Divorce  State » NC  #6663

Basically, it is simply a motion for an order granting plaintiff attorney’s fees.

What is the legal term when you want to file a motion to ask for your ex-husband to pay for your legal fees?

07/08/2007 | Category » Divorce  State » CA  #6998
What is the residency requirement in Washington state to file for a divorce?

How do I become a legal resident of WA? Is there a 6 month period before I can file? What do I need to do during that 6 months?

09/26/2007 | Category » Divorce  State » WA  #9068
Do you have to have a mediator for divorce if you both spouses agree upon everything?

10/05/2007 | Category » Divorce  State » IN  #9709
What is the legal definition of abandonment in a marriage?

If your spouse moves out, signs a lease at an apartment. and gets his own checking account without your knowledge, is that grounds for abandonment? Does this fall into marital fault? He left behind a wife and three boys 6 and under. If so what do I need to be doing as the wife t...

10/06/2007 | Category » Divorce  State » SC  #9766

Usually each spouse has as much legal right to be in the home as the other, until a court orde...

My husband and I have decided to divorce real recently. I am currently living in the house until we both see lawyers. He has came over while I am gone that are my property. Is it illegal to change the locks on the door since he has willing left. I don't mind him taking some of hi...

10/07/2007 | Category » Divorce  State » IL  #9825

If you sign a waiver of citation, you are giving up your right to be served the divorce papers...

My spouse sent me the petition of divorce and the waiver of citation, there are no children involved. If I sign the waiver of citation does that mean that I am giving up my rights and is my spouse able to come back and ask for certain things in the divorce without my knowledge.

10/07/2007 | Category » Divorce  State » TX  #9827
Which summons would I use for a divorce or anotification of service when one party has been missing?

Which summons would I use for a divorce or anotification of service when one party has been missing for the last 8 years?

10/17/2007 | Category » Divorce  State » NV  #10443
After thirty years of marriage, what am I entitled to since my husband cheated?

After 30 years of marriage, I found out that he has been having an affair for the last 6 years. I told him to leave and within 2 hours he was living in her house in another city. We have one minor child at home and he just informed me that all the money is gone, after spending ...

10/18/2007 | Category » Divorce  State » CA  #10490
Rights to Husband's Pension after Divorce

If my husband and I get divorced, do I have a right to his pension? Can half of his pension be drawn out as a settlement? We have been married 23 years. My Husband has two pensions plans, one from a position he held for 16 years and his current position which he has held for the ...

10/20/2007 | Category » Divorce  State » OH  #10626
Is it Legal for a Judge to Reserve the Right to ask for Spousal Support at a Later Time

I did not check the box for spousal support at the time of my divorce because my ex-husband was unemployed. The judge reserved my right to ask for spousal support at a later time because it was a long standing marriage of 28 years. Now my ex-husbands attorney is questioning whe...

10/24/2007 | Category » Divorce  State » CA  #10833
How does my mother get a divorce from a husband that remarried without divorcing her?

My mom married a man in 1996 that left her that same year who is from Alabama. He remarried not even 2 years later without getting a divorce from my mother. My mother wants a divorce, but it should also be known that the marriage he is in right now is not valid. Who do we repo...

10/26/2007 | Category » Divorce  State » AL  #11004
What forms are needed to file for legal separation if we have a child together?

I need to know what I need to do to file for a legal seperation from my spouse. We do have a child together and I have 2 from another relationship. What forms will I need? How does the process work? Is there a website to print the forms from that are free of charge?

11/01/2007 | Category » Divorce  State » CO  #11392
What are the requirements for filing a legal separation if my husband is no longer in the country?

My husband and I married in Boston, MA. I currently reside in Queens, NY and my husband left the country. I wish to file for a legal separation but don't know which state to file in and if I can without his signature. Please let me know what I can do.

11/01/2007 | Category » Divorce  State » NY  #11400
Can I file for spousal abandonment if I have not seen my spouse in one year?

Is it easy to get a quick divorce when you file for spouse abandonment? I have not seen or had any contact for one year now.

11/04/2007 | Category » Divorce  State » AZ  #11574
Can I get divorced if I have not seen or heard from my husband in twenty one years?

What is the requirement for legal divorce in the state of Mississippi if you have not seen or heard from your spouse in twenty one years?

11/07/2007 | Category » Divorce  State » MS  #11853
Have the laws changed in the state of Virginia for Allienation of affection?

11/12/2007 | Category » Divorce  State » WA  #12122
Now that I am divorced do I need to update my will to exclude my then wife?

I was recently divorced in MA. The divorce decree is final. It is my understanding that items which includes cash, bank accounts, and the house,which are all in my name, but are left to my wife according to the will, are not legally hers, pursuant to MA law and the parts of the ...

11/19/2007 | Category » Divorce  State » MA  #12527
What to do with animals during divorce that both parties have interest in

I have a Thoroughbred race horse farm (my name only). Husband and I are in Ch 13 Bankruptcy. The court disallowed CH 12 because my husband is an ER physician and makes $200K year. The horses were a tax break, not a money maker. (30K loss for our joint taxes last year) I filed a ...

12/10/2008 | Category » Divorce  State » PA  #14780
How do I divorce my husband who I have not talked to in 5 years?

I left my husband in the summer of 1994. I have tried a couple of times to get dissolution papers signed by him but he has refused. The last time I spoke to him was 5 years ago. How do I get legally unmarried, through dissolution or divorce, without having him sign. I am not aski...

12/18/2008 | Category » Divorce  State » AK  #14831
Is a divorce by bed and board be recognized by the social security administration?

Will a divorce by bed and board be recognized by the social security administration as a divorce in order for the wife to receive social security benefits of a previous husband of 12 years?

12/19/2008 | Category » Divorce  State » GA  #14832
How can I file for divorce and my wife keep the marital property?

I went to an Attorney and paid $300.00 for a divorce action. I wanted to leave my wife and have her keep the two cars and the house. I found out that there was a lien on the house from the government. The Attorney never answered my calls to see what I needed to do to proceed with...

01/16/2009 | Category » Divorce  State » TX  #15010
What are my legal options to make my ex wife stop verbally abusing me around the kids?

My wife and I are separated, I have the children 4 days a weeks and she has them 3 days a week. During the normal course of the care of our children and their medical issues, conversing, texting and emailing with my soon to be ex wife is required. She has persistently been verbal...

02/06/2009 | Category » Divorce  State » CA  #15175
How would I verify that my divorce from over twenty years ago was finalized?

I was married to a man in the navy in 1989. I filed for divorce in California but there is no record of the document. A divorce document was produced in Florida bearing only part of my name and did not mention my maiden name. I married another man some years later and have had...

02/08/2009 | Category » Divorce  State » MA  #15197
Can an oral modification be made to divorce decree or should it be done in court?

When my husband and I divorced in Florida, he was living locally and was seeing the 2 children twice a week and every other weekend. To be fair, we each agreed to claim one child for tax purposes, and that was stated in the divorce agreement. He has since moved to North Carolin...

02/16/2009 | Category » Divorce  State » FL  #15261
Can my spouse file for divorce citing irreconcilable differences and an absence of affection?

I have been married about a year and a half. My spouse has failed to support me in regards to my step children. My spouse has stopped sharing a bed with me and does not speak to me any longer. I suggested family and marital counseling but my spouse isn't interested. We have soug...

03/05/2009 | Category » Divorce  State » SC  #15449
How do I Get a Default Divorce While Incarcerated in Texas?

I am incarcerated and have filed a petition for divorce with a waiver of appearance. My wife didn't show up to our court date to sign the final decree. She was served by a sheriff and doesn't contest the divorce. She even called the court coordinator and told her she was in agree...

03/06/2009 | Category » Divorce  State » TX  #15464
Can I sue my wife's lover when it causes her to divorce me?

03/10/2009 | Category » Divorce  State » MI  #15522
How can I file for divorce if I can not locate my husband?

I have a temporary order by consent in the state of South Carolina. It was signed by a judge in February 08. We separated in July of 2007. I have full custody of my 2 children and he has supervised visitation. He has not paid child support and has been ruled in contempt and ther...

03/10/2009 | Category » Divorce  State » SC  #15525
What forms do I need to file for divorce and how much do I need to pay for child support?

I want to get a divorce. My wife lives in Maryland. We have a 13 year old son. We have not lived together for 10+ years. She lives in Virginia. Custody will remain with her. I make $25,000 a year, I have 2 other child support orders (arrears) for adult children. What forms do I ...

03/16/2009 | Category » Divorce  State » AL  #15653
Where can I find a form to modify my child support?

Are there legal forms for Georgia/Bulloch County that I can purchase/locate to develop a child support modification request? If so, please tell me how to locate these forms.

03/21/2009 | Category » Divorce  State » GA  #15709
Where should my daughter file for divorce if she was married in Las Vegas but resides in Oregon?

My daughter got married in Las Vegas but resides in the state of Oregon. Is there special divorce papers for this or does she use the divorce kit listed in your order. Uncontested with no children but property will be added to the divorce.

03/22/2009 | Category » Divorce  State » OR  #15718
Can I file for an uncontested divorce if there are children involved?

This question pertains to a divorce in MS. Please answer as it pertains to Mississippi laws of divorce. I want to get a divorce. My wife lives in Virginia. We have a 13 year old son. We have not lived together for 12+ years. She lives in Virginia. Custody of my son will remain wi...

03/24/2009 | Category » Divorce  State » AL  #15753
What recourse do I have to enforce the terms of the divorce decree to collect money owed to me?

My ex-husband and I divorced in August 2004. Currently we have a Property Settlement Agreement signed by the Judge. To date my ex has not been compliant with some of the terms of the PSA which we both agreed and initial before the final divorce decree. i.e pending sale of the mar...

03/25/2009 | Category » Divorce  State » NJ  #15759
What is 'confidential petition & addendum' in regards to divorce proceedings?

Upcoming divorce hearing docket says: 1) 'summons & petition' 2) 'confidential petition & addendum' 3) 'original certificate of divorce or annulment' My question is, what is #2?

03/28/2009 | Category » Divorce  State » WI  #15805
Did my husband relinquish his parental rights when he left me and our kids without returning?

My husband packed a bag and left the children and I without warning. Is this legal abandonment? And by doing so, does he relinquish all parental rights in making decisions on the welfare of your children?

04/01/2009 | Category » Divorce  State » TX  #15837
Is there a way to get a divorce in Nevada without spouses signature?

If you are trying to get a divorce and really want this to be done, legal forms has the paperwork done and ready to be signed by the second party. Second party has copy of papers and has had them for three months is there a way to get this done with OUT the second parties signature?

04/03/2009 | Category » Divorce  State » NV  #15867
What are the requirements to file for divorce by publication?

What forms to file for divorce by publication, or uncontested divorce with 2 minor children, and what would be the fees for child support? I live in Georgia and I am requesting information for Apache, OK. If I can't request this info from Ga., then by all means us my city and st...

04/14/2009 | Category » Divorce  State » GA  #15982
Alcohol Restrictions during a Divorce

My divorce was final in 01/03. My ex-husband agreed to 'alcohol restrictions' and this wording was included in the court's decision. My daughter has seen a psychologist through my work program. The psychologist is concerned with what my daughter told her and wants me to find out...

04/14/2009 | Category » Divorce  State » ALL  #15988
Can my husband claim adultery if I go out on a date if the divorce is not final?

I am currently in the middle of a divorce where I, the plantiff, filed it under the grounds of physical abuse. A temporary order has been made and is awaiting a final court date. Until the final court date, can my husband claim adultery if I go out on a date or have company over ...

04/27/2009 | Category » Divorce  State » ALL  #16176
How long after a temporary order is the final order of divorce granted?

How long after a temporary order has been filed can a final order and final divorce date be granted?

04/27/2009 | Category » Divorce  State » SC  #16178
Is there a form to protect individual IRA's and Investments in a divorce?

My husband and I are going to divorce, we would like to protect our individual IRA's and investments from being put into the community property pool. Is there a specific document, outside of the divorce packet that we will need to file?

04/27/2009 | Category » Divorce  State » ALL  #16181
How do I file a marital separation and property settlement agreement in New York?

I am trying to file a marital separation and property settlement agreement (uncontested) in Kings County New York. I sent 3 notarized copies to the correct place at the Clerk's office with the proper fee and it was sent back to me saying I needed a 'note of issue', a fee for the ...

04/28/2009 | Category » Divorce  State » NY  #16244
Is there a published list of utilities or what is considered to be a utility?

Is there a published list of utilities or what is considered to be a utility? The purpose of the question is divorce related and I want to know because in the interim of my divorce my husband is to pay all utilities but we can not agree on what is and is not a utility.

04/28/2009 | Category » Divorce  State » CT  #16261
Can my husband be charged with adultry if we are still married and he is with someone else?

My husband left, thinking that was all that was needed for a 'legal separation'. I have not agreed to the separation and we have not even separated the finances. I still pay all the bills and keep up the house (no children). He says he's in love with someone else. If after a year...

04/28/2009 | Category » Divorce  State » SC  #16280
How do I make my ex wife responsible for her half of the leased apartment?

I was married in April, 2007. On late February 19, 2008, upon arriving at our shared apartment, much to my dismay and surprise, my wife informed me that she wanted a divorce. She has subsequently moved out of the apartment (March 1st) and since then, has served me with divorce p...

04/28/2009 | Category » Divorce  State » AZ  #16295
Can my brother get his divorce finalized even if his wife does not want to sign?

My brother wants to file for a divorce from his wife. They were married for about 3 years and have 2 young children. She is a meth abuser and very abusive mentally. She is refusing to sign anything. My brother has tried to have her served w/the divorce papers but she refuses to a...

04/28/2009 | Category » Divorce  State » ALL  #16320
How is it determined in a divorce who gets what property?

I live in NH, have 3 children (13, 7, & 3) & married for 9 years. My husband adopted the 13 year old. We've had our home for 5 years. Although we're joint tenants on the deed, he's the only mortgagor on the mortgage. How does this play out in terms of divorce?

04/28/2009 | Category » Divorce  State » NH  #16350
If I leave my husband would it considered abandonment since he is disabled?

I am getting a divorce from my husband and he says I will have to pay him alimony if I desert him. He makes $2,000 from his job and he is on disability and he receives another $1800.00. I only bring home $2500.00 monthly. He has a home only his name on it. If I leave him since ...

04/28/2009 | Category » Divorce  State » ALL  #16354
Can a person in North Carolina sue a person in Florida for alienation of affection?

04/29/2009 | Category » Divorce  State » NC  #16361
Is verbal abuse a grounds for my wife to make me leave and to divorce me?

My wife and I have been arguing and she is now seeking a divorce through a mediator. I am not in favor of divorcing but she claims that I am verbally abusive. I have on a few (maybe 5-6 times during our 20 year marriage) made rude comments. I'm not proud of this and have apologi...

04/29/2009 | Category » Divorce  State » ALL  #16369
My wife withdrew my son from school and left the state without my consent

My spouse and I had separated but not yet filed for divorce. Without my knowledge, she took my son out of school and fled to Indiana. What can I do?

04/29/2009 | Category » Divorce  State » ALL  #16388
How can I get my soon to be ex husband out and have him pay his part of the rent so I can remain?

My husband, myself and our 2 year old, are renting a house for $1,400 a month + utilities. We have a 2 year lease, but have been here only one year. We are divorcing (uncontested) and my husband has been emotionally and verbally abusing me and our son for weeks. He no longer co...

04/29/2009 | Category » Divorce  State » ALL  #16448
Are there any special rules for my divorce if my spouse is overseas in the military?

I am a military spouse filing for divorce. Are there special rules that apply? My spouse and I were born and raised in Gadsden, Alabama, he currently pays state taxes. We have been legal residents for 40 years. He is currently stationed in Germany. Set to move back to the states ...

05/04/2009 | Category » Divorce  State » AL  #16552
Does a divorce contain an automatic restraining order?

If my sister divorces, is there an automatic restraining order between her and her husband, because they have agreed he can stay in the 5th wheel on the property, and is fearful she would put him in jail for breaking the restraining order, note: there is no past or current restr...

05/04/2009 | Category » Divorce  State » CO  #16555
What are the requirements for a no fault divorce with no debt or children?

What is required for a no-fault divorce on the grounds of desertion by the wife, no property to be divided, no children, with the spouse living in another state? She wants to revert to her maiden name.

05/04/2009 | Category » Divorce  State » MS  #16561
Do I have to notify my ex-husband that I am remarrying since we have a child?

I have sole custody of my daughter. My ex husband is mentally ill and was in jail several times for aggravated stalking of me. He is now in Tennessee on probation. I am getting re-married and want to know if I even have to tell him. I am concerned for my daughters safety and ...

06/01/2009 | Category » Divorce  State » FL  #16836
What are the requirements to become divorced in New Jersey?

My ex-husband and I never had a legal separation. Our divorce was pushed through in 8 days for divorce from the state. I filed 10/24/2000 and we were divorced on 10/30/2000 in the state of New Jersey. Would our divorce be null and void since we were never legally approved by the ...

06/07/2009 | Category » Divorce  State » AZ  #16884
Is there someway two parties can settle a divorce dispute without having to appear in court?

My daughter and grandsons live in Georgia with my wife and me. She's getting a divorce from her husband who lives in Texas. They're suppose to be in court in Texas on Thursday, but they have just now come to an agreement on everything. At this point, is there a way that the two ...

06/08/2009 | Category » Divorce  State » GA  #16904
What Are the Residency Requirements for Filing a Divorce in California?

My spouse and I have been separated for 4 years now. I have been in Afghanistan working for the past 6 months. My new residence when I am back in the U.S. will be California. She still lives in Fulton County, Georgia. We separated in Georgia where I lived until December 2008. I w...

06/10/2009 | Category » Divorce  State » CA  #16918
How Do I Get a Divorce in North Carolina?

I would like to buy a house for myself in a few months. My husband and I are separated, but not legally. I would like to know the steps I have to take to get the divorce process started. We agree on getting a divorce and have no kids, no home together, and no assets. What do I ha...

06/23/2009 | Category » Divorce  State » NC  #17155
Can I Sue for Alienation of Affections in California?

I have COPD. Up until last October, my husband and I got along great. I could not have sexual relations with him because of my COPD. In January 2009 out of the blue he said our marriage was over. I asked him if there was someone else; he lied to my face. The end of March early Ap...

07/05/2009 | Category » Divorce  State » CA  #17333
How is Property Divided in Pennsylvania Divorce?

I have been separated for 2 years and going through a divorce. My car just died and I need to get another one. Can I buy a car in my name or will it be considered property of the marriage and run the risk of losing the car in the settlement?

07/20/2009 | Category » Divorce  State » PA  #17662
What Are My Rights in a Florida Divorce?

I am married to a canadian and we have property involved, no kids. We got married in October of last year on the 25th. He has his own business in Canada and I have been unable to work due to the not being a citizen. I am a nurse by trade. What rights do I have to collect alimon...

07/20/2009 | Category » Divorce  State » FL  #17673
Is It Possible to be Divorced and Not Know It?

Is it possible that a person does not even know that the other spouse has already divorced you and you not even know it? This would eliminate any division of properties that the person that knew and purchased properties would not have to divide the profits, because when the actu...

07/20/2009 | Category » Divorce  State » CA  #17674
Can I Be Considered Separated When We Sleep in Separate Bedrooms?

My husband and I live in the same house but sleep in separate bedrooms for the past 10 months, with no intimacy for four months. In order to not avoid the other 5 grounds for divorce, he would like to separate for one year before filing. Is it possible to apply the 10 months of n...

07/24/2009 | Category » Divorce  State » NY  #17795
How Will Divorce Affect Me in South Carolina?

I have not lived with my wife for 3 years and still pay all the household bills and her car, car ins. etc. We have not filed for seperation because she wants to wait for our 17 yr old daughter to graduate high school this year. I have asked for a divorce several times. I have hav...

07/29/2009 | Category » Divorce  State » SC  #17865
Can I Divorce My Husband for Being Addicted to Pornography?

my husband is into porno so bad he wont give it up he'd rather see me leave then for him to give it up he goes out gone for hours i find cock rings on the floor of his car all the time he locks up everything his office the garage the storage shed im not allowed to know nothing. h...

02/07/2011 | Category » Divorce  State » CA  #24172
How Long Do I Need to Wait to File for Divorce in South Carolina After My Spouse Moves Out?

I live and was married in South Carolina. I've been married for 3 years now. My wife and daughter have moved to Texas. When can I file for divorce? Thanks

02/24/2011 | Category » Divorce  State » TX  #24290
Can I Countersue for Adultery if My Wife Files a No Fault Divorce in Pennsylvania?

My wife got a PFA against me started 9/22/11 it got made temporary 6 mos. they also charged me with assault. I own a business my wife was doing the bookeeping. All my computwers files checks etc. were in the house I have not been allowed to step ont5o the property for 6 months. L...

03/13/2012 | Category » Divorce  State » PA  #25631