Marriage Legal Questions & Answers

If one is confined to home/bed, what is needed to get a marriage license approved?

01/09/2007 | Category » Marriage  State » TX  #282
Is common law marriage recognized in Ohio?

Is common law marriage recognized in Ohio? Under what circumstances?

02/01/2007 | Category » Marriage  State » OH  #891
Should I register my marriage in the USA if I was married in Pakistan?

I live in Pakistan. My husband is a green card holder. He is from Pakistan. We got married on the 25th day of May, 2006. Our marriage is registered in Pakistan. He says that since our marriage is registered in Pakistan, there is no need to register it in USA. He lives in Orlando,...

02/01/2007 | Category » Marriage  State » FL  #976
What forms will a Minister have to file to officiate at a marriage ceremony in Florida?

What forms will a Minister have to file to officiate at a marriage ceremony in Florida? My ordination is from another state.

02/01/2007 | Category » Marriage  State » FL  #980
Can a Judge from Oregon get a waiver to perform a marriage in the State of Washington?

02/01/2007 | Category » Marriage  State » WA  #993
Is there a law in Pennsylvania barring a woman from marrying a man whose mother is her cousin?

02/01/2007 | Category » Marriage  State » PA  #997
If my new husband was never divorced is our marriage a fraud?

I just got married and we just found out his divorced was not final. Is our marriage legal?

02/01/2007 | Category » Marriage  State » VA  #1343
Can I legally perform a marriage in Oregon, even though I was ordained as a minister in Alabama?

02/02/2007 | Category » Marriage  State » OR  #421
What are the current indicators of common law marriage?

02/08/2007 | Category » Marriage  State » PA  #516
Is there any laws about having a marriage ceremony on private property?

02/15/2007 | Category » Marriage  State » KS  #711
What is the legal age for marriage without a parent granting permission?

What is the legal age for marriage without someone (like a parent) granting permission?

03/02/2007 | Category » Marriage  State » AL  #778
Does a wedding have to be officiated by a member of clergy or Justice of the Peace?

Does a wedding have to be officiated by a member of clergy or Justice of the Peace? Can a friend of the couple perform the ceremony?

03/03/2007 | Category » Marriage  State » IA  #793
Is our confidential marriage legal if he lied and said it was his first marriage?

Is our confidential marriage legal if he lied and said it was his first marriage on the license because he didnt know the exact date of dissolution of his first, but he is divorced and had been for years before we got married.

04/01/2007 | Category » Marriage  State » CA  #2437
My friend remarried before her first divorce was final, so is her marriage legal?

A friend of mine got married before she got her divorce she is now divorced from the first man is this marriage legal? Is this considered bigamy, if so, what if so what is the punisiment?

04/10/2007 | Category » Marriage  State » NC  #2869
If I call off the wedding do I have to give back the ring?

When you get divorced do you have to give the wedding ring and engagement ring back?

04/15/2007 | Category » Marriage  State » MA  #3106
Can my fiance's father stop us from getting married if her mother has already signed?

My fiance is 17 years old. Her parents are divorced and her mother has full custody. We've already been to probate court and gotten through our application and have the license waiting to be signed by the pastor when we are married on May 18th. We are afraid to tell her father be...

04/24/2007 | Category » Marriage  State » OH  #3291
Am I responsible for my fiance's debt once we marry?

My fiance just had to plead guilty to a felony. She has $55,000 in restitution; is there a way for me once we are married to shelter our finances? Long story short, the state emptied her bank account today of $3,500 when the verbal agreement with the court was $200 a month so we ...

05/01/2007 | Category » Marriage  State » CA  #3529
Does Ohio have community property laws?

Does Ohio have community property laws? My niece is married, but not on loan or home her husband is delinquent on and is being sued.

05/12/2007 | Category » Marriage  State » CA  #4560
Could I be responsible for my new husband's debts?

I am interested in marrying a man who is about to declare bankruptcy. I have a lot of assets. My question is this: If we should decide to marry, will I be liable for his debts? I need to be cautious about my future and cannot afford to loose any assets. Can Uncle Sam attach my...

05/15/2007 | Category » Marriage  State » TX  #4877
Can I force my alcoholic husband out of our marital home if he does not get help?

I am married and have a 15 yr old daughter. My husband is an alcoholic. I want him to find someplace else to stay until he gets some help. He says he won't leave. What legal options do I have to make him leave? He is gone for the weekend, and I thought I might be able to find...

05/18/2007 | Category » Marriage  State » TX  #5193
Do we need to do anything legally before my husband and I renew our wedding vows?

I am married and my spouse and I want to renew our wedding vows are there any legal matters (license, fees, etc.) we need to take care of before we plan the renewal ceremony?

05/24/2007 | Category » Marriage  State » MI  #5831
Do I have a legal right to file "marital interference" charges on the mistress?

My husband and I have been married for 6 1/2 years. I recently discovered that he has commited adultery. I want to know if there is a legal right to file marital interference" charges on the mistress as she will not leave our marriage now that she has been invited to do so.

05/25/2007 | Category » Marriage  State » UT  #5938
What are my rights once married regarding property of my new husband and his will

I am marrying a man who's former wife is deceased, he has one adult child. He currently owns a sucessful corporation and home in his name and his deceased wife. He has a will but it is not current since her death. He is not interested in getting a prenuptial and has not said w...

05/26/2007 | Category » Marriage  State » PA  #5954

Marriage is a legal contract entered into between a man and woman who intend to become husband...

What is the legal definition of "marriage"? Specifically, "traditional", common law, and gay marriages. I cannot find short, but accurate definitions.

07/08/2007 | Category » Marriage  State » CA  #7002
Can a couple maintain different bank account once married?

When you get married, it is possible for your credit and finances to remain separate from one another? I have excellent credit and have a decent amount of money built up. Is there any way, in a prenup agreement, or elsewhere, where a person's credit and savings, be "safe" if the ...

09/20/2007 | Category » Marriage  State » IL  #8905
Is my marriage to an illegal alien valid since he did not use his correct name?

In 2005, I married an illegal alien from Mexico. Shortly after we were married, I found out that he only married me so that he could become a citizen, which did not happen. We seperated less than a year after our wedding, and at that time he told me that the name he used on our...

10/05/2007 | Category » Marriage  State » SC  #9685
What can I do if they person I just married was already married and never divorced?

My question is I have married someone who is already married, I just found this out. What can I do legally. We are both on a lease and he holds property of mine.

10/26/2007 | Category » Marriage  State » IN  #11032
Can a Friend Become Ordained and Preside over our Wedding

In the state of Illinois, is it legal to have a friend get ordained and preside over your wedding?

10/29/2007 | Category » Marriage  State » IL  #11219
If I marry a man with debt and he were to die would I be responsible for that debt?

I have no debt, but am engaged to an older man with debt that he aquired before we knew each other. If he should die before the debt is paid off, as his wife would I be responsible for the rest? Is there a pre-nuptual agreement that would protect me from this?

11/03/2007 | Category » Marriage  State » TX  #11529
Can a step-child marry a former step-parent legally?

Can a adult stepchild married a stepparent, is this legal. They are in no way blood related and they are not marrried to the bio-parent anymore. Would this make the stepchild no longer related to the stepparent.

11/04/2007 | Category » Marriage  State » MA  #11578
What paperwork is needed to validate a marriage from the 1930's?

I am looking for a form to validate a marriage that was performed back in the 1930's. The wedding was a Traditional Native American ceremony. So to this day there hasn't been actual proof of marriage. I need a form to confirm the marriage with witnesses who are still alive today....

11/23/2007 | Category » Marriage  State » AZ  #12738
Is there a state that allows you to have two wives?

IS THEIR A STATE THAT ALLOWS YOU TO MARRY TWO AND HAVE TWO WIVES?

12/07/2007 | Category » Marriage  State » OK  #13508
Who Can Legally Marry Us in Illinois

My friend became an ordained minister online. His license is from another state; can he legally marry my fiance and me in the state of Illinois? How can I check to make sure he is legal.

12/12/2007 | Category » Marriage  State » IL  #13753
Will I Need Both Parents Permission To Marry In Georgia Before The Age Of 18

Do I have to have both of my parents permission to marry before the age of 18?

01/10/2008 | Category » Marriage  State » GA  #14634
Is our marriage legal if my husband's divorce papers read that he could not remarry for 60 days?

My husband and I were married on May 17, 2008 in Gatlinburg, Tenneessee. His divorce papers were signed off on by the judge on May 5, 2008 in the state of Alabama. It states in the decree that he can not marry again for 60 days unless to his previous wife. I just found all of ...

03/23/2009 | Category » Marriage  State » AL  #15736
Is a covenant marriage that will be legal and vaild in Florida?

My fiance and I want a covenant marriage, but we are getting married in Florida, will we be able to apply for a covenant marriage that will be legal and vaild?

03/25/2009 | Category » Marriage  State » FL  #15758
If I used a last name different from the one on my birth certificate is my marriage legal?

If I made a mistake and used a different last name from the birth certificate when I got married, is the marriage still legal?

04/29/2009 | Category » Marriage  State » NY  #16462
What can I do if I believe my husband is still married to someone else?

I have been married for 4 years. He did not tell me that he was married in 1999 to another woman; I found the marriage certificate. I have looked in 4 counties where they lived and found no record of a divorce. He continues to lie. What do I do? What is the legal action to take, ...

05/22/2009 | Category » Marriage  State » WA  #16751
Is a marriage legal if wife signed wrong last name on certificate?

When my wife and I got married in California She signed her maiden name on the wedding certificate. But she had not legaly changed her name back to her madden name after she divorced her first husband. Does that mean we never really entered into a legal contract...in other word...

01/21/2011 | Category » Marriage  State » CA  #24056
Where Can Bigamy Be Prosecuted and For How Long?

Hi This is a tricky one to challenge you dealing with bigamous activity.Facts: Married a American girl in Jamaica January 2008, and signed all the legal paperwork, supplied by the vicar.We were living in California at the time.She had a marriage of convenience in place that was ...

03/19/2011 | Category » Marriage  State » CA  #24443
Do I Need a Divorce to Get Remarried if I've Been Separated for 20 Years?

if i was married twenty years ago and never divorced, and remarried again is the second marriage legal.

04/22/2011 | Category » Marriage  State » NY  #24699
Does a bride have to take her groom's last name when they get married?

Want to know if there is any problem with my retaining my present name and not changing to husbands after marriage and if there is anything I need to do to accomplish this.

11/17/2011 | Category » Marriage  State » IN  #25550