Medicaid Legal Questions & Answers

Can Medicaid put a lien on my friend's house if he receives assistance?

I am in joint ownership of a home with a roommate that has Dementia. I am trying to get him on medicaid, but they say they will lein the house. Could I put the house in a trust?

04/04/2007 | Category » Medicaid  State » NV  #2645
How do I get my medicare card replaced?

I damaged my Medicare card and need to request a new one?

10/19/2007 | Category » Medicaid  State » NJ  #10574
Can my elderly mother give me her property with a gift deed?

My Mother in law is 89 years old with diabetes and the first stages of alzheimers. Can she give me her property with a gift deed and save it from being confiscated when she enters a nursing home. Her only assets are 50 acres of land which she has owned for over 60 years.

01/23/2009 | Category » Medicaid  State » TX  #15051
If I put my mother in a state nursing home should I protect her assets and if so how?

My Mother is 80 years old and living in Church supported retirement community. I may soon have no choice but to put her in a nursing home. She has an annuity of $7000 in Lousiana. She has a joint checking account with me, with $15,000 of our money. If I put her in a nursing home ...

02/18/2009 | Category » Medicaid  State » AL  #15284
Can Medicaid Attach House Transferred to Children With Retained Life Estate?

We bought my father and mother's property in the year 2000. Since then, my mother has passed on and my father is ready to go into a nursing home. We paid the property off in 2004. We gave my parents the right to live there for life. Now, we have two deeds - a warranty deed and a...

03/05/2009 | Category » Medicaid  State » OH  #15455
Will Medicaid attached my sister's assets if she goes into a nursing home?

My older sister and I have lived together for 20+ years. We use the same checking account. Our home was originally purchased by my sister but a few years ago we had it put in my name as well. Her only income is from Social Security. She has no savings or any source of income. I a...

04/16/2009 | Category » Medicaid  State » TX  #16029
What deed is needed to transfer ownership of my home to my two children?

My husband and I own our home outright. I want to put the house in my two children's names. My son and married daughter. Is this possible with a quitclaim deed or is a warranty deed better? If I need to ever go to a nursing home, I do not want them to take my home for payment t...

04/18/2009 | Category » Medicaid  State » FL  #16040
Can the state deny Medicaid to a mentally retarded adult who is receiving SSI only?

Mentally retarded adult receiving SSI now denied medicaid due to receiving deceased father's benefit amount, thus an increase over his SSI benefit. Increase started in 2001. Now receives a total $1109 monthly. Can MO deny medicaid? Basis?

04/20/2009 | Category » Medicaid  State » MO  #16053
Which trust is required for asset protection, specifically protection from long-term care costs?

Which trust is required for asset protection, specifically protection from long-term care costs? Can a married individual be the sole trust maker of this trust? Is there any condition under which this trust may become revocable?

05/19/2009 | Category » Medicaid  State » MA  #16713
How would I transfer property to my children but still collect rental income from it?

I would like to make out a form for the 5 year period so that they cannot take my property in case I become ill. However, I want the right to get the income from the property until I become disabled. I need to put my property in my kids name, so, how do I do this? Also, I had a t...

06/04/2009 | Category » Medicaid  State » NE  #16863
What should we do with my father's assets before applying for government assistance programs?

My father-in-law lives in Mississippi. He is wanting to deed all of his assets and property into a family trust. His main two goals are:1. To protect his estate for his three adult children (with his oldest daughter as trustee) 2. Have all of his assets out of his name in the ...

06/08/2009 | Category » Medicaid  State » AL  #16909
Can False Codes Be Used to Submit a Medicare Claim?

Can a DME company submit diagnosis to medicare for payment for orthotic splints by using diagnosis codes that medicare will pay for instead of the diagnosis submitted by therapists?

06/27/2009 | Category » Medicaid  State » FL  #17218
What is a Medicaid Income Trust?

Someone told me I should put my money separate from my 2nd husband's money into a Medicaid 'Safe' Trust, since he has 3 serious illnesses. What is that and is it legal?

07/02/2009 | Category » Medicaid  State » MI  #17317
How Do I Establish a Medicaid Income Trust?

This question is regarding medicaid income trusts. Are these trusts normally irrevocable? Is the grantor's social security number allowed to be used when setting up a bank account in the name of the medicaid income trust? Is this also known as a supplemental needs trust? What li...

07/05/2009 | Category » Medicaid  State » FL  #17337
What Can I Do If I Can not Afford a Nursing Home for a Parent?

We recently sold our home Oct. 08 to add on to mothers house and move in with her. We paid her house off July 08 and thought we were helping. I am an only child and my wife cares for my mom. Now my mom needs full time care. She has had a stroke dec 08 and partial hip replacement...

07/27/2009 | Category » Medicaid  State » TX  #17827