Minors Legal Questions & Answers

Am I legally required to immunize my child in Indiana in order for him to attend school?

Am I legally required to immunize my child in the state of Indiana in order for him to attend school?

01/12/2007 | Category » Minors  State » IN  #373
Is there a law prohibiting a child's parent to find out the punishment of another child?

In a private school, is there a law prohibiting a child's parent to find out the punishment of another child, if the other child has punched your child while at school? Our private school will not give us info on the punishment the other child may have recieved after he punch ou...

02/01/2007 | Category » Minors  State » IN  #832
Is there a minimum age mandated by Washington state to get a tattoo?

Is there a minimum age mandated by Washington state to get a tattoo? May a parent sign a permission slip if a minor is under the permitted age?

02/01/2007 | Category » Minors  State » WA  #908
Is it legal for me at 18 to move into my 17 year old girlfriend's parent's house?

I am 18 years old and I want to know if it is illegal for me to move in with my 17 year old girlfriend’s parents and sleep in different rooms in the state of Oregon?

02/01/2007 | Category » Minors  State » OR  #958
What is the difference between legal custody and legal guardianship of a minor in the state of Ohio?

02/01/2007 | Category » Minors  State » OH  #973
Can a 17 year old leave home to be with friends as they please as long as they come home?

Can a 17 year old leave their home to be with friends when they please, as long as they come home at a decent hour?

02/01/2007 | Category » Minors  State » TX  #1411
Can I legally let my 16 year old roommate with friends for the summer?

My son is 16 and wants to live with a couple of 18 year old friends for the summer. I don't want him to do this, but I'm afraid he's rebellious enough that he will go whether he has permission or not. He is a good kid but does not get along with his father very well. He says h...

03/20/2007 | Category » Minors  State » ID  #1889
What is the law for Missouri on child abandonment?

03/26/2007 | Category » Minors  State » MO  #1017
Can I force my 17 year old back home and back to school?

My son-age 17-moved out six weeks ago. Since then, he has missed 14 days of school. Can I legally force him to move home and attend school?

03/27/2007 | Category » Minors  State » GA  #2202
What is the legal age to date in Florida?

What is the legal age to date in Florida? The girl just turned 16 in Feb, and the boy is 20 he will be 21 in December. Is this legal? What can happen?

03/27/2007 | Category » Minors  State » FL  #2210
Can you move out of your parents' house if you are 17 and have graduated?

I moved from Maryland about 7 years ago. My mom has married my stepdad and he is somewhat overbearing. He says that I cannot move out because I am a legal resident of Maryland and I am not going anywhere. My question is: Can you move out of your parents' house if you are 17 and ...

03/27/2007 | Category » Minors  State » NC  #2213
Do facilities have the right to deny personal information about a minor child to the parents?

Do facilities have the right to deny medical/billing/attendence information about a minor child to the parents? Do we have the right to ask who has legal custody of the child? Does the parent who does not have the legal custody have the right to ask for any information regu...

03/29/2007 | Category » Minors  State » MI  #2327
Can an 18 year old date a 14 year old in the state of North Carolina?

03/29/2007 | Category » Minors  State » NC  #2340
Can a 16 year old go on a date with somone over 18 without parents permission?

04/04/2007 | Category » Minors  State » ND  #2599
How would the case by stated if I am filing against a minor parent for custody of a minor child?

Filing a suit against a minor parent for custody/support of minor child. How is the case to be captioned?

04/05/2007 | Category » Minors  State » MD  #2656
Is it illegal for a thirty five year old male to have sex with a nineteen year old female?

Is it illegal for a thirty five year old male to have sex with a nineteen year old female in the state of New Jersey?

04/05/2007 | Category » Minors  State » NJ  #2662
What age is it that a minor child can choose which parent they want to live with?

04/05/2007 | Category » Minors  State » WY  #2672
What the legal age is that a minor can be left alone while a parent is working?

I am curious as to what the legal age is that a minor can be left alone while a parent is working in Maryland? The child just turned 11 on March 26th and is being medicated for ADHD. I am concerned that my ex-sister-in-law may start leaving him to fend for himself rather than ...

04/06/2007 | Category » Minors  State » MD  #2697
What are the requirements to become emancipated?

If I wanted to get emancipated from my mother how would I do that? What are the qualifications and laws about that?

04/06/2007 | Category » Minors  State » OK  #2719
What can I do to a 16 year old babysitter that drove my car without permission and wrecked it?

I hired a babysitter, 16 years old, that does not have a drivers license. She drove my car, without my permission, and hit a tree causing over one thousand dollars damage to my car. Is it possible to put a lien on her so that she can not obtain her drivers license until she pay...

04/07/2007 | Category » Minors  State » FL  #2739
What are the requirements to become emanciapted?

Is it possible to become emancipated at the age of 14 in NC?

04/08/2007 | Category » Minors  State » NC  #2772

How to I find a form for filling out to be emancipated?

04/08/2007 | Category » Minors  State » SD  #2779
What can I do to force my 16 year old son home or to live with his father?

At the age of 16 can my son remove himself from the house and live with a friend. Do I have any legal rights? I am still responsible for him so what can I do if he won't come home. My son has the option to move with his father but doesn't want to leave the group he hangs out with...

04/10/2007 | Category » Minors  State » CT  #2873
If a minor leaves home with parents permission who is obligated to support this minor financially?

My daughter has a minor friend who is seeking to move out of her mothers home, her mother said she is willing to sign papers to allow her to move out if that's what she chooses. I'm concerned about the minors rights and entitlements (ie her share of her child support from her fa...

04/11/2007 | Category » Minors  State » FL  #2935
Can I move out of my house at the age of 17 while still enroled in public school?

Can I move out of my house at the age of 17 while still enroled in public school? Will be 18 in October of 2007.

04/11/2007 | Category » Minors  State » IN  #2970
If a minor purchases a car and makes payments but later returns car can he expect his money returned

If a minor, aged 17, purchases a car and after making a down payment and six months of making payments, returns the car, can the minor expect to receive any of his money back?

04/11/2007 | Category » Minors  State » OH  #2982
Is it legal in the state of Minnesota to kick a minor out of his or her legal guardians home?

04/12/2007 | Category » Minors  State » MN  #2998
Where can I find a parental consent for to perform a message on a minor?

I am a massage therapist and work in a spa that is going to start performing massages on children from age 10 and up. The parent or guardian needs to sign a consent form but does not need to be present when the child is at the spa or in the service. I disagree and want the pare...

04/13/2007 | Category » Minors  State » CA  #3086
What is the legal age to amrry in Indiana without parent's permission?

What is the legal age for marriage without someone (like a parent) granting permission/giving approval in the state of indiana?

04/13/2007 | Category » Minors  State » IN  #3089
At what age can my 15 year old decided who she wants to live with?

What age does she have the right to choose which parent she wants to live with in Ohio. My daughter will be 15 next month?

04/16/2007 | Category » Minors  State » OH  #3121

I am 15 will be 16. Is there anyway I can do anything with the emancipation thing and what will they do with me if I get emancipated at this age?

04/16/2007 | Category » Minors  State » OH  #3131
What is the legal age in Ohio to get a tattoo or a piercing with a parents permission?

If your parents are with you and sign a paper what is the legal age in Ohio to get a tattoo or a percing?

04/18/2007 | Category » Minors  State » OH  #3174
Does a adult have to be present durning the questioning of a minor?

04/19/2007 | Category » Minors  State » IN  #3206
Is there any state that a 17 year old can get married with out a parental consent?

Is there any state that a 17 year old can get married with out a parental consent if she is pregnant and the boy she is wanting to marry is 20?

04/23/2007 | Category » Minors  State » TX  #3274
Can a minor live with an adult in the state of Ohio if they are not married?

04/26/2007 | Category » Minors  State » FL  #3327
Who must consent to psychological treatment of a minor in New York?

I am a psychologist trying to identify NY state law regarding psychological treatment of minors - specifically: 1. who (parent/guardian or minor) must provide consent for treatment, and 2. do confidentiality and the right to authorize to release of patient information belong t...

04/26/2007 | Category » Minors  State » NY  #3332
Am I still responsible for my daughter if she moves in with her boyfriend?

I live in the state of Florida. My 16 year old daughter (soon to be 17, already graduated High School) wishes to live with the boyfriend and his mother. Am I still responsible for her? What kind of trouble could I get in if I allowed her to go?

04/28/2007 | Category » Minors  State » FL  #3380
Can my neice decided who she wants to live with at 15 since her mother passed away?

My sister recently passed away leaving her fifteen year old daughter, my niece. Now our mother, the 15 year old's grandmother, has petitioned for custody although the father has appeared to claim parental rights to have visitation with the teen. The teen however does not know t...

04/28/2007 | Category » Minors  State » OH  #3384
If I am over 18 and I date someone under 18 can I get in trouble by the police?

I am 19 and I really like this girl, but she is 16. If I dated her, would I get in trouble for that?

04/30/2007 | Category » Minors  State » SC  #3436
What is the legal age to purchase real estate in Mississippi?

What is the legal age of a person to purchase real estate in Mississippi?

04/30/2007 | Category » Minors  State » MS  #3438
How old do you have to be to date some one over the age of 18?

04/30/2007 | Category » Minors  State » OH  #3455
Who would be guardian of the child my 16 year old is pregnant with?

This question is about my 16 year old step daughter. In the divorce she was to split her time equally between her mom and dad. However, she has decided to live full time with her dad without changing legal documents. Her mother claims her on taxes and her ex-husband is directed t...

05/01/2007 | Category » Minors  State » TN  #3525
What are the laws on dating a minor in California?

05/02/2007 | Category » Minors  State » CA  #3557
What is the legal age for child to stay home alone? - minors

What is the legal age for a minor to stay alone after school in the home? Is their a statute that states this?

05/08/2007 | Category » Minors  State » NY  #4187
WHo is responsible for filling out the information for a new baby's birth certificate?

My daughter is expecting a child in August. They have been arguing about the name. My son-in-law is insisting that she name this child after his grandmother and she is adament about another name. What I want to know is, can anyone beside the mother decide the name and anyone o...

05/09/2007 | Category » Minors  State » TN  #4292
Is it legal in Washington for a 21year old to date a 16 year old?

05/11/2007 | Category » Minors  State » WA  #4494
What can I do with my child whom I have filed unruly charges against?

I have filed un-ruly charges on my 14 year old son. This is the second time. The first time we just met with a mediator of the court and nothing was imposed. If again nothing is done as a parent what rights do I have? There is not physical abuse involved. He is un-ruly, disresp...

05/12/2007 | Category » Minors  State » OH  #4532
What is the legal age to get a tattoo in California and Nevada?

WHAT IS THE LEGAL AGE OF A MINOR IN CALIFORNIA AND NEVADA TO GET A TATTOO. ARE THERE LAWS ABOUT MINORS BEING TATTOOED?

05/17/2007 | Category » Minors  State » CA  #5076
If a minor child gets pregnant does that automatically emancipate them?

We have a 15 year old daughter who got pregnant by a 23 year old man. She just turned 16 a few days ago and is 4 months pregnant. We are in the process of trying to prosecute him, however he has fled the state and at that time he took our daughter with him to another state. After...

05/22/2007 | Category » Minors  State » FL  #5527
What does Texas law say what is the appropriate age a minor may babysit other children?

I have 2 questions: 1. What does Texas law say when a brother and sister have to have their own bedrooms and not sleeping in the same room? 2. What does Texas law say what is the appropriate age a minor may babysit other children?

05/23/2007 | Category » Minors  State » TX  #5705
Is there a law concerning siblings of the opposite sex sharing a bedroom?

What is the state/federal law concerning siblings of the opposite sex sharing a bedroom? Is there an age limit when they need their own room?

05/23/2007 | Category » Minors  State » TX  #5720
Is there a state law that specifically states how hold someone has to be to babysit other kids?

Is there a state/federal law concerning the youngest age limit a minor is able to babysit their younger siblings or other minors without adult supervision?

05/23/2007 | Category » Minors  State » TX  #5721
How do I handle my 17 year old son wanting to do as he pleases?

I have a 17 year old son who has convinced a psychologist that he is being mentally abused. Due to his telling the police that he was considering suicide the police told us that they have to have him go to the hospital for a psychological evaluation. All this was done without our...

05/25/2007 | Category » Minors  State » MN  #5935
Can the mother of a teen who is pregnant take control of the baby once born?

I have a young family member who is pregnant. Her mother is telling her that she will take custody of the child once she has it. Can she emancipate herself from her mother? They live in Virginia.

06/13/2007 | Category » Minors  State » PA  #6417
What is the legal age in Indiana to get a tattoo?

06/20/2007 | Category » Minors  State » IN  #6557
What can I do about a 17 year old that refuses to live at home or go to school?

07/02/2007 | Category » Minors  State » KS  #6861
When is a child old enough to stay at home without a baby sitter?

I was just wondering when is a child old enough to stay home alone. I have a set of twins and I am a single mother. I cant afford child care and they think they are to old for a sitter. By law is there an age that they must be to stay home alone?

07/08/2007 | Category » Minors  State » WA  #6994

Until a children reach the age of majority, children are owed a general duty of supervision to...

What is the legal age at which a person can be left alone in a home overnight?

09/09/2007 | Category » Minors  State » FL  #8552
If I am 17 and have a baby can I move in with my boyfriend without my parents permission?

I am 17 years old and I have a 3 month old baby. I want to move in with my boyfriend. Can my parents have the police bring me home? I have asked to have them sign an empancipation document and they refuse. My boyfriend is 19. They told me they will have him arrested for stat...

09/17/2007 | Category » Minors  State » NE  #8814
Is it legal for me to allow my 17 year old daughter to move to another state with her boyfriend?

I live in Florida and My 17 year old daughter wants to move to new jersey with her fiance. Is it legal for me to allow her to move?

09/18/2007 | Category » Minors  State » NJ  #8857
Is it legal for DHS to question my 6 year old at school without my permission or knowledge?

Is it legal for the Department of Children and Family Services to question my 6 year old child at her school without my permission or without my knowledge.

09/18/2007 | Category » Minors  State » FL  #8863
Can a child move out at 17 or do they need to be emancipated?

Can a child at 17 move out of their parents house (if it is okay with the parents) or does it have to be by emancipation? And if emancipation, does that nullify any insurance or inheritance that the child my have?

09/19/2007 | Category » Minors  State » LA  #8871
Can I force my daughter to move with us if she is only 17 and has a child?

I have a 17 year old daughter who has an 11 month old daughter. We (her step father and I) are in the process of moving from this area. The problem is, my daughter thinks she is emancipated here in Virginia because she is a parent herself. She says if we make her move with us, sh...

09/19/2007 | Category » Minors  State » VA  #8884

A child generally must be emancipated or reach the age of majority to be a party to a lawsuit ...

Can a child of sixteen be sued by his father?

09/19/2007 | Category » Minors  State » PA  #8888
At what age can a child decide who to live with?

At what age can a minor request different living arrangements. I.E. Lives with mother wants to live with father. This is in the state of wisconsin

09/21/2007 | Category » Minors  State » ALL  #8929
What can happen to me if my daughter who is a minor left home because she can not follow the rules?

I have a minor child(17) that refuses to live in my home. She will not allow me to do my job as a parent by following the rules of my home. I have lost control of her. I will not compromise with the simple rules of the home. She cannot live with these rules so she packed up and...

09/23/2007 | Category » Minors  State » ME  #8949
Can I decide who I want to live with if I am 15 years old?

If your parents are thinking about divorce, and one thinking of also leaving the state, as a 15 year old teen can you decide on which parent you want to stay with?

09/24/2007 | Category » Minors  State » WY  #8986
Once my niece turns 18 does she need her parents permission to withdraw from school?

My niece will be 18 in Oct. She wants to come back to her home state of Indiana to graduate from high school. Since she will be 18 isn't she allowed to come back on her own with out parental consent and withdrawal from school?

09/27/2007 | Category » Minors  State » SC  #9180
What are our legal rights to bring our 17 year old daughter home if she ran away?

My daughter turned 17 on Saturday and ran away from home the day after with her 19 year old boyfriend. We were not allowing them to date because he had dropped out of school two years ago and we did not feel he was a good influence on her. Our daughter attends a school, makes g...

09/27/2007 | Category » Minors  State » LA  #9183
What is the legal age to have minor home alone in California?

What is the legal age to have minor home alone in Los Angeles, CA. (only for a couple of hours after school until parent returns home from work)

09/27/2007 | Category » Minors  State » CA  #9194
What is the legal age of dating in Indiana?

What is the legal age of dating in Indiana. It doesn't involve sex or anything of that matter. I'm trying to find out if I can date a girl I like.

09/28/2007 | Category » Minors  State » IN  #9281
Is a minor emancipated once married in Virginia?

A soon-to-be 16 yr old neighbor girl is contemplating becoming emancipated. She's not married or in the military, and is not capable of supporting herself, so per VA state law, it doesn't appear that could happen. However, she and her 17 YO boyfriend are talking about marriag...

10/05/2007 | Category » Minors  State » VA  #9684
What age can a child legally leave home so that the parents are no longer responsible for them?

10/17/2007 | Category » Minors  State » WA  #10445
Is it illegal for a 16 year old male and a 17 year female to engage in sexual activity?

10/18/2007 | Category » Minors  State » OR  #10485
Is it legal for me to date a girl that is 15 if I am 18?

I am 18 and want to date a girl that is 15. I will be 19 2 months before she turns 16. Is that ok or is illegal?

10/18/2007 | Category » Minors  State » MO  #10536
Can my parents keep me from leaving the house if I am already 19?

Can my parents keep me from leaving the house if i'm already 19 and I do not want to be with them anymore?

10/23/2007 | Category » Minors  State » AZ  #10819
What is the legal age to drop out of high school in the state of California?

10/25/2007 | Category » Minors  State » CA  #10955
What is the legal age to move out of your parents house?

10/25/2007 | Category » Minors  State » NM  #10966
What is the charge for contributing to the dilequency of a minor who commited a sex act?

What is the charge for contributing to the dilequency of a minor who commited a sex act while under your supervision? Does this carry a sentence of jail time?

10/26/2007 | Category » Minors  State » MS  #11011
What does the law say about teen curfew in the state of Michigan?

I'm doing a debate for my speech class on teen curfew and I'm against but I need facts. I would like to know what does the law say about teen curfew in the state of michigan and can you give me some advice about some of the reasons teen curfew isn't all that good of an Idea dispi...

10/27/2007 | Category » Minors  State » MI  #11060
What age can a child decide to spend more time with the noncustodial parent?

What age can a child decide to spend more time with the noncustodial parent even if there is a joint custody agreement?

10/29/2007 | Category » Minors  State » NM  #11222
Can a sixteen year old date a twenty four year old legally as long as there is no sexual contact?

11/01/2007 | Category » Minors  State » TX  #11433
In Texas can a 20 year old male be charged with statutory rape if his girlfriend is 17 years of age?

In Texas can a 20 year old male be charged with statutory rape if his girlfriend is 17 years of age? I've been reading that the age of consent in Texas is 17 but I would really appreciate a dirext answer also could the parents of the 17 year old press statutory rape charges on th...

11/02/2007 | Category » Minors  State » TX  #11453
What is the legal age for a child to stay at home alone?

What is the legal age for a child to stay at home alone. My girlfriend and I are concerned about another friend and her son who is 10 years old being left home alone.

11/02/2007 | Category » Minors  State » WI  #11500
If I am 18 is dating a 15 year old legal?

I am 15 and this kid that I like is 18 are we allowed to date as long a thier is no sexual intercouse going on?

11/06/2007 | Category » Minors  State » NH  #11755
What is the legal age of females to date if I am 20 years old?

11/09/2007 | Category » Minors  State » MO  #11955
I am 21 years old and I wanted to know if it would be illegal for me to date a 16 year old?

11/09/2007 | Category » Minors  State » ID  #11969
Can Minor Child Get Married Without Written Consent of Both Parents

Can my sixteen year old daughter get married with the written consent of only one parent when joint custody is involved?

11/12/2007 | Category » Minors  State » MO  #12068
What is legal age of consent for sex?

What is legal age of consent for sex?

11/12/2007 | Category » Minors  State » NY  #12113
What age is considered legal in North Carolina in regarding to dating and relationships?

I am 18 and my boyfriend is 23 is that legal?? I also wanted to ask I have a friend and she is 17 and she is dating my boyfriend's brother and he is 20. She wants to have sex, but he does not because he is afraid he will get in trouble. My friends mom does not care if they have s...

11/13/2007 | Category » Minors  State » NC  #12209
What is needed for minors to marry in Louisiana?

My fiance is 17 and we live in Louisiana. we know that she can move out at 17 and were about to do that but we want to get married and we wanted to know if we can just go do it or if shed have to get emancipated, if so how would we go about doing that? (her dad most likely won't ...

11/18/2007 | Category » Minors  State » LA  #12465
Is there a way for me to get married without my parents consent if I am only 16?

I'm 16 and pregnant with my boyfriend's kid. We would like to get married, but my mom won't allow it. How would we be able to get married without her permission and still have it be legal?

11/20/2007 | Category » Minors  State » WI  #12611
Is my son guilty of contributing to the delinquency of a minor?

My son was at a friend's house watching football one Sunday afternoon. He is 24 years old and both his friends are 26. While her was there two 14 year olds come in and the one who rents the apartment gave her a drink. The police came up later to ask the renter some questions a...

11/24/2007 | Category » Minors  State » TN  #12772
What is the legal age to consent to have sex?

11/24/2007 | Category » Minors  State » KS  #12782
Is it legal for a 17 year old to have sex with a 15 in Michigan?

11/29/2007 | Category » Minors  State » MI  #13031
Can a 20 year old have sex with a 17 year old if it is consensual?

12/03/2007 | Category » Minors  State » OR  #13292
When a minor is pregnant, what are the laws regarding their care and the baby's care?

I AM A NURSE AND HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT EMANCIPATION OF MINORS. WHEN A MINOR IS PREGNANT WHAT ARE THE LAWS REGARDING THEIR RIGHTS REGARDING THEIR SELF AND THEIR HEALTH CARE. DOES THAT CHANGE AFTER THEY DELIVER? DO THEY BECOME EMANCIPATED WHILE THEY ARE PREGNANT? DO THEY HAVE RIGH...

12/09/2007 | Category » Minors  State » KY  #13608
What are the laws concerning dating between a 22 year old and a 16 year old?

What are the laws concerning dating between a 22 year old and a 16 year old? And I am talking about just dating, no sexual contact.

12/21/2007 | Category » Minors  State » IN  #14246
What is the minimum age requirement to apply for a license to give tattoos?

12/31/2007 | Category » Minors  State » TX  #14369
If a teen runs away in Georgia, will authorities bring her back to Georgia?

If a 16 year old is in the welfare system in Georgia, leaves the State of Georgia, and is considered a runaway, will Georgia law officials come after her and take her back to Georgia?

02/01/2009 | Category » Minors  State » MD  #15118
Would being emancipated help our teen daughter obtain financial aid?

My daughter is 19 years old and attends college in California. We are not receiving financial aid. We thought it might help her financially if she became emancipated from us; therefore, could get financial aid on her own to help pay her tuition. Would this help her and how woul...

02/10/2009 | Category » Minors  State » CA  #15218
Getting MIP removed from record

My daughter received a MIP in her dorm room in 2004. She was 18. Can she petition to get it removed from her record?

03/10/2009 | Category » Minors  State » MI  #15514
Who is responsible for damage caused by children while at school?

What if your child is at school during school hours in the playground, and throws some rocks along with another boy, and hits a teachers car, not intentionally, am I (the parent) responsible for any damages to the car, whether big or small?

04/21/2009 | Category » Minors  State » GA  #16080
Can the court legally bind my son's compliance order past the age of majority?

My minor child committed 4 public intoxication violations and is in juvenile drug court for over 1 year now. He turns 18 in April of 2008. The court has extended his compliance past age 18. If he decides that he no longer wants to comply, can the court hold him past the age of ma...

04/27/2009 | Category » Minors  State » ALL  #16208
What rights do I have to force my teen daughter to live at home until of age?

My 17 year old daughter does not want to live at home because we will not let her drink or smoke. A friends mother said she can move in with her? What rights do we have as parents to keep the child in our home?

05/11/2009 | Category » Minors  State » SC  #16638
Do Parents Have to Pay the Debt of a Child Who Was Tricked Into a Modeling Contract?

My son, wife and I are on a student checking account. The account was opened in California but the offense happened in North Carolina. My son deposited a check and the bank put a 1 day hold on the check. The next day he took the money out and sent it Western Union in a scam to...

01/30/2011 | Category » Minors  State » NC  #24112
What are the laws for abandonment of a child in Alabama?

What is the law for Abandonment of a minor child?

03/30/2012 | Category » Minors  State » AL  #25645