Name Change Legal Questions & Answers

Category: Name Change
How do I change my son's name to his biological father's last name?

I was separated and had a child that was not the product of my marriage. The state of New Jersey required that the child have my last name. Since I was not legally divorced, the child had to take my now ex-husband's last name. What documents do I need to change the child's last n...

01/03/2007 | Category » Name Change  State » NJ  #58
Can I legally change my son's name to mine since he is not involved with his father?

My son resides with me full time. His father has only seen him twice in six years. Is there any way to have my son's legal name changed to be the same as mine since his real father is not involved in his life?

01/09/2007 | Category » Name Change  State » AL  #275
Can my wife and I change her son's name without the biological father's consent?

My twelve year old son's biological father has been incarcerated for the majority of his life. I have provided for my son for nine years with little to no child support (no more than 1000 dollars) from the father. There is no steady contact from his father and he has expressed no...

01/12/2007 | Category » Name Change  State » NY  #386
How do I restore my name to by birth name and not my adopted name?

I was adopted at 14 yrs and given the name of my stepfather. Is there an easier, quicker process of restoring my original name as opposed to going through a "name change"?

02/01/2007 | Category » Name Change  State » HI  #920
What is the legal way to go about changing the name of my church?

What is the legal way to go about changing the name of my church (a nonprofit corporation) to a different name?

02/01/2007 | Category » Name Change  State » GA  #961
How do I force my ex-wife to change her last name?

I was recently divorced and want my former wife to take my last name out of her name, but she doesn't want to. Do I have the legal right to force her to?

02/01/2007 | Category » Name Change  State » WA  #971
Can having judgements against me in civil court hinder me changing my name?

I am not trying to evade my responsibilities of paying my bills, but I have a couple of claims in civil court that are also on my credit report. Can this hinder the process of a name change?

02/01/2007 | Category » Name Change  State » NY  #1377
Can I take my maiden name's original form back once divorced?

I signed my divorce papers on November 29th and am curious as to whether I can change my name back to my traditional family's last name which is slightly different from my maiden name. When my family came to this country, the first two letters of the last name were "dropped," and...

02/08/2007 | Category » Name Change  State » TX  #497
How can I get child support for biological father if children have my deceased husband's last name?

I am from New Orleans, and I am here in California because of Katrina. My two girls were born while I was married, but the biological father is not the man I was married to. The man to whom I was married died in Katrina. I would like my daughters to have my last name. I also am s...

02/08/2007 | Category » Name Change  State » CA  #549
How do I restore my name to my birth name if I was adopted?

I was adopted at 14 yrs and given the name of my stepfather. Is there an easier, quicker process of restoring my original name as opposed to going through a "name change"?

02/13/2007 | Category » Name Change  State » HI  #685
How do I legally change my birth name to my nickname?

How and what form do I need to legally change my birth name Gertrudis, to my nickname Trudy. Some people even call me Gertrude, which is causing trouble and is confusing when I do business or travel.

02/16/2007 | Category » Name Change  State » IL  #733
Do I have to be divorced before I can legally change my name?

I am legally separated from my husband and want to resume my maiden name as soon as possible. In Virginia, when would I be able to change it. If it makes a difference, he was charged and pleaded guilty to 2 separate Class 3 Felonies and is incarcerated.

03/16/2007 | Category » Name Change  State » VA  #1606
If mother and father were never married can child's name be changed to same as fathers?

In the case of name change of a minor child, what is considered to be in the best interest of the child when the father wishes the child to have his last name? Mother and Father were never married.

03/16/2007 | Category » Name Change  State » TX  #1633
How do I change my name to that of my boyfriend with whom I live with?

I would like to get my last name changed to the same as my boyfriend, which whom I've lived with for four years. Can I do this through the courts?

03/23/2007 | Category » Name Change  State » TX  #2082
How old does the minor have to be to get their last name changed?

How old does the minor have to be to get their last name changed?

03/26/2007 | Category » Name Change  State » PA  #1528
What is needed to change my grandson's last name to our last name?

I have legal custody of my minor grandson for 6 years. He wants and we would like to change his last name to ours as his father does not support or have any contact with him. He only occupied a home with him for six weeks. My Grandson is 9 and has lived with us for all those yea...

03/28/2007 | Category » Name Change  State » MD  #2248
Can an ex-spouse change the name of a minor without the other spouse's permission?

Can an ex-spouse change the name of a minor without the other spouse's permission?

03/29/2007 | Category » Name Change  State » AR  #2305
If I am in college and change my name will it change on my transcript?

Right now I am in college. If I use your product to change my last name would it also change on my College transcrips, loans, and other things amoung those lines? Or will there be other steps involved?

03/30/2007 | Category » Name Change  State » NC  #2358
How do I change my son's last name to mine if I never married his father who is not involved?

What are the laws on a minor name change. I was never married to the father and I gave my son his last name. I am now married and having a baby and I want my son to have the same last name as us. He doesn't see his real dad at all.

04/02/2007 | Category » Name Change  State » MI  #2493
How do I make legal changes to my birth certificate?

How do I make first, middle, name changes my to certificate birth?

04/03/2007 | Category » Name Change  State » LA  #2539
Does Nevada recognize the "Usage method" for name change?

Does Nevada recognize the "Usage method" for name change?

04/03/2007 | Category » Name Change  State » NV  #2541
Can I change my son's last name without his father's consent if he signed the birth certificate?

I was wondering if I can change my son's last name if his father signed the birth certificate? We were never married and I gave the baby his last name. Now I am about to have another baby and I want them both to have my(mother's) last name.

04/03/2007 | Category » Name Change  State » MI  #2574
What can I do if my name is misspelled on my birth certificate?

What can I do if my name is misspelled on my birth certificate?

04/06/2007 | Category » Name Change  State » AL  #2730
If I change my daughter's last name can her biological father be left off the birth certificate?

I have a child who will soon be 16. Her biological father has not been in her life since she was a year and a half, and he passed away eight years ago. My husband wants to adopt her but money is short. Due to some very unpleasant things that her biological father did to both o...

04/10/2007 | Category » Name Change  State » OK  #2868
If I change my last name to my married name can I still use my maiden name professionally?

I have been happily married for 8 years and kept my maiden name. Now I have 2 girls and want the same last name as my family, but professionally I want to keep my maiden name.

04/11/2007 | Category » Name Change  State » MA  #2957
How do I legally change my last name?

I am a divorced mother, carrying my ex spouses last name. I recently had a baby, who has her father's last name. I was considering changing my last name to hers, instead of my maiden name, is this legally possible?

04/13/2007 | Category » Name Change  State » MA  #3051
How do I change my name back to my maiden name if the final decree does not address it?

I am recently divorced (March 5, 2007). All of my paperwork up to my final decree states that I will be assuming my maiden name back, but my lawyer somehow forgot to put it into the final decree paperwork. The court said that I can file a nunc pro tunc to get this corrected. I...

04/13/2007 | Category » Name Change  State » OH  #3058
If you are not a US citizen can you legally chang your name?

If you are not born in the US and wanna change name, what documentation is required?

04/13/2007 | Category » Name Change  State » MO  #3085
If I have an outstanding warrant in another state would my petition for name change be denied?

Considering changing name in Oregon. I have an outstanding warrant in Maryland for a non felony possession from 2005. Wondering if this will be automatic denial of petion.

04/17/2007 | Category » Name Change  State » OR  #3160
How do I change my name back to the one on my birth certificate?

The last name that I have been using since birth in school and everywhere else is the last name of my biological father. However recently found out that on my birth certificate it lists my last name as my mother's maiden name and no father. How do I change it as an adult because,...

04/20/2007 | Category » Name Change  State » NJ  #3223
Can I change my mother's name on my birth certificate to list my step mother?

Can I change my mothers name on my birth certificate to my step mothers name? I have never met my birth mother and have lived with my step mother since I was 2 and she is the only mother I have know. I am 18 years old and want to do this for myself.

04/29/2007 | Category » Name Change  State » OH  #3413
Can I change my children's name to their stepfathers without thier biological father's consent?

I am a British citizen living with my husband who is American in Arkansas. Both of my children, aged 8 and 11, are British as my husband is there stepfather. Can we legally change their names to there stepfather's name. We have no contact with their birth father as he left when t...

05/03/2007 | Category » Name Change  State » AR  #3640
How do I change my son's last name to his father's name once we are married?

I have a 3 part question for you: 1. When my son was born I gave him my last name on his birth certificate. The father and I plan to get married and I would like to change my son's name to his father's last name. Does it make it easier or less expensive to change it before or...

05/03/2007 | Category » Name Change  State » NV  #3655
When am I required to change my driver's license if my name has changed?

I just legally changed my last name from Smith back to Jones. Double name was causing too much confusion. Smith is the last name of my 1st husband and my 6 children. I'm still married to Jones. Question is: Am I Mrs. or Ms?? Probate court couldn't give me an answer. They said I'm...

05/11/2007 | Category » Name Change  State » MA  #4511
What would the reason for my name change be if I just wanted a new name?

I would like to legally change my whole name, but do not know what reason to give for my request. I am not trying to elode payment of any kind.

05/22/2007 | Category » Name Change  State » AZ  #5623
Can we put baby's father on the birth certificate without giving the baby his last name?

My daughter (16 yrs old) is expecting a baby in December. My daughter and the baby's father want to continue to date and he wants to be a part of the baby's life. My question is.. Can we put him on the birth Certificate as the father without giving the baby his last name? And ...

05/24/2007 | Category » Name Change  State » AR  #5868

As long as not done with wrongful intent, such as to defraud creditors, it is generally accept...

I took my husband's name upon marriage, it is not hyphenated. I actually have 2 last names i.e. name name, without a hyphentaion. I wanted to use my maiden name for business & to sign a copyright contract. Can I do that? Or do I have to use my new married name? I wanted to wo...

09/07/2007 | Category » Name Change  State » NY  #8525
How do I get my birth certificate to match my social security card to renew my driver's license?

My Social Security card has Jr. after my name and also my drivers license has it, however my Birth Certificate does not. The dmv. wont renew my license and wont tell me how to rectify it. What should I do?

09/18/2007 | Category » Name Change  State » NJ  #8843
What is defined as one's legal name?

What is defined as one's legal name? This is in regards to the Federal I.D. Act of 2005, renewing driver's license. The individual has been called by her middle name since birth while most legal documents are signed using her middle name, maiden family name and husband's family...

09/19/2007 | Category » Name Change  State » AL  #8876
Is there a time limit for me to change my name once married?

I reside in California. My fiancee and I are going to be married in the next few months in a civil ceremony, and then have a big wedding in about a year and a half. I do not want to change my name until we have the big wedding. Is there a time limit on name changes, due to mar...

09/24/2007 | Category » Name Change  State » CA  #9002
How do I get my son's name spelled right on his birth certificate?

How do I get my son's name spelled right on his birth certificate?

09/25/2007 | Category » Name Change  State » GA  #9028
Can a bill collector legally change your name on your credit report?

If I change my name can the collector change it in the system or do they have to make my new name an AKA or NKA since the debt was incurred under another name?

10/05/2007 | Category » Name Change  State » OH  #9708
Where do I need to go to change my last name and how much does it cost?

Where do I need to go to change my last name and how much does it cost?

11/01/2007 | Category » Name Change  State » FL  #11391
What is the process to change your name?

Can a person change their name on their own, and just start using it or do they have to do this by the courts?

11/04/2007 | Category » Name Change  State » MA  #11579
How do I change my son's last name to mine since his mother was married when he was born?

I need to change the name of five year old boy to take my last name. The boy was born while the mother was still married to ex-husband and therefore carries his last name. I am the biological father. The boy and mother now live with me.

12/16/2008 | Category » Name Change  State » NJ  #14816
If my son changes his last name will that effect the order for child support?

My son would like to include my maiden name in with his father's last name. His father is an absentee parent and my father is pretty much whom he considers his 'father'. How will that affect the custody agreement? The biological father lives in Louisiana and we live in New Jersey...

01/14/2009 | Category » Name Change  State » NJ  #14991
What are the requirements to change my name to my husband's last name?

I was married in 2002 in Michigan and now live in New York City. After 6 years, I now want to change my last name to my husband's family name. In New York State, do I need to obtain a legal court document or can I just change my name according to usage, i.e. change my name in a...

01/16/2009 | Category » Name Change  State » NY  #15012
Can I complete paperwork to have my godson's name changed to mine as he as requested?

I'm writing to you in behalf of my best friend whose son is going to be 16 years old this coming November. Her son, which is my godson, wants to change his last name because his father was never around. The birth certificate does not have his father's name because his father and ...

01/18/2009 | Category » Name Change  State » NY  #15022
How do I change my name back to my birth name if my mother never legally changed it in 1947?

I was born in 1944. My birth Certificate has my birth name. When my mother re-married in 1947 she never changed my last name legally but gave me my step-father's last name. I have been known by that last name since. I want to go back to my birth name on my birth certificate. ...

01/31/2009 | Category » Name Change  State » CA  #15114
How do I get my name legally changed back to my birth name?


02/06/2009 | Category » Name Change  State » VA  #15180
Is Parental Notification or Approval Required for Name Change of Minor?

I have two minor children ages 14 and 17 who have no relationship with their father. I would like to change their last name to my maiden name. Would I have to notify their fathers or can I do it without their approval? How does this work?

02/11/2009 | Category » Name Change  State » NY  #15229
What is the process to have my name changed if I am a widow taking back my maiden name?

I am a widow, and I would like to change my married name back to my maiden name, what is the process for me to do that? I don't understand why I have to pay to change my name when all I have to show my husband is deceased, and I no longer am married. Does not make sense to me. ...

03/04/2009 | Category » Name Change  State » CA  #15430
Is it legal to use my middle name on legal documents since it is what I have always used?

I have been going by my middle name (Maya) rather than my given name (Christine) for many years now. To what extent may I state my middle name as my given name on identity documents such as passports, driver licenses, social security cards, etc. or official documents? I am also ...

03/06/2009 | Category » Name Change  State » WA  #15462
Is it legal to have a name change with the original and new name or just an alias?

Is it legal to have a name change with the original and new name or just an alias?

03/06/2009 | Category » Name Change  State » NY  #15463
What do I need to do to change my last name to my husbands?

I am from the Philippines but now a Permanent Resident. I got married in 2004 but did not change my last name during that time. Now, I have decided to change my last name with my husband's last name. What do I need to do in order to have this done? Which process should I foll...

03/12/2009 | Category » Name Change  State » FL  #15611
How do I now change my name to my married name?

I got married in May 2004 in Knoxville TN. At the time I did not change my name. Now, I live in New York City and would like to change my last name to my husband's. Do I have to use the 'regular' name change kit for New York city, or I can still use the official bride name change...

03/16/2009 | Category » Name Change  State » NY  #15642
How do I change my name and my children's name back to our birth name?

I need to know how to go about changing my name back to my birth name, along with my children's names, as soon as possible. The problem is that I am currently residing outside the U.S. working. What steps can I take?

03/16/2009 | Category » Name Change  State » GA  #15648
if I legally changed my name, how do I force the college I attended to change it as well?

I legally changed my name, but Hometown Community College is refusing to change my records (I have an Associates Degree). This is the answer from the College. Mr. Smith - Your e-mail below has been forwarded to me for reply. I believe I understand why you are requesting to...

03/26/2009 | Category » Name Change  State » FL  #15780
What to do to change my name legally?

What to do to change my name legally?

04/01/2009 | Category » Name Change  State » VA  #15838
What is the process for name change in California?

I want to know how long the process to change my name takes. Actually, I live in Mexico and I need the services of a lawyer to help me with this process. My parents are Mexican and I was born there. A mistake was made on the Mexican birth certificate and I would like to have an ...

04/02/2009 | Category » Name Change  State » CA  #15858
Completing spouse name change with the same form

My husband and myself wish to change our family name from his (Moeller) to my maiden name (Hoyer). Neither of us carry a felony or credit problems. I will be changing my name from Thea Acacia Moeller to Thea Acacia Hoyer. My husband will also be changing his middle name, so he w...

04/13/2009 | Category » Name Change  State » LA  #15969
Even though I am married can I change my maiden name to its original spelling?

My sister and I have found out that we come from a Jewish background. Our maiden name had been shortened from the original. Although we are both married and have our husbands names we would like to change our maiden name back to the original. Is this possible ? Our parents are b...

04/14/2009 | Category » Name Change  State » ALL  #16000
Can I change my last name to that of the man I want to marry without a marriage license?

My husband and I were married in a private religious commitment ceremony but did not file for a marriage certificate to make the union 'legal' because his credit score is much lower than mine, and we don't want to damage my credit. We would prefer to wait to marry with a marriag...

04/16/2009 | Category » Name Change  State » NC  #16027
How do I obtain court record to see if someone legally changed their name?

I want to look into a family members new change of a middle name to see if it is legally changed. How can I go about doing that?

04/17/2009 | Category » Name Change  State » MN  #16037
What are the requirements to change my name if I have been living in another country?

I was a resident of the State of Ohio until 1992 when my husband was relocated on a project in the middle east. Therefore, I am currently a resident of the State of Qatar. My parents still reside in the state of Ohio where I spend my summer vacations with my children. I want to c...

04/24/2009 | Category » Name Change  State » OH  #16112
Is it a complicated and expensive process to keep changing my name?

After a divorce many years ago, instead of reverting to my maiden name, I completely dropped my surname and went by my first name only (by name change). I remarried a few years ago and also became a US citizen. At that time I adopted my husband's surname and my new passport ref...

04/28/2009 | Category » Name Change  State » ALL  #16324
Can my husband's ex-wife legally continue to use his last name?

My husband's ex-wife remarried and legally changed her name to her new husbands. They seperated and she started using my husband's last name again on the legal documents she was signing. The ex-wife is a closing agent for a title company and renewed her notary stamp with my husba...

04/28/2009 | Category » Name Change  State » ALL  #16325
I would like to change my last name

I would like to change my last name. I am married with one minor child whose name would remain the same. I would like to know what affect this would have on me legally.

04/28/2009 | Category » Name Change  State » ALL  #16333
How do I change my name now that I am divorced?

My divorce was final 8/10/07 but I did not opt to change my name at the time of the filing. Now I would like to change my name back to my maiden name. How do I do that?

04/29/2009 | Category » Name Change  State » AZ  #16384
What are the legal requirements to change your name?

I am a 32 year old male and I have wanted to change my name for over ten years. My fathers father was a pedophile who raped numerous girls, two being his own daughter and grand daughter. I happen to have his name. I have two kids from another marriage and this is not a ploy to a...

04/29/2009 | Category » Name Change  State » MA  #16417
I need a specific name change form from Clay County, Missouri

I have been searching and searching for the Clay County Name Change form for the circuit Court of Clay County. The circuit court does not provide these forms, nor will they tell me where I can access these forms. The form is specific to Clay County, Missouri. Can you direct me t...

04/30/2009 | Category » Name Change  State » MO  #16478
Do I need to change my Name on the Deed after having a name change?

My husband & I have two deeds held in joint tenancy. In 1998, I had my name legally changed in my county probate court. My name on the deeds themselves, however, was not changed. A local attorney here said I would not need to do new deeds. Rather, that I might want to 'get a...

04/30/2009 | Category » Name Change  State » ME  #16484
What should I do if my birth name was changed but never legally?

I was born with my legal birth name, but my mother changed the spelling. I have lived with the wrong name for 79 years. What should I do?

04/30/2009 | Category » Name Change  State » OK  #16495
I changed my children's names when they were small but never legally and now my son needs a passport

When my husband and I married in 1981, I had two small children. They assumed my husband's last name, however were not adopted by my husband, and never did a legal name change. One of my sons is now in the process of applying for a passport, and obtaining his birth certificate. O...

05/01/2009 | Category » Name Change  State » ALL  #16512
What is required to change my daughter's name legally?

I'd like to change my 15-year-old daughter's legal name. By mistake, Doe was supposed to be her second middle name not a part of her last name. We've had many inconvenience situation because of this (i.e. tax return, travel documents, school application, etc.). Is it possible? I...

05/04/2009 | Category » Name Change  State » MI  #16560
Can I have my first name changed when I change to my married last name?

I just got married and want to get rid of my first name and have my new name to be middle, maiden last, and married last name. Is this possible to do with the basic Social Security name change form and my marriage certificate at my local county Social Security Office? Do you kno...

05/07/2009 | Category » Name Change  State » GA  #16606
What are the requirements to legally change your name?

I am an international student with F1 visa status. I have been living in Toledo for 2 years now. I work as a teaching assistant and study in a graduate school. I would like to change my legal name to avoid the hate and harassment that I receive when people know that I am Arab or ...

05/11/2009 | Category » Name Change  State » OH  #16639
How can I change my step son's name to my last name without adoption?

My step son wants to change his surname to mine, his father has never supported him and has rarely contacted him, but still refuses to relinquish his rights. I have been there for him for over ten years. Can my wife and I change his name to our name?

05/19/2009 | Category » Name Change  State » TX  #16714
Where should I apply to have my name changed?

I was born in New York City and was married in Virginia. I have been divorced for 10 years and have been using my married name. I would like to go back to my maiden name. Should I do that in New York or Virginia?

05/19/2009 | Category » Name Change  State » NY  #16720
How do I have my daughter's last name changed since I was found to be the father?

I have a daughter that is 9 years old. At the time of her birth there was question of paternity because her mother was married to another man. The mother is since divorced from said husband, paternity was settled identifying myself as her father and I now have joint custody of my...

05/28/2009 | Category » Name Change  State » TN  #16800
How Do I Change My Name in Georgia?

I got married in 2006 and changed my surname to my husband's surname and my middle name to my maiden surname. This is the naming convention in the Philippines. At that time, I was still a US permanent resident. I had my social security, credit cards, bank accounts, insurance, ...

06/23/2009 | Category » Name Change  State » GA  #17135
Is a Parent Required to Consent to Name Change of Minor in Louisiana?

My ex-wife remarried and moved to Louisiana with my son. I live in Washington state. I have found evidence of a last name change for my son with out my consent. Can she do this? It is my son's identity and who he was when he was born. I never divorced my son.

07/05/2009 | Category » Name Change  State » LA  #17339
How Do I Get Records of My Name Change in New Jersey?

I had my name changed legally in the mid 90's. I lost all my important documents. I now need proof of my name change for a visa related issue. I was born in NYC but had the name changed in New Jersey while I was living there. How do I obtain a copy of my name change?

07/08/2009 | Category » Name Change  State » FL  #17383
How Do I Change My Name in Missouri?

I need to have my birth certificate amended to the name I have been using since childhood. I have my social security card, driver's license, taxes and was married as Aungelita all have my name. When ordered birth certificate name is different. I have on all legal documents used f...

07/28/2009 | Category » Name Change  State » MO  #17846
Do I Need to Reside in the US to Change My Name?

I am an American citizen, living oversea for 12 years and intending to change legal name, last state of residence is Texas. My question is do I need to go back to US to change my name or can I do this through on line or mailing, and if I had to go back can apply through any state...

08/03/2009 | Category » Name Change  State » TX  #17924