Real Property » Encroachment Legal Questions & Answers

How would I notify my neighbor that he is parking on my land since I had a survery done?

Is there a form or document that can be presented by Neighbor A , who has recently had his property surveyed, to Neighbor B notifying Neighbor B that he is, and has, been parking on Neighbor A’s property?

02/01/2007 | Category » Encroachment  State » FL  #994
Is there a form for use encroachment of property without permission?

A neighbor has built a fence on my property. This encroachment happened some time ago, and we both are aware of it. Now I want to sell the property. How do I go about this curing this encroachment and what kind of legal form must I use? I will give him first right of refusal of p...

02/08/2007 | Category » Encroachment  State » FL  #507
How do I force my neighbor to trim their trees that are causing damage to my property?

My neighbor who lives behind me has trees that are growing over onto my property. The trunk of one in particular is pushing on my new fence, which, in another year, will cause it damage. It's also grown into our service lines. My fence is less than a year old. Another trees br...

05/08/2007 | Category » Encroachment  State » CA  #4223
How can I make my neighbor cut his hedge back that is growing onto my property?

A neighbor has a hedge that originally was planted on his property several years ago. He let it grow out where it is clearly on my property. I have asked him many times to trim it back, and he refuses. I showed him a copy of my survey and showed him the property lines. He eve...

05/11/2007 | Category » Encroachment  State » FL  #4463

Survey equipment is much more accurate now than when many original government surveys were mad...

We recently obtained the survey of our property because we are having a new fence installed. Upon reviewing the survey we noticed a difference of one foot to our advantage between the survey and what the fence company measured with the existing fence. We would like to take adva...

05/17/2007 | Category » Encroachment  State » NY  #5103
Since you built your fence first and chose not to put it on the boundary line between your proper...

In April (2007), we had a fence put up in our backyard that is indented 6 inches inside our property line. Last month our neighbor put up a fence that is identical to ours, but did not totally enclose his backyard and is therefore benefiting form our fence. They say because neith...

07/08/2007 | Category » Encroachment  State » NJ  #6990
Does Neighbor Need Permission To Connect To Our Existing Fence

If my chain link fence is recessed 4' into our property, does my neighbor have the right to connect to my fence without my permission?

11/26/2008 | Category » Encroachment  State » AZ  #14725
What can we do about the tree's our neighbor's planted causing damage to our property?

The neighbors planted redwood trees over a water drain or culvert The trees are about one hundred feet tall and the tree branches are hanging over the fence by twelve feet our back yard is starting to sink causing damage to our cement patio. Were worried that the ground is satura...

04/26/2009 | Category » Encroachment  State » CA  #16139
How do I settled property line disputes with the neighbors after having a survey?

We recently had our property surveyed and found that our neighbours fence crossed onto our side of the property line, she had it built about 5 years ago. She offered to have it removed after the survey was done and surpisingly to us when we agreed it should be removed she retalia...

05/15/2009 | Category » Encroachment  State » WA  #16681
How can I force my messy neighbor's to clean the property?

About one year ago I bought the house I'm living in today. It's on a one and three quarter acre. The Eastern side borders some neighbors that are very messy and leave trash around on my property. Also there's a shed that's full of their junk. Further more, the neighbor's brot...

05/15/2009 | Category » Encroachment  State » NC  #16685
How can I force my neighbor's to remove the fencing that has caused damage to my property?

I surveyed my property and then proceeded to build a fence which includes 10' of rocks up to my property line. The adjacent owners recently put a railroad tie wall right up to my old fence and knocked it down. They incorrectly piled up the railroad ties which are now knocking do...

05/19/2009 | Category » Encroachment  State » PA  #16703
How can I force my neighbor's to remove the wall encroaching on property?

A neighbor is putting up a 3 foot high wall that is clearly on my property as per my survey.What can I do to have him take it down ?

05/29/2009 | Category » Encroachment  State » NY  #16821
What is the Period for Adverse Possession in Michigan?

I have a neighbor who cleaned out the fence row between our fields 9 years ago. He then had it surveyed and without us knowing at the time put steel posts on our side of the line. Over the following 9 years he has moved over on our side a little more. So this year I had it survey...

07/02/2009 | Category » Encroachment  State » MI  #17319
How can I force my neighbor's to remove the garage encroaching on property?

We have property that was purchased with a 20 foot easement. We did now know where the easement was until we had a survey completed. Neighbors garage is on the easement by approximately 12 feet. We have sent a letter from us to figure out how to correct the problem with no respo...

07/10/2009 | Category » Encroachment  State » WA  #17475
Who Is Responsible for Rebuilding Boundary Wall if Encroachment Exists?

I recently purchased a home in Las Cruces in January 2009 which had boundary walls built around three sides of the property. I was just recently informed that one of the walls adjacent to a vacant lot in which the builder desires to build a new home was built beyond the actual p...

07/12/2009 | Category » Encroachment  State » NM  #17497
Can I Get Damages for Landscaping Costs of Encroaching Area?

I landscaped a strip of land which was on my side of my neighbor's fence. The neighbor and I both thought it was my land. 2-3 days later, he came over and told me it was his land. We agreed that I could remove the trees in two weeks (so they would not die). Shortly thereafter, I ...

07/21/2009 | Category » Encroachment  State » MA  #17688