Abandoned Property Legal Questions and Answers

My wife moved out of our marital house. Can I consider her personal items abandoned?

My wife moved out of our marital house 10-26-2015. She has left most of her personal items here since then. WE are working on a property settlement. However, there are many items that she has left here that are not on the list. She has access to the house 15 hours a week, but has not been here for over 3 months. Can any of this property be considered abandoned? Not that ...

04/20/2017   |   Category: Abandoned Property   |   State: Nebraska   |   #35998

According to the Vermont law, when do contents of safe deposit box become abandoned?

My boyfriend and I had kept some personal items in a safe deposit when we were dating. After our breakup, I asked my boyfriend to take his things away from the safe deposit, as I was the sole person paying for the safe deposit. He never responded to my reminders. Now after 3 years he has come back to get his things back. Isn't his property abandoned? Can I refuse to give his th...

04/20/2017   |   Category: Abandoned Property   |   State: Vermont   |   #35973

When can I as Landlord treat tenant's property presumed as abandoned?

I left my house a month ago. I could not pay the previous month and the following months rent to my landlord due to some personal problems. Is my property abandoned according to the abandoned property law?

04/19/2017   |   Category: Abandoned Property   |   State: West Virginia   |   #35906

How can I legally dispose of my manufactured home in NC?

How can I legally dispose of my manufactured home in NC? Am I liable for the costs if the government disposed of it? What happens if I didn't pay the cost for its disposal?

04/18/2017   |   Category: Abandoned Property   |   State: North Carolina   |   #35824

I found a Wrist Watch in a public place in Connecticut. Can I keep it?

I am living in Connecticut and yesterday I found a Wrist Watch (Emporio Armani) in a public place. I checked the nearby areas to find the owner but couldn't. In such circumstances, can I keep the watch till I find the owner? If after a reasonable time, the real owner is not traced, can I use the property?

04/12/2017   |   Category: Abandoned Property   |   State: Connecticut   |   #35560

Can a landlord sell his tenant’s abandoned mobile home and other personal properties in Alabama?

My tenant left his mobile home before 1 month. He has also not removed his bicycle, personal computer, tables, chairs, and some other items from the property. Can I sell those?

04/12/2017   |   Category: Abandoned Property   |   State: Alabama   |   #35554

Can a landlord sell a tenant’s abandoned personal property in Arizona?

My tenant left some of his valuable personal properties in the rented house before he left. He is not known for a year. He has rent arrears for 2 and half months too. Can I sell her personal properties so that I can adjust it to his outstanding rent?

04/12/2017   |   Category: Abandoned Property   |   State: Arizona   |   #35553

How long it will take to consider personal property as abandoned in Texas?

My father has left his laptop and some other valuable things in his friend’s house long ago. Thereafter, he didn't go there. It was before 4 years. Now I found that his friend is using all those. When I asked his friend to return those things, he told me that now the properties belong to him since my father abandoned it. I wanna know how long it will take to consider those pers...

04/11/2017   |   Category: Abandoned Property   |   State: Texas   |   #35479

Can I claim the money received from the sale of my abandoned car they sold at auction?

I’ve abandoned my car long ago. I found that the car was sold in an auction by the authorities two months back. Can I claim the money from the sale of my car from them?

03/28/2017   |   Category: Abandoned Property   |   State: West Virginia   |   #34707

What is the legal status of my non-operative savings deposit in a bank after five years?

I returned to Iowa after five years last week. While I was in Iowa, I had a savings deposit in a bank. However, I had no contact or transactions with the bank the last five years I was away. What is the legal status of my savings deposit in the bank?

02/06/2017   |   Category: Abandoned Property   |   State: Iowa   |   #31617