How Do I Transfer Title to a Spouse When the Car Owner Dies in Missouri?
Even if no Transfer on Death (TOD) beneficiary was named on the title, a surviving spouse or unmarried minor child may transfer ownership of a vehicle (limited to one vehicle) titled in the deceased owner's name without obtaining a probate order. The surviving spouse or minor child must obtain title in their name before assigning ownership to a purchaser.
To apply for title, the surviving spouse or minor child must submit the following items:
· A completed and signed Application for Missouri Title and License (Form 108) in the name of the surviving spouse or unmarried minor child;
· The certificate of title in the deceased's name, or with the deceased named as purchaser in the title assignment;
· A photocopy of the proof of death (such as a death certificate or obituary);
· A completed, signed and notarized Affidavit to Establish Title to Exempt Property (Form 2305) ; and
· The $11 fee ($8.50 title fee plus $2.50 processing fee).