Cohabitation Legal Questions and Answers

How Do I Prove I'm Not Cohabiting?

I live in smithfield virginia. I recieve money for spousal support recently moved in a home of my boyfriends cousin. How do I prove this is not cohabitiation? My friend takes the kids to school and church and comes over. He lives with his father how do I prove he doesn't live with me? Is there something I can do? I pay rent every month.

03/09/2011   |   Category: Cohabitation   |   State: Virginia   |   #24369

How Do I Protect Myself from a Palimony Suit by My Boyfriend?

I am a 58 year old single woman with substantial assets and a boyfriend the same age who has practically no assets. He has dinner and stays overnight at my house several nights a week though he maintains his own apartment. He keeps a toothbrush and shaving kit at my house, occasionally a shirt. I have been clear with him and our friends and my neighbors that I do not want to...

09/08/2009   |   Category: Cohabitation   |   State: Montana   |   #18523

What is the Definition of Cohabitation in Arkansas?

If my girlfriend were to spend the weekend with me at the lake in a separate cabin that was connected (like a duplex/apartment) while my kids and I stay in another cabin would that be considered cohabitating by Arkansas law? What is the definition of cohabitate in Arkansas?

06/29/2009   |   Category: Cohabitation   |   State: Arkansas   |   #17250

What is the legal definition of rent?

What is the legal definition of rent? I'm going through a divorce. I took in a housemate who is also going through a divorce. She helps with utilities and my mortgage. She does not pay me any money directly. There is no rental agreement, written or oral. My ex is claiming this is rent in order to increase support. Is this legally rent? Her attorney claims that the term r...

05/09/2009   |   Category: Cohabitation   |   State: California   |   #16622

Am I legally entitled to financial support from my domestic partner after a 12 year relationship?

My question is pertaining to Palimony, in simple terms, after a 12 year relationship, my domestic partner has decided he would like a much younger partner. In the 12yrs. I have given up everything I owned, including a business, to first raise his 4 children, and then to travel the country after I was diagnosed with CML, and HIV+. Now I am unable to draw SSA because of my past w...

05/05/2009   |   Category: Cohabitation   |   State: ALL   |   #16585

Do I have any rights to compensation from my partner of three years for ending the relationship?

What rights and/or compensation could a party be awarded in a common law union of 3 years that ended by one of the parties. Is there any financial responsibility on the part of the one who finished it? After giving up a very desirable job and home, I moved to a different county and now must return to begin anew, as well as look for a new dwelling. Moving expenses? New dwel...

04/29/2009   |   Category: Cohabitation   |   State: Florida   |   #16370

How do I protect equity in my new home in case live in relationship does not work out?

I am in the middle of selling my house which is under my name only. I am in the process of buying another home with my girlfriend who will be on the deed. I would like to protect the money I am putting towards the new home just in case something happens while in the new home. Do you have a form that may work for me?

03/19/2009   |   Category: Cohabitation   |   State: Florida   |   #15696

How to take someone off an Apartment Lease

My girlfriend and I broke up and she moved out. Her name is on the lease and she is refusing to give back her key to the house. She moved a month ago and still has property in the house. What can I do with her stuff and how can I get my key back?

03/13/2009   |   Category: Cohabitation   |   State: California   |   #15616

Can I recoup any of the money I put into the home that I cohabitated in?

I cohabitated with a woman in her home for 8 years and vested over $50,000.00 in home improvements, asphalt driveways, pole barns, interior improvements, attached garage with finished loft etc. Plus made mortgage payments for six 1/2 years. Can I recoup any of these costs?

02/09/2009   |   Category: Cohabitation   |   State: Minnesota   |   #15207

What are my rights if I never married but have lived as husband and wife for 13 years?

I have been with my boyfriend now for 23 years. We have 2 children, a home (that I keep clean )! I do everything. I clean, cook, wash, dinner, tend to the kids etc. We have lived together now for 13 years. If he decides to leave us one day what exactly am I entitled to? The house we live in is in his name, however we shopped together for the home. I'm a stay home mom and he t...

11/05/2007   |   Category: Cohabitation   |   State: New Jersey   |   #11649