Which Form Can Be Used for a Living Will in Massachusetts?

Full Question:

I need a form to make a living will - I am divorced with two grown children.
09/16/2009   |   Category: Living Wills   |   State: Massachusetts   |   #18643


A living will is a document that allows a person to explain in writing which medical treatment he or she does or does not want during a terminal illness. A living will takes effect only when the patient is incapacitated and can no longer express his or her wishes. The will states which medical treatments may be used and which may not be used to die naturally and without the patient’s life being artificially prolonged by various medical procedures. The living will allows a person to make the decision of whether life-prolonging medical or surgical procedures are to be continued, withheld, or withdrawn, as well as when artificial feeding and fluids are to be used or withheld.

A health care power of attorney authorizes an agent to make health care decisions for the incapacitated person. It is limited in scope to health care decisions. A general or financial power of attorney may be used to authorize an agent handle financial matters.

MA-P020 is a form that allows you to appoint a health care agent as well as containing a living will that expresses your wishes for life-sustaining treatment to be provided or not. We can assist you with searching to locate forms or we can draft add forms you may need to our database. However, we cannot advise you to use one particular form over another that address the same matter. We can show you what is available. You can take a look at the forms below and see if they fit your need. If they do not, let me know and we may be able to add a form for your need. You may order a form or package by phone by calling Toll Free: 1-(877) 389-0141 - 8:30-5:00 Central Time Zone Monday – Friday.