Can a life tenant convey his or her interest to the remainder?

Full Question:

My mother left my father a life estate to her property and upon his death the property is transferred to me and my siblings. Can my father to a quit claim deed prior to death and transfer the property to us? He wants nothing to do with the property and has never lived there.
05/26/2017   |   Category: Real Property   |   State: Washington   |   #37908


Yes. If he conveys the interest to the people named as remainder persons then the life estate ends.