Real Property » Encroachment Legal Questions and Answers

Can I Get Damages for Landscaping Costs of Encroaching Area?

I landscaped a strip of land which was on my side of my neighbor's fence. The neighbor and I both thought it was my land. 2-3 days later, he came over and told me it was his land. We agreed that I could remove the trees in two weeks (so they would not die). Shortly thereafter, I received a letter from a lawyer saying the trees were now theirs and I could not remove them. Can I ...

07/21/2009   |   Category: Real Property » Encroachment   |   State: Massachusetts   |   #17688

Who Is Responsible for Rebuilding Boundary Wall if Encroachment Exists?

I recently purchased a home in Las Cruces in January 2009 which had boundary walls built around three sides of the property. I was just recently informed that one of the walls adjacent to a vacant lot in which the builder desires to build a new home was built beyond the actual property rights of my home by approximately 3 foot at one end extending to the agreed to common point...

07/12/2009   |   Category: Real Property » Encroachment   |   State: New Mexico   |   #17497

How can I force my neighbor's to remove the garage encroaching on property?

We have property that was purchased with a 20 foot easement. We did now know where the easement was until we had a survey completed. Neighbors garage is on the easement by approximately 12 feet. We have sent a letter from us to figure out how to correct the problem with no response. Where do we go from here? Can we file a motion on our own? We do not have money for attorney f...

07/10/2009   |   Category: Real Property » Encroachment   |   State: Washington   |   #17475

What is the Period for Adverse Possession in Michigan?

I have a neighbor who cleaned out the fence row between our fields 9 years ago. He then had it surveyed and without us knowing at the time put steel posts on our side of the line. Over the following 9 years he has moved over on our side a little more. So this year I had it surveyed and found out that he was on our side. He now states that he has the right to maintain 2 feet on ...

07/02/2009   |   Category: Real Property » Encroachment   |   State: Michigan   |   #17319

How can I force my neighbor's to remove the wall encroaching on property?

A neighbor is putting up a 3 foot high wall that is clearly on my property as per my survey.What can I do to have him take it down ?

05/29/2009   |   Category: Real Property » Encroachment   |   State: New York   |   #16821

How can I force my neighbor's to remove the fencing that has caused damage to my property?

I surveyed my property and then proceeded to build a fence which includes 10' of rocks up to my property line. The adjacent owners recently put a railroad tie wall right up to my old fence and knocked it down. They incorrectly piled up the railroad ties which are now knocking down my new fence. All of their railroad ties are now on my property and causing damage to my new fenc...

05/18/2009   |   Category: Real Property » Encroachment   |   State: Pennsylvania   |   #16703

How can I force my messy neighbor's to clean the property?

About one year ago I bought the house I'm living in today. It's on a one and three quarter acre. The Eastern side borders some neighbors that are very messy and leave trash around on my property. Also there's a shed that's full of their junk. Further more, the neighbor's brother (who built the house that I'm in) has a mobile home parked on my land that is packed full of his...

05/15/2009   |   Category: Real Property » Encroachment   |   State: North Carolina   |   #16685

How do I settled property line disputes with the neighbors after having a survey?

We recently had our property surveyed and found that our neighbours fence crossed onto our side of the property line, she had it built about 5 years ago. She offered to have it removed after the survey was done and surpisingly to us when we agreed it should be removed she retaliated and told us she wanted less than 2 sq. feet of our concrete driveway removed which lapses onto h...

05/15/2009   |   Category: Real Property » Encroachment   |   State: Washington   |   #16681

What can we do about the tree's our neighbor's planted causing damage to our property?

The neighbors planted redwood trees over a water drain or culvert The trees are about one hundred feet tall and the tree branches are hanging over the fence by twelve feet our back yard is starting to sink causing damage to our cement patio. Were worried that the ground is saturated with water in winter and the trees could fall on top of our house which is only twenty feet from...

04/26/2009   |   Category: Real Property » Encroachment   |   State: California   |   #16139

Does Neighbor Need Permission To Connect To Our Existing Fence

If my chain link fence is recessed 4' into our property, does my neighbor have the right to connect to my fence without my permission?

11/26/2008   |   Category: Real Property » Encroachment   |   State: Arizona   |   #14725