Real Property » Homestead Legal Questions and Answers

What Are the Homestead Laws in Montana?

I have a homestead in Montana and a judgement for $600,000 in Texas. I would like to sell my Homestead - Home, and if I do so, will the Judgement be exempt against the homestead proceeds?

08/18/2011   |   Category: Real Property » Homestead   |   State: Montana   |   #25362

What are the Legal Problems Associated With Renting Property to a Relative?

We are purchasing a new home and will be allowing our daughter to live in an pay the mortgage on our current home until a future sale time. Is there any legal issues we need to address and what about homesteading issues? I keep getting different information and I am not sure what the correct thing to do is...Thanks, Kathy

08/09/2011   |   Category: Real Property » Homestead   |   State: Michigan   |   #25303

Does a Life Estate Qualify for a Homestead Exemption?

In Missouri, does a life estate qualify for the homestead exemption for property taxes as long as the life estate interest is shown on the deed?

07/15/2011   |   Category: Real Property » Homestead   |   State: Missouri   |   #25182

What are the Residency Requirements for a Homestead Exemption in Florida?

can two pepole married owning a home in maine legally take a homestead tax exemption in the state of fl by saying one lives in fl 6months or more. the wife stays in maine still working

04/04/2011   |   Category: Real Property » Homestead   |   State: ALL   |   #24566

What is the Homestead Law in Arizona?

We are on the verge of foreclosure due to layoffs. I have been unable to get employment for 13 months, my husband was laid off for 6 months and finally was employed 2 weeks ago. We have always paid our debts on time and have a good credit rating. We can no longer pay our mortgage, vehicle payments, insurance, etc. We have maxed out the 3 credit cards we have, sold what we c...

09/07/2009   |   Category: Real Property » Homestead   |   State: Arizona   |   #18476

Can a homestead property be used to secure collateral if someone defaults on the loan?

A guy wants to borrow $100,000 from me and use his home and 10 acres for collateral. His property and home are certainly worth at least $100,000 but I was not sure if I would be able to take ownership of the property if it was a homestead, if he defaulted on our loan?

04/29/2009   |   Category: Real Property » Homestead   |   State: ALL   |   #16470

What is a homestead waiver?

Does signing a homestead waiver mean that I am signing away my rights to our house (in case of divorce and/or spouse's death), given that the loan is in my husband's name only?

04/29/2009   |   Category: Real Property » Homestead   |   State: ALL   |   #16389

Since seperated and living apart, Can my wife and I both file for homestead exemption?

My wife and I are separated and living in 2 separate homes that we had built. We have both filed for homestead exemptions on property taxes as we live apart. Will we each get the exemption while still married or do we have to divorce? Also, is there a time frame that we would have to change our marital status in a given year, if necessary?

04/28/2009   |   Category: Real Property » Homestead   |   State: Mississippi   |   #16273

Does a Recorded Homestead Exemption protect certain cash value in the event of foreclosure?

Does a Recorded Homestead Exemption protect certain cash value for the owner in a foreclosure action?

04/27/2009   |   Category: Real Property » Homestead   |   State: ALL   |   #16162

If we lose our business, can the bank take our homestead?

We have 2 homes; the one we live in is homesteaded. We are self employed. If we lose our business, can the bank take both homes or just the one that is non-homestead? We heard that the house has be be at a minium value for them to go after it. What is the law?

04/23/2009   |   Category: Real Property » Homestead   |   State: Minnesota   |   #16097