Is a Rebate By a Contractor Reportable as Income?

Full Question:

As a General Contractor, is it legal to give a rebate on a product and installation sale back to the customer without giving a 1099. The amount is over $600
02/13/2012   |   Category: Taxes   |   State: California   |   #25616


The answer will depend on all the facts involved and whether the IRS interprets the payment as income. Please see the publication below for a list of the exceptions to income. For example, one exception is a payment that is for replacement of capital, such as damages paid to a buyer by a contractor who failed to complete construction of a building, then it must be included as miscellaneous income on form 1099. We are prohibited from giving tax advice, as this service provides information of a general legal nature. I suggest you consult a local accountant who can review all the facts and documents involved or see the taxpayer assistance information at:,,id=147000,00.html

See also: