Civil Actions » Defamation Legal Questions & Answers

How do I file a grievance against an assistant district attorney for defamation of character?

We want to file a grievance against an assistant district attorney for defamation of character and blatant lying and theatrics utilized in a case in which he served as prosecuting attorney. He went as far as calling me a forger and liar and anybody with our last name being nothi...

02/07/2007 | Category » Defamation  State » TX  #440
What can I do if I was threatened behind closed doors by a co-worker?

I am a realtor employed by a large firm and was unfairly treated by the acting assistant broker of my office at the time. I have since moved to another broker's office from the same firm. I was falsely accused 5 times for something I did not do (five different incidents). What ...

02/08/2007 | Category » Defamation  State » AL  #535
What is Arizona's law on slander?

What is Arizona's law on slander?

02/08/2007 | Category » Defamation  State » AZ  #543
Can I sue the restaurant owner for posting my insufficent check for public viewing if I paid it?

I had a bounced check at a restaurant. The owner made a copy of it and posted it outside the entrance for everyone to see as they walked in the front door. I called her several times and told her I would take care of the check if she took it down. She refused. I got a letter f...

03/27/2007 | Category » Defamation  State » CA  #2209
What recourse do I have if someone is slandering my name professionally?

I lease out space on behalf of an antique mall. The lease agreement includes a provision about maintaining a professional manner and treating people with respect. Due to one tenant’s frequent outbursts on new policies, personal harassment and complaints, I sent her a le...

03/29/2007 | Category » Defamation  State » MI  #2343

A form of publication which tends to cause one to lose the esteem of the community is defamati...

A neighbor called Child Protective Services and made numerous false allegations regarding my child’s safety and well being while in my care, all of which can be proven to be false. I have had a lot of problems with her in the past. Is there any form of legal action that...

05/18/2007 | Category » Defamation  State » CO  #5219

A form of publication (whether in writing or verbal) which tends to cause one to lose the este...

My daughter worked for a bar and was being harassed by the other girls. She took her concerns to the owners and was told if she had any problems to come to them. The harassment continued and she opted to quit the job. She got another job and made the mistake of telling the own...

05/23/2007 | Category » Defamation  State » MI  #5722
In the State of South Carolina what can you do about slander?

05/24/2007 | Category » Defamation  State » SC  #5893

I was recently terminated from my job, as a CNA, on charges of misconduct. Although, I had the right to appeal the termination regarding unemployment compensation and it was ruled that I was not guilty of misconduct. I discovered that the Administrator wrote on my termination pap...

05/31/2007 | Category » Defamation  State » WI  #6088
Is there anything I can do if the sheriffs department is slandering my name?

06/15/2007 | Category » Defamation  State » CA  #6456
What constitutes grounds for a lawsuit based on slander?

Would the following constitute grounds for a lawsuit based on slander? I work as a RN at a hospital. I recieved a telephone order from a physician for a medication (morphine) after a patient had fallen and injured her head at the hospital. The patient ended up having a sub-dura...

10/26/2007 | Category » Defamation  State » NC  #11019
Does my girlfriend or myself have any sort of case for emotional distress or harassment?

I was recently involved in a dispute which resulted in myself receiving a criminal trespass warning. I was at my girlfriend's apartment with my girlfriend present. She left, and 5 minutes later her roommate showed up. The roommate did not want me there, and called the police t...

10/26/2007 | Category » Defamation  State » TX  #11022
What are the grounds for slander?

I was let go from my job, reason giving cause of money shortages at this business. Now I am being accused of taking this money. Which I did not do. Workers from this business are telling customers and my friends I was fired because I took money from this business. Do I have a...

11/18/2007 | Category » Defamation  State » VA  #12468
Does My Employer Need To Have 15 Or More Employees In Order To File Federal Charges Against Him

The Pastor of our church was very inappropriate in several ways. He has less than 15 employees. I was told that he had to have 15 employees to punish him on a federal level. Is there something I can do on a state level? I was his personal assist for 6 months and was never paid li...

11/22/2008 | Category » Defamation  State » TX  #14713
Can our rental company contact my husband's employer and slander him?

We're hoping to understand if we have a slander case on our hands. My family was living in a temporary rental home due to a corporate relocation. A few weeks before we moved to a permanent residence, I was pulling into the garage in my car and was about 2/3 in, when the garage ...

12/16/2008 | Category » Defamation  State » AZ  #14818
What can I do if a co-worker is making false statements to my boss about my work?

I've been working at a nonprofit mental health organization for a little over a year. Throughout the period, my boss has treated me badly enough to make me feel a non-existing individual in occasional manner. My co-worker, who has a medical disability, is always late on her assig...

02/06/2009 | Category » Defamation  State » CA  #15178
Is it legal for my wife to use spyware to extort me during our divorce?

My case is complicated as I'm sure many are. I am in a divorce preceding and am currently separated from my wife. I am staying at the house and she had chose to leave and move into a condo in our same town. She had, when we were married installed a program on our computer to trac...

02/28/2009 | Category » Defamation  State » TX  #15395
What can my wife do if she is being discriminated agsinst at her employment?

My wife, a teacher with over 20 years experience, has been working at a local private school for five years. The Headmaster's wife works in the English department with her. This very powerful woman has been 'mentoring' a well-below average student who is in my wife's class, and w...

04/07/2009 | Category » Defamation  State » IN  #15903
What can I do if I feel I was discriminated against at work?

What would be the course of action for a written reprimand given to an employee that contained untrue statements, slander, defamation of character and threatening gestures (pointing of finger in face)?

04/27/2009 | Category » Defamation  State » VA  #16141
What can I do if someone is spreading rumors and causing emotional distress to my family?

I have an in-law that has spread gossip, true, somewhat true etc.: At my social events, my place of work, church....anywhere she might. This has caused severe emotional trauma to me and others in my family. Can this be a suable situation?

04/29/2009 | Category » Defamation  State » OH  #16397
What can I do to make my ex husband stop discussing my personal character in a negative way?

Can I file Harassment charges against my ex-husband for constant verbal abuse, excessive certified letters, and constant threats against my personal character to be discussed with my children?

04/29/2009 | Category » Defamation  State » ALL  #16426
Can someone put up a sign in their front yard saying someone is a child predator?

Can someone put up a sign in their front yard saying someone is a child predator, is it their right under the 1st amendment? This is what the police have told me, is it true?

04/29/2009 | Category » Defamation  State » CA  #16439
Can someone publish a book on your life without your consent?

I was interviewed by someone writing a book. My understanding was that the purpose of the interview was to collect people's thoughts on the topic of her book (in this case the idea of being 'wrong') In the context of the conversation I unwittingly disclosed many personal details...

05/10/2009 | Category » Defamation  State » NY  #16627