Civil Rights » Privacy Legal Questions & Answers

What is the legal definition of violating one's privacy?

I rent a room in a house and pay rent on a month by month basis (no written lease or agreement). About 1.5 to 1.75 years ago my landlord spoke to me and gave a lengthy list on what I can photograph and what I can't inside and outside the house. Since it was a long list to remembe...

02/01/2007 | Category » Privacy  State » OH  #815
Is it legal for my landlord to have a video camera watching my driveway and porch?

My landlord has two video camera's at our home. One is of our driveway and the other is of my front porch. Is that legal?

03/28/2007 | Category » Privacy  State » WA  #2298
What can happen to someone who publishes nude pictures without owner's consent?

What legal actions can you take against an individual who publishes personal nude pictures of someone without that person's knowledge?

04/02/2007 | Category » Privacy  State » MD  #2460
Is it legal for Wal-Mart to search your bags after you have paid?

Wal-Mart has a practice of searching your bags "after" you have paid for them. Is this practice legal? Also, does a security officer employed by Wal-Mart have the ability to detain a person by "blocking" a car to prevent a person from leaving the area after they have checked the ...

04/03/2007 | Category » Privacy  State » GA  #2538
Is there a law that restricts a club from distributing the information it collects about you?

Are there any laws that restrict a club from distributing the information it collects about you to other business?

04/11/2007 | Category » Privacy  State » NJ  #2933
What is the law regarding a neighbor having video cameras pointed at the door of a persons home?

What is the law concerning a neighbor having survelience cameras pointed at the door of a persons home and all of the doorways of the apartment, shop and shed on the same property?

04/12/2007 | Category » Privacy  State » AR  #3047
Is it legal for another employee to open mail that is addressed to a certain employee?

If a person receives mail or a package at a work address, but it is clearly marked with the person's name, is it illegal for another staff person to open it?

04/25/2007 | Category » Privacy  State » ND  #3319
Can somebody legally take pictures of another person during sexual activity without consent?

Can somebody legally film or take pictures of another person during sexual activity without that persons consent, and bring it into a court case, or trial in the state of Florida? Can a minor be placed on a lease for an apartment in the state of Ohio?

04/26/2007 | Category » Privacy  State » FL  #3328

In most cases, setting up a video monitor is legal unless the cameras represent an unreasonabl...

Is it legal for our neighbor to have a video camera pointed at our property, which covers the bedroom window and backyard?

07/25/2007 | Category » Privacy  State » CO  #7482
At what point should a doctor provide a patient with the HIPAA Act?

At what point during the course of treatment of a new patient should notice of use and disclosure of health information, required under HIPAA, be given and why?

08/14/2007 | Category » Privacy  State » FL  #7925

The tort of appropriation involves the appropriation of a person's name or likeness for the de...

An agency had used my name and picture without my approval to promote a trip to another city, is this legal??

08/29/2007 | Category » Privacy  State » GA  #8281
Is It Illegal For Someone To Have Another's Mail Forwarded To Their Address Without Consent

My wife and I are separated. She had my mail forwarded to her address without my consent after we separated. Can I press charges? If so, what penalties does she face in NC?

11/25/2008 | Category » Privacy  State » NC  #14722
Is Eavesdropping Legal

Is it legal for someone to eavesdrop outside of apartment doors?

12/12/2008 | Category » Privacy  State » NY  #14794
Proving that a Federal Agency Engaged in Spoliation

How is it possible for a plaintiff to prove that a FEDERAL AGENCY engaged in INTENTIONAL spoliation of evidence. If proven, what damages can be obtained in federal court.

03/13/2009 | Category » Privacy  State » ALL  #15615
What can I do about my neighnor installing a camera facing my bedroom?

My neighbor put a surveillance camera facing my bedroom, child's room and living room. Real or fake camera, I do not know it it is constantly recording. Isn't there a law against that? What can I do? This causes my family and I a lot of stress and takes the comfort away from my...

03/17/2009 | Category » Privacy  State » CA  #15670
Is it illegal for the company to disclose personal information regarding my medical leave?

I am a manager at a large retail company. In May I went on an fmla leave due to my alcoholism and sought help. Recently it has come to my knowledge that our HR manager told several other people the reason I was on medical leave. Is there a legal issue regarding the disclosure of ...

03/30/2009 | Category » Privacy  State » NJ  #15823
Invasion of Privacy Law

Does the following fall under the invasion of the privacy law? What kind of charges can we take against the party? Could you please provide detailed explainaton and the back-up law against this: Hotel takes pictures of a untidy guest room when the guest is out and send the pictu...

04/13/2009 | Category » Privacy  State » NY  #15966
What is a summons concerning 'invasion of privacy' with a court appearance?

I received a summons concerning 'invasion of privacy' with a court appearance four weeks from now. How would one find out what this is concerning ?

04/24/2009 | Category » Privacy  State » IN  #16116
Is it a crime to record a private conversation?

Can an employee record a conversation that her supervisor is having with other employees?

04/28/2009 | Category » Privacy  State » CA  #16256
Is it legal for the IRS to secretly record the conversation of the examiner and taxpayer?

During an IRS examination; Is it legal for them to secretly record the conversation between the examiner and the taxpayer without advising the taxpayer? If different legality (US vs Iowa ) which would apply? Last but not least how far back can they go looking for small mistakes a...

04/28/2009 | Category » Privacy  State » ALL  #16336
What is needed to persue an invasion of privacy lawsuit?

I had a felony conviction in 2002 and told my employer about it when hired in 2004. In 2006 he 'GOOGLED' my name and found references about the felony investigation---not the outcome--online. He told me about it so I would be aware. He frequently referred to these internet entr...

04/29/2009 | Category » Privacy  State » ALL  #16455
Can a Credit Union Disclose My Records to Another?

I feel as though my privacy disclosure act has been breeched by our credit union. I need to know what my legal rights are concerning this. Our personal information and copies of our loan payment documents were given to a person without our permission by the Credit Union manager. ...

06/30/2009 | Category » Privacy  State » GA  #17271
Is it Invasion of Privacy to Photograph a Cemetery?

I take photos of grave sites for others and one cemetery has prohibited photos being taken and says there are privacy laws regarding grave sites and will not allow photos w/o written permission from family members. Is there such a law prohibiting this? The cemetery is open to t...

07/11/2009 | Category » Privacy  State » NC  #17493