Civil Rights Legal Questions and Answers

[1 - 10 of 72]Page of 8

What can we do about police profiling my husband?

My husband who is self employed, and a very hard worker constantly gets harassed in small towns because of his long hair, speech impediment, and low weight. He has severe cervical and lumbar arthritis, and bulging discs. So they treat him like a junkie, as he fits the stereotype unfortunately. This man has never drank or did drugs in his life ironically enough. Well, he had a j...

07/27/2011   |   Category: Civil Rights   |   State: Massachusetts   |   #25238

What constitutes a fair legal system?

What is the purpose of a fair legal system? Ithought one of the most important purpse was to protect then weak - the people who can be easily exploited. Am I wrong?

05/20/2011   |   Category: Civil Rights   |   State: Michigan   |   #24877

Can a Judge Be Sued in a Civl Rights Lawsuit?

I'm trying to analyze and understand the words of 42 U.S.C __ 1983 or Civil action for deprivation of rights. It reads in part :- '...Suit in equity, or other proper proceeding for redress, except that in any action brought against a judicial officer for an act or omission taken in such officer's judicial capacity, injunctive relief shall not be granted unless a declaratory dec...

03/11/2011   |   Category: Civil Rights   |   State: New York   |   #24382

How can I sue court employees for civil rights violations pertaining to my daughter?

I am lookiing for a civil rights attorney to file a lawsuit against many people for violation of due process rights in the family court. Daughter was molested by dad and he has full custody- she is now 16 and wants to live with me.Never had a hearing or trial in over 7 years - police, CPS and courts failed to give me due process and to protect my daughter.

01/27/2011   |   Category: Civil Rights   |   State: California   |   #24098

Can the Police Write Down My License Number and Threaten to Write Me a Ticket?

can a policeoffice tell someone on the streets thats hes gojng to give you a ticket also he goes around harassing people .after he told thiis guy that he was going to give me a ticket the next week i was at the park he wrote down my tag number

01/12/2011   |   Category: Civil Rights   |   State: Florida   |   #23991

Can a Development Be Forced to Have Sidewalks Built?

The Kingsport, TN. Regional Planning Commission originally required the installation of concrete sidewalks on both sides of each street in the design of a residential development in Sullivan County. In order to begin selling lots the developer posted a bond to delay the installation of the sidewalks @ the same time the curbing was to be installed on the sides of all streets. W...

08/30/2010   |   Category: Civil Rights   |   State: Tennessee   |   #23063

What Records Are Exempt From a Freedom of Information Act Request?

In approximately 1998, I reported financial abuse of my elderly brother by his caregiver, and daughter, to the authorities in the State of Washington. After all these years, can I obtain those investigation reports through the Freedom of Information Act?

08/16/2010   |   Category: Civil Rights   |   State: Washington   |   #22930

How much documentation can be required to obtain a US passport?

I recently applied for a US passport. In a reply, the State Department has requested all manner of additional information and documentation within thirty (30) days or the application will be 'denied.' As I am educated, so I can complete the application. However, obtaining all the documentation asked for will likely require more than thirty days. I have no control over how long ...

08/05/2010   |   Category: Civil Rights   |   State: Mississippi   |   #22835

How Do I Get Rights Restored After a Federal Conviction?

26 yrs ago I was convicted of mail fraud, Rico, in Hawaii. The judge that sentenced me did not think I was guilty. He died. I have no other charges since then. I served 15 months in prison, paid all my fines. The federal trade commission told the judge that after a long investigation that I was not the guilty party. Can I get my rights back? I have lived in Texas for 30 yrs, s...

07/02/2010   |   Category: Civil Rights   |   State: Texas   |   #22570

How Do I Get Evidence in a Criminal Case Returned to Me?

My handgun was stolen and is now in the custody of Denton County Sheriffs dept. Article 56.02 - CRIME VICTIMS' RIGHTS states under # 9 '(9) the right to prompt return of any property of the victim that is held by a law enforcement agency or the attorney for the state as evidence when the property is no longer required for that purpose; I am a legal gun owner and have a CHL. Fo...

02/15/2010   |   Category: Civil Rights   |   State: Texas   |   #20971
[1 - 10 of 72]Page of 8