Divorce » Alimony Legal Questions & Answers

Am I entitled to spousal support?

I have been separated for 4 years and was getting support (agreement between myself and son's father) no courts involved. My son just turned 18 and support has stopped. Am I entitled to spousal support? I am filing for divorce.

04/02/2007 | Category » Alimony  State » NJ  #2484
What is Illinois' laws regarding permanent spousal maintenance?

04/03/2007 | Category » Alimony  State » IL  #2548
How do I modify a court order to show I agree to a reduced amount of support?

My ex husband is relocating from St. Louis to Springfield MO. He curently pays me $502.00 per month and we would like to reduce that to $300.00 per month. There is a court order in Webster County. How do we change this without a lawyer and what forms do we need?

04/04/2007 | Category » Alimony  State » MO  #2614
Are alimony payments a monthly obligation or weekly?

The temporay court order states that alimony will be paid on the 16th of each month in 2006, the permanent court order of January 2007, states alimony will now be paid on the 1st of each month. My ex claims he does not owe for the entire month of January, rolling over December 16...

04/05/2007 | Category » Alimony  State » NH  #2652
What are the requirements to collect alimony when divorcing my husband?

My Husband left me 5 yrs ago, and moved to NYC to live with his mother, and work as a school teacher. We've been married now 20 yrs as to date. Have 2 son's 19 and 18 yrs. I lost my job 2 yrs ago with Nordstorms of 18 yrs because I had a nervous breakdown at work, and was fired. ...

04/08/2007 | Category » Alimony  State » TX  #2782
Will I have to pay alimony if the only income I have is medical disability?

I recieve medical diability payments from a previous job, and was wondering if I would have to pay alimony to the ex-spouse ? I thought that alimony wasn't subject to paying alimony.

04/18/2007 | Category » Alimony  State » CA  #3193
Can I have my boyfriend of 9 months move in with me and still receive rehabilitative alimony?

I am currently receiving rehabilitative alimony until 1/1/2011. I have been divorced for 2 years and my ex husband makes a considerable yearly amount more than I do. We were married 13 years with 3 children and I do not receive child support because we both have joint custody. ...

04/24/2007 | Category » Alimony  State » WV  #3287
What are my options for collecting alimony while my husband is laid off?

I was divorced in the state of Nevada in 2003 and have been receiving alimony since then that should continue until June 2010. My ex husband is losing his job as of June and has not been able to find one and until he does will not be able to make the alimony payments. Do I need...

05/13/2007 | Category » Alimony  State » GA  #4622
Am I entitled to spousal support since I am unable to work due to medical disability and divorcing?

I am currently unemployed due to medical reasons and have no means of income. I have been married for 6 1/2 years. Will I be able to receive spousal support? Also, will I have to wait until the divorce is final before he has to pay me?

05/17/2007 | Category » Alimony  State » TX  #5021
Is there any way I can protect myself from paying spousal support if I divorce?

I am preparing for the possibility of divorce and am concerned about having to pay spousal support/maintenance. I can't afford to do either for any amount of time. I have been the sole household income for at least 3 1/2 to 4 years. My wife has a one year business cerificate f...

05/17/2007 | Category » Alimony  State » OR  #5090
What is the minimum length of marriage to be considered for alimony?

I know that to receive alimony a judge takes into consideration the length of the marriage, what is the minimum length...I've been married for 15 mos. If I have no chance of consideration because it's not been 10 years, per se, this will make a difference in my response to how h...

05/18/2007 | Category » Alimony  State » MA  #5244
If my ex is living with someone else, can I get the alimony payments stopped?

My ex. and I were married for over twenty years. She is now and has been living with a boy friend, in another state. Can I get my alimony payments to her stopped.

05/21/2007 | Category » Alimony  State » CA  #5445

No, but the length of time she has been able to support herself may be a factor in making an a...

I was wondering if there is a statue of limitations on alimony. My wife and I have been living in seperate places for 4 years and 5 months now but she is starting the divorce. Can she still try and get alimony?

05/22/2007 | Category » Alimony  State » NJ  #5565
What are the requirements to collect alimony?

I have been married for two years, in case that I get divorce, do I have the right to get alimony from my husband?

05/22/2007 | Category » Alimony  State » DC  #5617
Is my brother required to pay spousal support even though his ex works?

brother is divorcing his wife of 22 years, no children he is signing over the house and is going to pay the lease on her rental car for 7 mo. and she told he has to pay surport its the law in fla she also has a good job with medical benifets and a salary of fifty thounds plus,so ...

05/23/2007 | Category » Alimony  State » FL  #5740
Can I sue my husband for spousal support without filing for a divorce?

05/24/2007 | Category » Alimony  State » NY  #5836
If my wife cheated outside the marrige will I be forced to pay alimony or just child support?

06/02/2007 | Category » Alimony  State » MI  #6120
Will my alimony payments end when my ex wife remarries?

The maintenance from my divorce was for 5 years starting Sept. 2002. My ex wife will be marrying in early July 2007. Will my maintenance end when she marries? If it does end when she marries, do I have to pay for the entire month of july or just until she marries?

06/16/2007 | Category » Alimony  State » CO  #6481
In the state of Florida, can alimony be revoked if you cohabitate ithin one year of the divorce?

Is it true that in the state of Florida, alimony can be revolked if it is found that the party receiving alimony cohabitates with someone for a period of one year? Can you give me a place to find the law? Are there ways to prove the cohabitation?

06/25/2007 | Category » Alimony  State » NC  #6682
Am I entitled to spousal support if I divorce?

I've been married for 5yr. 6 months. My husband works in New York and now we are seperated since Janurary of this year. I haven't been working for 2 yrs. now and was on workmans compensation from January until beining of Sept. 2007. Am I entitle to spousal support until I can get...

10/19/2007 | Category » Alimony  State » PA  #10556
Will I be Entitled to Receive Alimony

My husband and I have been married for almost three years, but want a divorce. I did not work during our marriage because he did not want me to work. Will I be entitled to alimony?

10/21/2007 | Category » Alimony  State » OH  #10655
What are the requirements to collect spousal support when leaving a marriage?

If I want a Seperation from my spouse for spousal mental abuse where can I go and get help. My husband is a pervert we have only been married 3 yrs and I started finding nude pics on his pc and reciepts from nude bars. He stands over me at night doing wierd things. He is in ch...

11/05/2007 | Category » Alimony  State » SC  #11663
In Minnesota is there such thing as spousal maintenance?

In Minnesota, if your were with someone for 8 years and never married, can they get spousal maintenance (money to maintain their lives)?

11/06/2007 | Category » Alimony  State » MN  #11758
Can I collect alimony from my husband if he was caught cheating?

11/07/2007 | Category » Alimony  State » ALL  #11826
Is alimony still required when ex spouse is cohabitating with someone else as man and wife?

My man-friend has been divorced for 7 years, and pays his EX $400 a month. Her and her partner wear wedding rings, have been introducing each other as husband and wife for about 5 years. She has changed her last name to his. His family didn't approve of them living together becau...

02/17/2009 | Category » Alimony  State » ID  #15272
Is the language that terminates spousal support in the case of cohabitation usual or necessary?

In a California settlement agreement for divorce in which the husband will pay child support and spousal support (marriage was nearly ten years and wife worked part-time only to take care of child and household) to the wife who has physical custody of the minor child, in the term...

03/22/2009 | Category » Alimony  State » CA  #15720
Am I still entitled to alimony even though I cohabitated with someone who is now deceased?

I am divorced and have received alimony and child support. I was in a 4 year relationship with a friend, who became ill and moved in with me, although he did not give up his prior living arrangement. He contributed half for rent, groceries and utilities, etc. so as not to impose...

04/05/2009 | Category » Alimony  State » TN  #15886
Is there a Kansas law stipulating alimony be paid monthly if the order stated anually?

Is there a Kansas law stipulating alimony be paid monthly during the year in the event the maintenance agreement just states an annual amount?

04/11/2009 | Category » Alimony  State » KS  #15952
Is it possible to get unallocated spousal support in a divorce settlement in the state of VA?

04/22/2009 | Category » Alimony  State » VA  #16092
Am I required to share my retirment money with my ex-wife?

I am 53 years old and paying 1K in alimony per month. I have been layed off and am now considering executing an early retirement benefit. To date my ex has not put in a QDRO (qualified domestic relation order). Will I be retroactively responsible when and if my ex puts in QDRO, t...

04/28/2009 | Category » Alimony  State » ALL  #16342
I was ordered to pay spousal support

I was married for 18 years and divorced in 1998. At that time I was ordered to pay spousal support indefinitely. I have since been back to Court 3 times, at considerable expense, and have had the support reduced on each occasion. However, no one seems to be able to define what t...

04/29/2009 | Category » Alimony  State » ALL  #16412
My alimony payment to my wife ended so can she request more in the future?

My maintenance payment to my ex wife ended this month after five years. Can she come back in the future and request it begin again?

05/04/2009 | Category » Alimony  State » ALL  #16548
Is it legal and or right for a judge to award the other person 100% of your expense money as income?

In a divorce in Oklahoma, is it legal and or right for a judge to award the other person 100% of your expense money from your work (not taxed) as earned income? This is in the temporary order and my trial date is coming up.

05/19/2009 | Category » Alimony  State » OK  #16708
Can a Spouse Be Forced to Work Additional Jobs to Pay Alimony?

Is it a legal requirement for a man's overtime income or additional employment (in addition to his primary full time job as an airline first officer) be taken into account when determining the amount of spousal maintenance due? In other words, is it enforcable to make the man wo...

04/20/2010 | Category » Alimony  State » CO  #21849
Can I Request Alimony After the Divorce is Final?

My ex-husband and I were married 5 years and separated for the legal year required in North Carolina. We got a divorce in 2009. He pays full child support meaning anything our child needs, he pays for, it does not come to me in any financial form. I gave up rights for alimony bec...

06/02/2011 | Category » Alimony  State » NC  #24950