Landlord Tenant » Lease Termination Legal Questions & Answers

If I gave 90 days notice I am moving, am I responsible for remaining lease?

I have lived in my current rental house for three years. I have six months left on the lease. I gave landlord 90 days notice that I am moving as I have purchased a house. Can I be held liable for the remaining three months?

01/09/2007 | Category » Lease Termination  State » MN  #250
What could happen if I terminate my lease early?

I have a lease for rent of one year. If I want to move after six months, do I violate the lease? What will happen to me?

01/09/2007 | Category » Lease Termination  State » NJ  #291
What can happen if I terminate my lease early?

01/10/2007 | Category » Lease Termination  State » NJ  #328
What is needed to evict my former boyfriend from my home that he does not support financially?

My boyfriend and I have been living together for about 5 to 6 years. I bought a log house with 10 acres with the understanding that he would sell his house and then split the payments on the log house exactly. I have bought all log tools needed for the property, including a John ...

02/01/2007 | Category » Lease Termination  State » CA  #989
Can a landlord submit eviction proceedings if public assistance has made inaccurate payments?

By law can a landlord submit eviction proceedings if public assistance has made inaccurate payment of monies to the landlord? Should the tenant be liable for that misunderstanding? How can a Section 8 landlord show proof of who resides on said premises?

02/01/2007 | Category » Lease Termination  State » NY  #996
Is there a summary ejection notice in Alabama?

02/01/2007 | Category » Lease Termination  State » ALL  #1001
Can my landlord still start eviction if I do not pay until the 15th of the month?

I have a residential lease that provides as follows: Rent is payable monthly, in advance, at a rate of $1,000, per month, during the term of this agreement on the first day of each month at a certain location Another part of lease states the following:EVICTION: If the rent calle...

02/01/2007 | Category » Lease Termination  State » NV  #1004
How do we get a tenant to move who was suppose to already be gone?

Our tenant gave her 30 day notice to move on January 4th. She was suppose to move today, but has not. We are first time landlords. How do we get her out of the home? We have new tenant waiting to move in.

02/01/2007 | Category » Lease Termination  State » TN  #1204
How do you go about getting a person out of your house for non-payment of rent?

How do you go about getting a person out of your house for non-payment of rent (also: utilities bill over $800) plus damages to the house?

02/01/2007 | Category » Lease Termination  State » GA  #1282
Where can I find information about eviction documents in the state of Georgia?

02/01/2007 | Category » Lease Termination  State » GA  #1370
How can I have my brother-in-law removed who refused to pay rent on time?

I have an apartment (with only one entrance and one exit) that my brother in-law rents. He refuses to pay the rent till the end of the month and this has been going on for quite a while. I just left him a notice of rent increase and informing him that the rent needs to be paid b...

02/01/2007 | Category » Lease Termination  State » NY  #1461
How do you go about evicting someone that lives with you?

02/01/2007 | Category » Lease Termination  State » VA  #1494
Am I entitled to my deposit back if I canceled contract within 3 days due to family emergency?

I have signed a standard residential rental contract in California, San Francisco Bay area, and because of family emergency I had to cancel it within 3 days of signing it. Am I entitled to my deposit back from the landlord?

02/07/2007 | Category » Lease Termination  State » CA  #442
If my roommate terminates the lease early is she responsible for her half of the rent?

After three months my roommate decides she wants to move out and she legally breaks a lease that we both signed together. The lease is for 12 months. Will she be responsible for her half of the rent?

02/07/2007 | Category » Lease Termination  State » AL  #453
What are my options when the house I am renting has been put up for sale?

My landlord is selling the house that I rent from month to month. Our verbal contract is that I provide 30-60 days notice prior to moving. The written lease agreement has long expired, and was not renewed, I just pay as I stay. Recently the landlord has placed the property for ...

02/08/2007 | Category » Lease Termination  State » GA  #514
Can the landlord legally keep my possessions for 10 days rent if she still has my deposit?

I gave my 30 day notice in writing and moved out before my 30 days were up. My landlord took possession of the property, put them in a garage, put a pad lock on the garage, and locked me out of my apartment. Can she charge me for the 10 days of rent out of my deposit? I no longer...

02/08/2007 | Category » Lease Termination  State » CA  #550
What can happen if I terminate my lease early due to crime at the complex?

How can I break my lease without penalties if my wife is in fear of her safety at night in the apartment complex and my vehicles have been broken into 7 times?

02/08/2007 | Category » Lease Termination  State » CO  #583
What is the Iowa law for commercial eviction?

What is the Iowa law for commercial eviction? Also, what is the Iowa law for collections?

02/09/2007 | Category » Lease Termination  State » IA  #637
How does a month to month lease work after the original has expired?

Lease has expired. I am going month to month. How much time will I have to find another place before I get evicted provided I continue to pay the rent?

02/13/2007 | Category » Lease Termination  State » MO  #693
If I have no lease but have paid my rent for the month can the landlord evict me?

I have no lease on apartment. What if landlord wants to evict me and I have paid my rent? How many days is he required to give me?

02/15/2007 | Category » Lease Termination  State » NV  #708
What does N.J.S.A. 2A:18-61.1 state?

What does N.J.S.A. 2A:18-61.1 state?

03/02/2007 | Category » Lease Termination  State » NJ  #770
Can I turn of a tenant utilities if she is behind on rent and they are included?

I have a tenant that included in her rent, are all her utilities. She is behind in rent, can I legally turn her utilities off in the state of Florida?

03/03/2007 | Category » Lease Termination  State » FL  #795
If I move out 4 months into my 1 year lease what are my obligations to paying the re-letting charge?

Re-letting Charge: If I decide to move out 4 months into my 1 year lease; what are my obligations to paying the re-letting charge of $909.50?

03/19/2007 | Category » Lease Termination  State » TX  #1731
How do I notify a month to month tenant I want him to move?

I have a tenant who has been renting a room on a verbal month to month agreement. I advised him I want him to move by April 3, 2007. Can I legally serve him a 14 day notice to Quit? I will not accept any more rent from him.

03/21/2007 | Category » Lease Termination  State » MI  #1969
If I am not renewing my lease can I use my security deposit as the last month's rent?

I reside in Sedona Arizona. I am not going to renew my lease which terminates May 1, 2007. Can I use my $500 security deposit that I gave to my landlord in May of 2006 and apply it to my April's rent? Does this Arizona statue appy to me? A.R.S. 33-1321

03/21/2007 | Category » Lease Termination  State » AZ  #1995
Can the landlord evict an active duty member's spouse for nonpayment or late rent?

Can the landlord evict an active duty memeber's spouse for nonpayment or late rent. Also, I need a legal statement showing the laws that stop an eviction of said spouse.

03/26/2007 | Category » Lease Termination  State » CA  #1033

The answer to your question is not clear. A majority of jurisdictions recognize a warranty o...

Is it possible to break my lease due to air quality in my apartment (allergies)?

03/26/2007 | Category » Lease Termination  State » FL  #2187
What are my options when terminating my lease due to job transfer?

Terminating a lease due to employment transfer 240miles round trip from current lease (Tucson to Phoenix). What are my rights.

03/28/2007 | Category » Lease Termination  State » AZ  #2254
What type of notice is needed for the termination of a month to month lease?

I live in apartments in New Jersey. I had a one year lease which is ending on April 15th. I did not provide a notice of non-renewal as I assumed that since I received a lease termination notice from my community my lease has ended. But, after speaking to the leasing consultan...

03/29/2007 | Category » Lease Termination  State » NJ  #2315
Is my employer required to compensate me for having to break my lease when relocating?

I was required to sign a relocation agreement as a condition of employment. What about my current rental lease? Is my employer required to compensate me for having to break my lease in the event that I'm forced to relocate out of California? What if the relocation is beyond a rea...

03/29/2007 | Category » Lease Termination  State » CA  #2319
What are the requirements for a landlord to give a 30 day eviction notice?

Can a landlord give you a notice stating you have 30 days to change alterations (that the tenant has made) or they will be forced to fill for eviction-then turn around and 4 days later send you an eviction notice saying you have 30 to vacate the premise?

03/30/2007 | Category » Lease Termination  State » TN  #2388
What is the proper process for terminating my lease since the company I work for is transferring me?

I have been a tenant of this building for 3 years and always signed a 1 year lease. My lease is up this month. I know I will be moving out of the country in 2 months and asked my mgmt company what to do? They told me to cross out term 12 months and write in 1 month, sign the l...

03/31/2007 | Category » Lease Termination  State » NY  #2402
Can I be evicted for complaining about my noisy neighbors?

I lease an apartment in South Carolina. I received an eviction notice to vacate within 30 days. The reason given on the eviction notice is I have complained about noise from the tenants living below me. That is the only reason listed. I called the main office in charge of the Apa...

03/31/2007 | Category » Lease Termination  State » SC  #2410
What rights does a residential tenant have if they are being evicted due to the death of landlord?

What rights does a residential tenant have if they are being evicted due to the death of landlord who has left their estate to a church?

04/01/2007 | Category » Lease Termination  State » CT  #2425
If a tenant fails to pay his rent for three months what is the best approach to this?

04/01/2007 | Category » Lease Termination  State » MA  #2427
If I signed and lease can I be evicted early because landlord sold the home?

If I signed a years lease can my landlord evict me before the lease is up, because they sold the home?

04/02/2007 | Category » Lease Termination  State » UT  #2509
What are my rights to breaking my lease when my company relocates?

I signed a lease with an apartment complex in New Jersey. My company has just announced that we will be relocating to NC. Been one of the managers I have to move with the Co. What are my rights as to breaking this lease?

04/03/2007 | Category » Lease Termination  State » NJ  #2533
Can I be eveicted if I paid cash to buy my interest in this cooperative?

I have been evicted from a low-moderate income non-profit cooperative. I believe that my eviction was illegal since I was given no notice of any legal proceedings. I paid $25,000.00 cash to buy my interest in this cooperative. Neither management nor their attorneys will talk to me.

04/03/2007 | Category » Lease Termination  State » NY  #2572
How do I evict a tenant that is not paying rent?

I am renting a house on a month to month basis. The tenant has not paid rent for the last nine months under the premise that the rent was going to repairs and misc. things that needed to be done, plus she has been trying to get financing to buy it so I haven't rushed to kick her ...

04/04/2007 | Category » Lease Termination  State » CA  #2590
What form can I use to serve tenant with a 30 day notice?

What form can I use to serve tenant with a 30 day notice as I am taking possession of my home?

04/04/2007 | Category » Lease Termination  State » CA  #2609
What are my rights regarding my rental property being sold during my lease?

I currently reside in Berks County Pa. I rent the larger portion of a 2 unit apartment building that is being sold. I had a one year lease that expired in Feb 05. Since that time we have had an ongoing oral month to month lease. Our landlord had told us that he was putting th...

04/04/2007 | Category » Lease Termination  State » PA  #2616
What is the legal ramifications of terminating a lease early?

I plan to lease a townhouse. It would be for a 1 year lease. If I break that lease to a purchase a house, what would the reprocussions be legally?

04/07/2007 | Category » Lease Termination  State » OH  #2759
Am I still responsible for lot rent if I did not give notice that I was moving?

In my trailor park, the lease on the lot states that I must give a written notice of moving in 30 days, My lease was up in Feb. I moved in March 19th without giving a written notice am I still responsable for the March and April payment the owner states that I have to pay the lot...

04/09/2007 | Category » Lease Termination  State » OH  #2832
Am I responsible for payment of a month not included in the lease due to clerical error?

My wife and I have lived at the same apartment community for two years. We are moving and have hit a problem that we need legal counsel with. Our first 12 month contract we signed was from June 1, 2005 - May 30, 2006. When we were given our second contract, the apartment communit...

04/09/2007 | Category » Lease Termination  State » CA  #2837
What is the proper way to provide notice since my lease is up and I am moving?

The lease on my apartment is up and I am due to sign a new lease for my apartment however I am moving to a new townhome. My manager said she needs a full 60 day notice and will not except it today (the 9th of the month) because it is not the 1st of the month, If I give my notic...

04/09/2007 | Category » Lease Termination  State » MN  #2847
How Do I Terminate My Lease if I am Moving for Health Reasons?

I live in Colorado, but the weather is bad for my health. My question is, if by a doctor advise it would be good for me to move to another state, will I be penalized by breaking up a lease contract?

04/10/2007 | Category » Lease Termination  State » CO  #2880
If I turn my termination notice in on March 22 can I be charged rent for April?

If you turn in a 30 day notice on the 22 of March can the landlord charge me the whole month of April?

04/10/2007 | Category » Lease Termination  State » CO  #2904
If I move in to an apartment on May 20, 2006, when will my one year lease end?

If I move in to an apartment on May 20, 06, when will my one year lease end? Is it legal for it to end on April 10, 07?

04/12/2007 | Category » Lease Termination  State » WA  #3016
Am I still liable for the remainder of my lease if it was terminated for noncompliance?

When a landlord terminates a lease due to noncompliance by the tenant is the tenant still liable to pay the rent for the remainder of the lease term or until the unit is leased again?

04/13/2007 | Category » Lease Termination  State » IA  #3078
What are my options when terminating my lease early?

I am a tenant in a residential lease in California. I notified my landlord verbally that I would like to terminate my lease 30 days early due to family difficulties requiring me to relocate (I also gave my notice in writing 30 days before I wished to terminate the lease). My leas...

04/29/2007 | Category » Lease Termination  State » CA  #3415
What are my options to terminate the lease on our rental home if the tenants violated it?

We are renting our house in Nevada to a couple who have a dog, and our lease states no pets allowed unless written notice from Landlord (Us). They agreed stating that the dog would stay with her parents. We found out however from our neighbors that the dog has been their the who...

05/01/2007 | Category » Lease Termination  State » NV  #3518
Can a landlord charge you a fee for breaking a lease?

05/06/2007 | Category » Lease Termination  State » PA  #3916
Am I entitled to my deposit back if I did not give proper notice but left the property clean?

I stayed in a duplex in Redwood City. I didn't sign any lease but the verbal agreement was a month to month basis. I stayed there for 2 months but I have an emergency so I have to leave for TX. Of course I paid a deposit equivalent to a month's rent of $1200. I only gave my landl...

05/08/2007 | Category » Lease Termination  State » CA  #4204
Do we have to move the mobile home if my name is not on the Termination of Tenancy?

What are my rights as to living in a mobile home park, and the person I am living with has been given Termination of Tenancy. Does the Park owner have the right to have us move our Mobile Home, which I own half, and I have no violations on myself. The owners only have his name on...

05/09/2007 | Category » Lease Termination  State » MI  #4298
Should I have to pay pro-rated rent since I am moving out in the middle of the month?

Me and my husband have been living in this house for 2 and a half years in March. We put in a thirty day notice then in April the landlord called and said we owed for april in which we paid and then he asked how soon it would be before we could move we told him it would be the 25...

05/14/2007 | Category » Lease Termination  State » NV  #4734
Am I still responsible for future rent if I give a thirty day notice?

I have been living in an apartment in Wayne NJ for 1.5 years and I have found a new job and must relocate. My lease expires in November 2007 and I have to relocate in June 2007. I have the offer letter from my new employer and all the legal documentation to prove that I will be m...

05/15/2007 | Category » Lease Termination  State » NJ  #4828
Can we legally break the lease due to mental illness?

My son is 25 years old and signed an apartment rental lease starting April 1, 2007. He has obsessive compulsive disorder and aspergers syndrom (a form of autism) which we told the apartment complex before he moved in. Its only been 2 months but my son found he cannot handle livin...

06/01/2007 | Category » Lease Termination  State » VA  #6098
What are my options for terminating a lease due to health concerns?

I am currently in a one year lease agreement and due to sudden health problems I have not been able to pursue the job position anymore that will allow me to be able to pay my current rent. My finances are in a place that I can't afford the rent anymore. I need to get out of the l...

06/03/2007 | Category » Lease Termination  State » NC  #6136
If a tenant fails to vacate by specified date, can the police be used to remove tenant?

If a tenant gives notice to vacate the rented premises, and fails to vacate at the specified date, can the renter be removed by the police?

06/07/2007 | Category » Lease Termination  State » MT  #6255
Can I end my lease since the house is on the market and I am being inconvienced?

The house that I live in is owned by another tenants parents. I rent out one of the rooms upstairs. The tenant whos parents own the house takes it upon herself to come into our rooms whenever she feels and breaks virtually ever rule in the lease. Her parents have since put the ho...

06/08/2007 | Category » Lease Termination  State » FL  #6266
What is the proper way to terminate a lease if the landlord has not made requested repairs?

I've signed a year lease on a rental home with the landlord but am wanting to terminate the lease after only 3 months. We had a written agreement before moving in that the landlord would have a working pool system for us becuase it was not working at the time, and have the paint ...

06/09/2007 | Category » Lease Termination  State » AZ  #6280
How can I terminate my lease early and avoid paying any penalties?

I am a foreign alien allowed to work in US and I acquired an apartment for a lease of 1 year but my work demands me to move to a foreign country within 3 months of my moving into the apartment. Moreover I paid 2 months of rent as advance to the landlord. The termination policy is...

06/10/2007 | Category » Lease Termination  State » FL  #6316
Am I entitled to my deposit back if I broke the lease early but left the property in great condition

I signed a six month lease, but I moved out two months into the lease. However, prior to moving out I talked to the landlord and gave a 30 day written notice. The landlord also did a walk-through inspection, and thanked me for keeping everything clean. It's been 40 days and I ...

06/22/2007 | Category » Lease Termination  State » CA  #6616
When a tenant is on a month to month basis, are they required to give notice before moving?

When you have a tenant that is on a month to month basis, are they required to give notice to the landlord before they move or can they just pick up and leave after telling you a week before they intend to move?

06/22/2007 | Category » Lease Termination  State » IA  #6620
Would my friend's neighbor owning a pit bull and selling drugs be reason to terminate her lease?

A friend who live's in an apartment complex is interested in terminating her lease early. A suspected drug dealer has moved in next door and has recently acquired a pit bull. My friend has a four-year-old child and is concerned for the child's safety and the general safety of her...

08/14/2007 | Category » Lease Termination  State » GA  #7931

If your lease or a notice from your landlord says that you must either sign a new lease by a c...

I have a lease for 1 year and it will expire in 10 days a few days ago something came up and i am unable to renew the lease for another year. The landlord told me I should move out when the lease is up, which is in 10 days. I have not found a place yet so what am i going to do an...

08/22/2007 | Category » Lease Termination  State » NJ  #8126
When should the apartment be vacated if we pay rent on the 15th and have given notice?

I have a roommate that is on a month to month contract with us. We pay rent on the 15th of the month. We've given him 26 days notice. (I read the laws and it said I must give 15 days on a month to month agreement) He's arguing that he can stay until the 15th of the next month...

09/20/2007 | Category » Lease Termination  State » FL  #8914
What is required for landlord to terminate a month-to-month tenant lease?

Landlord needs to move into the rental due to selling their home. The renters have been paying on a month to month lease. Is a 30 days notice to leave legal?

09/25/2007 | Category » Lease Termination  State » OH  #9053
What is the correct notice when not renewing your lease?

My lease is up at the end of Oct. I gave the leasing office my notice that I would not be renewing my lease 55 days prior to when my lease was up. I was told that I had to give them a 60 day notice. I reviewed my lease and it does infact state that, however I heard from other lea...

10/03/2007 | Category » Lease Termination  State » CO  #9598
Is there a way to break my lease since my job wants to transfer me?

I live in Venice CA. We just got to the end of a one year lease and re-upped for an additional nine months. We just found out that my company wants to relocate me to a new office within the next 60 days. This would require me to break my lease. Are we able to recoup our original ...

10/03/2007 | Category » Lease Termination  State » CA  #9612
What is the appropriate way to terminate my lease since I can no longer afford it?

I have a yearly apartment contract that expires next June. I got a new job that requires me to commute 1.5 hours each morning. My wife also commutes about 1.25 hours one way. I tried speaking with the office, but they said they cannot let me break without paying the rest of the r...

10/17/2007 | Category » Lease Termination  State » IL  #10464
Early Termination of Lease

I signed a year lease and moved out 3 months into it and there is no early termination fee. They are not in any hurry to rent my apartment because there are others available. I was wondering if there is anything I can do in this situation?

10/20/2007 | Category » Lease Termination  State » CA  #10606
Do I still pay for the four weeks notice since I am moving and gave 4 weeks rent and deposit?

I am a tenant at will and will be giving my four weeks notice to my landlord as stated in the agreement. My question is do I have to pay the 4 weeks that I am still living there? I had to give a security deposit and 4 weeks rent when I moved in?

10/23/2007 | Category » Lease Termination  State » MA  #10809
Would I still be held liable for the rent for the remaining months?

My brother is currently renting a condo in which he can no longer pay. He looked over his lease and doesn't see any buy out clause or anything regarding the termination of the lease. Would he still be held liable for the rent for the remaining months if he does not have the optio...

10/23/2007 | Category » Lease Termination  State » FL  #10812
How do I go about getting my now ex girlfriend to sign the form releasing me from the lease?

My girlfriend and I moved into a rental a month ago. I have since found out she was cheating on me and wish to move out. I tried to give the property manager my 30 day notice but they said my now ex-girlfriend has to sign a form to release me from the lease. She refuses to sig...

10/24/2007 | Category » Lease Termination  State » NC  #10892
How long do I have to cancel a lease for an apartment once I signed the contract?

How long do I have to cancel a lease for an apartment? Is there a law that states you have 72 hours to cancel from the time you sign the contract.

10/25/2007 | Category » Lease Termination  State » GA  #10945
What is the appropriate way to terminate your lease?

My girlfriend and I have lived in our apartment for 6 days. We were told that they are very quiet apartments and that is exactly what we wanted. During our first night here we already wanted to complain about the noise, two days later we did. Nothing changed. The next day was wor...

10/26/2007 | Category » Lease Termination  State » MI  #11009
What are the penalties for terminating a lease early if there have been problems from the start?

I spoke with a rental manager in person. Explained I was new to the area. I asked if it was a nice, low crime, and quiet neighborhood, and she assured me it was! I requested a 2bdrm apt. She said they had one. I went to look at #614, and said fine, I would go to the bank and be ...

10/31/2007 | Category » Lease Termination  State » AZ  #11355
What are the grounds for terminating a lease?

I needed to know if my husband and I can break a lease because my father is sick and lost his job and we have to help them financially. So we can no longer afford our rent. We've only been staying there about three months and its a year lease.

11/02/2007 | Category » Lease Termination  State » KS  #11503
What is the notice required when terminating a lease?

My landlord has breeched our agreement due to entering the premises. We are going to give them a written 60 day notice that we are leaving. Is this reasonable?

11/08/2007 | Category » Lease Termination  State » FL  #11888
What can I do about the outragous fee I was charged for my breaking the lease early?

I broke a lease about 7 months in advance, knowing full well that I would have to pay a fee. Eights months after I moved out and giving the apartment a mailing address and phone number to contact me, I received a bill in the mail from a collection agency with an amount double the...

11/08/2007 | Category » Lease Termination  State » AZ  #11895
Is there a way to terminate the lease if I just signed and no money has been exchanged?

My husband and I found a house that we were interested in renting...we viewed the home, and decided we wanted to rent the home. Since my husband works out of town, I was to meet with the realtor representing the property to look over the lease . I met with the realtor and signe...

11/10/2007 | Category » Lease Termination  State » VA  #12027
If I decide to purchase a home before my lease is up is there a correct way to end the lease?

I am getting ready to sign a new years lease, however, over the next 6 mos to a year, I am thinking about purchasing a home. Can I get out of my lease?

11/16/2007 | Category » Lease Termination  State » DE  #12390
When the lease is month-to-month what is the correct notice to terminate the lease?

Our lease expired on 8/1/07. My understanding is of New York state law is that after 8/1/08, we would be month-to-month. We would then only be required to give thirty days notice. I sent the landlord formal notice on 9/1/07 that we would be moving out by October 1st. He has se...

11/21/2007 | Category » Lease Termination  State » NY  #12668
If my job transfers me to another state can I terminate my apartment lease?

11/28/2007 | Category » Lease Termination  State » NC  #13023
What can I do if the tenant does not vacate when he is suppose to?

I have a tenant whose lease ends 1 Dec 2007. I went to the rental unit to check the progress of the tenant and I have reason to believe that the tenant has no intent to vacate the premises at the end of the lease agreement. What should be my next step?

11/30/2007 | Category » Lease Termination  State » VA  #13119
Is Purchasing a Home Grounds for Terminating a Lease Agreement

My roommate and I signed a one year lease. We have gone through 5 months so far and I have been in the market for a new house. I have found a new house and expect to close on it by the end of December. I have heard that if you buy a house you are legally able to break the leas...

12/07/2007 | Category » Lease Termination  State » MI  #13548
What Are Our Rights Concerning Our Rental Property That Sold During Our Lease

Two roommates and I moved into a house on a $4000 month to month lease. The owner was trying to sell the house. On December 6, 2007 we got our 45 day notice that he was selling the house. On December 18, we came home to find a notice on the door that said the house is going to be...

12/19/2007 | Category » Lease Termination  State » CA  #14137
What is the correct way to terminate the lease I just signed so I can purchase a home?

I just re-signed a 12-month lease on my apartment and I found a house I want to buy, is there any way I can break my lease without penalties?

12/25/2007 | Category » Lease Termination  State » NE  #14271
What is the correct way to terminate our lease early due to job relocation?

We are terminating a 2 year lease on a home in Illinois after 18 months due to a job relocation. Can we pay the 18th month rent with the security deposit we made initially, which will cover the rent?

12/17/2008 | Category » Lease Termination  State » IL  #14820
Can my son still be held liable until the lease runs out even with a 7 month notice?

My son, who is a student, signed an apartment lease to begin 8/09. Plans have changed and he will not be returning to college in the Fall of 09. I called the leasing company to terminate the lease, expecting that the security deposit would be returned when the premises is relet. ...

01/12/2009 | Category » Lease Termination  State » FL  #14968
Am I entitled to my deposit back since I canceled before I ever moved in?

I have signed a standard apartment lease contract in Miami, Florida and because of a family emergency I had to cancel it within 2 days of signing it. I signed it the January 14 to move in on January 16 but on the 16th I had cancel it. I don't have the keys to the apartment and I ...

01/20/2009 | Category » Lease Termination  State » FL  #15029
Can I be sued for breach of contract if I foreclose on a rental property?

I am a landlord and I am foreclosing on my property that has a tenant who has a 1 year lease contract. Can I be sued for breach of contract if I terminate their lease after giving them 30 days notice.

01/21/2009 | Category » Lease Termination  State » CA  #15036
Do I have a legal claim to pursue the money owed to me on a lease that was terminated early?

I entered into a 5-year (60 month) lease agreement with a company to rent my property. The company operates an assisted living facility for the mentally impaired. Due to mismanagement of funds, the company went into State Receivership (similar to bankruptcy) . The company petiti...

01/23/2009 | Category » Lease Termination  State » MD  #15055
Does the Pay To Quit notices from the landlord terminate my lease if I had paid?

I have six more months until my lease contract is up. I am a student and decided to move to Ellensburg to continue my education after getting my AA degree. I gave my landlord notice that I would be out at the end of January and I paid them rent through January. They sent me a th...

01/24/2009 | Category » Lease Termination  State » WA  #15058
When is the appropriate time to give a thirty day notice when moving?

I'm on a month-to-month rental which began on June 1, 2008. My agreement requires 30 day notice of cancellation. Can I send notification on any other day or must the 30 day period begin only on the first of a month?

02/04/2009 | Category » Lease Termination  State » AZ  #15153
Can I be sued if I was never on the lease?

I lived for six months with a couple of friends. I had a verbal agreement with my friends to pay them for living in one of their bedrooms. We were all evicted because my friends were not paying their rent. Now my friend's landlord is suing all of us for back rent, despite the ...

02/06/2009 | Category » Lease Termination  State » AK  #15169
Can a tenant willfully waive his rights of eviction under Florida's landlord/tenant law chapter 83?

I am a landlord of a sober living recovery residence. Can a tenant willfully waive his/her rights of eviction under Florida's landlord/tenant law chapter 83 Florida statutes? Which legal waiver can be used?

02/08/2009 | Category » Lease Termination  State » FL  #15198
How can you break a renters lease sooner than 30 days?

02/09/2009 | Category » Lease Termination  State » CA  #15211
What is Squatter Rights and can they be used to keep me from moving?

I had a rental agreement when the person I was renting from died. I had been on the land for four years. Do I have Squatter Rights? Also, as it stands, they have given me 20 days to move my home. I need help and advice on what to do.

02/10/2009 | Category » Lease Termination  State » NC  #15217
Can landlord hold me responsible for rent after I beoke my lease since they kept my deposit?

I had to break an apartment lease five months early because of financial hardship. I gave proper notice and followed the proper procedure. The complex kept my $1800 + security deposit to cover part of the remainder of the lease. Now, they want me to pay the remainder despite th...

02/11/2009 | Category » Lease Termination  State » CA  #15223
What can I do since I am bring sued for rent by my former landlord while I am in the army?

I received a court summons from the General District court in Virginia. The Plaintiff is the property management company where I payed rent on an apartment I signed a lease for. I was in the military at the time I received orders to relocate before the apartment lease was up. I ...

02/12/2009 | Category » Lease Termination  State » CA  #15236
If my roommates broke into my room while I was away, does this violate the lease?

I recently moved to North Carolina to be with my husband during his homecoming from Iraq. I am still paying rent on my house Morgantown. While in my absence I found written proof that my other housemates broke into my room with out permission from me. I am still paying rent for t...

02/12/2009 | Category » Lease Termination  State » MD  #15237
Is a soldier responsible for the lease if he is deployed after signing?

An Army Lieutenant and family of five with wife signing lease also moves to Alaska and begins lease at my residence. The Lieutenant wants the lease for 3 years, but my wife says let's see how one year goes. He knew he was going to be deployed. Base housing would not be availab...

02/22/2009 | Category » Lease Termination  State » NV  #15329
Did the landlord terminate the lease by not having the apartment ready for me to move in?

I live in Missouri. I signed a lease 2 weeks ago to move into the apartment today Monday the 23rd. None of the repairs to the apartment were made that needed to be made in those 2 weeks. I am supposed to take possesion of the apartment today but it is not ready to live in: had...

02/23/2009 | Category » Lease Termination  State » MO  #15330
What are my options if a tenant refuses to honor 30 day termination notice?

Year to Year lease with provision for either party to terminate with a 30 day written notice. I have a tenant who claims she gave a verbal notice on 2/8. She sent me an email today stating she will be out on 3/14. I replied she has to give 30day written notice and i consider this...

02/25/2009 | Category » Lease Termination  State » AZ  #15365
How do we provide proof to the landlord of our 60 day notice?

We had a one year signed lease which expired on 4/1/08. We are now month to month. We have had numerous issues with the landlord and wish to move out. He has $1950 deposit from us as this represents a month and a half. My husband verbally informed the landlord on 2/1/09 of ou...

02/28/2009 | Category » Lease Termination  State » NJ  #15393
Can one break lease under mental distress from the landlord, without losing deposit money?

Can one break lease under mental distress from the landlord, without losing deposit money? When I came here it was with the understanding that when my dying mother came to visit from abroad that my sons dog could come to visit and give mental rest for a sick woman. Now, if the do...

03/03/2009 | Category » Lease Termination  State » FL  #15426
What is the law regarding Lease Termination in Kansas?

I gave my landlord 30 days written, notarized notice that I was terminating my lease. The manager said the apartment was the cleanest she had ever seen. Now, however, she is telling me I owe her for the remainder of the lease. I thought as long as I gave her the written notice...

03/10/2009 | Category » Lease Termination  State » KS  #15533
Terms for Eviction

If you have a tenant that is usually late with the rent and is now become very verbally abusive. She makes harassing phone calls. Went totally off on me and later said that I threatened her with a broom. Luckily four other tenants witnessed her abusive behavior and the fact that ...

03/12/2009 | Category » Lease Termination  State » CO  #15597
How do I force my stepson and his wife out of our home since they do not pay?

My step son and step daughter-in-law have been living in the home with my husband and me for the past year and a half. I have endured a lot of harassment and verbal abuse and have asked them to leave. They keep telling my husband and me they are not moving out until they find a p...

03/15/2009 | Category » Lease Termination  State » NJ  #15636
What procedure do I need to take to answer a 3-day or quit notice?

03/21/2009 | Category » Lease Termination  State » CA  #15711
What is the process for serving someone out of state?

When filing a civil claim and complaint in the state of Washington where I had a tenant who left owing rent,etc. and moved to CA. Can I file in Washington and have them served by a process server in CA.? I did this and the judge said there was a problem with jurisdiction and th...

03/23/2009 | Category » Lease Termination  State » WA  #15734
What is needed to terminate the lease of a weekly tenant?

I have a roomate and I rent to him on a weekly basis and he pays me rent on a weekly basis. Will any of your forms work in this situation? Also, will I need a special 'Writ of Possession' document for this situation? I have been told I do from our sheriffs dept because of the fac...

03/24/2009 | Category » Lease Termination  State » FL  #15747
Can I move out if the lease if up and has not been renewed?

A buddy and I rented a house together. He signed the lease but I did not. His girlfriend has been staying there every night without payment toward rent or utilities. This was not part of the agreement. We had a verbal agreement only. The original agreement was for 1 year, th...

03/27/2009 | Category » Lease Termination  State » UT  #15795
Termination of Lease in California

My wife and I rented out our condominium in San Francisco (our primary residence) on a 1 year lease last May. We wish to reoccupy our condo at the end of the 1 year lease. I have given the tenant 60 days notice to quit by e-mail. Although the tenant has not indicated any resistan...

03/27/2009 | Category » Lease Termination  State » CA  #15796
Is a landlord allowed to refuse a written 30 day notice after the property has been vacated?

Is a landlord allowed to refuse a written 30 day termination notice after the property has been vacated? Landlord has been given keys, has done a walk through and has received a rent payment for the last month for an amount over our security deposit. He now states the notice is n...

03/28/2009 | Category » Lease Termination  State » AR  #15800
What is the proper notice to terminate a tenant lease because I have sold the home?

I own property that I have been renting out for over a year to the same tenant. The first year was on a 1 year lease agreement which expired with no new lease agreement. The tenant just pays month to month since it expired. I decided to sell my home so I contracted a real estate ...

03/28/2009 | Category » Lease Termination  State » CA  #15806
What can my son do about his violent roommate in regards to terminating the lease?

My son lives in the State of Virginia in Fredrick County. He is renting a condo with a roommate that expires January 2010. His roommate drinks a lot and gets violent and threatens to do physical harm to my son (this usually occurs with the roommate and his buddies helping him)....

03/30/2009 | Category » Lease Termination  State » VA  #15815
What does 'Normal ware and tear' mean as used in a rental agreement?

What does 'Normal ware and tear' mean as used in a rental agreement? Reference: Carpet ware and tare. The location is a old age nursing home where the rooms are dealt with as rental units. Rental agreement is ending.

03/31/2009 | Category » Lease Termination  State » CA  #15833
Termination of Lease in New York Due to Sewer Backup Repair and Lack of Access

These questions are for my son who lives in New York. I am unable to live in my apartment because the sewer backed up and the landlord must clean and replace all the flooring. I've been out since March 23 and won't be back in for another week or more (April 2nd). I was require...

04/02/2009 | Category » Lease Termination  State » PA  #15855
What are my options when dealing with the smell coming from me neighbor's apartment?

I am exposed to almost constant incense burning from the people who live on top of my unit. Unlike the incense burning I endured a few years ago, this smell makes me nauseated and my face swells up. Yet everyone I have called in management and housing tells me that it is within t...

04/06/2009 | Category » Lease Termination  State » VA  #15899
How do I terminate tenants lease to sell before the bank forecloses?

I have leased my home under a 1 year lease. There are 6 months remaining on lease. The bank just called my note due and have requested that I do a Short Sale. Payments are current but my rights are limited because I'm in a construction loan. I've accepted an offer on my home wh...

04/09/2009 | Category » Lease Termination  State » GA  #15937
What are my rights to the home I have cohabitated in for 11 years?

I live in Utah and I live with a significant other whom I have lived with for 11 years. A new person has come into her life and this new person called me and told me she was going to remove my property from the residence. My roomate (significant other) has not asked me to leave n...

04/13/2009 | Category » Lease Termination  State » UT  #15975
What are my son's options to terminate his lease due to a job transfer?

My son, who works for the Justice Department is transferring to San Francisco. He has a lease for 1 year. How can he negotiated getting out of the lease. He does have a letter of trasher and date to report to his new job. This is a question concerning my son, who lives in Phoenix.

04/16/2009 | Category » Lease Termination  State » VT  #16030
Am I still responsible for rent since I am terminating the lease for repairs not made?

I have a rental lease/house. The porch has leaked since we moved in 3 years ago and has not been repaired. It still leaks and is sinking. I wrote letter to the landlord in February 2009 and spoke to her September 2008 when we signed new lease to address the issue. I pay rent on ...

04/19/2009 | Category » Lease Termination  State » FL  #16048
If I terminate my lease early, how ill that effect my roommates?

My two roommates and I now have a written month-to-month lease with our landlord--it was converted to a month-to-month after the first year. The lease requires a 30-day notice to terminate. I want to move out and terminate my obligations under the lease, but my roommates tell m...

04/21/2009 | Category » Lease Termination  State » ID  #16078
If a tenant decides not to move in, what monies does landlord have to legally return?

If a tenant decides 8 days into a signed month-to-month lease that she doesn't want to move in and wants ALL money back, meaning deposit AND that whole months rent, is the landlord liable to pay everything back? I, (the landlord) offered to give her the ENTIRE deposit back even t...

04/23/2009 | Category » Lease Termination  State » CA  #16102
Can I terminate my lease if I just signed it less than a week ago?

Can I cancel my yearly lease agreement without damages if my lease term has not yet begun and I just signed the lease less than a week ago?

04/25/2009 | Category » Lease Termination  State » KS  #16130
Can I terminate the lease and get my deposit back if I have not even moved in?

I recently signed a one year lease to take effect on the 30th of this month, due to the landlord not following through with prior agreements, I want to terminate the lease... Can I get the money back I paid for the deposit and one month rent? The house is still trashed and nothin...

04/25/2009 | Category » Lease Termination  State » CA  #16132
How to terminate lease and ask tenant to move

I own a house in Texas and it has been rented to tenants by a rental management company. I recently found out that I am transferring back to Texas. The tenant has signed a lease agreement that will not expire until October of 2008. I am moving in June, and prefer to live in the h...

04/27/2009 | Category » Lease Termination  State » TX  #16171
What are the proper procedures for eviction when tenants have violated the lease?

My house is in Ohio and I just found out from the realtor my tenants have 2 pets a dog and a cat in the house. The lease states 'Tenants not permitted to keep any pets on the premise'. Can I terminate their contract and have them to vacate the premise by giving them 30 days not...

04/27/2009 | Category » Lease Termination  State » OH  #16214
I am being asked to pay back rent after I verbally terminated my lease and received my deposit

I signed a lease for a year. With three months to go on that lease, I wanted to move out. One of my roommates had a friend take over the lease. The landlord and other tenants gave me the verbal 'ok' to move out so that the new tenant could move in. The landlord even gave me my de...

04/28/2009 | Category » Lease Termination  State » ALL  #16298
Am I liable for the rent even if I moved out by the first if I did not give a 30 day notice?

I signed a 1 year lease with a landlord from December 2006-December 2007. I no longer was on a lease; it was month to month. I did not sign another lease agreement. I moved out of the house January 1, 2008. Am I responsible for paying that months rent? I signed an agreement lease...

04/29/2009 | Category » Lease Termination  State » MS  #16365
How much notice am I entitled to if I rent my RV space month to month?

I have my motor home parked in a R.V. here in Bexar Co. I have been renting by the month. Yesterday I received a three day notice to move. I believe I should have at least a month. Am I mistaken? We did have a diesel spill due to a fuel inlet tube but I cleaned it up using an a...

04/29/2009 | Category » Lease Termination  State » TX  #16463
My lease does not cover early termination and I am not able to fulfill payment of full lease

A family member had to leave a rental and move from the area due to a health emergency. Only 5 months were used and 5 months remained on the lease period and a last month's rent was also serving as security deposit, refundable 'subject to payment of all outstanding bills and ...

05/04/2009 | Category » Lease Termination  State » ALL  #16538
What are my options if I was served with a three day eviction notice?

My landlord served us with papers to pay rent or leave within three days. I lost my job and wanted to pay it with my tax refund. Yesterday I received a notice to vacate by 3/16/08. I have to leave by Sunday. It's impossible with 5 children and no where to go, what can I do?

05/04/2009 | Category » Lease Termination  State » CA  #16557
Can I terminate a tenant's lease if their child is causing problems with other tenants?

As a Landlord do I have the right to terminate a lease due to my tenant’s child causing a problem to the neighbors? Can the neighbors sue me for not terminating the lease?

05/04/2009 | Category » Lease Termination  State » MS  #16558
Can we terminate our lease and get our money if we have not een moved in?

Yesterday May 3rd, My husband and I signed a lease to start renting a house starting June 1st. We wrote a check for $2,400 ($1,200 June Rent/$1,200 security dep). Today May 4 (24 hrs later) my husband got turned down for social security disability. Is there a period of time in wh...

05/04/2009 | Category » Lease Termination  State » CA  #16564
What is the legal process for terminating a month-to-month lease and receiving my deposit back?

I moved out from my last apartment in November 20th, 2007. Technically I was supposed to give 30 days notice and I did not. I gave them 10 days notice but I asked Manager Assistant if that was going to be a problem since I did not have a contract. My legal contract expired in Oct...

05/05/2009 | Category » Lease Termination  State » ALL  #16588
Can someone be evicted for not paying my late fees?

Can someone be evicted for not paying my late fees? This is information I need for my daughter who lives in California.

05/12/2009 | Category » Lease Termination  State » FL  #16646
How do I force my former girlfriend out of my house since we are no longer together?

There has been a female living at my house (adult) since late January. We have broken up and I want her out of my house. She has never paid rent even though we had verbally agreed she would. Since we were together I was not enforcing this. She is now causing disturbances in my ho...

05/12/2009 | Category » Lease Termination  State » KS  #16649
How do I force someone living at my home rent free to get out?

I have some people living in my house and they are not paying any rent or utilities. Can I just tell them to get out? I have informed them that they must be out by the first of April 09 and they are still there what recorse do I have?

05/13/2009 | Category » Lease Termination  State » IL  #16662
What funds am I obligated to return if the tenant decided not to move in?

I have a tenant with a signed 6 month lease who has decided not to move in. Thay say they gave me verbal notice on May 10th and since they have given me first and security they want to give me 1 month's rent through July 10th. The rent was $1300 plus home owners association of $...

05/15/2009 | Category » Lease Termination  State » FL  #16677
If I have a tenant who never signed the lease can I have them removed from the property?

If I rented to a couple and I never signed the lease and only one who did is on the run from the police. The girlfriend and kid were left behind and has lots of family in the area. My question is since I never signed and returned a copy is this a binding contract, is she just tre...

05/15/2009 | Category » Lease Termination  State » WA  #16686
Can my employer who is my landlord evict me from the property since I am out on workers comp?

I am an On-Site Manager of a storage facility, I have 3 worker's comp claims, the 1st one was for both my hands of which I will be having surgery within the next 2 months, the 2nd claim is for my knee of which I will be having surgery next week, the third is for stress when they ...

05/24/2009 | Category » Lease Termination  State » CA  #16768
What can my older daughter do to have my younger daughter removed from her home as she is a threat?

On 2/20/09, my older daughter (age30) allowed my younger daughter (age 22) to stay at her rental home in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania for three months. This verbal agreement was then extended on 5/15/09 for an additional 5 days. Since then the younger has had young males hanging ...

05/24/2009 | Category » Lease Termination  State » PA  #16772
My tenants of two years just signed a lease but now want to terminate before new lease takes effect

I am a landlord for a house in Portland, OR. I have a tenant that has occupied the house for 2 years, signing and renewing a 1-year lease agreement. We agreed to do a 6-month addition and I received a signed agreement. Now they want to cancel. The new lease was not set to take ef...

05/26/2009 | Category » Lease Termination  State » OR  #16783
What are the cohabitation laws in Illinois regarding evicting former partner?

My nephew in Virginia has restraining order against him by his ex-girlfriend living in his trailer that he owns. Judge says he can't kick her out because she might become homeless and lawyer says he has to keep paying utilities. This has been going on for over eight months. What ...

05/26/2009 | Category » Lease Termination  State » VA  #16785
If I fulfilled my lease do I have to give a notice to move?

I had a lease in Atlanta, Georgia of 13 month duration. At the end of the lease I was told that in order to move out I must provide 60 days written notice. The landlord is now demanding that I pay 3 months additional rent or they will turn the matter over to collections. Since...

06/03/2009 | Category » Lease Termination  State » GA  #16856
What is the proper way to terminate a tenants lease without reason?

The lease expired April-11-09, two of four tenants moved out. The remaining two tenants said they will find two more tenants and want to sign a new lease. Things not working out, I don't think they can afford the rent. I would like for them to move out in 30 days. Which notice d...

06/05/2009 | Category » Lease Termination  State » CA  #16872
If I demolish my apartment building am I obligated to provide alternate housing to elderly/disabled?

If I wish to demolish my multi-family building in Atlantic City New Jersey as per NJSA A 18-61.1 H. Do I need to meet any of the other requirements such as providing alternate housing for seniors and the disabled?

06/08/2009 | Category » Lease Termination  State » NJ  #16907
Can New Jersey Remove Tenants Without a Court Eviction Process?

About a year ago I rented a house here in Cherry Hill to a family with three children. I had worked with the father for a couple years about 10 years ago. He is not the same person today he was then. They are now four months behind with their rent, their electricity has been of...

06/13/2009 | Category » Lease Termination  State » NJ  #16952
Can I Not Refund the Security Deposit for A Breach of Lease by Tenant Smoking?

My tenant violated the lease by smoking in the home. Is this a breach of contract and cause for not receiving any of the security deposit back?

06/17/2009 | Category » Lease Termination  State » VA  #17022
How Much Can My Rent be Raised at Renewal Time in Missisippi?

My husband and I are currently leasing an apartment from an apartment complex and our lease is up for renewal next month (July). As of June 10, 2009 I haven't received any renewal notices, so on that day my husband walked over to the office and spoke with the new apartment man...

06/19/2009 | Category » Lease Termination  State » MS  #17084
How Do I Terminate a Lease Early in New Hampshire?

I've become unemployed and will soon be in a position of no longer being able to afford the monthly rate. I signed a 2 year lease and currently have 14 months remaining. How can I terminate the lease without suffering financial damages for failure to pay on the remaining term of ...

06/25/2009 | Category » Lease Termination  State » NH  #17200
If I have not accepted the keys, Can I Terminate the Lease Early?

If I have signed a lease and have not yet taken possession of keys or received a copy of the signed lease by the owners and decide I don't want to live there, am I entitled to my security deposit back and am I legally obligated to fulfill the lease? A realtor told me I am entitle...

06/25/2009 | Category » Lease Termination  State » VA  #17201
Can I Be Forced to Move if I Lived in My Mother's House for 35 Years?

I have been living in my mother's house and taking care of it for 35 years. Now, they tell me to get out because they want to sell it. Do they have the right to do this and is there any rights for me?

06/26/2009 | Category » Lease Termination  State » LA  #17208
Can I Terminate the Lease for Train Noise?

I signed a year lease on a rental home in June. There is a train crossing a mile away. Since we are up on a hill the trains whistle can be heard at all hours of the night. As a light sleeper the noise is unbearable and has effected my ability to get a good nights rest. I am...

06/26/2009 | Category » Lease Termination  State » CO  #17209
How Do I Evict a Tenant in Massachusetts?

My tenant in Florida owes me $2,550.00 in past due rent as of June 29th, 2009, and late fees totaling $560.00. Total due $3,110.00. His lease expired in October 2008 and has been renting month to month, without a lease. He claimed he wanted to purchase the property. He c...

06/29/2009 | Category » Lease Termination  State » MA  #17235
How Does a Landlord Terminate a Lease in the District of Columbia?

I am a landlord in Washington, DC. My tenant's lease expires in one month and there is no notice period written into the lease. Is a 30 day notice sufficient?

06/30/2009 | Category » Lease Termination  State » DC  #17274
What Happens to the Current Lease if I Sell the Property in Missouri?

We as landlords recently entered into a two year lease/rental contract of our house. It had been on the market for about a year and a half as we have not been able to sell it. After only leasing the house now for 3 weeks, a very serious couple has approached us 'again' now wanti...

07/02/2009 | Category » Lease Termination  State » MO  #17311
How Do I Avoid Eviction in Arizona is I have been served with eviction papers?

I live in a house in Arizona where our signed lease agreement went out last April. We have been paying rent since then without signing a new lease. My wife was involved in a car accident on May 15, taken to an emergency room, missed 2 days of work, and so on. We had to pay a $100...

07/06/2009 | Category » Lease Termination  State » AZ  #17355
What Can I Do To Terminate Lease When I Failed To Give Timely Notice?

My daughter has a one year lease set to expire in August 2009. She wants to relocate to NYC. She gave a written notice within 60 days of the lease expiring but the lease requires a 90 day notice. My daughter is moving by the end of August. The landlord automatically renewed her l...

07/06/2009 | Category » Lease Termination  State » NY  #17364
Can I Have Tenants Sign New Lease If I Let Old Lease Expire By Accident?

My wife and I have been renting our investment property (a 4 bedroom house) to a young couple for 2 years now. The first year's contract was a 1 year lease; the year 2 contract was a lease extension which expired on June 14, 2009. Due to a serious family health situation, I inadv...

07/06/2009 | Category » Lease Termination  State » CA  #17365
Can a Security Deposit Be Reatained By Landlord in Georgia?

We leased our house out in 2001. The lease stated if rent was not paid by the 5th it would incur a 10% late fee. Our tenant paid the first and last months rent as well as a deposit. He paid the rent after the 5th on many occasions, but never paid the late fees. We informed h...

07/09/2009 | Category » Lease Termination  State » GA  #17405
What is the Tenant's Right to Cure in California?

After you are served a notice to vacate by writ of possession, is the ability to pay the outstanding money owed to the landlord to rectify the situation and continue with the terms set forth in the lease or will I still need to vacate?

07/10/2009 | Category » Lease Termination  State » CA  #17478
Can I Rescind A Nonrenewal of My Lease in Washington?

My daughter, son-in-law, and granddaughter are currently in a lease til the end of August. They had thought they might move after the lease is up but before they had time to even look around the manager of their apartment had them sign that they would not be renewing their lease....

07/14/2009 | Category » Lease Termination  State » WA  #17536
How Does New Jersey Landlord Remove Tenants?

My mother has a 2 family home which she rents the 2nd floor. She's had this home for 40 years. She has a family living upstairs that have become a problem. She does not have a lease with them. When she rented the apartment she did not know the wife was pregnant with her 3rd c...

07/20/2009 | Category » Lease Termination  State » NJ  #17667
Is an Oral Accord and Satisfaction Enforceable?

Im currently moving out of a place I rented for 13 months. My lease is payed in full and expires July 28, 2009. The notice required to move out is 60 days. I was out of town and gave 45 day notice. Since the lease requires 60 days I was told to stay half of the next month aft...

07/24/2009 | Category » Lease Termination  State » VA  #17794
What is a Landlord's Duty to Mitigate for Early Termination?

I broke a lease mid June. The landlord has turned down every applicant in the last month and a half. At the moment he does not have it advertised as he is out of town. A friend of mine placed an application 3 days ago - the landlord said that it looked good and would call him ...

07/25/2009 | Category » Lease Termination  State » CO  #17796
How Does New Jersey Landlord Remove Tenant That Was A Boyfriend?

My daughter has been living with this guy for the past two years in a house that SHE owns. All the bank accounts, bills and utilities are in her name because he has no credit. Their relationship has run its course and she has asked him to move out. His reply was that she has t...

07/27/2009 | Category » Lease Termination  State » NJ  #17832
Can I Get Out of My Lease Early If I Have A Roommate?

I moved in with a roommate and signed a lease for three months and after three months we will be on a month to month basis. After three weeks into this I just cannot stay here. My roommate has all kinds of mood swings. We are just not getting along. My question is, can I break t...

07/28/2009 | Category » Lease Termination  State » CA  #17835
What is a Warranty of Habitability?

If I never signed a lease but my boyfriend did, am I legally responsible for breaking the lease due to promises of things to be done upon moving in? These things still not been completed 3 mo later there are no smoke alarms the back stairs are brokeand unsafe I have pictures wher...

07/30/2009 | Category » Lease Termination  State » MA  #17875
Can a 3 Day Notice Be Used to Evict a Tenant in Colorado?

We are being evicted from our apartment and are being told to get out in 3 days. Do we have to leave?

03/31/2010 | Category » Lease Termination  State » CO  #21611
How do I respond to a 5 day notice when I cannot find another place to rent?

I rent a unit in Harwood Heights Illinois. Since January of 2011. I had an ossie with bedbugs. I had to get rid off all my furniture. My father who was my roommate left in April, 2011. Do to the problem and health issues.This cpst me a lost of income. I am also on disabilit...

04/28/2011 | Category » Lease Termination  State » IL  #24742