Landlord Tenant Legal Questions and Answers

How do I get rid of abandoned personal property before new tenants move into my rental unit?

My tenant moved from Tucson to Phoenix. He had been planning his move for the past 3 months. He left behind some of his belongings, which includes a bike, a television set and a recliner sofa chair, in the rental unit. He is not coming back anytime soon and I have to clear out the unit before the next tenant moves in. What are my options?

11/10/2016   |   Category: Landlord Tenant   |   State: Arizona   |   #26496

Is a married couple equally responsible for rent on a lease?

A married couple are being evicted for non payment of rent and past due late charges, are they equally responsible for these monies.

11/05/2016   |   Category: Landlord Tenant   |   State: Alabama   |   #26237

My landlord and I have no rental agreement. If I get behind in Rent can he just lock me out and put my things outside?

My landlord and I have no rental agreement. I have paid rent every month until last month I explained to him that I lost my job and would do what I could to get him rent ASAP. I filed for emergency assistance to help pay the rent for last month and this. Today he sends me a new via Facebook that he is going to put my things in the yard and he can because there is no rental agre...

11/02/2016   |   Category: Landlord Tenant   |   State: Montana   |   #26087

My daughter use to live with me and was on my lease but is off now. Can the landlord let her in my apartment?

My daughter use to live with me and was on my lease. She left and was taken off my lease, can my lqndlord let her into my apartment if i am not home?

10/28/2016   |   Category: Landlord Tenant   |   State: Missouri   |   #25782

If there is no written contract would rent be month-to-month?

My father owns property in Rutherford County, NC that he has rented to a church group for the past 36 months (or so) to be used as a worship center. No written agreement was ever put in place. He has offered the property to them several times for sale but they have been unable to secure funding. Now they suddenly feel that the rent money they have been paying is considered p...

05/05/2009   |   Category: Landlord Tenant   |   State: North Carolina   |   #16589

What is considered reasonable and beyond wear and tear?

This past weekend, our tenant of 11 years moved. She was a Section 8 tenant and moved in to the apartment after it had been completely renovated and updated after a major fire, so everything was brand new and she was the sole tenant from 1999 to the present. She went on Section 8 in 2001 or 2002. Within the next 30 days, we'll be giving her back the security deposit. But, w...

05/05/2009   |   Category: Landlord Tenant   |   State: Massachusetts   |   #16579

Am I legally obligated to provide my 26 year old a place to live?

We have a 26 year old daughter that lives with us. We have recently found out that she has a serious drug problem and she has willingly gone to rehab. My question is that when she returns from rehab are we legally obligated to let her stay here if she goes back to drugs. I have told her that we will not condone drug use in our house ever again and she swears that she will neve...

05/04/2009   |   Category: Landlord Tenant   |   State: New Jersey   |   #16553

What is the maximum increase that a landlord can get on a non stabilized apartment in New York?

What is the maximum increase (%) that a landlord can get on a non stabilized apartment, one year lease, in New York City . Do they have to provide more than a one year lease if asked?

05/04/2009   |   Category: Landlord Tenant   |   State: New York   |   #16545

New property management company is requiring tenants to sign new lease/terms. Is this necessary?

I have lived in a mobile home park since September of 2005. We did pay our rent in cash but since December of 05 we have paid by check. We recently had a change of management, now they want a few of us to sign a rental agreement valid for 7 months only after which they can let you go or resign an agreement. My question is: Is there not a grandfather clause that would apply? If...

04/30/2009   |   Category: Landlord Tenant   |   State: California   |   #16488

My landlord sold the property and my lease is not up for another two months

My lease for a room in a private home (not owner occupied) is in force until July 2008. The owner has just sold the home, there is no words in the lease agreement regarding lease termination in this situation. I am told I will probably be required to move out with 60 days notice. The owners want to move in the end of May. What are my rights? Do I qualify for compensation for b...

04/29/2009   |   Category: Landlord Tenant   |   State: ALL   |   #16452