Landlord Tenant » Repairs Legal Questions & Answers

How do I locate the owner of my condo to make needed repairs?

I can't locate the owner of my rental condo. The air-conditioner broke down. It's hot in the condo, and I can't get in touch with him. I won't pay the rent until I reach him. What should I do? I first entered into a lease with The Property Management, which were rental units that...

04/02/2007 | Category » Repairs  State » FL  #2519
What can I do to force the landlord into making repairs that may cause medical problems?

What are my rights when my landlord does not do anything about needed repairs that could cause harmful medical conditions?

04/04/2007 | Category » Repairs  State » VA  #2604
As a tenant what are my options if the landlord does not fix the heat and it is cold?

As a tenant, what can I do if the landlord has not fixed the boiler and there has not been any heat for at least five weeks? It's cold!

04/08/2007 | Category » Repairs  State » MI  #2785
When are repairs considered safety issues?

I am in a rental lease for 1 year. There is a clause that states that I must pay for any repairs that fall under $250.00. I had to call a plumber to snake out my sewer drains that lead to the main one outside. He pulled out a couple of handfuls of tree roots. I need to know i...

05/03/2007 | Category » Repairs  State » MI  #3702
Can we terminate the lease if landlord has not made needed repairs?

We just moved into a rental on February 22, 2007 from the state of Indiana. The home is a raised ranch with a 3/4 finished basement. The basement has a spare bedroom (carpeted) and a family room with a bar (carpeted). On April 14th we had a severe storm and the spare bedroom ...

05/07/2007 | Category » Repairs  State » PA  #3987
What can we do if the landlord refuses to make needed repairs to the house?

My husband and I have been renting a house and we were planning on purchasing it. Unfortunatly the house has many repairs that no bank will finance. The landlord has had the utilities in his name and when we explained to him that we were unable to finance the house until he fixes...

05/08/2007 | Category » Repairs  State » OH  #4139
Can my daughter move out without notice if her landlord has not made requested repairs after months?

My daughter is renting in Kansas. She has lived in the basement apt for 6mo of her yr lease. She has noticed black mold growing on the ceiling and she has a window that leaks when it rains-causing a wet carpet. Her landlord has been told of the mold-but is not doing anything to c...

05/11/2007 | Category » Repairs  State » KS  #4522
How many days is a landlord suppose to have to do repairs in an apartment upon notification?

How many days is a landlord suppose to have to do repairs in an apartment upon notification? There is a leak in my apartment that has produced mold and mildew, landlord does not seem to care. What can I do under Senate bill 5049? Speaking of not caring this has been the trend i...

05/19/2007 | Category » Repairs  State » SC  #5308
Does the tenant or the landlord have to pay for phoneline installation?

I rent a room in my property. My tenant wants to install her own phone line, but found out that there is no wiring installed on my property for a second phone line. Who is in charge of these expenses? for the wiring installation?

05/25/2007 | Category » Repairs  State » CA  #5944
What can I do about the mold growing on my walls and can it kill my children?

Mold is growing on my walls. Is it unhealthy for my children and can it kill? Is there any resources for this problem?

09/24/2007 | Category » Repairs  State » CA  #9008
Is the landlord liable for anything we do not have renter insurance on?

we just had a major leak that flooded with 1in of water in the master bedroom and bath and other 2 rooms and part of the hall we have to remove all of our furniture in all 3 rooms and dining room and we can not stay in the house they are going to check for mold and tear the wa...

10/05/2007 | Category » Repairs  State » CA  #9729
How much notice should be given to tenants by landlord when asking to evacuate building for repairs?

Can a landlord of an apartment complex make the tenants evacuate the building to fix a supposed "plumbing" problem. If so how much notice has to be given. When we first moved in we were advised about the problem and was told that we would only be able to sign a six month lease ...

10/18/2007 | Category » Repairs  State » TN  #10492
Landlord's Obligation to Maintain Premises

What is the landlords responsibility as to the possible presence of mold? I have verbally told him and put it in writing. It has been 2 months and he has made no efforts to even have the home checked. There are 9 people in the home and at any given time there are 4-5 with differe...

10/23/2007 | Category » Repairs  State » FL  #10761
How can I fight the landlord charging me for total renovations when it was not necessary?

RE: A security deposit retained by landlord. 1. I rented apt for almost 3 years 2. I had a refundable security deposit and a seperate refundable pet deposit. A total of $895.00. 3. There were a number of burn holes the landlord found in carpet, at which I found maybe 5. The c...

10/26/2007 | Category » Repairs  State » CO  #11034
What are my options to force my landlord into making electrical repairs?

I am in a 1 year lease on a rental house, the central air/ heat has never worked and now we have no electric in the main bathroom, the hallway and one of the bedrooms. The owner told us if anything went wrong while we were renting, we had to pay to fix it. I think the house had ...

10/30/2007 | Category » Repairs  State » OR  #11263
What can we do to force the landlord to make needed repairs?

We just moved into a house under a one year lease. The heating system is not working. We either have to turn it on or off so it is either too hot or too cold. The mornings are freezing. We've taken time off work twice for a repair person. The first visit determined an expensi...

11/01/2007 | Category » Repairs  State » OR  #11419
How often is the landlord required to replace carpet in a unit?

How often does landlord have to replace carpet?

11/04/2007 | Category » Repairs  State » IL  #11617
My landlord has filed a court action against me because I will not pay rent until he makes repairs

I have not paid my rent because there are maintainence issues that have been promised to complete and have been ignored. My landlord has filed against me in the courts for non-payment of rent, but I have been made broken prmises. What do I need to do?

11/05/2007 | Category » Repairs  State » MI  #11665
Can I terminate the lease if the repairs where not done properly and still get my deposit back?

I discovered a leak under my kitchen sink that had been leaking for sometime and finally the water came up throught the flooring into my kitchen and living room. Mold started to grow immediately. After being out of my rental trailer for over a week the repairs have been done. How...

11/07/2007 | Category » Repairs  State » TN  #11823
What can I do if the landlord is refusing to repair the only bathroom we have?

I live in my bi-level house and I rent the bottom half of that. My landlord seems to think that a backed up toilet is not his responsibility. We have only lived here 3 months and they said that if it is toilet paper then they do not have to fix it. Is he right? Meanwhile I am una...

11/09/2007 | Category » Repairs  State » MD  #11974

The following ar IL statutes:

(765 ILCS 742/5)

Sec. 5. Repair; deducti...

I'M NOT SURE WHO MY LANDLORD IS. THE MAN WHOM I PAY MY RENT TO IS A MAN WHO TELLS US THAT HE IS THE MANAGER. THE ONE ISSUE IS THAT MY CEILING IS LEAKING NOW FOR SEVERAL MONTHS. THE WASHROOM HAS NO SINK BECAUSE THEY CAME AND TOOK IT OUT ABOUT A MONTH AGO. NOW, MY WINDOWS ARE FALLI...

11/14/2007 | Category » Repairs  State » IL  #12269
Is it legal for the landlord to keep part of my deposit because she did not like the color paint?

My landlord withheld $150 of my security deposit because she did not like the color I painted the living room and dining room. The walls of the apartment had to painted when I moved in they were trashed! I paid for all the paint and supplies. I don't think it's right she kept my ...

11/30/2007 | Category » Repairs  State » NH  #13113
What can I do if the landlord has failed to make needed repairs?

Our front door has needed to be replaced for almost a year and the landlord knows about this. To replace it with the right kind of door, the price is very high. So he says he's going to have it done but don't know when. The weather is getting colder and we won't this fixed before...

12/01/2007 | Category » Repairs  State » GA  #13157
What can I do if my landlord refuses to make repairs and wants me to make them?

We have a fence in our backyard that needs repair and our landlord refuses to fix it. He says he will give us the materials to do it ourselves. Is that legal?

12/01/2007 | Category » Repairs  State » OK  #13180
Do I have the right to withhold a portion of the rent equal to the repair cost?

I am renting a house and recently paid to repair the refrigerator that belongs to the landlord. He is refusing to reimburse me for the repair cost. Our lease clearly states that the landlord is responsible for repairs in the home. The landlord is claiming that I am responsible...

01/15/2009 | Category » Repairs  State » MO  #15003
On a commercial rental with no lease, who absorbs the cost on a furnace that needs minor repairs?

01/31/2009 | Category » Repairs  State » PA  #15115
What are grounds for withholding rent?

Do any of the following constitute grounds to withhold rent (no non set-off language in lease): no hot water, no water in kitchen faucet, front door unable to be locked. In other words, do these conditions prove evidence of 'inhabitability'? Please provide references for backup.

03/12/2009 | Category » Repairs  State » NJ  #15570
Tenant's Ability to Repair and Deduct in Oregon

I live in California, but own a house in Oregon. My tenants installed carpet in the basement area and moved roommates into the basement and have now sent me a letter of intent to withhold rent for the damages. What can I do about this?

03/18/2009 | Category » Repairs  State » CA  #15681
What course of action can I take if against the landlord for not fixing leak in gas meter?

I have been without gas service for a week because of a leak. The gas company has locked the meter. The gas is for the range and water heater. I informed the landlord by phone on Friday, March 27. I searched gas contractors and prices in an effort to get someone out here but have...

04/02/2009 | Category » Repairs  State » FL  #15849
Who should make repairs to a leased property when the contract is unclear

I lease a metal building. We had a hail storm a few months back and the sky lights are leaking. My landlord says my insurance is supposed to cover it. My insurance company says I (they) are not responsible for the hail damage. My contract states: 'Tenant must maintain all risk...

04/14/2009 | Category » Repairs  State » ALL  #15987
Can a tenant legally withhold rent for repairs without written notice?

Can a tenant legally withhold rent for repairs without written notice and providing a verbal intent by telling a relative who is not a tenant on the lease?

06/05/2009 | Category » Repairs  State » KY  #16878
Can a tenant legally withhold rent for repairs in Illinois?

I live in a 4 story, 3 unit apartment complex. My apartment is the bottom two floors, and my room is in the basement floor. On Saturday night, people from the 2nd floor apartment came downstairs to ask for a plunger to repair an overflowing toilet. A few minutes later, water s...

07/21/2009 | Category » Repairs  State » IL  #17694
What Can I Do About Property in Need of Repair if the Landlord Can't be Located?

What recourse does a tenant have when the landlord cannot be located & the property is in disrepair & the tenant is making repairs exceeding $100K?

08/08/2011 | Category » Repairs  State » CA  #25297