How do I force my ex-wife to change her last name?

02/01/2007 - Name Change - State: WA #971

Full Question:

I was recently divorced and want my former wife to take my last name out of her name, but she doesn't want to. Do I have the legal right to force her to?


A person has a right to assume any name he or she lawfully chooses. Since the ex-wife acquired her last name legally (via marriage), you can not force her to change it.

The right to change one's name belongs to the individual whose name is being changed.

Please see the information at the following links: Please see the forms at the following links:

02/01/2007 - Category: Name Change - State: WA #971

See more Questions in the Name Change Category