Name Change Legal Questions and Answers

My step son wants to change his surname to mine but his Father refused to relinquish his rights. Can we change his name?

My step son wants to change his surname to mine, his father has never supported him and has rarely contacted him, but still refuses to relinquish his rights. I have been there for him for over five years. Can my wife and I change his name to our name?

10/27/2016   |   Category: Name Change   |   State: Illinois   |   #25779

Can I Change My Name in Nevada Without Hiring an Attorney?

Should I hire an attorney with regard to a name change?

09/15/2009   |   Category: Name Change   |   State: Nevada   |   #18618

Do I Need to Reside in the US to Change My Name?

I am an American citizen, living oversea for 12 years and intending to change legal name, last state of residence is Texas. My question is do I need to go back to US to change my name or can I do this through on line or mailing, and if I had to go back can apply through any state of point of entry?

08/03/2009   |   Category: Name Change   |   State: Texas   |   #17924

How Do I Change My Name in Missouri?

I need to have my birth certificate amended to the name I have been using since childhood. I have my social security card, driver's license, taxes and was married as Aungelita all have my name. When ordered birth certificate name is different. I have on all legal documents used first name Aungelita, my birth certificate says Angela. My situation is dfferent because I have no le...

07/28/2009   |   Category: Name Change   |   State: Missouri   |   #17846

How Do I Get Records of My Name Change in New Jersey?

I had my name changed legally in the mid 90's. I lost all my important documents. I now need proof of my name change for a visa related issue. I was born in NYC but had the name changed in New Jersey while I was living there. How do I obtain a copy of my name change?

07/08/2009   |   Category: Name Change   |   State: Florida   |   #17383

Is a Parent Required to Consent to Name Change of Minor in Louisiana?

My ex-wife remarried and moved to Louisiana with my son. I live in Washington state. I have found evidence of a last name change for my son with out my consent. Can she do this? It is my son's identity and who he was when he was born. I never divorced my son.

07/05/2009   |   Category: Name Change   |   State: Louisiana   |   #17339

How Do I Change My Name in Georgia?

I got married in 2006 and changed my surname to my husband's surname and my middle name to my maiden surname. This is the naming convention in the Philippines. At that time, I was still a US permanent resident. I had my social security, credit cards, bank accounts, insurance, driver's license and US green card (Permanent Resident Card) changed to assume this name. Last week...

06/23/2009   |   Category: Name Change   |   State: Georgia   |   #17135

How do I have my daughter's last name changed since I was found to be the father?

I have a daughter that is 9 years old. At the time of her birth there was question of paternity because her mother was married to another man. The mother is since divorced from said husband, paternity was settled identifying myself as her father and I now have joint custody of my daughter. The former husband executed a 'Denial of Paternity and Release of Rights' and was exclude...

05/28/2009   |   Category: Name Change   |   State: Tennessee   |   #16800

Where should I apply to have my name changed?

I was born in New York City and was married in Virginia. I have been divorced for 10 years and have been using my married name. I would like to go back to my maiden name. Should I do that in New York or Virginia?

05/19/2009   |   Category: Name Change   |   State: New York   |   #16720

How can I change my step son's name to my last name without adoption?

My step son wants to change his surname to mine, his father has never supported him and has rarely contacted him, but still refuses to relinquish his rights. I have been there for him for over ten years. Can my wife and I change his name to our name?

05/19/2009   |   Category: Name Change   |   State: Texas   |   #16714