How long does an executor have before a will is read?

02/01/2007 - Wills and Estates - State: GA #1205

Answer:

There is no set time. If an interested party believes that an unreasonable delay is occurring, he or she might write a letter similar to the following:

As you know, ________________________ passed away and left a Will. You are in possession of, or know, the location of the Will. Although I have requested a copy of the Will from you I have not received one. As a child of the deceased, I am entitled to a copy of the Will. In addition, the Will should be admitted to probate and is not effective until probated. No property should be sold or disposed of until the Will is probated and then only in accordance with the terms of the Will and laws of the State of Georgia in reference to the procedures and authority of executors to dispose of property. Please provide me with the requested copy and I will contact you to discuss how you intend to handle the estate.

Please see the information at the following links: Please see the forms at the following links:

02/01/2007 - Category: Wills and Estates - State: GA #1205

See more Questions in the Wills and Estates Category