How can I get my ex-fiancee’s belongings out of my house if he abandoned those?

Full Question:

Me and fiancee have been together 6 yrs but live in my house . We broke up 6 days ago and he hasn't been back to get anything nor will he answer my texts asking when will he get stuff out of my house . Just tells me I'm harassing him . When can I get his stuff out of my house when he wont answer or come get anything. We're located in Florida
06/08/2017   |   Category: Abandoned Property   |   State: Florida   |   #39557


You must give him a written notice asking to reclaim his stuff. You can deliver the notice to him either personally or through mail. If you personally delivered the notice to him, he has 10 days to reclaim his stuff from you, and 15 days to reclaim if you mail the notice. Before reclaiming, you can ask him to pay you for its moving and storage fees. If he does not claim his stuff within the said time, you can either sell it or dispose of it.

The following are the Florida statutes in this regard:
§ 715.104.  Notification of former tenant of personal property remaining on premises after tenancy has terminated.

(1) When personal property remains on the premises after a tenancy has terminated or expired and the premises have been vacated by the tenant, through eviction or otherwise, the landlord shall give written notice to such tenant and to any other person the landlord reasonably believes to be the owner of the property.

(2) The notice shall describe the property in a manner reasonably adequate to permit the owner of the property to identify it. The notice may describe all or a portion of the property, but the limitation of liability provided by s. 715.11 does not protect the landlord from any liability arising from the disposition of property not described in the notice, except that a trunk, valise, box, or other container which is locked, fastened, or tied in a manner which deters immediate access to its contents may be described as such without describing its contents. The notice shall advise the person to be notified that reasonable costs of storage may be charged before the property is returned, and the notice shall state where the property may be claimed and the date before which the claim must be made. The date specified in the notice shall be a date not fewer than 10 days after the notice is personally delivered or, if mailed, not fewer than 15 days after the notice is deposited in the mail.

(3) The notice shall be personally delivered or sent by first-class mail, postage prepaid, to the person to be notified at her or his last known address and, if there is reason to believe that the notice sent to that address will not be received by that person, also delivered or sent to such other address, if any, known to the landlord where such person may reasonably be expected to receive the notice.
§ 715.107.  Storage of abandoned property.

The personal property described in the notice either shall be left on the vacated premises or be stored by the landlord in a place of safekeeping until the landlord either releases the property pursuant to s. 715.108 or disposes of the property pursuant to s. 715.109. The landlord shall exercise reasonable care in storing the property, but she or he is not liable to the tenant or any other owner for any loss unless caused by the landlord's deliberate or negligent act.
§ 715.108.  Release of personal property.

(1) The personal property described in the notice shall be released by the landlord to the former tenant or, at the landlord's option, to any person reasonably believed by the landlord to be its owner, if such tenant or other person pays the reasonable costs of storage and advertising and takes possession of the property not later than the date specified in the notice for taking possession.

(2) Where personal property is not released pursuant to subsection (1) and the notice has stated that the personal property will be sold at a public sale, the landlord shall release the personal property to the former tenant if she or he claims it prior to the time it is sold and pays the reasonable costs of storage, advertising, and sale incurred prior to the time the property is withdrawn from sale.