Animals Legal Questions and Answers

Can My Landlord Deny a Service Animal if I am Bipolar?

I am a resident and co-owner of an apartment in a senior community in Seal Beach, CA. They allow only small dogs, or 'service dogs'. I signed a pet agreement six months ago when I moved in to care for my Mom.Recently, I asked for an exception to be made. I did not tell them directly that I have bipolar, but I submitted a letter from my doctor and signed a medical release. T...

02/27/2011   |   Category: Animals   |   State: California   |   #24306

Does a Horse Owner Need a Release Form in Arizona?

My question is concerning rodeo and horse property. We have a law in Arizona that you can not sue for damage or injury due to a horse event. Is this really true and does it mean I don't have to have a release form if someone rides on my property or if they are working my horses or their horse on my land. If they get injured could they sue me even though the Arizona law states t...

06/28/2009   |   Category: Animals   |   State: Arizona   |   #17226

How is Husbandry Defined in Federal or Connecticut Law?

What is the legal definition of animal husbandry for either the United States in general or the State of Connecticut?

06/24/2009   |   Category: Animals   |   State: Connecticut   |   #17165

How would I file a small claims lawsuit in Virginia?

On Saturday, 4 April while walking my dog, I past a home in my neighborhood whose door was left open, the tenant of that house owns a pit bull; Which charged out, unbeknowst to the owner of the dog, and attacked my dog and I. I received four puncture wounds in my right hand; My dog was bitten, and the attacking pit bull was not wearing a collar. The owner was not at home, but ...

05/12/2009   |   Category: Animals   |   State: Virginia   |   #16657

Is there a legal distinction between a horse and a pony?

I need to find a legal definition of a Horse vs a Pony? Is their a legal definition/distinction between the two animals?

04/29/2009   |   Category: Animals   |   State: ALL   |   #16458

Limits on Dog Ownership in Texas

After living in my home for 13 years, one of my dogs got out of my wooden 6 foot fence. I immediately called the police department who transferred me to animal control. I told them that my dog was 1 year old and just neutered. I heard someone in the background say that hadn't picked up anything like that. Two weeks later animal control pounded on my door; which my wife answ...

04/27/2009   |   Category: Animals   |   State: Texas   |   #16217

If the animals owner does not pay bills for board or vet bill, can I put a lien against the animal?

I HAVE A HORSE OWNER WHO DOES NOT PAY HER BOARD OR VET BILL. SHE DOES NOT PAY FOR SUPPLEMENTS, OR WORMING OR SHOEING. IF SHE DOES, IT CAN BE 4 TO 5 MONTHS LATE AND NOT IN FULL FOR BACK BILLS. SHE HAS SEEN THE HORSE TWICE IN TWO YEARS FOR 10 MINUTES. I TRAIN AND KEEP THE HORSE IN TOP SHAPE LIKE MY OWN. HER HORSE IS A PART OF OUR FAMILY. I WANT TO TELL HER IF YOU DO NOT PAY THEN ...

04/27/2009   |   Category: Animals   |   State: Arizona   |   #16154

I am liable for replacing the car that hit and killed my cow that was loose?

One of my cows got out of the pasture. She was struck by a car. No injuries to driver, no passenger, car totaled and cow dead. Car owner did not have proper insurance on car to cover this accident. He was speeding excessively. He wants me to buy a replacement car. Question: what is my legal responsibility for this situation?

03/05/2009   |   Category: Animals   |   State: Georgia   |   #15459

Is it legal for a rancher we live by to shoot and kill our dog without any notice or defense?

A cattle rancher killed our dog while he was on his property for a short time. He shot him right in front of our daughter. Does he have to prove that my dog did damage in court. Coyotes and other animals are here. Are there special circumstances for knowing we were right there to get him. Does the rancher have to show proof that our dog was the one who killed a calf?

02/08/2009   |   Category: Animals   |   State: California   |   #15194

Can the HOA sue me to have my service dog removed since he exceeds the weight limit?

We have a Service Dog and are having problems with our Home Owners Association because we didn't ask permission to have him (he exceeds the size rule) prior to moving in. Also, we didn't get him certified until after the feud began and we were told only a Service Dog would be considered. They are initiating a legal process for us to remove him. Can they do this?

02/05/2009   |   Category: Animals   |   State: Florida   |   #15165