Civil Actions » Defamation Legal Questions and Answers

Can someone publish a book on your life without your consent?

I was interviewed by someone writing a book. My understanding was that the purpose of the interview was to collect people's thoughts on the topic of her book (in this case the idea of being 'wrong') In the context of the conversation I unwittingly disclosed many personal details of my life. She has now written my life story, in the context of one of the chapters, with graphic...

05/10/2009   |   Category: Civil Actions » Defamation   |   State: New York   |   #16627

Can someone put up a sign in their front yard saying someone is a child predator?

Can someone put up a sign in their front yard saying someone is a child predator, is it their right under the 1st amendment? This is what the police have told me, is it true?

04/29/2009   |   Category: Civil Actions » Defamation   |   State: California   |   #16439

What can I do to make my ex husband stop discussing my personal character in a negative way?

Can I file Harassment charges against my ex-husband for constant verbal abuse, excessive certified letters, and constant threats against my personal character to be discussed with my children?

04/29/2009   |   Category: Civil Actions » Defamation   |   State: ALL   |   #16426

What can I do if someone is spreading rumors and causing emotional distress to my family?

I have an in-law that has spread gossip, true, somewhat true etc.: At my social events, my place of work, church....anywhere she might. This has caused severe emotional trauma to me and others in my family. Can this be a suable situation?

04/29/2009   |   Category: Civil Actions » Defamation   |   State: Ohio   |   #16397

What can I do if I feel I was discriminated against at work?

What would be the course of action for a written reprimand given to an employee that contained untrue statements, slander, defamation of character and threatening gestures (pointing of finger in face)?

04/27/2009   |   Category: Civil Actions » Defamation   |   State: Virginia   |   #16141

What can my wife do if she is being discriminated agsinst at her employment?

My wife, a teacher with over 20 years experience, has been working at a local private school for five years. The Headmaster's wife works in the English department with her. This very powerful woman has been 'mentoring' a well-below average student who is in my wife's class, and who consistently refuses to do the work, which forces my wife to give him low grades. The success of ...

04/07/2009   |   Category: Civil Actions » Defamation   |   State: Indiana   |   #15903

Is it legal for my wife to use spyware to extort me during our divorce?

My case is complicated as I'm sure many are. I am in a divorce preceding and am currently separated from my wife. I am staying at the house and she had chose to leave and move into a condo in our same town. She had, when we were married installed a program on our computer to track the usage of her son...so she claims. She used this program to track my usage on the computer and ...

02/28/2009   |   Category: Civil Actions » Defamation   |   State: Texas   |   #15395

What can I do if a co-worker is making false statements to my boss about my work?

I've been working at a nonprofit mental health organization for a little over a year. Throughout the period, my boss has treated me badly enough to make me feel a non-existing individual in occasional manner. My co-worker, who has a medical disability, is always late on her assignments; which I end up completing, and never on time for the meetings. Simply put, I have recently ...

02/06/2009   |   Category: Civil Actions » Defamation   |   State: California   |   #15178

Can our rental company contact my husband's employer and slander him?

We're hoping to understand if we have a slander case on our hands. My family was living in a temporary rental home due to a corporate relocation. A few weeks before we moved to a permanent residence, I was pulling into the garage in my car and was about 2/3 in, when the garage door reversed and came down on the car roof. Fortunately for us, there was no damage to my car and ...

12/16/2008   |   Category: Civil Actions » Defamation   |   State: Arizona   |   #14818

Does My Employer Need To Have 15 Or More Employees In Order To File Federal Charges Against Him

The Pastor of our church was very inappropriate in several ways. He has less than 15 employees. I was told that he had to have 15 employees to punish him on a federal level. Is there something I can do on a state level? I was his personal assist for 6 months and was never paid like promised. He has embarrassed me and slandered me. What can I do?

11/21/2008   |   Category: Civil Actions » Defamation   |   State: Texas   |   #14713