Civil Rights » Privacy Legal Questions and Answers

Is it Invasion of Privacy to Photograph a Cemetery?

I take photos of grave sites for others and one cemetery has prohibited photos being taken and says there are privacy laws regarding grave sites and will not allow photos w/o written permission from family members. Is there such a law prohibiting this? The cemetery is open to the public and not gated. I am involved in creating memorials for KIA's from Vietnam and the cemetery...

07/11/2009   |   Category: Civil Rights » Privacy   |   State: North Carolina   |   #17493

Can a Credit Union Disclose My Records to Another?

I feel as though my privacy disclosure act has been breeched by our credit union. I need to know what my legal rights are concerning this. Our personal information and copies of our loan payment documents were given to a person without our permission by the Credit Union manager. What are our rights under the law for this act?

06/30/2009   |   Category: Civil Rights » Privacy   |   State: Georgia   |   #17271

What is needed to persue an invasion of privacy lawsuit?

I had a felony conviction in 2002 and told my employer about it when hired in 2004. In 2006 he 'GOOGLED' my name and found references about the felony investigation---not the outcome--online. He told me about it so I would be aware. He frequently referred to these internet entries over the next 18 months. I was terminated in November 2007. I received two employment offers ove...

04/29/2009   |   Category: Civil Rights » Privacy   |   State: ALL   |   #16455

Is it legal for the IRS to secretly record the conversation of the examiner and taxpayer?

During an IRS examination; Is it legal for them to secretly record the conversation between the examiner and the taxpayer without advising the taxpayer? If different legality (US vs Iowa ) which would apply? Last but not least how far back can they go looking for small mistakes amounting to 2 to 300 dollars in deductions caused by incorrect listing where taxpayer failed to redu...

04/28/2009   |   Category: Civil Rights » Privacy   |   State: ALL   |   #16336

Is it a crime to record a private conversation?

Can an employee record a conversation that her supervisor is having with other employees?

04/28/2009   |   Category: Civil Rights » Privacy   |   State: California   |   #16256

What is a summons concerning 'invasion of privacy' with a court appearance?

I received a summons concerning 'invasion of privacy' with a court appearance four weeks from now. How would one find out what this is concerning ?

04/24/2009   |   Category: Civil Rights » Privacy   |   State: Indiana   |   #16116

Invasion of Privacy Law

Does the following fall under the invasion of the privacy law? What kind of charges can we take against the party? Could you please provide detailed explainaton and the back-up law against this: Hotel takes pictures of a untidy guest room when the guest is out and send the pictures to the guest's employer.

04/13/2009   |   Category: Civil Rights » Privacy   |   State: New York   |   #15966

Is it illegal for the company to disclose personal information regarding my medical leave?

I am a manager at a large retail company. In May I went on an fmla leave due to my alcoholism and sought help. Recently it has come to my knowledge that our HR manager told several other people the reason I was on medical leave. Is there a legal issue regarding the disclosure of this information by HR?

03/30/2009   |   Category: Civil Rights » Privacy   |   State: New Jersey   |   #15823

What can I do about my neighnor installing a camera facing my bedroom?

My neighbor put a surveillance camera facing my bedroom, child's room and living room. Real or fake camera, I do not know it it is constantly recording. Isn't there a law against that? What can I do? This causes my family and I a lot of stress and takes the comfort away from my home.

03/17/2009   |   Category: Civil Rights » Privacy   |   State: California   |   #15670

Proving that a Federal Agency Engaged in Spoliation

How is it possible for a plaintiff to prove that a FEDERAL AGENCY engaged in INTENTIONAL spoliation of evidence. If proven, what damages can be obtained in federal court.

03/13/2009   |   Category: Civil Rights » Privacy   |   State: ALL   |   #15615