Debts and Credit » Cosigning Legal Questions and Answers

As a cosignor, am I still liable when the principal debtor files bankruptcy?

I am a co-signer for my daughter on a fixed home loan mortgage in Nevada. Daughter has taken all financial responsibilty for the loan and has been making all pmts on the loan for several years. My daughter is now considering filing for chapter 13 bankruptcy. If she does, what is my responsibility regarding the mortgage loan? would I be responsible for the existing loan payment...

01/20/2011   |   Category: Debts and Cr... » Cosigning   |   State: California   |   #24045

Is there any way to force my step daughter to pay for her student loans I cosigned on?

I am a co-signer on a student loan for my stepdaughter who continuously avoids payment on it. I have paid about $2000.00 on it over a period of 8 years. I am getting harassing phone calls from the lender. She also avoids them as much as possible, but the last 2 times she set up payment she had insufficient funds and then they proceed to me. Can I take out a debt warrant or is t...

03/10/2009   |   Category: Debts and Cr... » Cosigning   |   State: Virginia   |   #15536

As a Co-signer is there a way I can force the sale of the vehicle?

I co-signed for a car. Is there any way I can legally force a sale of the car?

03/09/2009   |   Category: Debts and Cr... » Cosigning   |   State: Pennsylvania   |   #15492

I had a friend who brought a car and she needed someone to co-sign for her. So I did. The mistake of my life. Sometimes sh...

I had a friend who brought a car and she needed someone to co-sign for her. So I did. The mistake of my life. Sometimes she'll make the payment and other times she doesn't. The loan is thru Wells Fargo and they stated I could go and get the car since my name was on the Title. I have a copy of the title. Is there anything I can do to get this car or get my name off the loa...

05/28/2007   |   Category: Debts and Cr... » Cosigning   |   State: Kansas   |   #5998

Am I responsible for a vehicle I co-signed for that is almost paid off

I co-signed an autombile loan for a friend. The loan is nearly paid off and I am not concerned about obligations to the creditor. My questions is do I bare any legal responsibility if this car is involved in a car accident resutlting in personal injuries or property damage since I am listed as a co owner.

05/27/2007   |   Category: Debts and Cr... » Cosigning   |   State: Colorado   |   #5977

I co-signed a vehicle for an ex-fiance. She later took off with the vehicle across the US, left it with a person I didn't eve...

I co-signed a vehicle for an ex-fiance. She later took off with the vehicle across the US, left it with a person I didn't even know and took off to another state. When I recovered the vehicle, it was nearly six months late in payments and had some minor damages which I paid for out of my own pocket and even my retirement fund. Is it possible for me to sue her for those late pa...

05/13/2007   |   Category: Debts and Cr... » Cosigning   |   State: California   |   #4606

How can I have my ex-boyfriend removed from the title of our financed vehicle?

An unmarried couple (engaged), living together, purchased a vehicle with both names on title/loan. Actually, I was the primary signer, he was secondary. We have now split up, and vehicle is with me. I have been making the payments. How can I get his name off of title/loan and how can I get the second set of car keys from him (legally)? He refuses to give me keys.

05/09/2007   |   Category: Debts and Cr... » Cosigning   |   State: Georgia   |   #4323

How do I have my name removed from the loans on my husband's cars?

My husband and I have live insurance together. He recently asked for a divorce and the company will not give me information on the policy if he says not to. Can I have him submit a letter to them authorizing them to keep me informed about my policy and that he can't make changes unless notifying me. The other part of my question: I co-signed for my husband's two cars. The...

05/05/2007   |   Category: Debts and Cr... » Cosigning   |   State: Pennsylvania   |   #3857

What can I do to remove a loan that I co-signed on that has not been paid accordingly?

I co-signed a loan for a bike at HSBC/YAMAHA for my son-in-law in 2004, and now I find out he missed payment in 2004. Now in 2007 it has messed my credit score up bad. I cant get anyone to talk to me even though I co-signed. What can I do?

04/06/2007   |   Category: Debts and Cr... » Cosigning   |   State: California   |   #2700