Debts and Credit Legal Questions and Answers

How Can I Collect a Debt Without Suing?

Is sending someone to small claims court the only way to collect money owed to me. This is a personal matter not business. I had sent this person 3 letters regarding this debt, and never heard a response.

05/16/2012   |   Category: Debts and Credit   |   State: Virginia   |   #25674

Can I Pay My Mother's Bills if She's in a Nursing Home?

My mom had to be placed in a nursing home. The bank sent, her a form saying she should pay a certain amount to them. If I pay the money to the bank can the state still come in and take the property.

09/06/2011   |   Category: Debts and Credit   |   State: Ohio   |   #25464

In California, how do we only have one spouse sign for the mortgage?

Hi. I am trying to buy a house and I have already got approved for the loan, but my husband has a lot of debt and his name is not on the loan. The loan officer said that I need to file a finanacial separation to show that my husband will have no interest in the house and then he will do the final approval. Can you tell me how to do this?

08/18/2011   |   Category: Debts and Credit   |   State: California   |   #25364

What Can I Do if My Ex-Husband Violated a Court Order and Changed the Health Insurance on Our Child?

I have a supplemental judgment modification that states my ex husband is 80% and I am 20% responsible for all out of pocket medical expenses. I just received a notice from a collection agency regarding an $800 plus $150 interest medical bill from 2010 for our oldest son. The bill was in my husband's names as he is the one required to carry primary insurance on the children. App...

08/08/2011   |   Category: Debts and Credit   |   State: Oregon   |   #25300

Is a spouse liable for the credit card debt of the other in North Carolina?

Credit card company has a court order against my wife to repay over $30,000.00 in credit card debt, a card she took out in her name only. My question is can they seize my bank accounts and cars that are in my name only?

07/26/2011   |   Category: Debts and Credit   |   State: North Carolina   |   #25235

Do I Have to Pay My Deceased Spouse's Hospital Bills?

I have been paying on my deceased husband's medical bills for 3 years now. Am I responsible for his bills? I have heard that there is an OLD law on the books that says a wife is NOT responsible for her deceased husbands bills.

06/15/2011   |   Category: Debts and Credit   |   State: Missouri   |   #25031

Should I Remove My name on a Joint Account With My Spouse if I Owe Money?

I recently had a judgement filed against me. I am also a back-up signer on my wife's business account. Should I remove my name on the account?

06/14/2011   |   Category: Debts and Credit   |   State: Pennsylvania   |   #25023

How Do I Find Out if a Debt Collector is Trying to Collect a Debt Discharged in Bankruptcy?

6 years ago Default Judgment On small balance credit card that A predator used without permission 6 years ago garnishment was started But immediately dismissed I do not know if it was due to the U.S. Independent Inspector General who had fined the attorneys for illegally discharging the predator's fraudulent debt and conspiring to repeatedly perpetuate the career of...

04/27/2011   |   Category: Debts and Credit   |   State: Oklahoma   |   #24734

What Property is Exempt From Creditors in Washington?

I was in an accident (my fault) although my ins was 3 people 100,000 each, two people will be over 100,000. I am disabled and collect a small pension from my late husband. I also own my house out right and have an IRA. What is protected? I am afraid of losing my house and it is the only thing that keeps me going as I spend 99 % of my time here.

04/27/2011   |   Category: Debts and Credit   |   State: Washington   |   #24732

How can I place a lien on someone either against their assets?

How can I place a lien on someone either against their assets or just have the lien filed so the person cannot acquire a credit card or obtain a loan? I had a verbal agreement with this person that they would reimburse me for payment made on their cell phone account. The amount I am owed is approx. $350.00 and to date the person has not paid me anything. This situation has be...

04/01/2011   |   Category: Debts and Credit   |   State: New York   |   #24544