Debts and Credit Legal Questions and Answers

How Do We Respond to a Collection Agency for a Debt We Don't Recognize?

My wife has received a letter from a law firm representing FIA Card Services demanding payment on an old account - more than 8 years old, that we do not reconinze. What do we do?

04/14/2010   |   Category: Debts and Credit   |   State: California   |   #21787

Can a Company Charge 300% Interest in Tennessee?

Can a company in Virginia charge 300% on a loan that involves holding the title of a person's car as collateral?

04/10/2010   |   Category: Debts and Credit   |   State: Tennessee   |   #21739

Can a Creditor Attach My Assets in a LLC?

I have a judgement for 2,000.00 against me. Its pushed me to file bankruptcy. I know they can freeze bank accounts and garnish my wages. My question is can they freeze my llc partnership I have with my brother and family? We just started this company. My name is on the account. However its my family's money not mine. Can they come after it?

03/17/2010   |   Category: Debts and Credit   |   State: Oregon   |   #21429

Am I Required to Appear at a Deposition After Not Paying a Judgment Against Me?

Florida, My mother is a minister, she living off of donation of our bible school, she has no salary, no assets. HSBC obtained a judgement for a credit card last year. A request was sent to her by mail for deposition upon oral exam. Does she have to appear? The collection attorneys also sent a Fact Information Sheet. What options does she have?

03/15/2010   |   Category: Debts and Credit   |   State: Florida   |   #21408

How Do I Save my Credit Rating if I Can't Pay a Hospital Bill?

Upfront billing asked for before a surgery then tripled after. Unemployed, uninsured, no income, ran out of unemployment. How do I save my credit?

03/14/2010   |   Category: Debts and Credit   |   State: Michigan   |   #21384

Can a Bank Share My Information With Another Lender?

Is it legal for a bank and loan copany to get together and try to turn my personal loan to a home equity loan?

02/26/2010   |   Category: Debts and Credit   |   State: Virginia   |   #21184

Is a Lender Required to Tell Me the Amortized Cost of a Loan Including Interest?

I had two commercial zero track lease for Chrysler financial lease indicated 52 k and change but after signing lease found out it was 75 K when you add up amortization schedule. Amoritation schedule never showed sub total but at top of schedule 22 point print is 52 K agreed number. Both trucks have been returned and Chrysler is asking me to pay balance of two leases after truck...

02/19/2010   |   Category: Debts and Credit   |   State: California   |   #21050

How Can a Spouse Not Be Liable for the Other Spouse's Debts?

If you are married but do not want responsibility for spouses debts or a law suits, what must you be declared. It's called femme... I think. FYI: there are NO debts or laws suits in our case at this time and there may never be any, but should something occur, I would like not to be responsible for the problem.

02/16/2010   |   Category: Debts and Credit   |   State: Pennsylvania   |   #20981

Does a Court Judgment Take Priority Over a Line of Credit?

Does a judgement filed by the Circuit Court of Maryland take priority over a line of credit given to the owner of property by a bank? Situation: Home has no mortgage is assessed a $130,000 by county. Has a line of credit for $100,000 which has been used to limit. Therefore only $30,000 equity remains. I need to use property as collateral for a bond of $75,000. If the Circuit Co...

01/09/2010   |   Category: Debts and Credit   |   State: Maryland   |   #20360

What Are My Options if A Creditor Files a Lawsuit Against Me for a Debt I Cannot Pay?

My wife just got a summons and complaint from a furniture retailer. The purchase was in 2002 and the balance is $3800.00. We are retired and on a fixed income. We could not come to payment arrangements with the retailer. What are our options?

12/22/2009   |   Category: Debts and Credit   |   State: Michigan   |   #20162