Where do you file for divorce if you have moved from the state you were married in?

Full Question:

If you were married and lived in Louisiana but now reside in Arkansas after a long separation, can you file in either state or do you have to file ( divorce) in the same state you were married.
01/31/2007   |   Category: Divorce   |   State: Arkansas   |   #1193


Louisiana law requires that the one or both of the parties must have been a resident of the State. For purposes of divorce proceedings, if a spouse has established and maintained a residence in a parish of the State of Louisiana for a period of six months, there shall be a rebuttable presumption that he has a domicile in this state in the parish of such residence. La. CCP Art. 10

A spouse must be a resident of the state of Arkansas for at least 60 days prior to filing for the divorce and the divorce will not be finalized until a 3 months waiting period has passed after the initial filing.

Ask Legal Question

Your Privacy is 100% Confidential!