Do I file for divorce in the state I was married or the state I live in?

Full Question:

I was married in SC in 1996 or 1997 and now live is WI. Which state do I have to file for divorce in?
01/03/2007   |   Category: Divorce   |   State: Wisconsin   |   #74


In Wisconsin, at least one of the parties to the divorce action must have resided in Wisconsin for at least six months and the county of filing for at least thirty days prior to the commencement of the action.

South Carolina law requires that one of the spouses must be a resident of the state for a minimum of one year (three (3) months if both parties are residents of South Carolina) immediately prior to the filing of the petition for divorce.

Ask Legal Question

Your Privacy is 100% Confidential!