Employment » Independent Contractor Legal Questions and Answers

I am looking at a cleaning position but am I an Employee or Independent Contractor?

I am looking at a cleaning position from an business that contracts to provide service to multiple dr offices. The owner of this business wants me to sign agreement that I am a subcontractor with him as the contractor. He will require me to punch in and out of job sites, wear a shirt with his business. He will not take taxes out. If I am sick and unable to work I will have to f...

01/07/2017   |   Category: Employment » Independent ...   |   State: Michigan   |   #29688

Do I Need to Report Income as an Independent Contractor to Unemployment?

Hi there!! HELP!! I am currently on unemployment and am working as an 'independent contractor' starting next week. Do I still have to claim that as income so as to cut my unemployment even thought I have no taxes being taken out?

10/06/2010   |   Category: Employment » Independent ...   |   State: Florida   |   #23341

Can I Pay Insependent Contractors for Bringing in New Clients for a Web Hosting Business?

I own a website hosting company and like all the other website hosting companies I want to host more websites to grow my company bigger. To get more websites/clients to my company faster I want to offer an incentive to my existing and future clients to bring me websites for hosting. I want to know if it is legal for me to offer my existing clients and future clients a monthly r...

03/10/2010   |   Category: Employment » Independent ...   |   State: Ohio   |   #21326

I want a form that my uninsured painters can sign so if they are injured

I want a form that my uninsured painters can sign so if they are injured or fall off the roof they or their estates don't sue me. Which one should I use please?

09/28/2009   |   Category: Employment » Independent ...   |   State: South Carolina   |   #18836

How Can I Avoid Workers Compensation Coverage for My Drivers?

n.how can I put drivers on my Vans without Buying Workers Comp. Ins,and be ok

08/08/2009   |   Category: Employment » Independent ...   |   State: New Hampshire   |   #18000

What if we entered into a partnership formed under a Member Managed LLC business structure

Would my wife and I be considered self employed by OSHA (under the U.S. Department of Labor) if we entered into a partnership formed under a Member Managed LLC business structure?

04/28/2009   |   Category: Employment » Independent ...   |   State: ALL   |   #16243

Am I legally responsible for the back pay of discounted childcare?

I work as a speech therapist for a school district through a contract agency. When I registered my son for daycare at the district I was offered a 20% employee discount. I stated I was a contractor and was told I was still eligible for the discount. Now, 10 months later they say that was wrong and I owe the 20% due by the end of the month ($1300). Can they take back the discou...

04/27/2009   |   Category: Employment » Independent ...   |   State: ALL   |   #16148

Do I need to have a liability waiver for an independant driver for my company in case of an accident

I own a transportation company with only 1 independent contractor. I would like to add a co-driver. My question is: Do I need to have a liability waiver for that driver and how do I go about getting one? I need it so that if he were to get into an accident, he would be responsible for himself and anyone else he may have hurt. I would also like for him to be responsible for the ...

03/17/2009   |   Category: Employment » Independent ...   |   State: Michigan   |   #15662

As an independant contractor when should I expect to be paid for services by law?

I am an independent pilot car driver for a trucking company. I worked three days. On the second day I was involved when the load was damaged. The next day I was moved to another position. On the third day I was fired. The other 5 independent pilot car contractors were told to report for the next day. The trucking company owes me $2,700.00 and wants to wait to pay in 30 to 45 d...

02/20/2009   |   Category: Employment » Independent ...   |   State: Texas   |   #15307